• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

WDI Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
WDI Pins

DizRunner

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am very new to collecting Disney pins and I have some questions about WDI pins.

If they release a WDI pin, who gets them? Are they handed out to Imagineers? Are they to be sold to just Imagineers? How is the general public able to acquire one of these? Just through trading? Or do CMs buy them and then sell them on ebay or whereever?

There's one from 2003 that pinpics says was a LE 1000. Is that sort of high? Are the chances of me acquiring one pretty good?

Any thoughts\suggestions\advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

You need to be especially careful with the WDI pins. A lot of them are scrapped which means most of them are fake that are in circulation. If you see one, thoroughly inspect it before you agree to trade. I've received many, many fakes of my WDI pins sadly.

Alas, I cannot answer your questions because truthfully I know very little about how we, the public, acquires these pins. All I know is I'm able to trade for them which makes me a happy camper!

WDI pins are sold at Mickeys of Glendale, a cast member store. The event they had today was for D23 members- they periodically have pin events/releases there. As for the rarity or value of said pin , I have no idea. Some pins from there can be valuable, others not so much (as they can be clearances out for $2-$6.)

Only Cast Members can buy WDI pins. But they are traded for etc. LE 1000 shouldn't be too hard to find. :)

Last edited:
How do you figure that? I would disagree that "most in circulation are fake"...there are fakes of some pins, but no more so than any other source of pins. You used to be able to tell by back boarders alone, but both DSF and WDI pins have been terrible about that for the last 3-4 years.
WDI pins are available to cast members and an accompanied guest (there are limits depending on the occasion), typically up to two. There are also special events held in Glendale for members of D23 fan club, to which they allow the card carrying members enter with a guest. Then at WDDC and D23 events, there are typically pins available for sale. There are also several pins produced for just the WDI team members who participated on a specific project, those pins are not always available to anyone else but the team members. Even if the edition size says it's high, doesn't mean it's easy to get or cheap, or been scrapped. There are several eBay sellers which are cast members or good friends of cast members, that do sell legit WDI pins, sometimes at almost cost prices. It may help if you were to say which pin exactly it was you were inquiring about.

You need to be especially careful with the WDI pins. A lot of them are scrapped which means most of them are fake that are in circulation. If you see one, thoroughly inspect it before you agree to trade. I've received many, many fakes of my WDI pins sadly.

Alas, I cannot answer your questions because truthfully I know very little about how we, the public, acquires these pins. All I know is I'm able to trade for them which makes me a happy camper!

To make sure that I am up-to-date on my info, which pins do we believe have been scrapped? I know a bunch of the ID pins, and also the Princesses on Thrill Rides, anything else?

The public has a chance to buy WDI pins twice ayear. The Disneyana Fan Club has a Sunday show and sale in January and in Julyat the Crowne Plaza Garden Grove, just down the street from Disneyland. You cangoogle them to find their website for details. Mickeys of Glendale sets up aPOP UP store and will sell their latest pins at this show. The Disney SodaFountain and the Disney Employee Center (cast member store for the Burbankstudio lot) often set up POP UP stores as well.

FYI - WDI pins portray theme park attractions, sothere will not be WDI Brave pins until there is a Brave attraction! DSF pinsportray characters from Disney movies, so don't expect to see a DSF Duffypin(unless Duffy gets his own movie)

SNIP:::"FYI - WDI pins portray theme park attractions, sothere will not be WDI Brave pins until there is a Brave attraction! DSF pinsportray characters from Disney movies, so don't expect to see a DSF Duffypin(unless Duffy gets his own movie)" SNIP

um, beg to differ here....There are WDI Sorcerer hats of Frollo (hunchback of Notre dame, no attractions), Gothel(Tangled, no attractions), and assorted other characters/villains pins not involved in any attractions. If you count meet and greets, then there should definatly be a Brave pin soon. She has a whole area to herself at DLR by Small World. DSF has done numberous pins that have nothing to do with movies that have been released. Look at the hollywood star pins, the characters with ice cream, there was a set last year of assorted characters playing instruments on a stage... Nothing to do with current or past movies.

FYI - WDI pins portray theme park attractions, sothere will not be WDI Brave pins until there is a Brave attraction!
What? That's not true. There are many WDI pins not based on attractions only. Better look on Pinpics, just click the box that says "WDI" and then "Browse," you'll see TONS of pins that they've created that aren't attraction based (the name badges popped right into my mind).

Edit: Ha ha, Psycho Pixie beat me to it...

Last edited:
How do you figure that? I would disagree that "most in circulation are fake"...there are fakes of some pins, but no more so than any other source of pins. You used to be able to tell by back boarders alone, but both DSF and WDI pins have been terrible about that for the last 3-4 years.
WDI pins are available to cast members and an accompanied guest (there are limits depending on the occasion), typically up to two. There are also special events held in Glendale for members of D23 fan club, to which they allow the card carrying members enter with a guest. Then at WDDC and D23 events, there are typically pins available for sale. There are also several pins produced for just the WDI team members who participated on a specific project, those pins are not always available to anyone else but the team members. Even if the edition size says it's high, doesn't mean it's easy to get or cheap, or been scrapped. There are several eBay sellers which are cast members or good friends of cast members, that do sell legit WDI pins, sometimes at almost cost prices. It may help if you were to say which pin exactly it was you were inquiring about.

The pin I'm interested in is the 2003 WDI Pop Century\Mission Space\Philharmagic...

http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=27514

When I run the WDW Marathon or Half-Marathon, I always stay at Pop Century. So it's my home away from home. And I love MS and Philharmagic. So this pin would be special to me.

Regarding ebay sellers who are CMs or friends of CMs, do you know who they might be? Is there some sort of list of these sellers?

I know there are hundreds of pin sellers on ebay. On some of their listings they mention, contact me if your looking for a specific pin. I'd love to send messages to ALL of those types of pin sellers to have them lok for this pin. I only need to get lucky one time. :)

This thread has me worried... I recently purchased a few of the WDI ID Badge pins. Can anyone tell me which ones are fake? Some have the waffle pattern on the back, some have the hat pattern on the back. Is there a guide to fakes for this pin? This sucks! Thanks!

wb8iJ.jpg

I have a scrapper Small World Alice id, and the dips in the paint are large, many and obvious. Sometimes there are dips in authentic pins but it may be one dip, and not as big/deep. So take a look at your characters and is the paint full and glossy? Then you are probably okay. If you bought them with card, you should be okay. Many of the less popular characters were sold at discount for $4, so there are many out there available.

Last edited:
btowndude said:
FYI - WDI pins portray theme park attractions, sothere will not be WDI Brave pins until there is a Brave attraction! DSF pinsportray characters from Disney movies, so don't expect to see a DSF Duffypin(unless Duffy gets his own movie)

I don't see an UP attraction.image-3023781141.jpg
Or back then, I did not see a Haunted Mansion movie. image-2889621489.jpg

Last edited:
I stand corrected; I was repeating the lecture that I received by two CMs at MoG yesterday, when I said that I expected WDI Brave pins to be released, instead of the new Matterhorn pins. Hopefully, MoG will release some Brave pins at the DFC show & sale in July.

The public has a chance to buy WDI pins twice ayear. The Disneyana Fan Club has a Sunday show and sale in January and in Julyat the Crowne Plaza Garden Grove, just down the street from Disneyland. You cangoogle them to find their website for details. Mickeys of Glendale sets up aPOP UP store and will sell their latest pins at this show. The Disney SodaFountain and the Disney Employee Center (cast member store for the Burbankstudio lot) often set up POP UP stores as well.

Or if they put one of the characters on an attraction - so it could happen . . . .

Or if they put one of the characters on an attraction - so it could happen . . . .

Exactly, such as
[pinpics]80446[/pinpics]
WDI - Princesses and Princes on Thrill Rides - Rapunzel & Flynn on Big Thunder Mountain Pin

Which, coincidentally, was the first Tangled pin listed on Pinpics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back