• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Possible Pixar Mystery Scrapper ALERT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible Pixar Mystery Scrapper ALERT!

eyhahndisney

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Just noticed a picture of this pin. Noticed four suspicious things: 1) major dipping in a variety of the enamel on the pin, 2) what appears to be heavy scratch marks across entire pin & 3) very rough edging along the gold border & 4) Dory and Nemo having NO PUPILS (unlike the current sale thread of the chaser version of this pin that des have pupils)!! Does anyone have one that they can post so we can compare? What do you think?? (Same thing happened with several of the PT52s when they were released).

attachment.php

Oh no! These scrapper makers are ridiculous. :( What a shame. That does look like a scrapper. Dory and Marlin have no pupils!! They look so creepy

Looks like the color on the goggles is wrong too? The above link to the sale shows all gold goggles.

I looked it up on Ebay, and the seller's other auctions are the counterfeit DSF Jessica decades. There's a note on Pinpics that one person is selling those under multiple Ebay accounts. So it's definitely "buyer beware."

There also is a swirlyness to the water that seems to be missing from the bad pin too. At least, this fake is of such poor quality that it's easy to determine it's a bad pin.

Looks like the color on the goggles is wrong too? The above link to the sale shows all gold goggles.
The one in the link is the chaser in the series, but the regular pin does have colored in goggles. :)

This is such a shame... I really hope there are no brave scrappers. :/

The goggles are colored appropriately in the potential scrapper. The gold googles are for chasers only (that's where the color difference between regular and chaser comes in)

I think this is a scrapper because not only are there the flaws pointed out already, but you can also clearly see that the non-chaser version of the pin has a silver-tone base while the chaser has a gold-tone base; in addition to the chaser having gold-tone boarders, center pictures & being LE of 200. This version seems to have a gold-tone base and is suppose to be the non-chaser so that's definitely incorrect.

I looked it up on Ebay, and the seller's other auctions are the counterfeit DSF Jessica decades. There's a note on Pinpics that one person is selling those under multiple Ebay accounts. So it's definitely "buyer beware."

There also is a swirlyness to the water that seems to be missing from the bad pin too. At least, this fake is of such poor quality that it's easy to determine it's a bad pin.

How can you tell the Jessica's are fake? The look really good to me...that's crazy lol.

I noticed this on one of the standard "Brave" mystery pins that hit eBay. Granted the light was shining RIGHT on the pin but it looked off when compared to other pictures and the chaser pin of this series. The bears' eyes looked way off to me. Now that I see the flaws with this Nemo pin, I'm glad that I didn't bid on it, just to be safe.

By the way, here are the pictures for reference. The one in question was a fairly tiny picture so it's hard to say. Chances are probably pretty good it was just the way the light made it look but... it was questionable enough for me to steer clear of it. May be worth mentioning that the seller is selling quite a few pins that have been notorious for fakes (gears Jessica, gears Cheshire, DSF Jessica decade pins...) as well.

The one in question...(also the blue background seems to also lack the swirly, pearlescent quality and to me, the lines seemed rather flat where the other one, the lines were more pronounced...)

bmb1.jpg

Other standard "Brave" mystery pin...

bmb2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, the photo on top is a photo that was attached to an eBay auction that I bid on but lost. After it ended, I received a second chance offer. I was concerned about it so I asked the seller why I received the offer -- did the winner back out, or did he have a second pin -- but I received no reply. I checked his other items for sale and, like you mentioned, found he had other scrapper/fale alert pins, like the decades Jessicas. Between this and the no reply from him on why the second chance offer was given, I decided not to accept the offer. I just had a bad feeling about it. Then I saw these posts about issues with other pins in the set and finally this reference to the Brave pins. All considered, I'm really glad I passed. This whole thing just doesn't sit right. The only thing that's preventing me from being wholly convinced that these sets have been faked though is that usually if that's the case, we see a lot of them being offered for sale. Remember the shoes. As of right now, we haven't seen very many of these; including this Brave bear pin and the Bruce pin that started this discussion, that makes only 2 that have caught our eye. I'm thinking perhaps we should be keeping our eyes open for more coming soon and others from the rest of the set, too.

I noticed this on one of the standard "Brave" mystery pins that hit eBay. Granted the light was shining RIGHT on the pin but it looked off when compared to other pictures and the chaser pin of this series. The bears' eyes looked way off to me. Now that I see the flaws with this Nemo pin, I'm glad that I didn't bid on it, just to be safe.

By the way, here are the pictures for reference. The one in question was a fairly tiny picture so it's hard to say. Chances are probably pretty good it was just the way the light made it look but... it was questionable enough for me to steer clear of it. May be worth mentioning that the seller is selling quite a few pins that have been notorious for fakes (gears Jessica, gears Cheshire, DSF Jessica decade pins...) as well.

The one in question...(also the blue background seems to also lack the swirly, pearlescent quality and to me, the lines seemed rather flat where the other one, the lines were more pronounced...)

bmb1.jpg

Other standard "Brave" mystery pin...

bmb2.jpg

I too was bidding on some of these on eBay and I did accept the second chance offer. The pins just came in and they are definitely scrappers. The metal is totally wrong, the backstamp and edges are rough, and the pin is actually slightly (a couple of millimeters on each side) larger than the real ones. Plus, the finish and colors are off.

One on the left is the scrapper, the one on the right I know is real.
Notice the differences in the background color, also the colors are just slightly off, not to mention the vertical brush lines in the scrapper.

2013-02-19nemo-pin.jpg

Here are the scrappers that I've gotten, so watch out for these:

2013-02-19-17.02.52.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have pictures of most all the real ones. I looked at the clearly, and I mean clearly fake ones on eBay. These need to be reported to eBay ASAP. Clearly scrappers. I will have my daughter post the pics of the real ones. The most tell-tale sign is they should have the color swirling and the eyes on the toy story ones!

I have pictures of most all the real ones. I looked at the clearly, and I mean clearly fake ones on eBay. These need to be reported to eBay ASAP. Clearly scrappers. I will have my daughter post the pics of the real ones. The most tell-tale sign is they should have the color swirling and the eyes on the toy story ones!

Would you mind posting pictures up of all your real ones? Maybe send them to pinpics (info@pinpics.com) so that they can have pictures of the pins. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back