• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

GUIDE Traders VS Keepers in your book

It seems a lot of people feel the same way I do about this subject. Many people who trade at the park will have their "Trading Book" out for everyone to view and then when you say you would like to trade for a certain pin, they say "Oh! I am not trading that pin" or "That's one of my keepers"

First lets talk "Keepers" I have a lanyard I wear when I trade that has what I refer to as my keepers, however, as I explained to my children, keeper is a relative term. Sure they are all really nice and hard to get pins but if someone had a pin I really wanted, I would certainly trade it, especially if it was like some people say, their HOLY GRAIL.

As for my trading books, That's what they are, trading books. Everything in them is for trade. Sure, I want it to be a fair trade and may not accept a certain offer but they are all for trade. Do some people just need to show off their NON tradeable pins? Personally, my TRUE KEEPERS are at home on my boards.

I guess some people need to show off their cool pins but when you specifically ask them "Are these your traders" and they say yes, and then you go through their entire book and pick a pin but it just happens to be a pin they don't want to trade. But they did say they were all traders.

I may be venting here and everyone is entitled to trade pins the way they want. Certainly there are certain pins I am hoping to trade for but when people want to trade with me, I always try to trade with them. If they don't have a pin I need, I try to get a pin that has a good trading value or at least trade up.

I mean, if these are the pins you are trading, what real difference does it make if you don't get a particular pin you need but get a pin that has a far better trading value than the one you traded.

An example is, when I trade for my kids to get a certain pin, I will trade crazy, meaning I will give way more value for the pin I am trading because I want to make my kids happy and surprise them with a pin they want. There was someone at the park who had their trade book out and the pin had approx. a $40.00 value as far as trade goes.
I offered over $100.00 in pins and they still would not accept. OK, maybe they are the ones really losing out but even if it was a rack pin but my kids want it, I will trade whatever I need to in order to get it. I do know the value of pins but if you have kids, maybe you can relate to what I mean by overtrading for them.

I just wish that people were more flexible. I have seen far too many people at the park where when someone looks at their pins, the first thing they say is you don't have anything I need, but you can buy me this pin inside. And usually it is not a fair trade for the person trading and it ruins it for other fair traders. Have any of you had this experience. What do you think?

For those of you who know me, I am the easiest person to trade with. Remember, Its called PIN TRADING and too many people get hung up on certain pins. I enjoy helping people complete set and when someone really wants a pin, I try to make it happen for them. I am honest with people and even if they dont have a pin I feel is a fair trade but know they really want the pin, I will tell them that maybe if they gave me 2 particular pins for the one they want, and I will even tell them I am making out more on the deal but if you really want it, I'll trade and then it is up to them.

I mean seriously, even if I did not have a PIN YOU NEEDED but was willing to trade 2 DSF pins for a BLUE DLR LE ($9.95), so that 2 LE300 DSF pins for 1 DLR LE1000 pin, would you trade? (And they are desirable pins like Jack, Stitch, Alice, etc...) Maybe I am crazy and just don't know it but if I was willing to give you a one hundred dollar bill for a fifty, would you not take it?

Leave your NON tradeable pins at home and if you have a trade book, trade them. Its one thing not to accept an offer but to not even be willing to trade it and say its not for trade, why is it in your book!?

Thoughts......................

PS and if you do know me, you know I am never at a loss for words....lol
If you dont, NOW YOU KNOW!

GUIDE Traders VS Keepers in your book
Ive never been to a park (well January will change that lol) but I will only be having my Trader pins on my lanyard as well as in my only pin bag as I wouldnt put my keeper pins on there as I wouldnt want anyone to get funny with me by saying thats a keeper.

As the way I see it, the Lanyard is for having your trader pins on for people to see and keepers should be kept off it as you can get someones hopes up for them to be turned down.

This was pretty much how I feel, traders on the lanyard, favorites at home. But maybe some people wanna show off their preciouses. :)

I have just started trading a few months ago and I have one book for everything simply because I haven't finished a collection yet to leave it at home. At the same time I don't really want to shell out another $30 on a book for keepers to sit at home. Sometimes keepers will become traders if the right pin is offered. It all depends that's why I bring everything. If the keeper is something I can easily get again, I don't mind trading it. People have their own opinions and trade values. It all depends the person. I'll personally tell other traders that only the first few pages of so are for trade and that's how I differentiate traders vs keepers in my book.

Back