• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DOLLS 2022 Limited Edition Dolls

DOLLS 2022 Limited Edition Dolls
The quality is definitely lower on this last Ariel doll. I'm probably a bit more critical than some doll collectors (because I try to sew and make customs, which makes me very critical of every stitch), but I noticed a few glaring issues with this Ariel.

The biggest one for me is how boring the inner part of her dress is. I had a very similar problem with the first Aurora doll in this series too. For Ariel, the pencil skirt interior is not working for me. I wish they had just made the dress one flowy solid piece (like in the concept art), or added a panel that goes to the floor. No stiff pencil skirt please.

After that I realized that other than the embroidery on the side panels the dress itself is too simple in overall design. And this inner/outer skirt style has been done on Merida, Moana, Cinderella, and Aurora... Come on, lots of dress styles out there! Let's not all be the same.

Disney also continues to use the same range of fabrics in this line, and it just does not interpret well from concept arts to final dolls. The Ariel doll needed completely different fabrics to make that concept art a reality. But they must be limiting the fabrics available, because the final product is way off. It's too stiff and simple. The same tulle (or maybe organza) for the sleeve and the same type of stiff fabric we've seen on other dolls for the puffy skirt.

Overall it's still pretty, but oh my gosh, if they could have used more appropriate fabrics. Like a satin sewn to look plush. The use of sheer organza. Anything that could look shimmery. Or maybe even Lycra for the slinky, curve-hugging appeal. I'm just rambling now, lol.

I have some issues with the plain makeup and accessories (or lack thereof, maybe a bracelet on the arm you can't see?), but if the dress was more appropriate, the other lacking features could be ignored.

If I get her I'm definitely going to try to spruce her up. Removing the flower, repaint the lips, change the shoes, add some jewelry, or whatever works.

Last edited:

banner images hd

Ignore that last rant about fabric problems. xD But speaking of boring designs, here's the Aurora I tried to fix up with simple additions. Actually, I had a friend add the bangs. He did an excellent job! I also changed out the blue rhinestones (both round and oval shaped) for ones that matched the dress better, though you can't see them here.

So, now I'm going to try to do something for the Ariel doll too. Maybe.

shopdisney dropped an anastasia anniversary mug...i wonder if this is a hint of us getting an Anastasia anniversary doll
I would love an anniversary doll of Anastasia! This is hopeful!

While I'm at it, how about another nice anniversary pack of the fairy duo from Don Bluth's Thumbelina. :) Though honestly the story should be rewritten better, lol. Still love the animation style and romance.

Last edited:
That Honey app thing is still helping me so much when buying these dolls.

I refreshed the browser like 10 times on the Ariel doll (just to make sure the Honey app knew I was interested in it, lol). That was around 10:30am EST this morning. Then by about 3pm I got a cashback offer from Honey for $26, along with ~12% for the other cashback deal. Might get her for less than $100 at this point, woot!

Just waiting for Honey to register the offers.

Bunch of cheapskates at Honey...

Got one cashback offer for $29.99, which was good. But the other offer (which has usually been $12 or more) is $1.29. -_-

In case anyone was wondering what the Honey offers are like right now.

I would love an anniversary doll of Anastasia! This is hopeful!

While I'm at it, how about another nice anniversary pack of the fairy duo from Don Bluth's Thumbelina. :) Though honestly the story should be rewritten better, lol. Still love the animation style and romance.
they also released a pin for her as well. i think we will see a LOT more of anastasia in the next couple months!

Funny....Anastasia. It was a 20th Century Fox film. For years I thought it was Disney, but diehard animation fans corrected me on that with "this is not Disney!" as seen in many forums over and over.... Apparently Disney was pretty fierce in the marketing arena during it's release as they had their own holiday line-up, and felt people would think this was Disney and they didn't want brand confusion. Fox spent a ton marketing-wise, and Disney tried or did ban ads where they had control. Now they own her and will make her a princess and sell stuff with artwork from (reminder) FOX ANIMATION, not Disney. The irony. I've always been a big fan, but part of that fandom was the fact she was an underdog non-disney princess. I'd probably get the doll if they release one, and then spend my days telling people, she's not Disney.

Funny....Anastasia. It was a 20th Century Fox film. For years I thought it was Disney.
It's even more ironic if you understand the full history of Don Bluth, the director of Anastasia. He was a disney animator who grew dissatisfied with the direction the studio was going so he left during the making of "The Fox and the Hound" while taking a few other Disney animators with him. I don't even think he was credited on the film. He made several movies from his own studio and each time Disney would interfere in their own way (supposedly). After Disney bought Fox I never thought they would act on the Anastasia license due to everything but it is great for fans, like me, who haven't seen Anastasia merchandise in years.

It's even more ironic if you understand the full history of Don Bluth, the director of Anastasia. He was a disney animator who grew dissatisfied with the direction the studio was going so he left during the making of "The Fox and the Hound" while taking a few other Disney animators with him. I don't even think he was credited on the film. He made several movies from his own studio and each time Disney would interfere in their own way (supposedly). After Disney bought Fox I never thought they would act on the Anastasia license due to everything but it is great for fans, like me, who haven't seen Anastasia merchandise in years.
That's exactly what I was thinking! I remember when Don Bluth was originally with Disney. I met an animator at a convention who worked with both Don Bluth studios and Disney in two different jobs, and he said the animation styles were virtually the same, ha ha. I also keep wondering if Disney will buy up the rights to his other works, like Thumbelina or All Dogs Go to Heaven. I'd love Thumbelina dolls too. But I'd be delighted with Anastasia no matter what! All those great outfits!

Back