• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Shocked and Surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shocked and Surprised

swim2sea

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
:shock:Totally shocked at the greed that has taken over the pin collecting hobby. I would have never thought that people would spend the night in a line just to make money off someone else's misfortune. The DSF pins are selling for so much money that I am stunned.:shock:

:nono:I'm surprised that people are actually buying the pins for these exhorbitant prices. How can they justify it? I'm so disappointed that I did not get the pins and cannot afford to pay $300 for the four pins. Guess I'm going to think very seriously getting out of the pin trading and moving on to a hobby that has less greed and avrice.

:soapbox: OK, I'm off the soapbox now. Just needed to vent a little.

Yeah, it is no fun raising the prices so much - it will put people off collecting and hurt the industry. If everyone just sold at reasonable prices, more would buy: sellers would get more money and fans more pins :p :)!

I think a lot of it is people getting caught up in what OTHER people want. I am guilty of this. Do I want the new UP Beloved Tales? HECK YES! Why? uhhh..... i dunno? I don't collect UP, but everyone else is freaking out over it so I want it too! With that being said, I would NEVER pay $100 for a pin that just came out and will probably drop in price later this month... I think it is what I described above, and people that are not not he forums, and live really far away from any park or DSF.

This unfortunately happens in every collectible hobby. There isn't really much you can do about it. I mean, Rage!quitting can happen, but I think even with ridiculous prices, it kind of gives some collectors things to aspire for. I mean, how else would you get a grail pin, if they were easy to get?

I would not mind trading for those pins, but not an old LE100 for and new LE300. That's a false value on these new pins. I know I have an impossible to find wants list and it's basically been unchanged for years. But I don't give up. I've collected the Beloved Tales since the first ones came out and it's just disappointing that no one is willing to help a fellow pin trader acquire pins they can get. This is just MY opinion, but it's really having a negative effect on me. I'm completing up some nice 12 X 12 frames with pins from my collection and then everything else goes on the sale block. I'm giving up for now, but I'm sure I'll be back.

I would not mind trading for those pins, but not an old LE100 for and new LE300. That's a false value on these new pins. I know I have an impossible to find wants list and it's basically been unchanged for years. But I don't give up. I've collected the Beloved Tales since the first ones came out and it's just disappointing that no one is willing to help a fellow pin trader acquire pins they can get. This is just MY opinion, but it's really having a negative effect on me. I'm completing up some nice 12 X 12 frames with pins from my collection and then everything else goes on the sale block. I'm giving up for now, but I'm sure I'll be back.

Sorry to hear that. :(

Don't give up. Just let the hype die down. There was a lot of hype for the Tangled PODMs and look what happened (except for the hair scene). The scene where the Max & Flynn are looking at each other and Rapunzel & Pascal are in the middle only goes for $100 on ebay now (when it first came out, it went for $300+).

If it isn't selling then people will drop the price or hold on to it. But it is selling so obviously a fair market value has been established. The guy asking $300 for his will never get that unless he has it listed for 3 years. Seems the going rate is north of $125 and south of $175.

The Up Beloved Tales pin will be a holy grail for many. Just because it just came out doesn't mean those that got it should just offer it up for $20 to someone else. I want to keep the one I got and trade it for a marquee grail of mine. The problem are the veterans that want to over value their older pin because it is rare and old but want to devalue the newer pins that are instant grails. A LE300 limit 1 Up BT pin should be comparable to a Tangled Marquee. Both were LE300, both DSF, both cost around $13 originally. Tangled marquee has been out for about 2 years, Up BT about 2 days. But in my mind they should be in the same ball field. Tangled was $150-$165 just a few months ago, I know they've spiked higher recently, but should come back down. And they were Limit 2 per person and were on the racks longer so traders could acquire more. A limit 1 pin, with the popularity of an Up BT, should appreciate to the level of a Walle Marquee or a Tangled marquee.
I suppose those of us that got an Up BT should just put our Up BT's in a shoebox for a year then its ok if we ask $150 for it, because it's older? People who were not able to obtain are of course going to be upset the price is high. But to expect someone to offer up a pin they can potentially trade for a grail or sell and buy a grail for whatever you think is fair price doesn't add up for me. New traders that can't obtain older pins are just as frustrated with trying to get older pins from people.

From an economists stand point, I do understand the problem when people sell new pins, say a Brave marquee for $100 and a Brave Angus for say $55 that they just paid $25 for and then use that $155 to buy a brand new Up BT pin. If they use that $155 to buy an older pin with an established value of $150 then the historical methodology works. But when they pay $25 for Brave pins a month ago, sell them for $150, then buy an Up BT pin for $150 that came out this month, then they are drastically increasing the inflation rate of pin values and just feeding the bubble making machine. Until older pins are easier to acquire (baby boomer die off?) or new pins start to suck and resale values are terrible (unlikely) this current cycle of buy-sell high-buy higher will just keep going. I do think people however underestimate just how many people there are out there willing to pay those crazy amounts of money to acquire pins.

Like I said in the beginning of this post. If someone is buying it for that much, then it is worth that much. And I don't think there is as much shill bidding up going on with this Limit 1 pin because there really isn't much value to be had when each person can only obtain one. It does happen with pins like PODM when 1 person can easily obtain 6 or 8 pins, then selling 1 for $400 with your buddy bidding on it to establish a super high value right off the bat, then eat the $40 ebay fees on the first and list all 6 again for $350-$400, you easily recoup the costs of that first $40 investment (if you can call it that.) I don't do that, but I know of other people that do. I'm just an analyst of trends.

Sadly, the Up Beloved Tales might not drop as much as the others. It was limited to one per person and the other Beloved Tales were two per person. So there will be the Up completists and the Beloved Tales completists. There are many pins that would warrant a trade for an old Le100 pin. I would love to see someone trade DLRP Stitch Pin Trading Night 38168 LE 300 for an old LE DA100 14278 Mickey Mouse Movie Poster Pin. It's just not going to happen. There are many LE 100's that are worth nothing. Just beacuse the edition size is low on some they do not warrant a trade thats equal. It's all about supply and demand. I think many overvalue their LE100's and slam the others that have the newer pins that are worth more than alot of older pins. Take the UP marquee. It's newer and valued very high. The Tangled Marquee it's newer and valued very high. Don't get me wrong there are many older LE100's worth a ton but are you really going to trade them for a current LE 100 from Disneyshopping worth alot less, no. That means you have put a value on your pin.

Last edited:
As you can see Swim2Sea you value your one old LE100 different than the next person. You seem to value older LE pins more than the new ones. Thats fine but I don't think it's fair to judge people who are trading or even selling their pins for a high price. They value it differently than you. That is what happens in a collectable hobby. Maybe this is something that isn't for you? I have no idea. But I don't think your post was very fair to others.

If it isn't selling then people will drop the price or hold on to it. But it is selling so obviously a fair market value has been established. The guy asking $300 for his will never get that unless he has it listed for 3 years. Seems the going rate is north of $125 and south of $175.

The Up Beloved Tales pin will be a holy grail for many. Just because it just came out doesn't mean those that got it should just offer it up for $20 to someone else. I want to keep the one I got and trade it for a marquee grail of mine. The problem are the veterans that want to over value their older pin because it is rare and old but want to devalue the newer pins that are instant grails. A LE300 limit 1 Up BT pin should be comparable to a Tangled Marquee. Both were LE300, both DSF, both cost around $13 originally. Tangled marquee has been out for about 2 years, Up BT about 2 days. But in my mind they should be in the same ball field. Tangled was $150-$165 just a few months ago, I know they've spiked higher recently, but should come back down. And they were Limit 2 per person and were on the racks longer so traders could acquire more. A limit 1 pin, with the popularity of an Up BT, should appreciate to the level of a Walle Marquee or a Tangled marquee.

I have to disagree with you here. You're forgetting bout the Supply part of supply and demand. How many people are selling or trading their Tangled or Wall-E marquee pins vs how many are selling or trading the Up Beloved Tales? There currently is a large supply of Up pins (relatively) compared to the other two pins. Also, if you look at the completed auctions for the Up pins that actually sold, it's a very small handful. It's easy then to conclude that the Up pin is overpriced currently and fair market value will be established once the hype has worn down.

The LE size really means nothing though if the pin isn't popular enough. There are LE 1000-2000 pins that are more sought after than LE 100-250s just because everyone wants them.

It does suck though when the secondary market gets so heavily involved. Granted, it is bound to happen with any collectible that is popular enough. It's getting crazy with vinyls and it's getting worse with every release with pins.

I think the hype on the DSF pins is also the low edition size. The parks do not release anything that low and with Disneyshopping not doing any new low releases it is driving up the popularity of the DSF pins and adding to the hype.

Every time a new pin gets high pricing on ebay we see posts such as this. And we all say the same thing. Don't give up.

Comments such as:
  • These pins are not worth that.
  • sellers are jacking up prices.
  • I will quit because the pins I want just became un-attainable.

I am NOT defending resellers. I am not saying that it doesnt suck. But please never forget, the poeple buying those ebay pins at those prices are collectors too. Obviously there is a market for the resellers, at those higher prices. Right now.... In 6 months, the pixar release pins may be lower on the price margin. But the BT Up will likely retain value for some time to come. As a surprise release, that was purchase regulated, it will be worth more.

Even if a DPF member was one of those resellers or buyers, they won't ever admit it specifically because of posts such as this. Do I like that resellers are dragging 6 family member to camp out and buy 14 sets of pins to resell? heck no! Thats working the system and it sucks. But DSF cannot stop it, and collectors out there are buying the pins so the market is going to stand.

I also agree with a PP about devalueing new LE VS old LE. There are several old DA LE, DS LE, pins that are incredibly easy to trade for. There are also some that are almost impossible to get. Age does not matter much in this hobby. Character, attractiveness, and number of people wanting a pin are much bigger factors than a pins age, or what part of Disney released it.

Oh my, we keep reading about people being "shocked and Surprised" at people selling pins. Is it really that shocking??Have you seen Ebay? I remember when me and my GF first started collecting pins..we decided to collect marquee's and we had to buy a few...especially some of the harder to find ones..never did we complain about how high those prices were..if you want something bad enough..you will find a way to get it. We never complained that people sold them, because we understood that this is what is expected in a "collectible hobby".

If me and my GF were not available for this past DSF release and we could not find anyone to camp out for us..i would not blame anyone for selling them to me at a marked up price. This is how it works and its accepted among a vast majority of the pin traders.

We also agree with markheardjr about Ebay and the establishment of prices. If people are willing to pay these prices for the UP BT, who are we to judge that person who sold it? If you want to really be shocked and surprised at someone..why not blame those people who are buying the UP BT for $175-200? IF paying for pins is not something you are comfortable with..than maybe Pin Collecting isnt for you..

Trading and BUYING is a given in this hobby unfortunately.

All the best!
Bob & Cat

I have to agree wtih you there Margaret, no one is taking the wants vs trades into account when trying to trade for this pin and people are trading it for how much it is worth money wise. I know people can do what they want with the pin lol and I wish everyone who is after it (me included) luck getting it.

I contacted one ebay seller with a best offer of $120 which got declined and this ebay seller told me its $160 and thats the best they could do as they ONLY got 2 of the pin and yet I come to learn they may have gotten 3 where some people only got 1..

Just saying is all..Im hoping to get one eventually, I guess now Ive calmed down from the shock I will bide my time until I can get one for a reasonable price, also probs helps me since I have a wants list of 4. I know I over-reacted and thus calmed down now but still a bit miffed XD

Last edited:
If you look at the items on "that other site", out of 24 active listings, only 1 has a bid...I think the "quick buck" people are going to find out really fast that these $200+ prices for a brand new pin are way out of line and like Mark says, the prices will come down

Last edited:
The secondary market itself isn't exactly the root of all evil, either. It's the only way those of us who love the pins, but live several days' drive or an expensive plane ride away from any parks, have a hope of getting pins at all. I've seen a couple of comments blaming the high prices on those who don't live near parks. While I'd probably avoid paying prices THAT exorbitant, I still pay prices higher than the original price of the pin because, if I want to collect pins, I don't have a choice. If I want to trade pins, I have to have something to trade with. That means buying pins from the secondary market when I can. It's still cheaper than the plane ticket and hotel stay would cost to come to a release. :)

Now, I prefer the secondary market on DPF, of course! And I loathe scalpers, people who ONLY buy the pins to make a profit. But, well... I have paid very high prices to DPF members because I wanted the pin that badly and I love it that much.

I agree and disagree with all the posts here. I guess my problem lies with those who take 10 people to the line and buy the pins with the express intent of gouging as many people as possible with the re-sale. To me that is just - well - Unconscionable. I'm not sure how they sleep at night. I guess since that is NOT my nature I'm surprised and shocked when it turns out there are people like that out there. I guess in all my years of collecting I was lucky to not have to deal with them. I'm not rethinking my position, I still think it's wrong to do this, but to each his own. I sleep fine at night and never think I've taken advantage of anyone while trading, selling or buying a pin. I've even told people that their price is too low and offered a fair historical price. Guess I'll just join the waiting club and see what happens. And BTY, Disney Shopping has a very nice Cinderella set for sale. I think they are slowly getting back into the pin business and I for one an so glad. Maybe it will take some of the pressure off DSF pins.

There are a couple select small groups of people who do bring extras to the camp outs to obtain pins to sell immediately at DSF BUT its really not that many. Most people are local traders that go to the park all the time and who are on DPF. I think this happens way more with the POMH pins. I witnessed it myself on thursday with a family of 6 (who honestly did not look like pin traders AT ALL). Especially since they don't need a park pass to get them at downtown disney. I would like to see them release these INSIDE the park only to eliminate all the sceevy behavior.

Getting into this hobby recently I feel the same way about old pins as you feel about new pins. So everyone is in the same boat. There are plenty of old Disney auction pins I would give an organ for but people who bought them for $19.95 are selling them for $250-$350. One of my signature grails was just listed on ebay for $450. Ouch....Its just something that goes along with collecting anything...dolls, figurines, comic books, coins. The hunt IS part of the fun remember :) No giving up...just get creative :)

Amy, I have a few pins off your wants list if you want to take a look. I'm pretty easy to trade with most days. If you want, we can wait until we see each other in September. Hopefully there will be some CA people there who will trade me those Beloved Tale pins so I can keep going with the collection.

I keep trying to remind people that THIS IS NOTHING NEW. Really, it's not. The last few years have been more of an aberration in terms of people scalping and hording or not. I posted my story about getting the 2nd batch of Artist Choice pins after the Lion King PODM as a reminder to be patient. But the stories from the past are long and numerous about scalping pins. Mickey for President, Wet Paint, DL COM pins, when DA first came out, when DS.com first came out.

There are a bunch of "new" people jumping in the Pin Trading pool, and all of them are going after the same stuff: Up, Tangled, PODM, BT. But I don't for one second believe they have the stamina or the funds to keep this up long term. This is a phase. Just keep an eye out for the "My Grail is on Ebay FIRESALE" and the "I can't pay my CC bill" posts and we will all get our pins. Someday.

All I know is I am not ready to part with an Up BT on the cheap when I know I should be able to trade it for a great pin or two in the future. I'd sell it for $160, sure, get some money for 2 or 3 of the medium grail type Marquees. (Pinocchio, Dumbo, Mary Poppins, Sleeping Beauty, etc...) I would be happy with 2 or 3 of those. I see the Up BT maybe going as low as $100 in a few months, but then it will just climb and climb and climb after that as months and years go by. People will continue to buy DSF pins to sell for profit to buy their grails, it seems that is just how it works for new traders. Pure greed by profiteers and stubborn vet's are the reason for most of it.

This unfortunately happens in every collectible hobby. There isn't really much you can do about it.
As Hopemax says, this is nothing new. And people try to sell pins (or any other collectible) for $$$$$$$$$$ all the time, always have. Nature of the beast...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back