• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DSF Pin Event News!

DSF Pin Event News!

iamdisneydan

The Bald Guy In The Back
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Hello Fellow Traders and collectors.

I recently got back from the DSF pin event today and will share my experience. I knew this would be a busy event and was originally planning on getting there at about 4am.
Good thing I bumped it up an hour because when I got there at 3:15am, I received #113 and the line got longer fast after that.

Here is the news about the pins and some problems with them as well as a bit about the event. Overall, it was calm in line and most of us knew each other. i did hear only one person upset about someone getting into line that had not already established being there but it was quickly resolved. Other than that it was fine.

I do have to give credit to the DSF for how they handle things, they had a restroom available to all and the number system and entry to the store worked well. But then the problems started.

Many of the people who were getting their pin noticed a lot of defects ranging from missing Cloisonné, bad silk screening, visible glue and many other problems. here is where it gets bad.

I will speak of personal experience. I bought 2 complete sets of the playing cards (Not sure why there was not a diamond) and the Mayor on one of the pins rather than the swirl eye it was all black. One of my Zero Pins was missing all of the Cloisonné on his nose and Lock, Shcok and Barrel had black smiles where the teeth were not present and patterns on the clothing that were not there.

There was a line to replace these pins and I quickly got into it. When they replaced my pins, they took the bad ones and put them back in the boxes for the people still coming in from the line. Eventually, someone was going to get stuck with some terrible pins.

I know these are LE300 pins but there has to be a better way. In my opinion, I have been noticing a drop in quality. This is not the first time and with pins that have such detail, defects stand out like a sore thumb.

People were getting very upset. I also had someone who owed me some money for pins I had previously got them so once they gave me their pins, (another full set of cards)I quickly inspected them and had 2 bad pins. By the time I got back in line, they were almost serving #150 meaning there were almost no pins left to trade in for.

I traded in a mayor for a good one and since they were out of Zero at this time, they allowed me to choose one of the two pins they still had left. Sally Queen or Mayor. He brought me the last two Mayor pins and one of them was the pin I just traded in for a better one, I choose the last good one and then got another Queen of Hearts.

Someone in line was going to get the messed up Mayor I just turned in and was even offered again to me right after I traded it in. It is sad to see that many people wait in line a long time to get these pins and they were of such poor quality.

Now there are a few ways to look at this. One is to check the pins at the time of purchase. I know when I was into POH, I would check 3 and choose the best one and ask to see 2 more to compare to. I really did not think there would be a problem so i did not check them until after the purchase. (Shame on me)

Two is get there super ealry so if you do have to trade them in, yu will have something to choose from and finally, what about the last 30 -40 people who buy the time they get their pins, there are no more left for exchange.

By the time you get in there is also really very little time for trading but I guess thats not the main reason people are there, although as you will see in another one of my post, I did rather well with a few large trades.

I wish Disneyland / DSF would address these problems for it is not fair to be a diehard supporter and get there at the wee hours of the night, wait in line and finaly get damaged, imperfect, untradeable pins.

The giveaway was ok but not as many pin sets as the personel at DSF had said they would give away when you asked them. They had pin boards but no-one was trading because tey may as well been all cuties.

All in all, if you did get lucky enough to get good pins, they are great for trading power.
The star wars weekend set I got consisting of 8 pins and were all Pink ($14.95) which is $119.60 less discounts and tax and I got them for a set of playing cards. (Half the price)

Overall it was a fun event and the socializing in line is what its all about aside from getting the pins. I just hope Disneyland does something about these quality issues. I feel bad for the last 20 - 40 people.

Thanks for the update... I would have LOVED to have been there, however, I do think that my frustrations would have been extreemly high with the trading in for better quality pins. That is unfortunate that Disney would produce, and even allow production of this quality. My thought would be that they would inspect the pins prior to release becuase I am SURE they had the pins in hand prior to last night. One would think they would be able to inspect the pins and send them back to the producers for the top quality that we have all come to expect from Disney. OR, at least come up with a better system becuase like you said the last people in line are stuck with duds.

From your other post, you had a great score today :) Lucky you!!!

Dan ~ I responded to your message ~ today and yesterday :/ not sure what happened with the first response. I hope you got the response today. :)

Great to meet you today, Dan! Looks like you covered the event well! We'll post up our pictures in this thread as soon as i get home :)

and a huge THANK YOU to Evilos (Chris) for the holiday gift!

Now that I woke up from my nap from this mornings event, I got in line at 3:40 a.m. At first, I asked myself, am I really here this early. Then I yawned and said yes. The first sign of pinsanity when you answer yourself. There were three individuals counting the first 150 and I had 3 different counts. I was 99, 112 and 123. By the time we were handed out the individual slips for pins, I ended up number 136. Cutting with friends? Oh well that's how it works since pin trading lines form. I the only pin I was there for was for an LE <300 and/or a Surprise Pin. YES there was a LE 150 and it was a surprise. So anyone behind me they got the chance at any of the LE 300 pins. Later if I do want a set of cards, I have over 1200 traders I can trade or multitrade????? I do have to say as I do every year for the NBC events, I'll get there earlyier. Yeah right. My first Zero did have a black spot on his stomach and qiucky returned at checkout. I misses the prizes by 10 and 12 ticket numbers but all in all I do meet someone new every year and luckly do get the low LE and/or surprise pin. There were not too many trader with pins I wanted but I'll wait until January for the DLR trade night for any wants and Grails. I was hoping for DPF to make a statement or intraduction but word of mouth is out there and is posted on Dizpins at 1 of 3 current sites to visit.

Great to meet you today, Dan! Looks like you covered the event well! We'll post up our pictures in this thread as soon as i get home :)

and a huge THANK YOU to Evilos (Chris) for the holiday gift!

Your so welcome : )

I can't wait to see the photos and video, I wanted to shot video today but with my limited time and the hundreds of people there I gave up.

Back