• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

So run down WDW pin trading one more time, please....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So run down WDW pin trading one more time, please....

curiousdinah

Super Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Ok, so I realize this has probably been asked countless times before, but.......

My sister and I are going back to WDW, which I never thought would happen (and thus should have paid closer attention to other threads). I was a new pin collector during our last visit, so let me ask some variations, or repeats, of pin collecting questions:

For trading, what places should I check for pins/where is the place to find cast members with good pins - meaning:
1. I saw the thread on here about places where there are pin boards throughout the parks and resort - anyone found any other places ? The thread was several years old, so I wonder what else may have popped up.
2. Also, I have read stories of people finding LEs on cast members pins - where are such cast members as last time I was there it was scrappers everywhere !
3. I have heard tales of Scoop on mainstreet - any idea what times he is usually around and how long is he out for ?
4. Does anyone actually trade at the Epcot tables anymore ? I am trying to decide if its worth packing or lugging around my trading book ? (FYI we will be there mid week - no weekends.)
5. Is King Pin still around and does he come out daily at 3 still ?
6. Can you still only trade vinlymation pins for vinlymation pins or can I swap vinlymation pins for any pin ?

Any help would be appreciated.

I can't answer all of these, but I'll answer what I can.
1.) I know at Epcot there's a pin board in the America pavilion (it's where a cast member sits outside the gift shop where kids can get Duffy and Perry figures on a stick, that they can color in, and there's also one at the main pin trading spot (right behind Spaceship Earth). As for the resorts, the gift shops tend to have them, but when I last stayed at Port Orleans, they also had one where the bicycle rentals are. I'm sure other folks can chime in to inform you of other places.
2.) I can't pinpoint any specific cast members that may or may not have LE's, but I did manage to get a 2004 Annual Passholder Magic Kingdom pin (LE 7000) from a cast member in Epcot last week, where the pin cart is between Canada and the UK. *But*, I saw another guest trade it to the cast member, and I traded her for it before she even got it on her lanyard (it was just a matter of right time/right place, luck of the draw kind of thing.)
3.) I still haven't met Scoop yet, but I've been told he's at MK Sunday through either Tuesday or Wednesday, and from my understanding, he's only there until around 1pm.
4.) Yes, folks still set up at Epcot. I see people at the tables every time I go, though there are only 2 tables now, and sometimes there may only be one person trading. I know one guy that I traded with this past Wednesday afternoon said that he's there every Wednesday. He had some nice LE's as well as more standard fare (hidden mickeys and such). I actually traded him a Mechanical Kingdom Goofy (6 of 6 in the Surprise Release pin set) for a Jack Skellington Poster Pin with easel (2013) still in its box.
5.) Sorry, I literally have no idea who King Pin is (I'm new to pin trading and collecting, having only started back during Star Wars Weekends this year.)
6.) AFAIK, you can trade any pin (with a CM) for any pin on their lanyard, but I haven't collected or traded for any vinylmation pins, so I could be wrong on this.

Hope this info is at least somewhat helpful, and that someone else more knowledgeable can chime in to fill in what I don't know, and to correct me anywhere I may be wrong.

Good luck, have fun, and happy trading! :)
-George

We stayed at AKL a couple weeks ago - King Pin comes out Weekdays at 3pm in the gift shop in Jambo house - ask a cast member where to line up. Good place to meet lots of people who want to trade, did a bunch of trading while waiting for him to come out.

Anywhere you go, ask if they have a pin board! Front desks, gift shops, and guest services all usually have pin boards. Some restaurants bring out pin boards at random times. You can trade any pin for any pin. It doesn't matter if one is a vinylmation or not.

Bump. Got some good leads and another thread answered by scoop question. But if anyone knows where I can find good pin boards let me know!

First and most important is: don't be intimidated. There's no super secret to pin trading at WDW. Keep it relaxed and fun; if you miss a pin board somewhere, don't worry much about it.

1. There are pin boards all over the place. Just ask and CMs will direct you to them. Some of them only come out during certain times of the day. If it's not the scheduled time, say thank you and come back later.

2. Really, unless it's Scoop, the only time you're going to find LEs on a CM lanyard is if a guest traded one to them in the last 10 minutes. Most of what you'll see on the lanyards is scrap, unfortunately.

3. I've never met Scoop myself. Last time I was at WDW, I went to MK relying on the schedule I'd heard about on the forums. Turns out, he wasn't working that day. I don't think Scoop has a set schedule. He works when he works, and you just have to ask around and be lucky on the day you visit MK. That's just my opinion.

4. There have always been plenty of people trading at the Epcot tables when I've been there. Do yourself a favour and watch how those at the tables interact with other guests first before you approach them. You can usually tell if they are there for the fun of trading, or if they're there to "trade up" and make money by how they treat other guests who look at their pins. Avoid the people who are rude or pushy, or like to tell guests exactly how "valuable" their pins are.

5. I don't know who King Pin is.

6. As far as I know, if it has pin posts on the back, it's a pin, whether it's Vinylmation or not. I've never had a problem trading Vinylmation pins to CMs for non-Vinylmation pins in return. I don't know whether this is against the trading etiquette, but if it is, this is the first I've heard of it. Just don't try trading the actual Vinylmation toys for pins :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back