• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Which one is right?

Which one is right?

Ajk

Let's party like its 2019.
Rating - 100%
211   0   0
I found several pins from this series on the WDW boards. Some of them had the lighter background more towards pink that you see on the left. The others had the darker background more towards purple you see if the right. Anyone know which ones are legit? (If either.)

(Pic to follow below.)

0fda900f6bf9c8a2bc9c2d2250b39451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost looks like the one on the left sits on a circle and the one on the right is an oval. I'm not famlier with this series but perhaps looking at other pins in it would show if the correct shape is circle or oval?

Reactions: Ajk
Almost looks like the one on the left sits on a circle and the one on the right is an oval. I'm not famlier with this series but perhaps looking at other pins in it would show if the correct shape is circle or oval?

Interesting observation. But it’s just an optical illusion. When I put them back to back they are exactly the same.

c8d5b3b104ec92e1ef76bdb33179c915.jpg

So the top row are lighter and I presume scrap.

And the bottom row is darker and I’m thinking probably legit.

I can live with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm the bottom right pin seems to have a different background color than the others on the bottom row....

I found this photo on the net not sure if it helps or not:
a0c614b7a8a45d27fecd5375ceda903b.jpg

and from another location:
pins.jpg

Last edited:
I have the original set , bought right on original release from HKDL . If pushed I'd say the darker version , but with mystery sets there's often re-releases so maybe the 2nd batch had a lighter pink/purple background ?

These were released (and still might be available in the US parks). I bought multiple packs at DLR to complete my set. Will also post pics.

I also wonder at the different colors just being normal variation when a new batch was made. So all might be legit?

Honestly, we bought sets from inside the park and completed 2 sets. We have lighter and darker colors from those sets.. I’ll try to add a photo in the morning. This series was not well done with color consistency

Picture of my set. Purchased directly from Disney in 2016.
(If you want any certain pin up close and outside the plastic... please just let me know.
afb593ec9431e21f1f1bbca1c97417bd.jpg
8aa83a27fee9bdfeb0729a35f230827a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for all the great input and insight. While I would love it if both versions were legit, based on all the great photos posted so far, it looks like only the darker ones are legit. Now I have to look more closely on each of the pins to see if the rest of the colors line up. (Which offhand they look like they do.)
Thanks again all!

Question? Do both have the FAC number on it? Are they the same FAC number? Or different?

Only because I think this and a few of the mystery packs are sent out to different factories to manufacture, which could potentially explain the different coloring.

Question? Do both have the FAC number on it? Are they the same FAC number? Or different?

Only because I think this and a few of the mystery packs are sent out to different factories to manufacture, which could potentially explain the different coloring.
Good question! Both Strombolis have FACs and they are different. Would that be the case if they were done by different factories? The dark one is FAC-046730-20076. The lighter one is FAC-046730-21253. I don't know if this means anything, but the FACs themselves are different colors. The darker ones have a dark gray while the lighter one has a lighter brown. In neither case are they part of the engraving as shown in the photo above.

And maybe even more interesting - all the light colored ones have the same FAC. But the dark ones have all different ones.

I am not familiar with FACs, but now I am wondering if I have it backwards and the light are legit. Or maybe they're just all scrap.

Aarrgghhh!! Why is this so hard?!

Good question! Both Strombolis have FACs and they are different. Would that be the case if they were done by different factories? The dark one is FAC-046730-20076. The lighter one is FAC-046730-21253. I don't know if this means anything, but the FACs themselves are different colors. The darker ones have a dark gray while the lighter one has a lighter brown. In neither case are they part of the engraving as shown in the photo above.

And maybe even more interesting - all the light colored ones have the same FAC. But the dark ones have all different ones.

I am not familiar with FACs, but now I am wondering if I have it backwards and the light are legit. Or maybe they're just all scrap.

Aarrgghhh!! Why is this so hard?!

Yes, different FAC numbers are supposed to mean different factories.

Just echoing that I think they both have the potential to be legit.
When I forget to bring any lanyard traders, I will tend to just go grab a bag of whatever pins come in sets like these. I have purchased the same sets, and had the colors be dramatically different, right out of the bags before. I suspect it's just minor variances when made years apart, in different batches, from multiple factories, etc.

I would be checking the shine/polish on the pins, do some of them have any of those "stripes" where it looks like they didn't take enough time to polish the pins? That's one of the easier tells of scrappers. How's the weight between the two? Is one lighter than the other? Typically the scrappers are made with cheaper metal for the base and will not be as heavy.
Just trying to offer some other signs to see if one is scrap or not, since the colors aren't always the immediate factor.

Thanks for the additional info. They don't have any other scrapper signs. It was just the differing colors that worried me. But maybe they are all legit. I think I 'll go ahead and put them in my trader bag and we'll see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for all the input!

Back