• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Limited edition vs limited release vs open edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Limited edition vs limited release vs open edition

lemec

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Ok, so I know limited edition is pretty self explanatory, but then we come to the grey area (or at least I think so, lol)...limited release and open edition pins. On pinpics, they are treated the same, buy I've always felt like they were closer to a limited edition pin with an unknown release number not a pin that meets it's fate when it stops selling well at the parks. I know there are some of the older pins that are technically limited release pins, but they are listed as limited edition size unknown on pinpics...so I guess all my rambling is this...how are OE pins equal or not equal to limited release pins, or do you regard them as the same in trades as a rack pin? It's been one of those things that kinda bothers me at times(I know, we all have our problems, lol, some just seem to be more strange than others).

Hmm...Open edition is just that; something that's standard like the Big Mac. Then you have limited release, which is similar (I think) to a McRib. The park does not release those pins all the time, and appear to be seasonal (not connected to any holiday, but given a certain allotment and window of release). As far as trading is concerned, trading it out, it would not be even close to a WDI, or anywhere between an LE150-750; in addition, it would depend on the character, theme, series, etc. to narrow down it's trade worth. Trading for it, perhaps somewhere near an LE1000 or a really nice open edition. Then again, if the pin was right and how badly I might need that pin would be other factors that may make a limited release worth letting go of some lower edition pins. Just continue to ask for more perspectives and perhaps the answer will come with time.

I think it has everything to do with desirability. I have the Rapunzel Reveal/Conceal Chaser and I've had people offer me LE100s and they've sold on ebay and on here for $100. So it's all a matter of timing. In the beginning limited release pins are very desirable, and part of that reason is most pin collectors are very impatient and want the newest pin right now, they just can't wait. Look at what happens with hidden mickeys. However once the pin has been out for awhile and it's not as limited the trade offers start to go down and what you can get for a limited release is no longer as great as when they first came out.

I have been trading some of the "limited release" pins from the WDW Attraction Vehicles mystery sets. Some of them I have traded for higher LE pins, some for older open edition pins that would complete my sets. I did trade one for a DS.com LE 400, but that only came about because the person was selling it for a price that would be equivalent to 1/2 a box price. Otherwise, I would have been embarrassed to ask for a lower LE pin.

I think Limited Release presents quite a problem. If it's unpopular it would probably be equal to a LE pin. If it turns out to be popular, Disney can keep releasing them and then it might be equal to an open edition pin. But then again, not all open edition pins are Big Macs. The silver framed DL COM character pins, the Autopia license plate pins, were released as "open edition." But those turned out to be single orders and are now de facto LE 2000 pins. Or like the DL Princess Dangles, also an "open edition" with value more than that designation would indicate.

So at the end of the day, I think I end up considering original retail price more than I do open, limited release, LE.

Then the chasers end up being their own kettle of fish. If there is only a single release, then some of those like the Rapunzel might very well be equivalent to a low LE. Or they have multiple releases and then they might just be a standard LE value.

This is in no way a fact, just an opinion and I have spoke to many people about this very subject in the past.
Lets not forget FIRST RELEASE.

As far as Limited release, some people say that Disney will put that and a typical limited release is greater than 1000 pins and less than 10,000 pins.
Again, this is not fact but the consensus of cast Members and other traders who are supposidly in the know.

Now, others have said that like the example with McDonalds, A limited release could also mean that lets say a OE rack pin will be on the racks for 1 - however many years if it continues to sell. Limited release may not pertain to the amount made but rather how long they are available. Maybe they will make it available (Like the McRib) for 6 months and how ever many sell in that time becomes the edition size.

I lean more towards this scenario. So technically, if it is a polular pin, it may sell more in 6 monmhs than a rack pin on the rack for 2 years.
We all know some cast members who are in the know and I am going to contact BEN (DLR) to see what he thinks. He is one of the most educated cast members I know and also a pin collector who is highly educated.

I know that first release is a trial run and if all goes well, they remove the first release and then start mass production. See, Disney also knows that when a pin has a difference, traders will treat it differently. many say AP is just another pin, however, some of us look at it like there are only 2 - 10 maybe 15 pins like it so some people treat first release like its special.

I know one time I came across a trader who had 2 of the same pins, however, 1 said first release and the other was the regular release. This person treated it like it had double value because of the first release on it because there were not nearly as many, kinda like an LE in a way.

So like the McRib, they may sell a million or they may sell 20 million in the time they limit its release, not its numbers......

Last edited:
I guess my grievance rests with a recent trade request in which I was told they would not trade any LE pins for OE pins (in this case it was the new Keep on Tradin' pins for a newer LE 1500). I guess I had never regarded these as OE pins as opposed to high LE pins. Dollar value (eBay version, lol) they were equal so I didn't feel it was an offensive request, but...

i guess it does depend on how each trader values his/her pins. I just traded one of the Keep on Tradin' pins (Mallie dragon, color version) for a DA LE500 Cheshire pin that I really wanted, we were mutually happy with the trade. That being said, I think that your trade request was totally fair. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back