• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Shocked and Surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shocked and Surprised
There were sooo may people at this release that I have never seen before . . . . I am sure many of them were/are resellers.

But I for one do TONS of favors for people on this board and am quite tired of always reading about how supposedly no one here is willing to help any time a really good pin gets released. It is not our fault we live here and that we have options of places to buy pins.

I have been overly stressed about trying to help people with the POMH's and with how crazy they have gotten here - I have not been very successful in getting them for everyone and I have asked people here on these boards for help since the release in florida is easier to get them andI have ben turned down because "I need to use them as traders to get my grails" and then 2 weeks later I see them selling them here for a nice proft. So its not only the Ca traders who "don't want to help" I fact the only help I did get was from a CA member and another member here who were in florida on vacation.

I had a friend here at home that came out to Cali and she said, never again, just a different class of people . I think I'm getting her drift .
That was actually really kind of nasty. You say you are not attacking anyone, but yes you are, no matter how passive aggressive the comment may be. I don't have a horse in this race, but c'mon now.

I am less than an hour from DSF and I did not get the pins. It has nothing to do with the type of people. It has to do with how far people will go to obtain the pins. I am sure if there was a DSF in Florida the same thing would be happening there.

Amen Princess Becky . I'm just lucky enough to have a friend near DSF . Unfortunately for me she was on a well deserved vacation . And I hope she had fun and had a nice rest from reality . I will be going to Cali next August for the D23 event and I already asked her & her fiance' to have dinner with us, our treat for all she does . I really could care less that I got these pins . I only wanted two Carl in chair and Remy in chair . I was going to add them to my traders anyway . Actually I don't think these sets were all that . The only nice one was the surprise UP . So I didn't get it, worse things happen . yes ???

I think people need to calm down a little as he said she said isnt really fair. Yes you have the members here who queue up for DSF pins and keep them to trade/sell and they can feel the pain as much as we do when for example DLRP release a pin they need so badly they have to cave as well so it balances out. the only ones that are a pain in the butt are the re-sellers. If the mark up wasnt so high I would have caved and got one already but its just a little out my range and for me to get one will be saving up and by then I may get lucky or may not but I decided Im in no rush for it as I dont want it to be a chore to get pins.

Tinker, Id say calm down and relax, if someone would have helped you they would have, yes some people got more than 1 and yes some only got 1 for themselves even if those people were there to help out someone else with the pin so everyone is in the same boat as you who didnt get them.

All I will say is this - DLRP released a CM Phantom Manor pin to cast members only cost of 5 euro...ebay 50euro or more... and thats an LE size of 2012 so comes full circle for everyone. We in the UK will just have to wait our turn for another great pin haha

No Shannon, I didn't mean it that way . Here in NJ, PA. NY we are always rushing . Moving faster than the hours that go by . In the south, people are more polite, really laid back . My BFF's daughter is in San Diego . Her hubby just went to Afghanistan for 7 months . She is coming home as she doesnt like it in Cali, I'll ask her what she meant, but she said, its a whole different class compared to us in NJ . She said, most that she has met are rude and not very friendly . Don't shoot me for repeating .

I am sure if there was a DSF in Florida the same thing would be happening there.

Very very good point. When the designer dolls were released they were released in every state (or almost) that had a Disney Store and the end result was no different.

Tinker, Id say calm down and relax, if someone would have helped you they would have, yes some people got more than 1 and yes some only got 1 for themselves even if those people were there to help out someone else with the pin so everyone is in the same boat as you who didnt get them.
Yes, Stitch, Thank You ! I was sticking up for margaret . I really do need to lay down and stay out of this drama . Because everyone is different in their own right . And what's funny, is I didn't like this set of pins so could care less . :lol: The only one that was nice is the UP surprise .
I want the next set Cinderella which I know I will get, so I don't know why I'm even bickering .
I guess I feel bad for swim2sea, she does a lot for everyone .

But I for one do TONS of favors for people on this board and am quite tired of always reading about how supposedly no one here is willing to help any time a really good pin gets released. It is not our fault we live here and that we have options of places to buy pins.

Yes, you do, and have for me, and I hope to repay the favors (with Duffys, or whatever I can). :)

I wasn't trying to turn this into a "California folks are being mean" thing, or an "us vs. them" thing. I was just pointing out that Disney has put us into a difficult position, as a community. Trading is a two-way street, and lately, it's been operating one-way. DS.com has been a huge lose, especially for people no where near a park.

And while you and a few others are super great traders, you also have to see the truth of the situation- that it's getting very, very hard to get new releases out of Cali without having very deep wallets.

I am extremely grateful for what I *do* have, and in no way do I feel *entitled* to these pins. But surely the Cali people can *sympathize* with what's been going on in the last year. Just think on what it would feel like if this was happening in reverse...

I'm lucky that I have some good, older traders, and that I also have the patience to wait out some of these price hikes. But I can notice the problem for what it is...

There were sooo may people at this release that I have never seen before . . . . I am sure many of them were/are resellers.

I have been overly stressed about trying to help people with the POMH's and with how crazy they have gotten here - I have not been very successful in getting them for everyone and I have asked people here on these boards for help since the release in florida is easier to get them andI have ben turned down because "I need to use them as traders to get my grails" and then 2 weeks later I see them selling them here for a nice proft. So its not only the Ca traders who "don't want to help" I fact the only help I did get was from a CA member and another member here who were in florida on vacation.
I will be there September 5th to the 12th . I'm going to the first Halloween party . If there is anything you want that is being released . Please let me know and I'll be sure to pick it up for you .

If I may...?
I think a lot of the *current* frustration is the monopoly-like situation Disney has put us in. With Southern California having pretty much all the desirable releases coming up on over a year now (I'd start it at around the D23 Designer Princess pins and Reveal/Conceal Girls release), it's been particularly hard to trade or to counter with anything.

I missed out on those darn reveal/conceal girls (who knew they would be so limited?) - by the time I got to the park, all that was left was 3 measly boxes of Miss Piggy revealed (and an unknown concealed). Had I known there was a Rapunzel chaser, I probably would have broken down and bought all 3 boxes...and with my luck, would have gotten Jessie concealed in all of them. But then, at least, I would have had an extra or two to trade for Minnie and some other pins. :)

Missed out on the Designer princesses too. Was on vacation in Scandinavia at the time. Again, thought, maybe, just maybe, they'd come out on DS.com and I'd have my first midnight release (never knew about those before). Of course, they came out during D23. Oh well. Eventually they will be mine....maybe after I win the PCH's $5000/week for life at the end of next month :) We can't have everything immediately. Sometimes, it just takes time. Worth/value is in the eye of the beholder.

A missed opportunity one day may lead to a fantastic price another.

Last edited:
Maybe the answer for those who have no access to these pins is to just fight fire with fire. Got through your collection/traders, figure out what a fair price would be, and then double it and list it on ebay. Some people seem to be getting away with it....why not everyone else? I really kind of want to go list my Up adventure book for $500 just for fun....heck, why not $1000. If the Up Marquee can bring $500 at an LE of 300 then the Up Adventure Book should bring almost twice that since it is an LE of 125, right? And there isn't a single one of those listed on ebay right now.

Hopefully you all got the hint of sarcasm there. On the other hand....I'm now seriously contemplating it....just for fun of course. :) But, I guess if it sells....that's the new market price!

Yes, you do, and have for me, and I hope to repay the favors (with Duffys, or whatever I can). :)

I wasn't trying to turn this into a "California folks are being mean" thing, or an "us vs. them" thing. I was just pointing out that Disney has put us into a difficult position, as a community. Trading is a two-way street, and lately, it's been operating one-way. DS.com has been a huge lose, especially for people no where near a park.

And while you and a few others are super great traders, you also have to see the truth of the situation- that it's getting very, very hard to get new releases out of Cali without having very deep wallets.

I am extremely grateful for what I *do* have, and in no way do I feel *entitled* to these pins. But surely the Cali people can *sympathize* with what's been going on in the last year. Just think on what it would feel like if this was happening in reverse...

I'm lucky that I have some good, older traders, and that I also have the patience to wait out some of these price hikes. But I can notice the problem for what it is...

I do symapthize and felt very lucky to be there when the up bt was released. I just feel like it always ends up feeling like an us vs them situation and hat is not what i want it to be at all . . .. and I dn't blame u or anyone else - u guys are entitled to your opinions but just as a California trader it seems like everytime a pin is released its "Ca traders dont want to help us" "They dont want to sell us their pins that they waited 20 hrs for at cost to help us out" "Ca are greedy"

Just living here doesn't mean you always get the pins either - I didnt get the jessicas or the balloon castles at NFFC. I wasn't able to go to the avengers or hinged books release. And unfortunately it seems like the mark up on these pins does have a lot to do with DS.com not carying pins anymore. Because resellers - were happy to buy from there and sell on ebay and not camp out for things but now they want to still make their money and are now taking up more available wristbands than they used to.

Hopefully you all got the hint of sarcasm there. On the other hand....I'm now seriously contemplating it....just for fun of course. :) But, I guess if it sells....that's the new market price!

Love this !!! I would totally buy it and re-list it at $2000 :rofl:

I do symapthize and felt very lucky to be there when the up bt was released. I just feel like it always ends up feeling like an us vs them situation and hat is not what i want it to be at all . . .. and I dn't blame u or anyone else - u guys are entitled to your opinions but just as a California trader it seems like everytime a pin is released its "Ca traders dont want to help us" "They dont want to sell us their pins that they waited 20 hrs for at cost to help us out" "Ca are greedy"

Just living here doesn't mean you always get the pins either - I didnt get the jessicas or the balloon castles at NFFC. I wasn't able to go to the avengers or hinged books release. And unfortunately it seems like the mark up on these pins does have a lot to do with DS.com not carying pins anymore. Because resellers - were happy to buy from there and sell on ebay and not camp out for things but now they want to still make their money and are now taking up more available wristbands than they used to.

Yeah, it's a crappy situation all the way around. And no one should be generalizing all Cali traders like that. I think that's basically because it's a pain in the *** to say "some" every time...I think we all assume that you guys know that WE know that that are exceptions on both ends of the spectrum. But we're all lazy when typing stuff out. :)

But seriously, we should try and avoid vast, sweeping statements like that- especially since you're right- it's hard for even Cali people to get these pins.

No Shannon, I didn't mean it that way . Here in NJ, PA. NY we are always rushing . Moving faster than the hours that go by . In the south, people are more polite, really laid back . My BFF's daughter is in San Diego . Her hubby just went to Afghanistan for 7 months . She is coming home as she doesnt like it in Cali, I'll ask her what she meant, but she said, its a whole different class compared to us in NJ . She said, most that she has met are rude and not very friendly . Don't shoot me for repeating .

I grew up in Ohio and then moved to Cali. I also have some family in NY and Boston. I can tell you that neither are nicer than mid-west people. I think there is a difference in communication and social styles. Cali people won't commit to anything, they always want to see if something better pops up to do. And with how much there is to do here, something better always pops up. It gets clicky really quick here too. NY & NJ people kind of bully their way through conversations. They're VERY opininated and family mind-think fosters very strong points of view. I don't really think it's "Cali people" or their attitudes that are causing this issue though.

The problem, as stated above, is that Cali has great releases. Because we have so many places for pins, we also have more pins collectors and new pin enthusiasts. I'd love for Disney to open a special shop for you Florida people. I agree that Cali, DLRP, and DS.com UK people have a bit of an advantage over you, Cali a big advantage over all, DLRP a good size advantage. Not many Japan or Hong Kong people but I think they have good pins.
WDW does have 4 parks though, and pin releases haven't been insane like DLR/DSF releases. We have to claw our way through the crazy masses, we deserve double what we paid for some of these stupid releases. When is the last time a Florida person waited overnight in a street for pins? Just sayin'...

Also, some people just love beating the system and finding any way to make money that doesn't involve income tax reporting and the IRS. Also, many people across the country are in hard times and any way to make money is an option. I understand finding good work is hard these days and I honestly think some of the resellers are doing it as a supplemental income. Use the profit for their own collecting or just to have some money in their pocket. Maybe they sell pins to pay off their AP passes? I know many of the resellers are just younger traders that don't have a financial base big enough to buy pins every week, so they are supplementing their pin budget by reselling. I do that often too. I often buy 2 or 3 of a pin and sell 2 of them to pay for my one keeper. There's no way I'd have half the pins I have unless I sold a few along the way.

So far I have only found 1 person willing to buy pins for me at cost at WDW. We usually end up trading which is nice, but I can pay cash also. She is the only person I am currently willing to buy for in return because I know I can ask in return. And she isn't overly demanding with the really hard to get stuff which is appreciated. The WDW stuff I ask for usually isn't terribly hard for her to acquire either, and if it is I try my best to return the favor. I got a Star Wars Weekend Piece of Death Star pin from her that I know I would have had to pay north of $30 for if she hadn't helped out. I felt bad once when she actually bought a pin from me on eBay that I would have just sent her for cost, but she insisted the price was fine. I wish there were more people like that and I wish for all you Florida people there were more great pins I wanted. Write Disney, ask for your own version of a DSF.

Oh, and while I'm posting super long messages, hehe, I'll add that WDW people are lucky in one aspect I've touched one, how easy the releases often are there, because you guys get like 2/3rd's the pins! LE2000 PODM pins you guys get like 1200 and we get 800, maybe. I've heard it's even more lopsided some times. It should be an even split, 1000 & 1000.

That is my point exactly - living here does not guarantee anyone the pins - that is why we go and wait and camp out. Because if we didn't we wouldn't get them either and buying them or trading for them is hard. Its also a lot of work to go to the releases - packing up the car, the drive, the parking, the waiting, the lack of sleep, driving back, unpacking the car. Lol after this last release i planned on taking a nap at 2:30pm and figured i would sleep for an hr or two but then woke up at 10:30pm - so it takes quite a bit out of you.

It's frustrating all around, I think. It's frustrating to live nowhere near a release, and hear people saying they "ONLY" got 4... 8... 12 pins. I imagine it's also frustrating to go to the immense trouble and exhaustion of being there and especially being genuinely trying to help friends out by getting pins for them, and then not to be able to because of all the scalpers in line ahead of you and the rude people who shove everyone else out of the way. Sometimes I lament not being able to be there... and then other times I hear the horror stories.

My best friend had similar stories of SDCC this year, early-entry scalpers cleaning out the limited edition dolls and toys before the floor even *opened* to the general public. It was like that when I was there last year, too; people literally shoving children out of the way to get in line for the toy they could scalp; scalpers selling at triple the price right there on the exhibition floor.

I don't think it's the new collectors, or the young collectors, or the far or near collectors. I think it's the NON-collectors that are the problem.

This thread is crazy :( .... but on a side note I Help as much as possible at cost and recieve some great pin karma in return for the most Part <3

I always like to try to follow the Ideals that I believed in when I first Started having fun in this hobby <3 <3 <3 I appreciate Each and Every Person here on DPF <3 I do hope these prices come down so everyone can complete their collections <3 <3 <3

Just Wanted to throw some Love in Here <3 Love You All!
<3 Laz

rainbowbright.gif

OMG i love Rainbow Bright!! :0)

I really wish she was Disney! Lol . . . oh and Tinker I must have missed it and I apologize - thank you for the offer. If something comes up that I need I will let u know! :0)

I got through about 20 posts so this may have been said...but we love pins and pin trading and in its pure form and idea it is what Walt (disney) wanted. To make an affordable hobby that makes folks meet eachother and interact. With that being said, now Disney has cut back or eliminated pin sales in disney stores, where folks all over the country could get them AND no LE releases in the online store anymore??? This forces practically EVERYONE who collects and is not in driving distance to parks at the mercy of sellers. Do i think its NICE that these folks have made a business out of ripping folks off for pins ?? NOPE but they know they have us by the ----- well you know.

Maybe the answer for those who have no access to these pins is to just fight fire with fire. Got through your collection/traders, figure out what a fair price would be, and then double it and list it on ebay. Some people seem to be getting away with it....why not everyone else? I really kind of want to go list my Up adventure book for $500 just for fun....heck, why not $1000. If the Up Marquee can bring $500 at an LE of 300 then the Up Adventure Book should bring almost twice that since it is an LE of 125, right? And there isn't a single one of those listed on ebay right now.

I just accept I will probably never have an Up Marquee for my marquee collection unless I'm willing to pay $400 to $500 for it. I'm not flaming whoever is offering it for that price. That's how much it is. Like I've said in other posts, its the wacko's paying $150+ for a Tron Marquee that boggles my mind. It was just a $45 pin 6 months ago, so a price was established, now that price is doubling. Imagine if the Up BT starting selling for $300 next April, just because there are new BT collectors. I think this wave of BT pins will send shockwaves through the BT market and raise prices slightly for older BT's and older HTF BT's will go up, possibly double, what they were before. People that want to collect BT pins will all of a sudden start paying exhorbatent amounts for the ones they don't have. Heaven forbid a Tangled BT, oh geez.

I've seen similar things with Pin Trader Delights recently. Pooh listed for $175? Grumpy sold twice for over $50. The new traders that go to DSF and collector marquee's are also starting in on PTD's and they are going up in price too. I've heard rumors of some Tangled and Brave character PTD's coming, just wait for those, then PTD's will have a little spike, especially older ones with popular characters.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the new collectors, or the young collectors, or the far or near collectors. I think it's the NON-collectors that are the problem.

Yes, the lurkers that come here to gather information and take our pins and other collectibles from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back