• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Announcement DPF "State of The Forum" - April 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Archive.org has stuff! At least some, through January 2021. The formatting is all crap, but I should be able to copy the "I Collect This: Directory."

What forum was the "Pinpics traders" post in? I can't remember, because I didn't use it too much.

I don't want to be responsible for editing these threads. So I am going to create a temporary thread, and then the people who do want to maintain these threads can create new ones and then copy & paste.

Archive.org has stuff! At least some, through January 2021. The formatting is all crap, but I should be able to copy the "I Collect This: Directory."

What forum was the "Pinpics traders" post in? I can't remember, because I didn't use it too much.

I don't want to be responsible for editing these threads. So I am going to create a temporary thread, and then the people who do want to maintain these threads can create new ones and then copy & paste.
Awesome! I am guessing Pin Trading as the thread. But that's a guess.
Thanks!

I can confirm the auction section is working properly. At least for posting an auction. But I'm not sure if it is working for people bidding on an auction. I suggest that every member go over there and bid on whatever auction happens to be there just to make sure. It's for the good of the forum! ;)

Will you be able to reply to threads once they are created and appear in there?
Replies, yes — I believe you can either reply in the forum or from the “discussion” tab on a given item in the marketplace. Will require some testing :)

Just posted a test trade thread through the new Marketplace. However . . . you can't post a thread without entering a price. But for trading . . . no price is needed or wanted really. What should we do on that? Enter a zero?
I will see if I can remove the price field from the trading section — I think I left it there in case there would be trades that require cash on top; but if this has never happened, I should be able to suppress the price field in the “trading” sections.

Thank you for bringing the forum back and doing updates! Here is some of my feedback, some of which come from having a tech background:

What are your suggestions for making the forum better? (More mods? The addition of some specific forums? etc..)
  • I definitely think there should be some more mods added, and people who have the powers to stop something like this from happening again (ex: being able to run updates, have more access to the tools necessary stop things in their tracks, etc.). Just anything you can do to prevent something like this happening again, or at least it being so damaging.
  • Definitely try to keep things updated, keep an eye out for known vulnerabilities (if possible).
  • Something I suggested in the chats while the forum was down, is that as a newbie (I joined in Feb) I found a lot of dead links and advice that was no longer applicable or referenced things that no longer existed or worked in pinned posts meant for newbies or referenced in general. I'm willing to go through all the pinned posts/material again and help clean up the forums a bit if wanted.
What features did you like/dislike in previous iterations of DPF?
  • If feedback is added back, I found the process of doing it a little strange. If it could be more streamlined that would be nice. I can't remember specific examples, I was only able to do it 4 times before the wipe.
What does DPF need? Can we grow it or increase activity?
  • As I mentioned in the first set of suggestions, I think making the place a bit easier to navigate as a newbie and making sure pinned posts are cleaned up every so often and/or updated (if able). I was confused quite a bit by posts meant to help me. If I wasn't quick to figure things out/find what I need through searching etc, I might have given up and gone somewhere else.
  • Good news is this community came up fairly quickly when I was searching around about Disney Pin collecting, though not sure how much the wipe might have affected search results. I know google SEO is quite literally it's own job (I haven't done it but have had coworkers do it) so not sure how much to suggest/help there, but I think just making sure things are updated and managed well (and reaching out through other social media platforms, etc) should help things along. Maybe have "partnerships"/affiliations with other disney pin collecting places. Forums aren't as popular as they used to be but taking advantage of using other platforms (Instagram, Discord, Facebook, Twitter, etc) might help.

I'll let you know if I think of more! I'm glad we're back.

I can't believe I missed this helpful post :eek: Thanks for the reply!

Thank you for bringing the forum back and doing updates! Here is some of my feedback, some of which come from having a tech background:

What are your suggestions for making the forum better? (More mods? The addition of some specific forums? etc..)
  • I definitely think there should be some more mods added, and people who have the powers to stop something like this from happening again (ex: being able to run updates, have more access to the tools necessary stop things in their tracks, etc.). Just anything you can do to prevent something like this happening again, or at least it being so damaging.
  • Definitely try to keep things updated, keep an eye out for known vulnerabilities (if possible).
  • Something I suggested in the chats while the forum was down, is that as a newbie (I joined in Feb) I found a lot of dead links and advice that was no longer applicable or referenced things that no longer existed or worked in pinned posts meant for newbies or referenced in general. I'm willing to go through all the pinned posts/material again and help clean up the forums a bit if wanted.
More mods is a great idea, and something I know we desperately need as many have come and gone; and since I haven't been around for the last 2-3 years, having active mods would make things go more smoothly.

I did pick up a new license that would keep us updated with the latest version for the next year, and the donations that have come in will more than cover server costs, and any paid additions to the forum for the near future.

What features did you like/dislike in previous iterations of DPF?
  • If feedback is added back, I found the process of doing it a little strange. If it could be more streamlined that would be nice. I can't remember specific examples, I was only able to do it 4 times before the wipe.
I'll see if there's anything better out now; we were using a feedback addon that I made some tweaks to, to accommodate DPF -- There has to be something better/more robust out now, especially now that we're on XF 2.0.

What does DPF need? Can we grow it or increase activity?
  • As I mentioned in the first set of suggestions, I think making the place a bit easier to navigate as a newbie and making sure pinned posts are cleaned up every so often and/or updated (if able). I was confused quite a bit by posts meant to help me. If I wasn't quick to figure things out/find what I need through searching etc, I might have given up and gone somewhere else.
  • Good news is this community came up fairly quickly when I was searching around about Disney Pin collecting, though not sure how much the wipe might have affected search results. I know google SEO is quite literally it's own job (I haven't done it but have had coworkers do it) so not sure how much to suggest/help there, but I think just making sure things are updated and managed well (and reaching out through other social media platforms, etc) should help things along. Maybe have "partnerships"/affiliations with other disney pin collecting places. Forums aren't as popular as they used to be but taking advantage of using other platforms (Instagram, Discord, Facebook, Twitter, etc) might help.

Definitely agree; trading and other discussion has moved to other platforms over the years, but I do still think the "organization" and relative permanence of information, along with the way it's presented in forum(s) is way more conducive to learning about and discussing a new hobby. Thanks for the feedback as a new member :) This will definitely help drive the way info is managed and presented here. I'll definitely see what we can do about cleaning up old posts/stickies (if you have any suggestions, or would like to help in some way i'm all ears!)

I can't believe I missed this helpful post :eek: Thanks for the reply!

More mods is a great idea, and something I know we desperately need as many have come and gone; and since I haven't been around for the last 2-3 years, having active mods would make things go more smoothly.

I did pick up a new license that would keep us updated with the latest version for the next year, and the donations that have come in will more than cover server costs, and any paid additions to the forum for the near future.

I'll see if there's anything better out now; we were using a feedback addon that I made some tweaks to, to accommodate DPF -- There has to be something better/more robust out now, especially now that we're on XF 2.0.

Definitely agree; trading and other discussion has moved to other platforms over the years, but I do still think the "organization" and relative permanence of information, along with the way it's presented in forum(s) is way more conducive to learning about and discussing a new hobby. Thanks for the feedback as a new member :) This will definitely help drive the way info is managed and presented here. I'll definitely see what we can do about cleaning up old posts/stickies (if you have any suggestions, or would like to help in some way i'm all ears!)
Great to hear! And I can totally help, at least for now (at some point in a couple months my life will be consumed with moving to another country). I'll comb through things tomorrow.

Yay, I’m back! Thank you so much for restoring my account. ❤️
@Cicada Sora posted in the Discord today that her IP address has been banned. Could you share your email address so she can reach out to you? (You can PM me).

I’m banned again? What the heck.

[9:37 AM]
Does anyone know of a way to contact Cicada off the forum? Like an email address or something?

[9:40 AM]
I think maybe he unblocked my screen name so I could change my password, but didn’t do anything about my IP address. (I don’t know anything about these things, but it’s just a guess. The one time I was able to gain access to the forum again was following the link to reset my password that Cicada sent me, but that doesn’t work anymore now that I’ve reset it.)

Ok here we go!
@Cicada
I listed everything even if it didn't have pinned posts just to show I looked through it all, I didn't accidentally skip over it.

FRONT DESK

DPF News & Announcements
This is pretty cleared already, but I figured I should mention the locked post DPF charter members! the image is broken. Still, pretty clear what it means.
b1bXxLT.png

Forum Rules & Guides
The Help Desk
Only pinned post is the DPF 3.0 thread, so no problems here. I guess the other pinned posts were wiped as I thought there were others.

DISNEY PIN DISCUSSION

Introductions
Nothing pinned here so no problems. Though having a pinned message with a guide of what you could mention in your intro post might be helpful.

Disney Pin Discussion
Nothing pinned. Same for the sub-forum inside for Help Me Identify This Pin!

DPF Secret Santa 2021

Nothing pinned. Same for the sub-forum inside for DPF Secret Santa Archives

Pin Guides & FAQs

Here it is, the main forum I had the most problems with as a newbie.
  • Pin Terms and Abbreviations Explained No links, good info, but one(I assume) importing issue from the old forum before the current software. Mainly, "Cloisonné" shows as "Cloisonné". Since this is meant as a newbie guide and some people might think that's actually what the term is instead of a common web issue (I knew right away as I've seen this before with special glyphs for older webpages that have been moved/upgraded) I figured I should mention as it's thankfully an easy fix if you can edit the post. Though, I wonder if the post should be remade (if needed) and updated as there is room for more terms to be added. For example I saw DSSH mentioned a ton before I knew what it referred to, so having that added might be helpful.
  • WDW Pin Trading Location Guide Mentions Dizpins which might confuse most new members who don't know what Dizpins was. Some slight formatting issues, and the one link just redirects to ShopDisney, which isn't helpful in this case as the link is supposed to be where you can find out dates for a Pin Trading Night. Other info might be outdated, I don't know as the only pin trading experience I have from WDW is from 2005 and I only traded once with a CM. I was 13 and that trip is what introduced me to Disney pins.
  • References!! A how-to guide for the new user!!! This post also mentions Dizpins, and the rnrcollectables.com link is dead. With the new upgrade, the DPF portion will probably be outdated/not usable.
  • An easy way to frame your pins: Stretched Canvas images are all dead. BUT this is where I can help! I actually have experience doing stretched canvas as I did it at an old job of mine (we printed photos onto canvas) and I also did it for a painting class in college. I've added fabric to some canvas to display my pins before I found this forum (and I currently use it to display my badge/pinbacks). I can recreate this post if you like with my own tips and tricks that I've learned being a poor college student (Like buying cheap picture frames from Goodwill to use instead) among other things. I could also go over other display methods I've learned from other people here and make it a masterpost.
  • Artist Proof (AP) and Pre Production (PP) Pins - Guide and FAQs the article this links to has been dead since before I joined. It just redirects to Pinpics front page.
Event Coverage
Nothing pinned.

Pin Comparison
Nothing pinned.

Pin Showroom
Nothing pinned.

DPF MARKETPLACE

Nothing since everything is a WIP and while I know there used to be pinned posts, they are gone now.

OTHER DISNEY COLLECTABLES

No pinned posts in either subforum.

GATHERINGS, EVENTS & MEETS

No pinned posts in Pin Trading Gatherings

OTHER DISNEY COLLECTABLES

No pinned posts in any of the subforums.

Ok this was easier than I expected, I guess a lot of pinned posts must have gotten deleted as I definitely remember a few more I didn't come across.
Let me know if you want to write up/make that guide. I still have a staple gun and even a frame I could use for it, since the steps would be about the same with a random frame as with a canvas. I could also just take apart one of the ones I've done, depending on how hard it might be to remove the staples.

@Cicada Sora posted in the Discord today that her IP address has been banned. Could you share your email address so she can reach out to you? (You can PM me).
i'm assuming the IP she is using is the one that's been logged into more than others -- I unbanned the IP; can you have her try again?

Thanks to all those who helped to keep things up and running! And a huge thanks to @Cicada for keeping this place going. I'm going to see if the badges thread was deleted - if it was, everyone's badges are still safe in my hard drive and I can try and get it uploaded as soon as I can.

Edit: Unfortunately, it does not look like the forum badges thread survived. I'm going to try and find a couple of hours this week to find my old files get a new thread up and running.

Last edited:
I’ve not been able to be on in a while posting, and when I came back I saw the notice about the hack. o_O Just wanted to send my well wishes that everything gets back in order and thanks Cicada and the consistent staff team for getting things up and running again and doing your best to sort it all out.

It’s awful what happened, but awesome that you guys are taking the time to keep it going! Whether I’m too busy to post or not, DPF has and will be my one stop for pin news and pin friends (not a social media person). So it’s really awesome that you were looking out for the many who still enjoy this format! All the best (And hi everyone!) :)

(and true to my non tech ways, I put this in the wrong thread first since it’s not an “issue”, just a post of appreciation - so deleted from there and reposting here ;))

*References and feedback is missing
I don't believe it's available at the moment.
I very much hope that our feedback profiles will be able to be retrieved.

Feedback has returned! I was able to purchase and upgrade the same feedback system we were on before, and it looks like everything transferred over nicely. Huzzah!

There's also a "Feedback" tab at the top to view the latest feedback/top traders/etc...:

1618268400428.png

Last edited:
Feedback has returned! I was able to purchase and upgrade the same feedback system we were on before, and it looks like everything transferred over nicely. Huzzah!

There's also a "Feedback" tab at the top to view the latest feedback/top traders/etc...:

View attachment 16664
Yay! I thought I would lose the very tiny amount I had already gotten so glad it was able to transfer over.

View attachment 16664
That. Is. AWESOME! Thank you!!

Tapatalk should be back! Please login/check, as I don't use Tapatalk -- report any issues in the "Help Desk" thread here:

Tapatalk should be back! Please login/check, as I don't use Tapatalk -- report any issues in the "Help Desk" thread here:

Looks good, currently posting via tapatalk :)
25f66028f34ed772082f966125ccaae4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back