• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What exactly does "limited release" mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly does "limited release" mean

OpieDoodle

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Forgive me as I am super new to pin collecting/trading and I'm still trying to understand the lingo. I understand that Limited Edition means XXX amount are made and that's it, when they're gone they are gone. But what is the difference in Limited Release?

I saw the new Coco mystery pins were released today and I am hoping they will still be available when I go to WDW in three weeks.

Limited Release just means that the pins will only be released for a certain amount of time. There are technically no hard edition sizes to these pins, but they are produced in slightly more limited numbers because they won't return.

Here's a link to an old thread where we talked about it. LR pin question

And quoting my reply

The answer is "it depends."
For individual items, Merlin's answer is probably correct. In the past they used just make LE10,000 pins and people would buy them. Nowadays, people are okay with buying OE items, or okay with buying LE500 or less, but if they see LE10,000 it's a turn off. Calling it LR puts it into a middle ground. But they are in reality, really highly produced.

Mystery Box Sets. This is where it gets complicated. The earliest LR mystery box sets came out at the end of 2010. While there was no announced number of boxes, you could guesstimate based on how fast things sold out that there were probably somewhere from 3000-5000 boxes. So take a set with 16 or 20 pins in it. At 4000 boxes, 2 pins per box = 8000 pins divided by 20 styles that means there are only 400 pins of any specific style. Isn't a LE400 pin usually worth something? The quintessential series to use as an example is the Disney Girls Reveal / Conceal set.

Or take the pins coming out for the Epcot Pin Event. There are usually about 1200 attendees, and we were restricted to only being able to select 7 boxes. They would not assume every attendee would want 7 boxes, but lets start there. That would be 8400 boxes. There are 16 pins in the series. We know 8 of them will be LE250. So 8400 boxes = 16,800 pins. 8 x 250 = 2000 LE250 pins. So that means for the remaining 8 pins the number sold would be LE1850. If there only 6000 boxes, and the same 2000 LE250 pins then each of the remaining 8 pins would be LE1250.

Then there are other Mystery boxes that are sold marked as "Limited Release" but sold for years. Namely, the Beauty & the Beast set that came out when New Fantasyland opened. Those are a lot closer to open edition, than they are limited edition.

IMO, LR Mystery Box Pins that are released only once, are a lot more limited than people give them credit for, especially for the 20 pin sets. Most of these are Reveal/Conceal collections or Seasonal mystery collections.

So for the Coco set, it all depends on how long it is stocked. If they go through their initial order and it's not restocked, then these will be defacto LE pins but with an unmarked edition size but are probably medium to low LE (500-1500). If they are available for the rest of the year, and into next year then they are more like an open edition or really high LE.

Is there an average time these are available? I'm going down next month for the not so scary Halloween party and I was hoping to grab a couple while I'm down there! :)

edited: sorry I just saw your reply.

So the release time really depends on the individual set then. That makes sense. Eventually does it come out with how many were made or is it that we really will never know? So say I get some will I know if its one of those that's a lower LE or more like OE?

Can limited release also mean they're only sold in one specific place? Like the movie club pins or the cruise exclusive pins? Or do those get called something else?

Is there an average time these are available? I'm going down next month for the not so scary Halloween party and I was hoping to grab a couple while I'm down there! :)

This one is tricky because of all the event people. Things will sell a lot faster than normal because there are people from all over the country, and mystery sets can be popular traders if you are light on traders. @PinFanatic mentioned only having a limited number of boxes today and there will be more released later. If they come out after all the pin people leave, then it's possible they will stick around. Certainly if these are intended to join the assortment of mystery boxes that are currently in rotation. Given there are no LE chasers, I think this is the case.

@MerlinEmrys offers almost at cost pickups so if you don't want to risk missing out you can check out his monthly pickup thread For Sale: - WDW August + MNSSHP + OEs Pickups At-Cost! (Flyer Pins Announced!)

Can limited release also mean they're only sold in one specific place? Like the movie club pins or the cruise exclusive pins? Or do those get called something else?
That can be the case, such as the Film Boxes or the State pins, which only get sold at one or two stores at a time. But so far I've seen Coco at both places in Animal Kingdom and we know it will be at the Coronado as well. So probably they will pop up in the standard places.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Okay good to know, I have someone picking some up for me already just in case but I would love to complete the set and I know I didn't get THAT many haha! I may take my chances and also look into trading in the park for some when I get there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back