• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

11/15 UPDATED recent XMAS PIN RELEASES! Tokyo Disney and Japan Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
11/15 UPDATED recent XMAS PIN RELEASES! Tokyo Disney and Japan Pins

calie

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Pics of pin releases posted near the end of thread!

Hello all! One year lurker here and also a recent pin collector. I usually hang around the sales section of the forums, but I've been wanting to be more active in the community so I thought that making a thread regarding Disney culture in Japan might be informative to some of you.

I am currently living in Japan. I'm not as close to Tokyo Disney as I would like to be (ie. 3 hours away), but I have been there a good number of times.

I have been to all of the seasonal events at Tokyo Disney with the exception of the Tanabata Festival. So if you have any questions about Tokyo Disney or Japan pins or Japan's Disney Store, feel free to ask away and I will do my best to give you an answer!

Just a brief info about the Tokyo Disney Resort -- like California, there are two parks: Disneyland and Disney Sea.

Is it true that there is no pin trading at Tokyo Disney?

As some of you may know, pin trading is banned in TDR. Rumor says situations started to get violent or caused some hindrance, whatever the reason may be, pin trading is no longer done at Tokyo Disney parks. While you may not be able to trade, you can still purchase pins in several locations at the parks.

What kind of pins can be found at Tokyo Disney?

Aside from the general attraction pins that Disney parks have, most of the pins that come out are of two categories: 1) the seasonal event occuring at the time, and 2) new attractions. While almost all the pins are open edition, Tokyo Disney will only make a certain number of pins and will not restock should they sell out. In this sense, they are "limited" even if they are made in the thousands.

Then there's the game booth pin.

A unique type of pin can be attained via a carnival-type game booth called "Abu's Bazaar". If you want the pin, you need to lose the game! The winning prize is a large stuffed toy, usually of the Sensational 6 or Chip n Dale. Should you lose, you get to choose a pin. The pin is usually the Fab 5 dressed in the costume of the seasonal event. The common feature of this pin is that the characters are "chibified" or made to be "smaller and cuter" of their original versions.

The cost to play the game is about $5 USD -- it is a very inexpensive means to get a pin, but guests are limited to only 1 per game. This means if you want to get more pins, you would need to line up again to play and lose.

Here is an example of the prizes you can get at Abu's Bazaar. This is from the summer event.

The winning prize:

o0400030012463025761.jpg

The consolation (losing) prize:

o0300040012463026026.jpg
o0300040012463026025.jpg

Does the Disney Store sell pins?

Until about 2-3 years ago, they did. Then they suddenly stopped and I still do not know the reason why. However, the Disney store continues to sell pin badges (which they call "can badges"), large and small, of a wide range of Disney and Pixar characters.

Where else can you get pins?

Japan LOVES Disney. There are so many different events, shows, performances, exhibitions going on that it's really hard to keep track. And sometimes, it is at these special events that you can get these very special, sometimes limited, pins.

Below from left to right is from the orchestral performance, "Disney on Classic", and from the exhibition for "Walt Disney's 110th Anniversary".

pin97352
b1323ab862f6f73a6f38095205c5523a.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you decided to join us. Thank you in advance for the information you'll be able to share about Tokyo Disney.

Hi! Did you grow up in Japan? I was lucky enough to visit Tokyo and the Disney parks. That was 10 years ago and I still miss it!

Updated with more info!

Hi! Did you grow up in Japan? I was lucky enough to visit Tokyo and the Disney parks. That was 10 years ago and I still miss it!

Hi! I'm a Canadian who came to Japan 4 years ago and still working and living here :)

10 years! It's been a while. I'm sure you would be surprised to see how things are now. The parks have been putting up many new attractions in a short span of time, like 5 in the past 3 years, it's crazy! I hope you will be able to experience the magic again!

Hi.
I'm in Japan too but I've only been to Tokyo once since we've been here. The Disney parks here are really amazing, and Disney Sea is so unique; I really loved it. We went during Golden Week this year so it was a little busy, but it was still way shorter wait times and less crowds than a hot summer day in Disney World.

Hi.
I'm in Japan too but I've only been to Tokyo once since we've been here. The Disney parks here are really amazing, and Disney Sea is so unique; I really loved it. We went during Golden Week this year so it was a little busy, but it was still way shorter wait times and less crowds than a hot summer day in Disney World.

Hi Deartiana! It's good to know a fellow DPFer is nearby :D

I think you're really brave to have went during Golden Week; kudos to you! The busiest time I was at TDR was when there was an average of 100 min wait on all the popular rides (and about 240min for Toy Story). So for you to say that it was not as busy as WDW's summer is really surprising! Maybe I'll muster up some courage to try GW next year XD

Last edited:
Thanks for the information in the original post! Japan has some very nice and unique pins. You should be able to make lots of pin friends in other parts of the world, (US, Europe, etc.) Hope I can someday visit Tokyo!

Thank you so much for sharing such a great information!
I would love to go to Tokyo and Japan parks as well one day :)
Hope to trade with you in the future! ;)

Is it true that there is no pin trading at Tokyo Disney?

As some of you may know, pin trading is banned in TDR. Rumor says situations started to get violent or caused some hindrance, whatever the reason may be, pin trading is no longer done at Tokyo Disney parks. While you may not be able to trade, you can still purchase pins in several locations at the parks.

Rumor has it that it is banned because some people would buy out all the limited edition pins and then set up outside the store and sell them for higher prices.

What great info. I love the game pins and always trade for them when I see them. Especially Stitch. I have never been but plan to go on my 15th anniversary in a few years. How lovely that you've come out of hiding to join our community. Enjoy and message anytime.

Thank you so much for sharing such a great information!
I would love to go to Tokyo and Japan parks as well one day :)
Hope to trade with you in the future! ;)

You are most welcome! I hope I have something that will interest you in the future :D

What great info. I love the game pins and always trade for them when I see them. Especially Stitch. I have never been but plan to go on my 15th anniversary in a few years. How lovely that you've come out of hiding to join our community. Enjoy and message anytime.

Thanks for the kind words! How exciting for you guys! If you have any questions about the parks, please PM me :)

Thanks for the information in the original post! Japan has some very nice and unique pins. You should be able to make lots of pin friends in other parts of the world, (US, Europe, etc.) Hope I can someday visit Tokyo!

You're welcome! I'm excited to make pin friends around the world!

Rumor has it that it is banned because some people would buy out all the limited edition pins and then set up outside the store and sell them for higher prices.

(O_O) Seriously?! That doesn't sound like something that would happen in Japan as most people would sell it on online auction...how strange indeed!

Hi, I have posted a TON of Japan pins on PinPics et al when the images were supplied by "Disneydogs" (I believe). I can still offer to do this going forward.

Mike S.

I have a number of Japan pins and love them! It's too bad that trading is banned there, tho', since trading is the best part! Glad you posted this...thank you!

Hi, I have posted a TON of Japan pins on PinPics et al when the images were supplied by "Disneydogs" (I believe). I can still offer to do this going forward.

Mike S.

I saw that thread! Thanks, Mike, that would be of great help. I'm not as up-to-date with the pin releases in Japan, but I will post what I can!

Thanks for all the great info! Enjoyed reading it!

In regards to the trading ban, I also heard that the pin traders were getting really aggressive with other guests. Trying to get them to buy LE pins for them and to surrender their "free" pins (some free entrance pins I think)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back