• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Do you have pins on your Wants list that....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have pins on your Wants list that....
I don't see what they're beating me to. He asked me to trade. So I feel that why would they ask me to trade when they can't do the trade. That's why bulk requesting is frustrating

The theory (and it's a very likely one) is that the trader offered that pin to ten, twenty, fifty different people (of which you were one), and someone got back to the trader to finalize a trade for that pin before you did.

-JDG

The theory (and it's a very likely one) is that the trader offered that pin to ten, twenty, fifty different people (of which you were one), and someone got back to the trader to finalize a trade for that pin before you did.

-JDG

I get a lot of requests from pinpics trade assistant - and the canned email says that if you aren't interested in the trade to send a nice response back to the requester - so if a requester sends hundreds of requests for a pin trade - it seems kinda ridiculous..

..so my question is.. is there a way to turn off TA??

I get a lot of requests from pinpics trade assistant - and the canned email says that if you aren't interested in the trade to send a nice response back to the requester - so if a requester sends hundreds of requests for a pin trade - it seems kinda ridiculous..

ridiculous is the exact word i was thinking. lol.

..so my question is.. is there a way to turn off TA??

Yes, there is. When you go to 'My Pin Pics' and sign in to edit your collection AND trades/wants. Once you're signed in, you'll see an option near the top that says 'Do NOT include me in the Trade Assistant.' If you select that box and save the changes, you'll have turned off your TA.

I have 300+ pins on my wants but my reason is to better what I have now "Trade up" the other reason is because yes I love to pin trade, insted of driving 30min in a v8 engine there & 30min back at almost $4 a gal. I would rather pin trade at home unless I see an event at WDW. But even though I have that many wants I still get if I am lucky 1 or 2 a week in requests.

ridiculous is the exact word i was thinking. lol.

Well, the rest of us have gotten by with it for close to a decade just fine. You seriously want a system where I have to send a trade one person at a time, then have to wait for that one person replies before I send out my next trade request? I would NEVER make a trade! None of us would...it would be like trading on snail speed.

They're not ASKING you to trade directly, as you have stated- they're offering the POTENTIAL for a trade. There's a difference between mass communication methods and personal e-mails.

I just don't get why you would be offended by it once you understood how it works...

Last edited:
While hundreds of requests, is "out there," just this week I sent out requests to about 20 different people, for DL GWP map pins. I heard back from 3 people; 2 acceptances, one rejection. Anyone want to guess how long taken to send out and receive answers (or wait a reasonable period of time for a non-answer) to get through those 20 people? What are the odds that by the time you get near the end of the list, sending it out one by one, that the person still has the pin I want, and needs the pin I have?

I'm kind of curious if the people who have a problem with bulk requests, use Pinpics for sending out requests? Because, I think this is a case where people who do use Pinpics to send requests have a different perspective.

I'm kind of curious if the people who have a problem with bulk requests, use Pinpics for sending out requests? Because, I think this is a case where people who do use Pinpics to send requests have a different perspective.

I was wondering that myself- if they send requests at all, and if they do, are they really deleting people until they're only sending one at a time?

Trading on Pinpics is dead enough nowadays, I can't imagine limiting it that way...

In response to Broncobilly83, yes, having a wants list is difficult for many reasons.

1. The wants page is limited to what you want, not how badly you want those pins. There may be a few pins that are grails, but for the most part, many of them are open editions or high limited runs (LE 1000 or higher). It depends on the personal interest in the pin, so people may not be inclined to trade every pin on their list as a grail. In this case, maybe more categories in the wants listing would help (Grail, Basic, and Meh); if we went into knowing how badly someone might need the pin, then perhaps we may know what kind of trade may be in the works.

2. As far as flooding the box, yes, that is a problem even to this day. However, if traders know ahead of time about the level of importance your 'wants list', then perhaps the number of trade requests would decline.

In either case, it takes clear and courteous communication to find out about trade listings. Vague generalities and assumptions about listings really impairs trading and the pin trading community. Nobody wants a gruff response ("Well, then take it off your wants list!") as it hampers future trades as well as leads to speculation about both parties. A simple "Saw your wants and thought my (blank) pin would help you out. Let me know if you're interested." would be cordial enough to let the other person know that you want to trade. If you want to know how much they need the pin, just ask nicely and hope that you get the same kind of response.
Good luck and happy trading!

Sometimes when a pin comes out I think I want it but I have a hard time ever giving anything up for it. After awhile of it being on my wants list, sometimes I realize that I just don't want it anymore and take it off...So, that's why pins will stay on my list for awhile, it may seem like I don't want them, and sometimes it turns out that I don't and I just haven't figured that out yet.

She always nails it.

Generally, yes, I want everything on our wants. Some are for friends, some would make my heart skip a beat (!!!) and others - well, after I get a few TAs for it that don't get my juices flowing, I figure out I should probably just hit eBay and pick it up. Ex: I'm wanting the Mickey pancake, breakfast coffee and tea pin sets that came out lately (OE), but when I get a TA for an LE 500 for just the coffee...I won't jump on it. By the time I pay to ship it and swap a pin for it, it is just easier to buy it on the secondary market and that may make it seem I'm not interested.

Regarding Aleciadesu -
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Abyssinian28
Ummm, because they accepted another trade response from the same bulk trade request? In other words, someone beat you to it.
Abyssinian always nails it too. :) Maybe an example might help Aleciadesu: I could set up a trade request offering

in exchange for

today. The TA goes out tomorrow morning to, say, three different people who all have the dwarfs and all want the Tink. The first person to reply to the TA in the morning gets the trade, that's just SOP and how most of us have done it for years. Early bird and all. It isn't anything person against you - we PROMISE! :)

Abyssinian always nails it too. :)

Awww, shucks...thanks! I try...hehe. Sometimes I do feel like I'm sharing Erudolf's brain, too.

Been in this darned hobby for 7+ years, glad to see I got something out of it. Well, besides the pins, of course.

A lot of it is still opinions, though, so it's nice to have folks who "get" you and what you're saying...

No. The ones I want are the ones I really, really, really want. I'm in the process of organizing my collection and boy, that has been tedious. With over 2000 pins, I'm trying to decide which to put up for trade and which to keep.

It's so hard to choose! I'm working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back