• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Urgent help needed to authenticate a Dalmatian pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Urgent help needed to authenticate a Dalmatian pin.

bwschultz

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I have the possibility of obtaining one of my grails.

pin48499
Pin 48499: Disney Auctions - Stitch Invasion Set (101 Dalmatians)

The front of the pin looks good:

Dalmatian pin front.jpg

I do not know if the back looks right. It has an oval area on the back where a disney auctions hologram usually goes.

Dalmatian pin back.jpg

Am I to assume that this pin is not authentic if the hologram is missing or do some disney auction pins come with this oval area completely bare?

Does anyone have this pin to compare?

Last edited:
Hey Bruce,

I have 2 DA pins (Many actually) but these 2 I know for fact were purchased when the site was up and running, original everything including the invoice and they have the same issue. I have also seen this on a few other (non DA) pins that were purchased directly from Disney.
I personally do not think it is a huge red flag but the best way to be sure is to find 3 or 4 people who also have the pin and see what theirs looks like.

Again, I am pretty confident it is real but if it were a pin I was trading for, I would ask around.
What I do is look on pinpics and see who has them in their collections, contact them and ask them a favor if they will check it and let me know.
When you are just asking a question like that, most people are more than happy to help out.

Good Luck,

TBGITB

Is there a way to search pinpics on who has the pin listed in their collection? I looked on who has it for trade but only one of 4 listed their email so I off an email to that trader asking for help.

This pin should have the hologram. I have the gold AP version in my collection and I used to have a set I purchased directly from Disney Auctions and all of them had the hologram. This is the second high end DA Stitch pin I have seen on ebay this week with this issue and it is a little concerning...:anxious:

I don't have this pin in my collection but I started collecting when disney auctions were still up and running, and to be honest I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see pins with the hologram missing by now after all as I recall the holograms are only stickers. I might be wrong I havent looked at the back of my older DA pins for a while but I'm pretty sure that the holograms where just stuck on.

I only have one DA pin (48744) that had an oval for the hologram and the hologram is present on my pin. Sorry, wish I could be more help than that. :hs:

Hi, I have all 6 pins from that set (as well as a few for trades) and all of them have the hologram on them.

I am wondering if it originally came with the Hologram, if it could come off. I wonder what the likelyhood would be.

You really need a number of people who actually purchased THAT pin and see if any of those are missing the hologram.

I hope you find out because that pin is highly cute!!!!!

Thanks everyone. I think I will hold off and get one with the hologram on it. I will just have to be patient.

Wow, that kinda hurt saying I have to be patient.

I hate to jump on the paranoia wagon, but this seller IS from China. That, coupled with the missing hologram, would make me very leary of puchasing this pin...

I hate to jump on the paranoia wagon, but this seller IS from China. That, coupled with the missing hologram, would make me very leary of puchasing this pin...

My thoughts exactly. Plus the seller lists that he/she has more available and lists his/her email.

I wanted this pin to be authentic sooo bad that I had to take the steps to prove to myself it was real. That is why I started this thread.

I did not contact the seller to find out where it was obtained because if they were willing to list a scrapper and not disclose that it is not authentic they are just as willing to lie about where it was obtained. I will be emailing the seller as to the concerns of the authenticity of the pin as I feel it is my duty to do so as the seller may not know it is not authentic.

Needless to say, I will not be bidding on it. Thanks for your help everyone.

Last edited:
I have emailed the seller and I have posted the contents of this email (of course keeping the sellers name off as per DPF regulations):

"I have concerns about the authenticity of this pin. On the back there is supposed to be a DisneyAuctions Hologram where the oval space is. I have contacted several pin collectors about this pin and one member has the entire pin set and all the pins have a hologram.

It may be a scrapper pin or the hologram may have just fallen off.

I will not be bidding on this pin. I thought you should know why

Bruce"

If I get a reply I will post it.

I also noticed that even before these sales have ended, the seller has ANOTHER of the Dalmatian and the Pinocchio pins for sale. So, at least 2 of each coupled with a lack of hologram definitely makes me think there are counterfeits afoot!!

Bummer!

Maybe someone else should email a question on the other listed pin and see what turns up. Maybe we can at least stop him/her. Does anyone have any suggestions?

How do we report this suspicious activity before unsuspecting people are ripped off?

OK, so I have reported my suspicions to ebay. Even if it is a scrapper or a "copy" it should be listed as such. I do not know the intentions of this seller as he/she has not responded to my email. But I felt it was my duty to report it.

If you think you have uncovered a fradulent listing on ebay then you can report it as well. Hopefully, if enough of us report our concerns ebay will look into these listings and pull the fradulent listings and/or seller(s).

To report an item on ebay you go to the listing and in the area to the right, under the sellers info area where it says Print |Report item
You enter the report item and just follow the instructions.

Here is how I reported it:
Once I entered the Report item, I then selected Reason for Report: counterfit and copyright violations.
Then under Detailed Reasons I selected potential trademark infringement.
Then under Additional Information I selected other replica or counterfit items.
Then hit Continue then you get to type in a brief description. You get 100 character to do so. (not enough in my opinion)

PM me if you want further details

Last edited:
If you look at the seller's feedback, everything is listed as private. so you can't even see how many of these "rare" pins have been sold. and this pin only sold for $57? The fact that it's a Stitch, invasion, DA, LE100 pin, that's pretty low to me. Maybe some people are catching on, or has seen this pin sold previous times before we noticed it.
This makes me really sad, as this pin is one of my holy grails as well. I was going to bid on it until I noticed the pictures matched on this thread and on the listing. I feel like its the Disneyshopping Stitch Dalmatian starting all over again...

I asked the seller where these came from and this is the response I got:

pins with missing holograms are from the factory who supplies the pins to Disney.

I couldn't believe it. Not only are they crooks but they aren't even hiding it.

Erica, I got the same response because I wanted to see if the Cinderella pin was missing the hologram too. They said, "All pin have hologram missing. Marked LE 100 on back." and then what they told you. It is really sad...

EDIT: Should we label the pins that they have in their auctions on PinPics as having counterfeits from factories in China? Something like, "Counterfeits with missing holograms are being sold on the secondary market."

Last edited:
Ok, not to say what that guy is doing is ok cause it's not but I think those holograms can fall off. I took a different pin that has one and just for kicks and giggles I tried to pick at it and I got my fingernail part way underneath it. So, overtime I can totally see them falling off.

Ok, not to say what that guy is doing is ok cause it's not but I think those holograms can fall off. I took a different pin that has one and just for kicks and giggles I tried to pick at it and I got my fingernail part way underneath it. So, overtime I can totally see them falling off.

If that is what this is, I would agree with you. He is saying that there were never holograms on them and that they came from the factory that supplies Disney. He never stated that they were official Disney pins, and he never says that in the auction either. He says to see the picture for the description, which to me means, "Think what you want, but I'm not saying what it really is by saying it this way." He never states that they are authentic, he just labels what they say on them.

Also, if they were there to begin with, the surface wouldn't be clean, it would have some kind of residue from there the hologram was once there. He flat out said to me that none of his pins have the holograms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back