• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Underrated/Overrated Dolls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Underrated/Overrated Dolls
Yes, I've seen that and I don't like this construction at all. That's why I don't really like the designer couple Belle and Beast either.

He has a big upper body but his legs and lower body aren't thick at all, how could they support the weight of a movie accurete upper body? It would be heavier than the little padding they gave the doll, I think. On all fours, that's how it could work in my opinion :)

beauty-and-the-beast-disneyscreencaps.com-3676.jpg

Its like youre describing me haha I have a rather big tummy and really skinny legs no wonder I go out of balanced sometimes lol i think disney are trying to make the same mold for all their dolls. Women for example all have the same body but just different head. Thats why I found it ridiculous when one pointed out that the belle doll was overrated because she has skinny arms and wrist. Arent they all? Thats unfair for belle being judged by her limbs when the rest are the same. The sleeve of the dress just emphasized her limbs. Disney I think avoids making new molds maybe to save money or something. Gastons mold may probably be the same as aladdins or philips. They just padded his top to make him look muscular. I dont mind though because there were some scenes that he wasnt that bulky particularly when he went proposing by the door. He looked rather slender there. Now im excited for moana because she will be in a different mold altogether and I must say very realistic.

Oh, sorry, I did'nt meant to be offensive :(
I guess you are right, it's simply easier and cheaper to use the same mold.
I'm always amazed how much the outfit influences the appearance of the dolls. To me, her neck looked long although I knew she had the exact same as the others. It must be the off-shoulder dress' effect.
That's one thing I like about Hasbros princess dolls, even if they don't have different body moulds, there is a variation in their height, short, avarage and tall. But look at Snow White, she is short and elegant while Pocahontas is much taller and more muscular and has a bigger bust.

Overrated
Designer Maleficent - I'm the biggest Maleficent fan, but I have no desire to get this doll. I feel like most of the other designer villains have very chic and intriguing looks. I feel like the Maleficent designer just looks too costumey without looking movie accurate. I guess what I'm trying to say is that she could look more modern fashion, but they stuck too close to her movie costume to make that work. But she's not close enough to her movie look to work in that way, either. I hope that makes sense.

17" Elsa - Hear me out. This is a beautiful doll, but I've not seen any evidence that this would be as sought after if it wasn't rare/expensive. When I see photos of it, I think it looks kind of basic, and cannot fathom someone paying a thousand dollars for it. I actually have similar feelings towards 17" Snow White (braces self).

I would think the same of the original 17" Elsa if I didn't own her, Everytime I look at photos online I think man, why is she worth so much? Then I take her out and look at her, and I can just feel the "cold", She is stunning in person. I won't beat you up over thinking she's underrated, because I own her and think the same thing sometimes. In fact if anyone ever wanted too I would probably trade her for a Snow White.

I really like my Designer Maleficent too, she looks great next to the Aurora/Phillip set.

Underrated

FF Anna,I really love this doll, she is perfect IMO, Every Detail is Beautiful, and I love the accessories given with it, Disney could have just put the doll in the dress in there but I feel they went the extra mile when they added the clock and bracelet.

I feel the entire release of 17" sleeping beauty is underrated. I like them all a lot Maleficent and Phillip are really so fantastic in person, I'm glad I didn't pass on them. I also think Aurora is very well done, I have seen photos of her deboxed and she looks even better, I'm tempted to debox my pink one.

Overrated

Yellow Dress Belle I owned her for a while but I don't have regrets on selling her, I feel she didn't do belle justice, she was stuffed into her box her rose toilet paper things on her dress were weird and started to fray without even touching them, the gems on the rose flaked off over time.

I agree with you that the Red Queen LE is underrated. She, and her box, are very beautifully detailed and she really has a dark, quirky beauty.

I would say all the platinums are overrated because I find they have barely more detail than the LE dolls (in fact, I expect that level of detail on an LE doll) and Disney's prices are bizarrely high to the point I feel shocked and offended.

I especially feel this way as I have non-Disney LE dolls that are made of truly top quality materials (hand-painted porcelain, glass eyes, real velvet, silk, peals, and gold thread, etc) for around $100, and meanwhile the platinum sets are totally made from petroleum products (e.g., polyester satin, plastic 'pearls,' I'm not saying something's wrong with those materials, but it is not expensive so wow so barefaced to charge so much), again I feel just barely more ornate than LE which are already at the limit of what is plausible for them to charge.

I don't judge or mean to offend the people who buy them of course because we all have our unique tastes and I'd never say, "well, I wouldn't pay nearly that much for XYZ so you oughtn't either" (a rude and ignorant type of comment many doll collectors get in general), but it does make me dislike Disney more, every time they release a new platinum.

Just yesterday i had some companion who accompanied me when i fetched the dolls i purchased from another seller. She asked me some questions about the doll. When she found out the price, she asked me if it was made of porcelain, glass or anything expensive she can think of....i just said its expensive because of its edition. They dont make a lot of them thats why.

Underrated:

i just bought prince philip and ff anna....ff anna because i wanted to expand my anna collection and prince philip because i could resist his 65 cad price tag. Ive seen people in fb selling their ff sets and i found it odd that they queued for these dolls for hours and now people seem to want to get rid of them now...when i look at anna I see how closely she resemble coronation anna. She looks gorgeous.her face looks so amazing and her dress is so detailed. She looks so sophisticated and everything anna should be.
Prince philip i only got because my hubby told me to. The seller lowered ff annas price if i got him as well so i did. Now, i dont regret him because as soon as i came home and look at him he looks perfect to me. I thought gaston was handsome enough but prince philip looks so much better....

Overrated? To me all of them, honestly I don't get the appeal these dolls have. They are overpriced singing dolls with a costume instead of a dress, fulled with unecessary details, drag makeup and eyelashes, flats, and generic boxes. The only thing that is limited here is the name and price, cause is just cheap product. Clearly made for fans that will eat up anything with their favorite carácter, fine on itself but pay 500-750 dollars for that god awful BatB set is just foolish.
Don't get me started with that Moana doll agh...

First of all I find the "Clearly made for fans that will eat up anything with their favorite carácter" a bit offensive but OKAY. Anyway, you probably haven't seen many of these dolls or you wouldn't have said that, they are a totally different story than a regular singing doll. I do agree that the platinum sets are basically a ripoff but if you got the money and you want something I don't see why not :D it's not like Disney will stop making them (I just hope they'll reduce the prices because that's just a bit crazy) and btw the BatB set is gorgeous (overpriced, yes, but still gorgeous). I don't think the regular 17" are overpriced at all, they got amazing and beautiful (and necessary) details with beautiful detailed boxes (not generic at all, they follow a path but they each got their unique decorations, background and all). It's true that many of them got flats which is kinda of lame but from what I've seen Disney is changing that and btw some of them have beautiful shoes like Tiana's

7398558074_0992058022_b.jpg

or SQ/FF Elsa's:

22864824286_64b974f6c9_b.jpg

Alice's:

ab9ebe60721f25b8d24def83d52c3e9e.jpg

LA Cinderella's:

16782580546_47195244fa_b.jpg

Just look at Rapunzel (Purple and Wedding), Tiana, Alice, Snow White, Merida, Lady Tremaine, Coronation Anna, Aurora (both Blue and Pink), Beast, Winter Belle, they all have beautiful, amazing dresses with gorgeous details and materials, they're totally worth the price.

Last edited:
Overrated? To me all of them, honestly I don't get the appeal these dolls have. They are overpriced singing dolls with a costume instead of a dress, fulled with unecessary details, drag makeup and eyelashes, flats, and generic boxes. The only thing that is limited here is the name and price, cause is just cheap product. Clearly made for fans that will eat up anything with their favorite carácter, fine on itself but pay 500-750 dollars for that god awful BatB set is just foolish.

It's a touch rude to come into a LE doll thread just to say people who like the LE dolls will just "lap anything up," no? :nono:

Okay... um... what? Like sure, no one thing on Earth is going to be everybody's cup of tea, and I have nothing against discussion over something I like's faults. But there's a civil way to go about it.

It doesn't seem you are overly familiar with the line either? Given how much you have a problem with is just... factually not true? And it's odd to pick on Moana specifically when she is actually the opposite of the things you're complaining about?

(Also, quick shout out to those 'generic' boxes: they are well designed as displays for the dolls without having to debox or buy a special case. They also open up to allow full access to the doll without having to debox/cut seals/anything. I can't think of any other dollmaker that makes boxes as friendly to collectors as the 17" LEs!)

Not trying to be mean, but those "unnecessary details" are exactly what make the LE dolls more expensive. (And they don't sing, and have better arm articulation than the singing dolls, which I do like as well:)) I think the whole point is that they ARE a bit over the top and quite lovely. Also, those "generic boxes" have character specific trim on them, which I think is a nice touch. I don't even have an LE doll set, and your post kinda made me sad. I mean, I think it's totally fine to dislike the Disney LE's, maybe they're just not your thing (I dislike the Tonner Ellowynes, for example), but please don't make it sound like you're dissing those of us that do like them.:(
And about Moana, I don't know if you've seen the full-length pic of her, but she looks WAY better in that picture.:)

sour grapeing at its best! flats? there are dolls on heels and winter belle was wearing boots. generic boxes? I don't see anything generic..the boxes are part of the appeal of those dolls. apparently you dont own any dolls to generalized every doll you just see in photos. try saving money one day you can afford to buy one....and I wish my LE dolls could sing lol

Last edited:
At first I thought it was a troll but realized it's an actual member... That's sad.

opinions are fine but don't be rude, especially when you post them in a thread dedicated to the item you're spewing hate on. If you would have said something along the lines of 'not my cup of tea too much money not enough details, much prefer singing dolls' it would have come off sooo much better.

in short don't be a witch just cause it's close to Halloween.

At first I thought it was a troll but realized it's an actual member... That's sad.

opinions are fine but don't be rude, especially when you post them in a thread dedicated to the item you're spewing hate on. If you would have said something along the lines of 'not my cup of tea too much money not enough details, much prefer singing dolls' it would have come off sooo much better.

Yeah, that! He probably never saw one in person tho, FF Anna and Elsa were my first LE dolls and at the time I was very sceptical about spending that much money on something but the moment I saw Anna for the first time I was in awe! And when I first took out the plastic I felt and saw how many amazing details, fabrics these dolls have and how much work they put in them! Now I'm just addicted and my wallet cries but all is good :)

This. Everyone here has been so nice that I was REALLY surprised to see that an actual member had said that.

Also, MicksHardy, I've never seen one in person either, but everyone's pics on here tell me that they are quite worth their prices:) Lots of details and fancy-looking fabric, etc. Some of the stock photos aren't so good, but private collector photos say otherwise. Just me.:p

Oh man, some of those stock photos make me wonder why Disney even bothers *cringe* I'm very grateful we have people like drj1828 and pupuce taking such gorgeous photos for us! <3

This. Everyone here has been so nice that I was REALLY surprised to see that an actual member had said that.

Also, MicksHardy, I've never seen one in person either, but everyone's pics on here tell me that they are quite worth their prices:) Lots of details and fancy-looking fabric, etc. Some of the stock photos aren't so good, but private collector photos say otherwise. Just me.:p

Never seen one in person? I can't wait for you to do that then :D users photos are much better than the stock ones but trust me the moment you'll see one irl it will be even better! And this applies to me every time I buy one of them hahaha, I'm always in awe like a child when I see them in real life! Anyway Disney should really hire somebody else for the stock photos D: The Alice ones that came out this year were super awful and I'm sure that with better photos they could have sell many more of them!

That overly strongly worded statement surprised me too, but I am not offended and I hope I can make others feel less offended too. I would think there are only two possibilities:

-That person is a pin collector and just doesn't understand dolls. That is the only logical reason why they'd be in this forum and yet not "get" disney LE dolls to that extent. The tone of how it was written actually makes this unlikely, but it's still possible since I know that there was a thread on here about a different "other" Disney collectable (partnered with Brand X) and the thread title was phrased like "What do you think of Disney Brand X stuff?" or something, and I had this strong impulse to go in there and say how much I disliked and thought Brand X is a total overpriced, faddish, unattractive rip-off...ok, maybe not worded quite that strongly but -- strongly negative opinion. And then I stopped myself and said, "hey, from reading the thread, the OP and ALL the responders all like Disney Brand X stuff. What is my point in coming in here and saying how much I think it sucks? Is my goal here to poop on people's parades, who have done nothing wrong?" And with the maturity that comes with age, I closed that browser window (when I was younger I totally would've posted my negative opinion, since literally, all opinions were solicited - and I still tend to do that too much). I just don't "get' Brand X. Some people just don't "get" dolls.

- but much MORE likely from the tone in which it was written, it is as someone else already said: Sour grapes. And the thing about sour grapes is, I can empathize with that. These dolls are incredibly expensive!! It's not an accessible hobby for the vast majority of the population. And that pretty much sucks. So, yeah, I can put myself in the shoes of someone who cannot afford to get into this hobby despite really wanting to. And I can ALSO imagine that my hostility I would feel that it is unfair would lead me to focus on the dolls' imperfections. And yes I can even also imagine a younger (especially teen) me telling a whole forum-full of collectors of those dolls how ALL the expensive type of dolls they collect are all awful, just awful. You fools, I'd try to tell myself. Wasting your money. If I had that money I'd spend it wiser. I wouldn't even buy these dolls if I had a million dollars. They're imperfect in multiple ways. I don't want the dolls. You're the ones who should be hurting, not me! ....I've BEEN there.

...Because I really think the second possibility is much more likely, I hope that we can not react too strongly to what that poster posted. Personally I'm intentionally not paying attention to which username it is. I would rather see them in a fresh light in the future when they are maybe not in the heat of the moment (as I suspect they were when they wrote that). And I would also hope that they read this part: I swear I have literally been there. Now, I'm older, which has its pros and cons. More pros than cons! And a big one is that I buy myself any toys I want! I never actually thought I'd be in the place I am now, but here I am anyway. In the future, you too will probably be able to buy any toy you want. You WILL be on the other side, and know that most of us have definitely been on the "can't afford it" side for a LONG time! I'd bet anything that very, very few of us grew up in great big mansions full of pretty dolls and with a stableful of ponies etc etc! We are more alike than you might think. :hug:

Last edited:
That overly strongly worded statement surprised me too, but I am not offended and I hope I can make others feel less offended too. I would think there are only two possibilities:

-That person is a pin collector and just doesn't understand dolls. That is the only logical reason why they'd be in this forum and yet not "get" disney LE dolls to that extent. The tone of how it was written actually makes this unlikely, but it's still possible since I know that there was a thread on here about a different "other" Disney collectable (partnered with Brand X) and the thread title was phrased like "What do you think of Disney Brand X stuff?" or something, and I had this strong impulse to go in there and say how much I disliked and thought Brand X is a total overpriced, faddish, unattractive rip-off...ok, maybe not worded quite that strongly but -- strongly negative opinion. And then I stopped myself and said, "hey, from reading the thread, the OP and ALL the responders all like Disney Brand X stuff. What is my point in coming in here and saying how much I think it sucks? Is my goal here to poop on people's parades, who have done nothing wrong?" And with the maturity that comes with age, I closed that browser window (when I was younger I totally would've posted my negative opinion, since literally, all opinions were solicited - and I still tend to do that too much). I just don't "get' Brand X. Some people just don't "get" dolls.

- but much MORE likely from the tone in which it was written, it is as someone else already said: Sour grapes. And the thing about sour grapes is, I can empathize with that. These dolls are incredibly expensive!! It's not an accessible hobby for the vast majority of the population. And that pretty much sucks. So, yeah, I can put myself in the shoes of someone who cannot afford to get into this hobby despite really wanting to. And I can ALSO imagine that my hostility I would feel that it is unfair would lead me to focus on the dolls' imperfections. And yes I can even also imagine a younger (especially teen) me telling a whole forum-full of collectors of those dolls how ALL the expensive type of dolls they collect are all awful, just awful. You fools, I'd try to tell myself. Wasting your money. If I had that money I'd spend it wiser. I wouldn't even buy these dolls if I had a million dollars. They're imperfect in multiple ways. I don't want the dolls. You're the ones who should be hurting, not me! ....I've BEEN there.

...Because I really think the second possibility is much more likely, I hope that we can not react too strongly to what that poster posted. Personally I'm intentionally not paying attention to which username it is. I would rather see them in a fresh light in the future when they are maybe not in the heat of the moment (as I suspect they were when they wrote that). And I would also hope that they read this part: I swear I have literally been there. Now, I'm older, which has its pros and cons. More pros than cons! And a big one is that I buy myself any toys I want! I never actually thought I'd be in the place I am now, but here I am anyway. In the future, you too will probably be able to buy any toy you want. You WILL be on the other side, and know that most of us have definitely been on the "can't afford it" side for a LONG time! I'd bet anything that very, very few of us grew up in great big mansions full of pretty dolls and with a stableful of ponies etc etc! We are more alike than you might think. :hug:

Great answer! I tend to think like you too. I guess I am getting old too lol! I honestly believe that people are entitled to their own opinions and that's what makes it interesting. It also gave me the impression that the writer was somewhat frustrated. Without going into deep analysis it is very hard to analyze someone's feelings or tone through a post. Maybe this person just thinks spending 120$ on a doll a waste of money. I can understand why he would think this way but I have this very simple answer for him or her. I work hard to earn my money I don't drink I don't smoke I don't do drugs I don't buy expensive cars and I don't buy new clothes all the time because I simply choose to spend my money in what interests me and what interests me are Disneyana collectibles such as dolls, pins and ornaments. I agree it can get expensive and I recently had to make certain choices. In the grand scheme of things if you have that extra money to spend and keep your priorities straight I am all for it. Not only do you make the economy roll but you also partake in a hobby that is not illegal. And you get to join great Disney forums where you can share opinions and discuss Disney topics with people who share the same interests!

Never seen one in person? I can't wait for you to do that then :D users photos are much better than the stock ones but trust me the moment you'll see one irl it will be even better! And this applies to me every time I buy one of them hahaha, I'm always in awe like a child when I see them in real life! Anyway Disney should really hire somebody else for the stock photos D: The Alice ones that came out this year were super awful and I'm sure that with better photos they could have sell many more of them!
Nope, I wish! I'm hoping for purple Elsa for Christmas though, so we'll see :D the users photos/stock ones comparison is so striking to me-some of Disney's stock ones are SO BAD...:p Disney should hire someone from here to do the pictures, lol. :)

Elphaba-First, I gotta say I really like your avatar picture.:p Okay, moving on, lol. My personal issue wasn't with that user's negative opinion (trust me, there are things people collect that I dislike or think is kinda dumb!) but with the dissing of all the people that like the dolls. You (general you:)) can say something stinks without implying/saying the people who like said something are stupid for liking it. :/ I don't even have a Disney LE doll and certainly don't have a ton of money, but I love the LEs all the same, lol. I don't know if any of that makes sense...I should probably shut up now before I make anyone upset.:)

You mean this one?

http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?57508-Most-under-rated-over-rated-dolls

I haven't seen any of the LE dolls in person but I have some thoughts about them.

My problem with the Rapunzel set is that Rapunzel looks so severe. I saw a reőainted version of her and I liked her much better.

I guess it's because Belle is popular... but I agree that her skirt looks odd this way. And I'm not fond of the body construction of the Beast.

I have my oddities, too, 17 inch teen Elsa doll is my favourite and I know that she isn't popular at all.

Now I finally found that Rapunzel picture I was talking about, she's so much prettier with her new eyebrows in my opinion,here is she :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131370215@N08/24015336806/

Now I finally found that Rapunzel picture I was talking about, she's so much prettier with her new eyebrows in my opinion,here is she :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131370215@N08/24015336806/

omg i love the repainted one better! She looks more lifelike than the other one! Good job to the one who did it! I just had the purple rapunzel as part of my collection and I must say shes one of the most beautiful dolls out there. If i collect the designers i would love to get this set and also the ariel and eric one. Im not a deboxer though and i wont like my dolls repainted but I will like to have those classic dolls turn into something as beautiful as that and maybe even better. If i had a lot of money it would have been better to own 2 of each LE dolls and have one repainted like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back