• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Total Brit newbie, help needed please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total Brit newbie, help needed please.

Kazza362

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Wanted to say hello & hope some of you nice people can help a bemused old lady. Only learnt about DTP yesterday, I love pins & never thought of collecting previously. We are due to visit WDW in May & was looking for something to keep my 10yr old grandson interested whilst in the line-ups. Came across DTP and thought this might appeal. ( I know it does to his Granny :) ) I have never done this before so can anyone explain to me, in terms a simple, old Brit can understand, as i know there is an etiquette follow. Any help would be most appreciated.

Welcome to the pinsanity. :)

The best advice is to understand that there are a lot of fake pins on the cast lanyards you're trading to and from. Not every pin is authentic. Unfortunately, too many people buy cheap lots of fake pins on ebay and then trade them onto the lanyards, continue to circulate the bad ones.

Actually collecting real pins is an expensive hobby, and when you buy authentic pins at the park for trade at the park (buying pins anywhere except directly from Disney leads to a likelihood of buying fake merchandise), you may wind up throwing away good pins for bad.

My best advice to you is to periodically (maybe once each day of your trip) buy a special pin at the park to add to a lanyard you buy for him. So he starts with zero and at the end of the trip winds up with a lanyard full of special hand-picked memories.

While trading off the lanyards at the parks is certainly a fun exercise, finding you've wasted money and wound up with nothing but fake pins is not.

There are other ways to entertain a young one at the park - such as buy a book about the hidden mickeys placed around the park and hunt for them. Or play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom with the free cards provided. :)

Welcome to the forum! :) To pass the time at the park's my family and I like to go around all the different pressed Penny/Quarter machines and collect all of them it's a fun and inexpensive way to leave with a souvenir of your own. I attached the link to the Disney Parks Merchandise for the Coin Press locations and the background about them. You can also Google WDW Pressed coin locations and other websites will tell you were there located.
http://www.disneyparksmerchandise.com/parksauthentic/coin-press-souvenirs/

Last edited:
Welcome! When I first started pin trading, I found it helpful to read some of the pinned posts in the Pin Discussion module. Also, when you are at the parks, don't be afraid to ask other park goers (not just cast members) if they would like to trade... it's a lot of fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back