• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Most popular Princesses through eBay sales!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most popular Princesses through eBay sales!

lordofanime

Active DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was online and I came across this article, which I think most of y'all will find interesting.
It's basically a lineup of the most popular Disney princesses through eBay sales!

Elsa - $3,397,816
Cinderella - $2,504,259
Snow White - $2,301,831
Anna -$2,165,120
Ariel - $1,483,384
Rapunzel - $598,056
Aurora - $215,856
Merida - $282,188
Jasmine - $253,102
Tiana- $84,882
Belle - $6,867

Source

I've got a final, so I won't be able to discuss this until Wednesday. So see you then!!

Got to say I'm surprised about Cinderella too, but I suppose that just because she's not super popular with pin traders she could be popular with little girls. I know my nice who will be 5 loves Jasmine. So one must consider other markets than our own.

Missing out Mulan and Pocahontas... tut tut

But this list doesn't really surprise me, I am shocked that Belle is so low though! I wonder if they made a mistake and it was meant to be $60k instead of $6k? :lol:

Thank you for sharing! :)

Surprisingly, Cinderella is the best selling princess not just on eBay, but in general other than Elsa of course. I think its because Cinderella is considered the "face" of the Disney princess line. She was Walt Disney's favorite princess after all. She isn't my favorite princess (that honor goes to Mulan), but it is my favorite animated Disney movie, so I am okay with this :).

i always thought ariel and rapunzel are more popular than cinderella? and i am too shocked that belle is so low! when i was a child, every one was in love with belle and ariel (i was an outsider with my love for jasmine, haha).

This is surprising! But cool! I never thought Snow White would be so high up! And I would have thought Ariel and Rapunzel would be higher than Cindy and Snow. But Cinderella is the face of the line and I know lots of people who love her. I don't really like belle and never really see much merchandise of her it seems adults love her though.

The figures are based on current sales, also it is not accurate at all as there are sooo many factors that they are using resulting in Elsa being on top and the results are definitely skewed. To be honest I don't even know how it is an actual article because the research is just appalling.

For starters as mentioned by fireheadfred this article is based on current and recent sales. Therefore of course else will be on top I mean she is the most popular princess right now and we all know that people are already buying Elsa merchandise at inflated prices due to Disney's inability to meet the demand.

Secondly timing was not taken into account. Obviously nowadays we have ebay and social media which makes selling items so much more easier also the article only looks at sales in the last year from May 2013 to April 2013 which of course will not show us popularity overall but popularity over the past year. Which again results in the the skewed results Elsa is a given and I would say Cinderella would be up there due to her being popular overall with the little girls hence (also she is the most well known princess amongst families that are not necessarily Disney fans but are just aware of the Disney Princesses due to their daughters and when they hear Disney Princess they immediately think Cinderella). Snow is an interesting one but I would say that it is skewed because of her LE doll price reaching some crazy heights also over the past year we actually had the D23 Snow as well so I wouldnt be surprised if that is what caused her increase.

The sales for Belle even looks wrong because there were a lot of Designer Fairytale Belle's that went on sale last year and it really looks like these were not even included? Because im pretty confident that the number of DFDC Belle's that sold made at least $5-6k which just doesnt match up with their figures.

That being said do we actually know what products they were basing this research on? It could just be based on dolls or toys? Or there is potential that there is so much other types of merchandise that was just omitted such as pins, dresses etc. Which again will skew the data.

Finally you have to take into account the authenticity of the merchandise, were some of these items that were sold fakes or just products that used the Disney character's faces without actual permission from Disney. These generally sell for a lot less but can sell in volumes which again can skew the results.

In my opinion I think this article is a result of someone that had a deadline to write an article but forgot about it so just did it the night before and jumped on ebay and did some very rushed research. I'm sorry to be blunt but this article really is very poorly written and researched and I am actually surprised that it was green lit to be posted as an actual article...

My philosophy is that there is a lot more Cinderella merchandise so that makes the sales amount higher. As
far as Belle goes, I agree, I think there is a mistake. :)

those are some crazy numbers but pretty surprising as well...my jaw dropped when I saw Elsa at the top and Belle all the way at the bottom..

You could also take into consideration that Disney does produce a lot more products relating to some of the more "classic" princesses. Cinderella is EVERYWHERE when you go to look at Disney items directed at girls. She's like the face of the Disney Princesses. It's no surprise she would be so high up. I too was surprised by how low Belle was on the list. I've always noticed that she seems to be a more popular princess, somewhere around the ranks of Ariel's popularity. I'd like to see a more in depth studies on this.

Ok, Polaris has an interesting post. Thank you for the research!
Seriously Polaris, are you a mod in the forum? Because you should be!

Anyways, Here's my take on this topic.
As Polaris have said, no body knows if the stuff bought is knock off or original, but I wouldn't think that it matters because people still bought the item because they were attracted to the character. So it would still count.

As for belle, my theory is that when the article was researched, they looked up "Belle" only, and not "Beauty and the Beast". I think that could have a major role. Also, there really isn't much merchandise for Belle, so most people wouldn't really have anything to buy.

Do sets count? If they sell a princesses item with one main princesses and a bunch of others, would that go towards every character or mostly the main one?
What about the Frozen sets? A lot of people will just type "Elsa set!!" even though Anna is on there too.

I think Disney might actually have a good research team looking into this.

Rapunzel being low isn't that surprising since there really hasn't been anything new with her, aside from the designer set.

Also, why is Aurora number 7 when both Merida and Jasmine sold more than her?

But this research is only a year old, and I'm 100% certain that Snow and Cinderella would be at the top, along with Ariel.

The figures are based on current sales, also it is not accurate at all as there are sooo many factors that they are using resulting in Elsa being on top and the results are definitely skewed. To be honest I don't even know how it is an actual article because the research is just appalling.

For starters as mentioned by fireheadfred this article is based on current and recent sales. Therefore of course else will be on top I mean she is the most popular princess right now and we all know that people are already buying Elsa merchandise at inflated prices due to Disney's inability to meet the demand.

Secondly timing was not taken into account. Obviously nowadays we have ebay and social media which makes selling items so much more easier also the article only looks at sales in the last year from May 2013 to April 2013 which of course will not show us popularity overall but popularity over the past year. Which again results in the the skewed results Elsa is a given and I would say Cinderella would be up there due to her being popular overall with the little girls hence (also she is the most well known princess amongst families that are not necessarily Disney fans but are just aware of the Disney Princesses due to their daughters and when they hear Disney Princess they immediately think Cinderella). Snow is an interesting one but I would say that it is skewed because of her LE doll price reaching some crazy heights also over the past year we actually had the D23 Snow as well so I wouldnt be surprised if that is what caused her increase.

The sales for Belle even looks wrong because there were a lot of Designer Fairytale Belle's that went on sale last year and it really looks like these were not even included? Because im pretty confident that the number of DFDC Belle's that sold made at least $5-6k which just doesnt match up with their figures.

That being said do we actually know what products they were basing this research on? It could just be based on dolls or toys? Or there is potential that there is so much other types of merchandise that was just omitted such as pins, dresses etc. Which again will skew the data.

Finally you have to take into account the authenticity of the merchandise, were some of these items that were sold fakes or just products that used the Disney character's faces without actual permission from Disney. These generally sell for a lot less but can sell in volumes which again can skew the results.

In my opinion I think this article is a result of someone that had a deadline to write an article but forgot about it so just did it the night before and jumped on ebay and did some very rushed research. I'm sorry to be blunt but this article really is very poorly written and researched and I am actually surprised that it was green lit to be posted as an actual article...
Thank you for your comments, I completely agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back