• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Why do you think outside the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you think outside the box?

TinkerTigg

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question that's been rolling around in the back of my mind that I'm finally going to ask.

Why do you unbox or keep boxed your dolls?
There's no right or wrong answer. I'm just curious.

For me, they will remain in their boxes. Yes, they do take up a lot of space and whatnot...but I'm single and my future partner will just accept it. ;) I have no intention of selling my 17" le dolls (however, my designer princesses are probably going to be sold soon. I'm not so spellbound by them anymore), so technically they could be deboxed, but it doesn't feel right. I feel like it makes them less authentic or something. Plus, it then welcomes the doll to dust and potential wear and tear that the box would at least buffer some of.

So, obviously I'm pro-boxed. But, I'm interested in hearing the thought processes behind your choices.

Last edited:
I don't collect dolls but I do have a Brass Key Ariel Doll my mother got me for Christmas years ago. I love her she is so detailed. I wasn't pro-box, THEN. I took her out and displayed her and kept the box in my closet with my thousands of Breyer model horse boxes. I regret it enormously. Her hair got dusty and frizzy from the temp changes (AZ is no place for collectibles) not to mention the plastic band that kept her secure to her base and standing up straight wore out and stretched and now she leans forward so much I can't even display her, she falls over. I should have kept her in the box, but I hate buying something and then putting it away. This is the same reason I wear my Designer princess pins on my lanyard which I am sure gave some traders at DLR a heart attack. Oh well! :)

I have a question that's been rolling around in the back of my mind that I'm finally going to ask.

Why do you unbox or keep boxed your dolls?
There's no right or wrong answer. I'm just curious.

For me, they will remain in their boxes. Yes, they do take up a lot of space and whatnot...but I'm single and my future husband will just accept it. ;) I have no intention of selling my 17" le dolls (however, my designer princesses are probably going to be sold soon. I'm not so spellbound by them anymore), so technically they could be deboxed, but it doesn't feel right. I feel like it makes them less authentic or something. Plus, it then welcomes the doll to dust and potential wear and tear that the box would at least buffer some of.

So, obviously I'm pro-boxed. But, I'm interested in hearing the thought processes behind your choices.

I've done both, with a tendency to keep my dolls in the box. I keep most of my dolls in the box, because the packaging usually highlights them quite well as they are (but not always) and it does keep the actual doll free from dust (I only have two display cases that can display up to 12" dolls only). Most doll boxes also stack rather nicely for storage.

That said, I have deboxed some dolls too (most recently some of the Designer Villains), which are usually "extra" dolls that I bought for the purpose of deboxing. It is really a lot of fun to rearrange clothing and accessories and repose the dolls, or even dress them up in other clothing. The big issues with deboxed dolls are: dust and the potential to mess up the clothing or hair.

If you are going to keep it there is no reason why you can't debox if you want to. Opening a doll makes it feel like its yours. You can always pop it back in for storage (what I do). My few boxed dolls are only that way at the moment until I have a display case, I have a large collection so I rotate them round.

I have seen others who've kept them MIB only to find they are in worse shape than one out on display (I know how to look after my dolls comes with years of practice!).

With the LE DS dolls some get them because they believe they will be worth more in future... that's not how I choose them. I certainly don't buy extras of them as I have space also to consider. No one knows how the DS LE dolls will hold up in future years with all that plastic.

I only have two dolls and both have been kept in there boxes, they look much better to me and also keeps the collectors value :)

I keep all my dolls in their boxes, and when I purchase dolls from the secondary market I only want them if they are new-in-box. I just like the way they are displayed in their boxes, and like others mentioned it keeps dust off of them and lowers the risk of anything happening to their hair, clothes, etc. Not to mention I have two cats and I can only imagine what they might do to them if they were open. :)

And just because I am not planning to sell my dolls currently...you never know what the future holds, and if I do need the funds one day and need to sell them they are obviously more appealing to a potential buyer if they are kept in new condition.

I only take out the ones that are easy to remove, you know the boxes with the lids that can be replaced, and the doll is not on lock down with zip ties or any ties and if they do come out, Like my Tonner doll, it stays in a cabnet for me to enjoy and keep dust free, but other than that im like you they stay in their boxes.

I want to give my 17" dolls to my future daughter, right now I'm 23 and don't have kids, but this is something I see I can pass down generations, so for me , they must be kept in their box, I also believe the boxes are just as beautiful as the dolls and they all have their own unique pose, and god forbid something happens financially and I NEED to sell them, keeping them in the box will help me get more for them, of course, that's only in a desperate situation, otherwise, I plan on keeping these dolls till the day I die.

I collect both dolls and figures, and as collector of lots of series, anime, videogames, and Disney figures I always Debox my items. In my own personal opinion, I feel like these things were meant to be to be opened and free, that way you can see the true potential of the doll, the display of her dress, hair, and pose her as you wish.

Example of dolls were their potential is limited to those keeping them in their boxes: Designer Mulan, Gothel, Ariel and Pocahontas dolls. Designer Mulan and Gothel have the prettiest dresses in both Princess and Villains collection, but if you leave them without opening them you can never really appreciate these dolls exquisite trails, where the back of the dress is the main thing about it. Then what annoys me the most about Desginer Pocahontas and Ariel are the pose which they come when new. Pocahontas has her head all the way up, and Ariel's pose isn't the best one, also noted Ariel's full dress is kept underneath so another downfall on not opening her :S .

I respect the choice of those who kept them in their boxes, but I'm super happy with my open and free displayed dolls. Currently I own 6 Designer Princess, 3 Designer Villains and 3 Limited 17" dolls.

All dolls stay in their boxes at our house. My reasoning is: if we move, they'll pack easier/less likely to get damaged. The dolls won't take the wear and tear of sitting on a shelf, the box will AND if they weren't in a box they would be covered in rabbit hair in no time, as our bunnies shed like sheep....

I leave dolls in their boxes, especially LE ones such as the 17" dolls and designers. Personally, they are just more aesthetically appealing! I love how crisp and finished the boxes make everything look! They also look just marvelous when they are all lined up next to one another! :) They keep clean, without stray hairs, and retain their value more fully as well. I guess I'm just a boxer! The only dolls I debox are Monster High dolls, a children's fashion doll line, because there are a ton of them and I just simply do not have the space. This is the only form of doll I have ever deboxed in my life, and if I had the space not to do this, I would have kept them boxed instead!!

I hope someday to have all of the 17" LE dolls (missing 4 as of right now), as well as the Designer Princess dolls (missing 6 as of right now). I want to make a whole wall-sized display of them! To me, they are the epitome of Disney collecting, and I love them so much!

I dont collect disney dolls but am a huge collector of star trek and DC comics items, I call myself a serial unboxer but some things I do not open. If I cant see it, I open it, or whats the point of having it in my mind? I also look at its age. If it is new I open it but as with some of my items, if it is over 30 years old I then look at how much is it worth, how easy is it to obtain. If it can be taken out the box and put back in I will probably open it. but if once open it cant be put back like a lot of figures I will probably leave it in and glare at it.

I dont collect disney dolls but am a huge collector of star trek and DC comics items, I call myself a serial unboxer but some things I do not open. If I cant see it, I open it, or whats the point of having it in my mind? I also look at its age. If it is new I open it but as with some of my items, if it is over 30 years old I then look at how much is it worth, how easy is it to obtain. If it can be taken out the box and put back in I will probably open it. but if once open it cant be put back like a lot of figures I will probably leave it in and glare at it.

This. And everything else xD

With my earlier Disney Dolls I'd take them out of the box, but now I've been keeping them all in their original packaging. For my older loose dolls I plan on staging them in shadow-boxes.

I always take my dolls out of their boxes. I used to keep them in, but it makes them look so.. dead I guess? Taking them out makes them look like mini-humans, and their clothes are soooo much prettier! Especially Wedding Rapunzels veil is absolutely stunning once spread out! Plus I don't like the way the hairs of the dolls are tied down.

I collect both dolls and figures, and as collector of lots of series, anime, videogames, and Disney figures I always Debox my items. In my own personal opinion, I feel like these things were meant to be to be opened and free, that way you can see the true potential of the doll, the display of her dress, hair, and pose her as you wish.

Example of dolls were their potential is limited to those keeping them in their boxes: Designer Mulan, Gothel, Ariel and Pocahontas dolls. Designer Mulan and Gothel have the prettiest dresses in both Princess and Villains collection, but if you leave them without opening them you can never really appreciate these dolls exquisite trails, where the back of the dress is the main thing about it. Then what annoys me the most about Desginer Pocahontas and Ariel are the pose which they come when new. Pocahontas has her head all the way up, and Ariel's pose isn't the best one, also noted Ariel's full dress is kept underneath so another downfall on not opening her :S .

I respect the choice of those who kept them in their boxes, but I'm super happy with my open and free displayed dolls. Currently I own 6 Designer Princess, 3 Designer Villains and 3 Limited 17" dolls.

I agree 100% with you.

Not a doll collector but I do have a bunch of action figures.

When I was little (12-15 years old or so) I would open everything that I'd get, and I'd actually play with them.

Now, I managed throughout the years to get some action figures series complete, and I find myself too old to still play with them (lol), so anything I have gotten in the past 7 years or so (doesn't matter what really, action figures, stationary sets, etc ...) I keep everything sealed and in it's box / plastic.
In my mind it seems more valuable like that, hehe.
And also, out of my almost 700 Lion King items, there's loads I have just because I wanted it because it was pretty or something, haha, not to actual use in the first place.

The Big Bang Theory teaches us, that a "true nerd" (my friend always calls me that because of my huge collection -_- ) never opens a seal, or it will loose value :p haha

I've been collecting disney dolls now for a good 6 months, and the 12'' play dolls have all been unboxed, with some of them on display. I don't mind dusting those off for now until I can put them in some glass cabinet or something. The three designer dolls I have (rapunzel, Gothel and Ursulla) are all still in their boxes as they're nicer to display. I also have the LE edition of the Little mermaid from mattel (from the film premiere) unfortunately she didn't come with the box, so i need to undust her quite a lot. But hopefully with a LE Ariel coming later in the year, I'll be able to replace her.

My collection too remains boxed, I have never de-boxed any of my dolls, thought about it, but then decided against it, for me personally, its harder to maintain them if theyre deboxed, with things like hair frizz, dust etc....mine are safely stored away, I hoe to display them soon, but have just finished re-decorating, so need to get some shelves or something first :)

The Big Bang Theory teaches us, that a "true nerd" (my friend always calls me that because of my huge collection -_- ) never opens a seal, or it will loose value :p haha

If you need the Big Bang Theory to teach then you are not a "true nerd." :lol:

The decision of "outside the box" or not can easily be determined by answering this: Why are you collecting?
Life is not a spectator's sport.

I keep my dolls in the box for ease of display. Also, quick identification.

When a doll is in the box it reminders me of the moment before I would open a new doll as a child, that excitement and anticipation. Once it was open it was just a toy, but while still in the box it was a gift and a surprise and brand new.

I don't believe it is of any value to for folks to say if others should box or debox, it is whatever gives you joy. Hobbies ought not be criticized, they are for fun and good feelings, not negativity.

I keep my dolls in the box for ease of display. Also, quick identification.

When a doll is in the box it reminders me of the moment before I would open a new doll as a child, that excitement and anticipation. Once it was open it was just a toy, but while still in the box it was a gift and a surprise and brand new.

I don't believe it is of any value to for folks to say if others should box or debox, it is whatever gives you joy. Hobbies ought not be criticized, they are for fun and good feelings, not negativity.

I really like the way you worded that...I feel the same way about keeping my dolls boxed, I just don't think I ever was able to put it in words as well as you just did!

The only dolls I have are the designer villains and the LE Tremaine and Gothel. For the designer villains I reposed them to how I want but I still keep them in their plastic case. I took my two LE dolls out of their boxes. I just think they are easier to see and I love posing them haha. I plan on getting a glass case one day and putting my LE dolls in it.

I only have one doll, the LE Merida. I took her out of the box because I want to touch her (okay that sounds weird), feel her clothes and play with her hair and everything. I've considered not taking her out of the box, but I feel she looks kinda dead when she's in it, the box make me feel like she's in a coffin. Also it takes up way to much space, since I don't have a lot of room and I want some other LE dolls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back