• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Buyer Be Ware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buyer Be Ware

bretu

Bret and Kelli
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There is a seller on Ebay who sells 6200 hidden mickey pins a week in lots of 25, 50 and 100. They say they trade for them at the parks. They are averaging $4500.00 a week. That's $180,000.00 dollars a year. Disney Ebay and the IRS are pitiful if they can't see whats going on. Seller is from Chattanooga. Is there a Disney park near there. AHHHH

i was cruising through ebay last night, looking at lot listings also. the one that stuck out the most, was the one selling lots from.....china. dont most fakes and scrappers come from there? but if anyone has good experience with getting large lots of pins from a seller in china, it might be worth looking into.

lol, even the real pins come from China. But seriously, it's frustrating. I don't buy lots at all on eBay unless the seller states "these are the exact pins you will be getting" and the number is not a multiple of 25 (ie... you are bidding on these 17 pins from my personal collection). I've done that 2 or 3 times and all the pins have been authentic. I've also bought from the China sellers when I first started out, and every single pin was counterfeit (and AWFUL quality). Big surprise. I've reported several of these people to eBay, as I also sell some pins, and these thieves are depreciating the value for those few honest sellers... but they don't do a thing. Months later, the seller is still selling the exact same auctions "300 pin lot, you'll get 50 different pins, 6 of each one!" How nice that he was able to trade for exactly 6 of 50 different pins. CONvenient.

There is a seller on Ebay who sells 6200 hidden mickey pins a week in lots of 25, 50 and 100. They say they trade for them at the parks. They are averaging $4500.00 a week. That's $180,000.00 dollars a year. Disney Ebay and the IRS are pitiful if they can't see whats going on. Seller is from Chattanooga. Is there a Disney park near there. AHHHH

Ah yes, I remember him well! I bought my first order of pins from him, and don't you know it, I learned that they were scrappers after I sarted investigating this hobby more! Wish I had researched before I sent him my hard earned money!! After I joined DPF, I wondered how long it would be before somebody posted about him.

Thankfully, I deal with an honest seller now-I guess the lessons we learn best are the ones that cost us cash!

A few points/comments/ideas. First, when i first started seriously collecting (when the drooling sickness started..u all know) I knew nothing and thought "this is great, lots of 25 pins cheap" Disney must be screwing us. I dint know about scrappers. So i can see how they attract newbies.
I also can kinda see Disney's approach toward not turning away traders, because they are happy and Disney is about making dreams come true.
So i have been thinking a lot lately, perhaps i or maybe someone with a legal or writing backgraound could write a factual letter with concerns on the scrapper issue and we could cut and paste it and all mail it to the Disney corp. Not asking them to change trading policy, but perhaps manufaturing policy. I am sure there are reasons this will be null and viod, but perhaps enough chirping birds may make someone at least address it? Just putting ideas out there, an email or 200 cant hurt.?

Hopefully they are paying taxes on their sales and the IRS wouldn't bother them (not their job). eBay doesn't police all their listings. They will remove listings and ban sellers depending on who complains, how much pull they have and number of complains and severity. But for the most part, as long as they get their fees, its fine with them. Disney is the only one that could stop it. However, as I have said many times, they either don't care enough or have no desire to stop it. If Disney wanted these sales stopped, it wouldn't take very long for them all to be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back