• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PinPics Grading Service is Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
PinPics Grading Service is Live

disneykins

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
It looks like the PinPics Grading Service (PPGS) is now live. If anyone is interested in taking a look, here is the link http://gradingservices.pinpics.com/

I did a search on Ebay and there are PinPics graded pins for sale as well. Put in the search box PinPics graded pins and a few listings will pull up.

The site lists the process and factors that are used in determining individual grades for pins. It is an interesting read for those who may want to know how PPGS works.

Wow. That's a lot of money to get a pin graded. If I had a large pin valued at about $700, I would end up paying:
$55 for grading and encapsulation
$30 for return shipping
$5 processing fee
That's a total of $90 just to get a pin graded. Obviously the shipping cost would decrease (price per pin) if you had multiple pins, and you only have to pay the $5 invoice fee once for each group.

For a small pin valued at $100 it would still cost $60 to get it graded. I can understand this sort of service for coins, as some coins are worth thousands of dollars... but it seems like quite a bit when you're paying 15-60% of the pins value to get it graded due to the pins' relatively low value. This is a service I will never use, but maybe they've done their research and know there's a market for it.

Last edited:
Those cost are a bit crazy...it doesn't even cost that to get Mantles graded with PSA. I don't know, but it seems a little silly and extreme to get pins graded.

someone else is also selling graded (not by Pinpics) pins. I remember seeing a BIN for The Little Mermaid PODM (at 2K) which was completely not worth it

So, I went to look for graded pins on ebay and all the ones on there right now are NOT graded by pinpics

So, I went to look for graded pins on ebay and all the ones on there right now are NOT graded by pinpics

Read the descriptions. Their store has graded in the name, but they aren't doing the grading. If you read the descriptions, they mention Tomarts, Karla Maxwell and the Pinpics Grading service (with website link)

Also, if you look at the pictures and the numbers, those are the same pins that were sold in the first Hakes auction.

Read the descriptions. Their store has graded in the name, but they aren't doing the grading. If you read the descriptions, they mention Tomarts, Karla Maxwell and the Pinpics Grading service (with website link)

Also, if you look at the pictures and the numbers, those are the same pins that were sold in the first Hakes auction.

The descriptions are confusing. It makes it sound like someone else graded them.

Yeah...I guess if you were going to sell on Hakes for $1,000's more than the pin itself is worth (the pin itself being just the pin, no case, etc.) then this might be okay, but for just traders or anyone here, it's definitely not a system we'd use since it's too darn expensive. I'd rather by a grail then get 3 of my pins graded <_< Especially when the sad part is, I bet the best Rapunzel R/C and best of every pin out there is probably not even graded. Why pay $4,000 for a graded pin when I doubt it's even the best one @_@

Oh god, when did this start? That's always the downfall of any collectible hobby when someone starts thinking it's a good idea to seal them in plastic boxes with a number stuck on the side (because as soon as someone does this to their collectible, they instantly think it's with 4-5x more than what it's been selling for forever)... They actually do this with Atari 2600 and original Nintendo system games, and they are pretty much the laughing stock of the vintage gaming community. :) (I've seen vintage NES games listed in the high 5-digit price range just because they had it sealed in a plastic box...) I think vintage sports cards and comics are the only things that people really want sealed up like this.

But, right off, I notice some serious problems with this service. In order for it to really work in a collectible market, the item has to be preserved _EXACTLY_ as it was sold (unless it's declared a 'loose' pin (i.e., packaging not included) on the grading scale), but they don't seem to be allowing space for the backing card or the plastic bag that covers the pin when it was sold (for the ones that have them). And, where are the original pin backs? You can't just throw away the packaging and original parts of the pin and call yourself a collectibles grading service. It's okay to not want the cards/packaging attached to the pin, but it should still be graded as well as the pin and sealed with it (and when listed as 'with packaging', the condition of the packaging affects the overall grade). Trust me, as time goes on, pins with their original packaging will be worth a lot more than loose ones, it affects every collectibles market.

Sure, many people right now probably don't care about the cards/bags (and maybe even not the pin backs since they are easily replaced), but if there is anyone that actually wants their pins 'graded' and sealed in un-openable plastic boxes, _THOSE_ will be the kinds of people that will want every scrap of paper included with the pin when it was originally sold, and would even want to verify the Mickey pin-backs where the actual ones sold on the pin (which it probably impossible, but that's how 'encapsulated collectors' think :p). The fact that someone is selling a graded PODM right now with the card sitting separately outside the box tells me they are missing a serious point of mint-in-package collectibles (which, again, is what encapsulated caters too. If you don't care if you pin has the packaging, than you probably aren't going to want it sealed in a plastic box you have to destroy to open).

I also find it odd that the grading information on the plastic box doesn't mention the grading service at all (like PPGS), and doesn't appear to have any anti-counterfeiting measures applied (holograms, watermarking, etc). In a collectibles field that we know contains a lot of counterfeiting, they should make their grading service identifiers very hard to copy. As it is, if someone presents you with one of these pins, from what I can see you'd have no way of verifying them. Sure, there's a 'serial number', but if you don't know who the company is that graded it, how do you verify that? And even if you have heard of them, I don't see anyway to verify the serial number either. Doesn't really seem like this is ready to go live, unless I'm just missing things. Seems like it would be easy for me to seal any pin I wanted to in a plastic box, copy one of the stickers they put in the box, and sell it as a graded pin.

I see many flaws in this process.
For things like comic books, currency, and sports cards, you have a significant amount of items produced and a wide variety of conditions. With pins, you often have a finite amount. So for a pin that is an LE 50, for instance, there are only 50 items and you could theoretically rank them 1-50. Let's say you send this pin out to be graded. How can you determine that your pin is better/worse than the others without seeing any of the others? What if the graders have seen 20 of these 50 pins and yours is the best so it gets a high score? How can they guarantee one of the remaining pins are not of better quality?

What happens when there are quality issues on all pins produced? Let's say your pin gets a grade of 50/100 because there are defects, but compared to all the other pins produced, yours is the best. How are you able to get the word out that of pin XYZ, the best grade possible is 50? Other traders/buyers not familiar with that exact pin's history could view it as low score and therefore not desirable

What do you do with a pin that's an LE of 1, a PP, or an AP?

Last edited:
But, right off, I notice some serious problems with this service. In order for it to really work in a collectible market, the item has to be preserved _EXACTLY_ as it was sold (unless it's declared a 'loose' pin (i.e., packaging not included) on the grading scale), but they don't seem to be allowing space for the backing card or the plastic bag that covers the pin when it was sold (for the ones that have them). And, where are the original pin backs? You can't just throw away the packaging and original parts of the pin and call yourself a collectibles grading service. It's okay to not want the cards/packaging attached to the pin, but it should still be graded as well as the pin and sealed with it (and when listed as 'with packaging', the condition of the packaging affects the overall grade). Trust me, as time goes on, pins with their original packaging will be worth a lot more than loose ones, it affects every collectibles market.

Sure, many people right now probably don't care about the cards/bags (and maybe even not the pin backs since they are easily replaced), but if there is anyone that actually wants their pins 'graded' and sealed in un-openable plastic boxes, _THOSE_ will be the kinds of people that will want every scrap of paper included with the pin when it was originally sold, and would even want to verify the Mickey pin-backs where the actual ones sold on the pin (which it probably impossible, but that's how 'encapsulated collectors' think :p). The fact that someone is selling a graded PODM right now with the card sitting separately outside the box tells me they are missing a serious point of mint-in-package collectibles (which, again, is what encapsulated caters too. If you don't care if you pin has the packaging, than you probably aren't going to want it sealed in a plastic box you have to destroy to open).

i was wondering the same. It seems dumb that the cards and original contents wouldn't be encapsulated as well; especially with pins like PODMs where the cards are cut even to display cels. Overall, I don't see this working. However, I too have trust issues with PinPics grading my pins lol. This will be short lived.

The pins are not compared to each other they are compared to a standard, like the AKC does in dog shows, your pin may not be perfect, but its this close, hence your mark, if none of the pins are graded as higher yours is the best it can be, they are not compared to each other because, while a "mas production" like you mention there are always some imperfections in manufacturing,
Go to the site, check it out, I think they explain the process and the EXPERTS, who do the judging in a fairly straight forward manner.

and lets face it, yes this is not for your hidden mickey collections but for insurance and for appraisal value as a inheritance it is an invaluable service as the cost will only get smaller with time and increase in value,,,,,,,Think that Designer Princess set is costly now , wait 10 years...Think that Punzel PODM or LE 100 BATB is worth bucks now? Imagine what its worth than ?

I flat out refuse to believe that paying an "Expert" $60 per pin to manhandle my collection and seal it in an ugly box is going to up the value of my collection. My collection is insured as jewelry. I'm sorry, this is thinly veiled extortion from a community already fed up by shady behavior. I'm over it.

Id personally not to this as I never did it with comics. I dont see why as they would take up more space in little capsules and I collect pins cause I want to collect them, not to hand them down or sell for big bucks in the future which to me this grading stuff is only going to push prices higher than need be. I think if people could get said pin for a hell of a lot less than a graded pin theyll choose the non-graded pin as times have change who drop that sort of money unless your stupid rich..

From a business point of view if someone thinks that there is a MARKET for a product/service I feel that its up to them to go for it. If it works fine, if not its their lost.

PERSONALLY, this is just a hobby with pieces of metal being made in China for pennies, these are not diamonds or precious jewels!! Just MHO!

Mike S.
Figment919

I'll never use this 'service'. pinpics has been shady since the take over, and there is no way I would ever let them take my pin, rip it off it's original card, let their 'expert' 'grade' it and then lock it away.

And as for values of certain pins in 10 years..let me tell you about Wet Paint, Flubber, Inaugural, Stitch Mummy....lol The likelihood of the hot pins now being hot in a decade....beanie babies anyone?!!!

and lets face it, yes this is not for your hidden mickey collections but for insurance and for appraisal value as a inheritance it is an invaluable service as the cost will only get smaller with time and increase in value,,,,,,,Think that Designer Princess set is costly now , wait 10 years...Think that Punzel PODM or LE 100 BATB is worth bucks now? Imagine what its worth than ?

I will have to disagree with you on this. (Sorry) Just look at the high end pins now from several years back: WDW - Wet Paint - Mystery Pin / WDW - Mickey for President / WDW - Inauguration 2001 (Seal of the President) / WDW Mystery Pin #4 - Donald Duck / WDW - Mystery Pin #3 - Flubber, these pins 2 years ago were over $200 and now sale for under $100.
The WDAC 1999 - Haunted Mansion Dangle pin used to go for over $500 and now can be had for under $300. The Maleficent Boxed Diva Event Gift pin used to go for over $700 and I bought mine last year for $250 off a friend of mine.
Pin values will peak but then as new stuff comes out the prices will always come down as people lose interest in them as the new pins come out.

Just my opinion as this is what I have seen happen in the past.

I saw the Pinpics people at the last Dayton Disneyana event and they were trying to promote the new pin grading that they were coming out with. As I remember, they said they would send the pin to Tom (Tomarts) (He is a freind of mine, we both live in Dayton Ohio) and he would varify that it is a true Disney pin and not a fake. It would then be sent off to be graded. I also thought that it was really pricey to do this, even for a high end pin, and then if you have it incapsulated you have to find a good way to display it. (Takes up to much room if you ask me). I would never have this done to any of my pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back