• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Auction Rules? Opinions? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auction Rules? Opinions? Thoughts?

catburger

Grown Ups Please, ACT GROWN
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Hey everyone!

We were just wondering about some auction rules we've been seeing in the auction forum. So we thought we'd ask the DPF Family what their thoughts were on Auction End Times.

For example..if an auction states... ends 4/5/13 @ 8:00 PM. Shouldn't the last bid be accepted at 7:59PM? Because if people tried to snipe at 8:00 its a late bid right? The bidder would be placing a bid at 8:00:15

LOL, just a thought, any opinions?

Thanks!
Bob & Cat

I like what Yahoo auctions used to do: if a bid comes in within the last minute of the auction the auction is extended a few minutes (I think it was 5 or 15 minutes).

Last edited:
I've always thought a bid that shows up at 8:00 p.m. is OK, but I guess that technically you're right....our gallant mods will have to weigh in.

I like what Yahoo auctions used to do: if a bid bid come in within the last minute of the auction the auction is extended a few minutes (I think it was 5 or 15 minutes).

Interesting, I just think LAST LAST Minute bids is a bit excessive. I mean..bidding at about 7:50 is right. But if an end time is specified, not bids should be valid at 8PM lol

I don't think it really matters what the end time for bids is -7:59, 8:00, etc.- as long as the rules are clear on which it is, so everyone is on the same page.

I think if it changes the #1 spot, you go into sudden death and only the person who was knocked to #2 gets a single chance to rebid. And it only continues if that new bid knocks off the current #1 (aka the sniper.) And so on unitl someone taps out.

DODGEBALL!

Snipe at 8:00 pm is fine

If auction ends at 8 than last bid can be placed a 8. 8:01 it's too late

really? I guess Ebay should let people place bids right at the end time huh? I guess im just going by Ebay auctions, because if an auction ends at 8PM..the last bid can be placed at 7:59:59 . Im just trying to emphasize the END time. But i guess if that's the accepted rule, that a bid can be placed exactly on the end time. I guess thats the rule :)

I personally have never really understood the snipe bid on here. Sure, on EvilBay, I do it all the time! But when you're placing a bid where you don't even know if the bid you place is for sure going to be in first place? Why do it?

I'm interested to see what folks have to say on this subject.

Also... interested in any other questions, comments, concerns, and suggestions about auctions. If you've got any, BRING IT ON!!!!

really? I guess Ebay should let people place bids right at the end time huh? I guess im just going by Ebay auctions, because if an auction ends at 8PM..the last bid can be placed at 7:59:59 . Im just trying to emphasize the END time. But i guess if that's the accepted rule, that a bid can be placed exactly on the end time. I guess thats the rule :)

So, should we say Auctions ends 8:00:59 PM? sounds a little trivial. Also, this is not Ebay.

I personally have never really understood the snipe bid on here. Sure, on EvilBay, I do it all the time! But when you're placing a bid where you don't even know if the bid you place is for sure going to be in first place? Why do it?

I'm interested to see what folks have to say on this subject.

Also... interested in any other questions, comments, concerns, and suggestions about auctions. If you've got any, BRING IT ON!!!!

It's been brought up in another thread, but the bumping is getting a little out of control...posts to acknowledge every single bid, repeated posts urging people to bid, etc. (it doesn't have to say 'bump' to be an obvious bump). On the last day, however, I don't have a problem with a couple of extra bumps to say 'last 4 hours', 'one more hour', etc.

So, should we say Auctions ends 8:00:59 PM? sounds a little trivial. Also, this is not Ebay.

Im not suggesting that at all lol. It's really just a matter of the interpretation of an END time. A specified end time, we believe should be followed and no bid should be placed at the END time lol. BUT, like i said, if this is the general concensus that its okay..then thats that :)

We should make a new rule for auctions :) We should had the time and pin point it down to seconds! Because like our DPF family member Catburger pointed out, there could be confusion and people wont know what time it really ends unless this rule is enforced.

So it seems the consensus is that bids that show the end time ARE acceptable. Now take for example one of Kristine's (psycho_pixie) auctions where she puts a specific time including seconds till auction's end. Let's say her end time was 11:59 pm and 42 seconds. Does that really mean all bids (and for sure this will never ever ever happen) posted from 11:59:42:01-11:59:42:59 will count cause the time technically wouldn't be showing 11:59:43:00? We are all entitled to our opinions but that seems a bit off... :werd:

This is obviously off topic, so I apologize in advance.

Catburger, while your new avatar is cute, I thought the picture of the cat in a burger suit was probably the cutest thing I ever saw!! Had to say it.

Now, back to Auctions.

...and another question that has come to mind lately (sorry I'm hijacking the thread, but Grim suggested we bring up any other auction issues):

Let's say I'm running an auction and there is a bid I like, but I'm concerned about trading with that member (no feedback, bad feedback, whatever)...is it OK to place a condition that the bidder would have to mail first? I wouldn't suggest raising the issue in the auction thread. What I have in mind is a PM to the bidder, copied to a MOD, asking for an email address to check Dizpins references and/or saying that the bid will be considered if the member agrees to mail first if (s)he wins the auction.

So, im good with the concensus that if an auction ends at a certain time, you can still bid at that certain time :) . Thanks for all the input!

...the last bid can be placed at 7:59:59 ...

Technically, 7:59:59 is still before 8:00:00, so it should be ok. But, do we see the time stamp with that much precision ?

One concern that was brought up in the past (and you were away cooking for others) was that members helping bidders, friends etc. I can understand how multiple people openly helping one bidder can frustrate other bidders who are interested in the same pin.

Princessbecky has a nice thread discussing this concern:

http://disneypinforum.com/showthrea...ing-for-others-and-or-rooting-for-them-to-win

This is obviously off topic, so I apologize in advance.

Catburger, while your new avatar is cute, I thought the picture of the cat in a burger suit was probably the cutest thing I ever saw!! Had to say it.

Now, back to Auctions.

Aww, Thanks! However, our avatar was drawn with some TLC! Can't beat that! lol. When i saw the rough sketch of the drawing I was all but ready to replace our avatar lol. But i was requested to wait for the finished product :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back