• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

2013 Fairytale Designer Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Fairytale Designer Collection
Just got back from holiday, and wauw what a pleasant surprise. The litho's look absolutely amazing. as many I am eagerly awaiting the actual photo's of these designer couples. I can't really make up my mind, about which ones I want... i think if these are all due to come out by October, I might as well do a pre-order for all of them. They usually have that option here in the UK too (they did for last year's villains). At the moment I'm really liking Jasmine, Ariel and Snow and to a lesser extent Rapunzel and Belle.
I'm definitely not surprised by the choice of couples. I've always had the feeling Eric, Aladdin and Eugene were the guys who had the more goodlooking haircuts in the films so I do think they'd been given the rooted hair treatment. Looking at the litho's their hair seems a lot wavier. Hoping for the best... The beast is going to be a very interesting one. If executed well, I can see this selling out in a matter of hours... I'm not entirely sure how they are going to do Charming... somehow I feel that they could have added his hat with feather, we'll just have to see. Very very very excited dollies fan here!

Oh man, guest art signing for the Fairytale Design Collection? Think this means the lithos will be Expo exclusives or is there something else they'd be signing there?

The art work is absolutely beautiful, but I am really worried about how they have transferred the looks to the actual dolls. The original designs of the princess Designer Collection were very simple and the dolls' outfits were mainly silk etc. whereas these fabrics look much more detailed, so I hope they have pulled it off.

So did Gerald Mendez and Jessica Fuchs do the art for these Designer dolls? Did they do the art for the last 2 sets? I thought it was Steve Thompson. Maybe this new set is a new series but just carries the Designer title to sell

Wow, I love that journal art. I really hope these will be easy to get.

Everyone seems to be getting whipped into a frenzy, but remember the DVs were fairly easy to get and all their accessories were available in stores that carried them and online for a decent amount of time. Disney wants to sell as many products as possible, not cause sell-outs and lose their profit to eBay sellers. I don't think they were prepared for the first Designer Princess line, but last year they handled things great, and they know princess are a top seller, so it is likely that these will not be as insane as the first collection.

I don't remember any of the Designer Princess merchandise, excluding the dolls, that hard to come by once they were released. I remember being able to pick up the designer princess merch at my Disney Store after the release and now I'm kicking myself because I never did.

It depended on your store. My local DS at the time ran out of the items quite quickly and never got some items in. I don't remember them lasting on the website long either. If your store was lucky enough to get the full line then it's a different situation.

I know I was desperate for a Designer Belle or Mulan mug and couldn't manage to get either.

Last edited:
And I actually meant the dolls, not the journals. I hope the dolls (who I assume will be based on the journal art) will be easy to get this time.

The DP merch got stocked in my store and then re-stocked one more time. I was able to get a few mugs, and would have been able to get all the mugs/journals/note cards if I'd had the money at the time. I'm not sure about the dolls, I never was able to get to the store to buy them. I really hope they do a raffle system like last year, it made everything so easy and fair.

I think that given the fiasco of the original designer release, Disney would probably increase their stock of items this time around? It's my hope anyway

We know there will be journals due to a leaked picture. Do we know for sure what other items (besides the dolls) will be in this collection?

Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a while and decided to finally join in. I can't wait to see the dolls. I'm hoping to get a full set to go with my designer princesses and villains.

I think that is a good point that Disney would have learned from their understatement of the demand for the first collection but dont forget they also overstated it with last year's collection. Plus this is another princess collection and the princesses seem to be very popular, even moreso that the villains. Also because this is also another Expo year it just draws more attention to the collection. So I can see why it is justified that people are worried that they will miss out.

The fact that the villains did not sell as well or fast as its predecessors is a result of many things but we still do not know what the edition size of each set within the collection will be. The fact that there are fewer this year may mean that Disney will probably retain the a similar edition size to that of the villains last year but we also know that these took a while to sell so there is also a likelihood that Disney would decrease the size due to what happened last year.

Either way until we know what the edition size will be it will be difficult to determine how hard it will be to obtain the dolls. Also Disney has still not released any information about when they will be released and how you will be able to purchase them i.e can you preorder the set online or will that be only a feature at the D23 Expo again? Which will also be a huge factor in relation to how sales will go.

Finally you have to also consider the fact that there are more people now aware of the Expo and the Designer Collections moreso than there was during the past two years. So there is a strong chance that even if Disney were to increase the edition size, the demand for these items would have increased as well.

Whatever edition size they choose to go with, I just hope they make them all the SAME edition size. I found it really odd how the Designer Princesses had edition sizes ranging from 4,000-8,000. So even though there were 8,000 of some dolls, only 4,000 people could have the entire collection of 10 dolls.

I do think 13,000 was a tad high for villains (but maybe not for princesses...). But these dolls are also more expensive so that may deter people from buying all of them, and instead just focusing on their favorites. I would think somewhere between 8,000-12,000 would be appropriate for this collection.

I really hope we see some pictures of the dolls soon! I forget how it worked for the designer princesses...did we see pictures before the expo?

I believe the princesses were revealed on the second day (Saturday) of the expo. The only images released before that were the pins and lithos I think.

i also agree with your comment about the edition sizes. Whilst 13000 was a lot for the villains I don't believe so for the princesses and the fact that they only have five this year with two within the set does justify the price so I am not sure if that wil deter most people. E.g in the past they might have had more dolls but the price was lower. So the princesses you had 10 so to get the whole set I think cost around $590, with each being around the $59.99 mark? I dunno if that is right so please feel for to correct me if it is not. Then you had the villains at $80 each with 6 dolls that worked out to be around $480. With this set being around the $130 mark it works out to be around $650 for the entire set, whilst that is the hugest of the three it really isn't much different to the original princess line which was about $50 less. So whilst it may deter people from collecting the entire set if a scalper was willing to purchase sets of the entire line in the past I don't see why they wouldn't do so again this year.

Either way I am just nervous because I really don't want to miss out and I am hoping I don't.

Every year I have made a decision about the Designer collection. With the princesses I didn't want to fight people in stores, so I tried online and didn't get through. I have since bought Ariel and Rapunzel on eBay and am very happy with them. Yes I paid more (though I got an amazing deal on Ariel based on what she sells for) but I also had a lot less stress about the situation. With the villains I did the first release, Maleficent, in store, saw it wouldn't be stressful and bought the rest online, half of them on sale.

If this collection gets NUTZ I am going to hold off and wait until the toy "off season" (prices on eBay fluctuate according to the time of year I've noticed) and just get Ariel/Eric and Rapunzel/Flynn on the after market. If I got the others at retail I would probably trade them for first collection ones I don't have anyway.

A lot of people who bought the first collection bought them to re-sell, so it is still fairly easy to find them on eBay. And I have to draw a line somewhere because I never want my collecting, which is sup[posed to be enjoyable, to get stressful. So I will hope for the best, but if all Hades breaks loose, then I'll just wait it out :angel: ... deep breath, I'm staying calm....

According to stitch kingdom they are doing the signings in relation the the collection on Friday so one would assume Friday. But the official D23 website does not specify the time or day however I believe that stitch kingdom has been a credible source so they may just know something that we do not and that Disney has not posted the details on the site yet.

Is it me, or has 3 out of the 4 Designer Villains dolls remaing on DS.com finally sold out?! I checked DS today and the only Designer doll that appears available is Mother Gothel. I thought that Ursula, Cruella and Queen of Hearts were going to haunt DS.com for a long time just like LE Merida and Elinor.

Status
Not open for further replies.