• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

2013 Fairytale Designer Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Fairytale Designer Collection
Ok I've decided.... I'm buying all of the sets!!! Yes, some are very different, but as a collector that's what I want. I already have a zillion Snow White dolls that pretty much look the same...it'll be nice to have one that's different and the embroidery on the costumes really sold me -- so intricate and beautifully done!!! Give some credit to the folks who put all their efforts into these beauties. You can't please everyone and some folks will never be pleased...whatever. Be as picky as you want, but they're not going to keep making the dolls exactly the same for years on end, that gets boring. Can you imagine how many Snow White dolls have been made to look the same since 1937?!?! You gotta be a little creative with the look or it's like, "that's been done before." Just wish people would see these for what they are... DOLL ART. Keeping the spirit of the character but breathing new life into them for a special edition. Enjoy them!!!

Hmm, what do you guys think - should I wait to pick up the journals till they're on sale or do you think they won't make it to that stage/price? Near $20 each is a bit steep, but the last thing I want is to miss them.
Agree with what disneykid85 said, don't risk it and buy the ones you really want first. The journals, mugs and lithos seems to be the things that do sell out, even with the Villains those things were't around as long as the dolls.

Ok I've decided.... I'm buying all of the sets!!! Yes, some are very different, but as a collector that's what I want.
Congrats! I think the sets displayed together are going to look very good. Anyone who is a collector is fine seeing their character in a different form now and then. It keeps things interesting. I'm biased of course and was hoping for Designer Jessica, but I think people really wanted the Designer Princes too and this was the only way to bring them into the line. And if there is a second Fairytale set with the other couples, people are really going to regret not getting these.

Agree with what disneykid85 said, don't risk it and buy the ones you really want first. The journals, mugs and lithos seems to be the things that do sell out, even with the Villains those things were't around as long as the dolls.

True, though I found the journals on sale at my local Disney Store. I wasn't paying attention to the merch for the Designer Princess line, so anyone know if those sold out pretty quick? I'm assuming these are going to be more popular due to being princesses rather than villains.

Of the non-doll merchandise, for both the 2011 Designer Princess Collection and the 2012 Designer Villain Collection, the journals were among the last things to sell out, and at the retail stores stuck around long enough to make it into the clearance section at a discounted rate. That said, the "popular" Designer Princess journals did often sell out before the journals went on clearance (Rapunzel, Ariel, Belle, Snow White), but back in 2011, quantities of each product were a lot more limited than in 2012's collection. Keep in mind that the 2011 Collection journals were only available in stores, and the 2012 Collection journals were available both online and in-store.

But yes, the advice to get your favorites first right out the gate is the best advice, just in case. The journals were sold for $19.50 each in 2011 and $16.50 each in 2012, which quite frankly is a rather high-priced journal to the average consumer. Of course, we are really paying for the images of the Disney characters on the cover (and on the inside pages as of the Designer Villains Collection).

It seems such a long wait for new dolls then so many at once. Just think in a months time we will have snow and Rapunzel! I'm getting Rapunzel and Ariel and the lithographs hopefully. I'm hoping my disney store(20 min away) has these as they did have the villains. Their was no raffle or people queuing outside the store for the villains in my store maybe its more the US and other countries were more people go for them? Anyone from the UK who went to get the villains,or princesses did your store have raffles and queuing before store opening? Might not be as bad because I'm not in London or a major city so as long as I'm their at store opening time I should be ok.

Just a quick question do you think it's worth me trying to get Snow or one of the other sets I don't personally want to trade for designer Cinderella? Or do you think anyone would trade a designer villain for a cinderella?

Last edited:
I can't wait for this collection period!!!(dolls, pins, mugs etc.) Looks like the non doll merchandise will be online first so I hope to get the lithos and maybe a mug or journal aside from the dolls. As far as trading dolls go, you'll never know unless you try. You can always put a post up in the sales forums and see if someone may be interested.

I went to Oxford street for the remainder of the designer princesses and they handed out tickets for the dolls. I travelled from Wales so made sure we were there a good 2 hours before the store opened and we only managed to come away with 2 dolls. It's funny thinking back as you could tell the scalpers apart from the real collectors! With the villains they were at my local store and were there for weeks until they were put on sale. I'd try and find out if they are definately going to be on sale at your local store especially with the smaller edition sizes it might be limited like the designer princesses.

If you do go to the store make sure you check your doll thoroughly as the Rapunzel I ended up with had a massive stain on her dress. It was almost like cooking oil had stained it, I was gutted as we'd travelled up specifically for the dolls and it was a day I remember we'll as it was almost my birthday! Luckily I was able to get her online but I'd have been really mad if I couldn't as when I emailed DS they wanted me to ship the doll back for them to inspect it even though id sent pictures so no guarantee that they'd send a replacement. As you can imagine I really wasn't happy with this as surely they should've had some sort of quality control in place for these dolls knowing the hype surrounding them!

Last edited:
FWIW, my store here in the US told me today that these will be sold via raffle again, like the Villains. No lining up before opening. They are just waiting to hear specifics on timing and such.

Does anyone know the retail price of a single mug? Ive never purchased the mugs before so I would like to be financially prepared for the purchase this time.

I would reserve about $13 + tax for each, as that was the approximate price for the Designer Villains mugs. The 2011 Designer Princess mugs went up for sale in the middle of a store-wide drink ware sale, so they generally sold for a lot less than the MSRP.

How much will the shipping be to ship the whole set of dolls to a US address? I've never ordered a large shipment like this before from disneystore...will there be the $5 shipping deal available?

How much will the shipping be to ship the whole set of dolls to a US address? I've never ordered a large shipment like this before from disneystore...will there be the $5 shipping deal available?

Typically, orders made on the US website totaling $75 or more before tax and then shipped to a US address will be eligible for the free shipping promo. Just be sure to enter the appropriate current free shipping promo code prior to completing checkout.

FWIW, my store here in the US told me today that these will be sold via raffle again, like the Villains. No lining up before opening. They are just waiting to hear specifics on timing and such.

that's unfortunate. I actually preferred lining up. It's kinda unfortunate to have to travel all the way to the store for the chance that you'll get one (I live an hour away so 2 hours round trip via public transportation is a pain). At least if you line up, you can control how early you get there whereas a raffle is totally random.

idk I thought lining up was complete chaos and insanity. people have work and lives- not everyone can be there at 3am to wait for opening but I know people do it. maybe that sounds harsh but that's the way it was when I tried to pick up designer rapunzel. I was expecting to find a bunch of disney lovers, but instead I was surrounded by potential resellers and got approached by people AHEAD of me asking to buy them a whole set (the last 5) if they gave me the money. I didn't even get a doll- the mall had opened another set of doors first and our group had no chance. so, even if you can be there early, there's no real guarantee you'll get the doll. either way I suppose it depends on how many people show up.
when I picked up Gothel it was very low key and organized, and I for one thought it worked brilliantly. just my opinion

Last edited:
I can see how implementing the raffle is meant to tone down the chaos, but I didn't like that it was at noon for the villains. Not everyone can leave where they're currently at/drop what they're doing in the middle of the day. At least if you did it before or after work/school, it would be easier. Personally, I don't have a car and I'm a student in University. Having the raffle at 1 means that I cannot get down to the store unless I want to miss class, and I don't want to miss the whole day of school because I MIGHT get a doll. I don't encourage scalpers but having a raffle doesn't mean that they still won't bring as many friends to get their name into the bucket either. If you line up and don't get it, then it's unfortunate--next time, you'll just have to try and come earlier. Not trying to argue at all; we all have our opinions and that is completely fine that you don't agree with me. I just felt that it was more fair to give the control to the people actually spending the money to buy the product. If you really wanted it that badly, you wouldn't mind waiting.

Also, we don't really have to talk about this anymore. I appreciate you sharing your opinion auroradawn, but let's just keep this board positive and forget about the issues that occurred in the past. Hope everyone that actually wants a doll to keep (and not buy and sell for profit) actually gets them

Last edited:
Lines, raffles, time of day, etc. It really doesn't matter what they do or when they do it. It will be convenient or inconvenient for everyone depending on their schedule. There is no way to please us all.

Lines, raffles, time of day, etc. It really doesn't matter what they do or when they do it. It will be convenient or inconvenient for everyone depending on their schedule. There is no way to please us all.

+1

And luckily those that are unsuccessful at the store release, or cannot attend the store release to begin with, can try their luck online the next day.

Not sure how touchy the subject of the raffled chance to buy is, so I'll just ask the one question that's been bugging me for a while and then be done. I have class around 12-ish myself and I already know they'll be doing the raffle at my local DS. What I'm wondering is if I and my family were to go early and get a ticket each and I had to leave for class before the actual raffle, would one of my family be able to redeem my ticket if that's the number pulled? I would be crushed if my number is pulled and I can't get the doll just because I personally wasn't there.

At the villain release I showed them my ID to verify I was over 18 before I got the ticket - but you could probably fill out the card however you want, and they would just call the name of the person who would be there. Personally, I'm probably skipping class for Ariel

I'm skipping class for Ariel and Rapunzel LOL!!! I'm wondering if I should get someone to come with me so I have a better shot at getting them....It was nice Witt the villains because I wouold just go after class and they would still have plenty left over. I don't know how this collection is going to be. I hope that the price and past experience would detour some people away. However, many people paid HUNDREDS, for 1 designer princess.....so yeah, I have no clue what to expect. I just know I can't afford all of them so ordering the set is out of the question and I don't want Snow or BATB...

I dont think they do. I have an outlet close to me and we hit it on our way home from the store for the Ariel Pre-order and they didnt get any of her so im pretty sure they don't :/......but they do get some really cool stuff. I actually think i liked the merchandise i found at the outlet better than at the store! They had great deals (I got the first DS Merida doll, the one with the dark blue dress, cape and bow, for 4 DOLLARS!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.