• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Now I remember why I left Pin trading....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I remember why I left Pin trading....
Reading these posts makes me sad. This isn't directed at anyone, just the state of society.

Sad because of the way people treat each other.
Sad because for some it is way more about the money than the fun.
Sad that we let this small percentage of people ruin it for the rest of us.
Sad because there isn't a realistic way to stop people from attending a free event to make it better.
Sad because this is why trading nights will go away. It isn't because they "cost money" or "because they don't make enough money," it is because of the complaints. I couldn't imagine being a new trader parent and taking your kids there while on vacation and coming away happy.

You all should put together your very own TPN (Thieves Pin Nite) so you can all just steal from each other - I wonder how many fakes would be at that event! :mad:

We'll send Father Dan to exorcise the demons*cough* I mean beat it outta them... Wait, that didn't sound much better...

As most know, I left pin trading for a couple of years & last night at the WDW Contemporary PTN was a grim reminder why I should of stayed gone.

I am an honest trader, the way I trade is differant to most traders & others never herd of but this is for another topic. Last night at the Contemporary nobody from this forum or a few others I am part of stopped to say Hi to me especially the ones I have already traded with. I knew alot of the traders last night as far back as Dizpins & even there old East meets west events. 2nd, i was given a scrapper pin in a trade from a "Pin Trader" that thought he was funny for doing so. Look I am not a proffesional, I do this for fun not profit & if your that hard up to screw over a fellow trader you need to get a job @ Disney (again another topic).

I did 2 trades with my biggest being after the event in the hall way, but for those who i knew were going to be there I bought $350 in the Mystery Stamp Collection, Big thank you to my wife for authorizing that purchase for me,lol... Hope you guys wernt looking for stamps cause i am sure you can do the math & figure how many stamps I now have & what you could of traded me for with a simple smile & hey your Grumpy74.

I hate the fact that the very Pin-Sharks, yes I said it! Pin-Sharks that got us kicked from DTD & other places, were at the pin event but I watched as they too screwed others out of trades & stole from fellow traders. 1 couple I will only identify here as the Jersy couple who used to slip a mng. or 2 @ DTD for bags of traders from Pin Traders was there stole a pin out of another traders book, when I told the trader he didn't seem to care & the couple well they will continue to steel from us at the next event.

See this is why I left, after being at the PTN I realized this, I was frustrated... Thank you fellow traders & thank you pin sharks for making me live up to my true name ("Grumpy"). I treat others as they treat me. :wavey:

Wow , sorry to hear you had such a bad night, I however had an awesome trading night, got some very rare 20000 leagues pins, a few Le 500 Snows, a Le 300 Chernabog from WDWjuan THANKS DUDE!!. Trade with a cast member with a lanyard Mrs Debbie<who is a lead for the ptns and is exceedingly nice!!> Had only one slightly aggitated trader whom couldnt make up their mind on a trade, I said hey its cool not a biggie....
Then the night ended with a super suprise,,,,,SCOOP himself, but not him, just the guy who plays scoop. Yep wearing shorts and glasses <modern ones> he was trading right along side of me, His voice of course gave him away to any of us lucky enough to have met or traded with him before knows his vocals are unique and unmistakeable. I watched him trade with someone I was dealing with and secretly couldnt wait to see his trader bag get opened,
yup it was a pin lovers wet dream... and like F. Gump , thats all Im gonna say about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry your night was so bad, But mine rocked out!!!! Yeah I got only ten pins, not one over an le 1000, some over 10 yrs old, and at least one grail type<le 600 completer > Guess it depends...............

I have seen this mess here at DLR too. I know two guys that have admitted to stealing lanyards off of kids and I have had pins stolen right out of my book, more than once. You just start to learn who it is that you need to avoid and who you can make friends with.

I have an idea. We might not be able to post a list of sharks, but we can start a list for each park of "Good Traders" by nomination of those we know and have traded with in person. There is no libel or slander involved, and I think it would be helpful. I for one would nominate for DLR:

Dan (DisneyDan)
Jessta
Nursek8
Tiggermickey
caligurlUCR
Imatronaholic
Hopemax
Tinkfan
(There are those I know by face too, but I am TERRIBLE with names)

We could spend all day complaining about the negative; why not do something to promote the positive?

Imatronaholic, come one Sunday and meet Dan and my wife and myself somewhere. We can take you on a tour and tell you who to avoid.

And Grumpy, you ever come out here to DLR, forget remembering to say hi. You can stay at my house.

Last edited:
I have seen this mess here at DLR too. I know two guys that have admitted to stealing lanyards off of kids and I have had pins stolen right out of my book, more than once. You just start to learn who it is that you need to avoid and who you can make friends with.

I have an idea. We might not be able to post a list of sharks, but we can start a list for each park of "Good Traders" by nomination of those we know and have traded with in person. There is no libel or slander involved, and I think it would be helpful. I for one would nominate for DLR:

Dan (DisneyDan)
Jessta
Nursek8
Tiggermickey
caligurlUCR
Imatronaholic
Hopemax
Tinkfan
(There are those I know by face too, but I am TERRIBLE with names)

We could spend all day complaining about the negative; why not do something to promote the positive?

Imatronaholic, come one Sunday and meet Dan and my wife and myself somewhere. We can take you on a tour and tell you who to avoid.

And Grumpy, you ever come out here to DLR, forget remembering to say hi. You can stay at my house.
lol...thank you

I don't actually know what anyone looks like, so I may have talked with some of you and not known it. Maybe we need a way of recognizing each other if we're serious about wanting to meet up. Making up DPF T-shirts might work at first, although evil traders could eventually figure that out and get around it. Maybe we could all wear some kind of secret symbol that people wouldn't know to look for. It could change with each meet. Like, at one event, we could all wear shirts that have the name of our favorite game show. Then, at the next meet, it could change to everyone wearing something with a ladybug somewhere.

Either that, or I need lucan444 to mentor me--sounds like he has it figured out completely.

Maybe the DLR tour guides could point out bad traders to their groups! :rofl And on a serious note, I have had WONDERFUL experiences with hearts48 and her husband. If everyone was like them, we wouldn't have bad traders/sharks.

Last edited:
I don't actually know what anyone looks like, so I may have talked with some of you and not known it. Maybe we need a way of recognizing each other if we're serious about wanting to meet up. Making up DPF T-shirts might work at first, although evil traders could eventually figure that out and get around it. Maybe we could all wear some kind of secret symbol that people wouldn't know to look for. It could change with each meet. Like, at one event, we could all wear shirts that have the name of our favorite game show. Then, at the next meet, it could change to everyone wearing something with a ladybug somewhere.

Either that, or I need lucan444 to mentor me--sounds like he has it figured out completely.

We actually do have something like that; look all the way at the top for a tab that says DPF Store. There is a plain white lanyard for sale there. I have one and I wear it to every pin event I go to and I have it out or wear it while trading in the park too. Those that recognize it either from having one or from the pic know what it is, and it is how I instantly recognize anyone from DPF. If you want a signifier like that, it is totally worth the 7-8$ and part of the money goes to keeping DPF alive.

Hello! I'm new on DPF. I just wanted to say to all of the newbies out there who are considering trying an event, you should definitely participate. I went alone to the WDW PTN last Friday and actually had a great time. I knew I needed to get my feet wet. I met a few nice pin traders who were willing to trade with me and give me some tips. I, of course, wish I had a group of people to meet up with but overall had a good experience on my own. I would even be willing to meet up with other newbies at the next event. Maybe some of the "pros" out there would be willing to adopt us for the night!

Katherine

Hello! I'm new on DPF. I just wanted to say to all of the newbies out there who are considering trying an event, you should definitely participate. I went alone to the WDW PTN last Friday and actually had a great time. I knew I needed to get my feet wet. I met a few nice pin traders who were willing to trade with me and give me some tips. I, of course, wish I had a group of people to meet up with but overall had a good experience on my own. I would even be willing to meet up with other newbies at the next event. Maybe some of the "pros" out there would be willing to adopt us for the night!

Katherine

:bigthumb:

My daughter and I went to DLR on a weekday, recently, and we went to the trade area just inside Frontierland - just to look - there were 5 or 6 people with multi-pin holders there.. I asked if any of them were from DPF - and I definitely got the evil eye - no one said 'yes'. hmmmmm

..okay, so there is apparently no shark list - it's a matter of libel.. okay..

I was in one of those pics too (white sweater black and white dress with my daughter nearby in a yellow shirt) and by no means a pin shark, I had a great time and met some wonderful people. I was just waiting in line for a table and eavesdropping on an interesting conversation between a professor who loves Si and Am and a Vinylmation trader. Too bad I wasn't on DPF when I went but it was my first night back after a 5 year pin break or I'm sure I would have had fun meeting fellow DPFrs. I look forward to trading with y'all! Hugs, Cindi

Ive never been to a wdw PTN but I have been to a DLP one and it put me off pins for a long time, I left feeling so bad that even the look of pins made me feel horrible. Traders just looked down their nose at me, 90% wouldn't trade at all and were just rude and I really felt like the scum of the earth. All the traders knew each other and were more interested in trading with each other and sneekily trying to sell pins (against the rules as we all know) to people deperate to pay the high prices. It ws one of the worst experiences ever, i just wanted to cry - sad I know. I even wasted my last few hours in the parks to go to it! stupid me!

Aveen, that is horrible. No one should have to experience that when they are going somewhere to enjoy themselves. You should find a group or start your own or something so you have a crew to roll in there with next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back