• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Why/how did you start pin collecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why/how did you start pin collecting?
I've been collecting since 2012. I wanted everything related to Brave. I just love the movie. However, I really don't like most of the Brave pins so I actually don't collect brave anymore. My collection has changed a million times throughout the past 4 years but I've settled on collecting Walt Disney, Walt Disney World, and Mickey head/icon pins. I have some misc pins I still love and have a side collection of the fab 5 & princesses but I really love Walt Disney World and anything related to Disney history. I feel like the pins tell a pretty good story of Disney history and are easy to display. They are little pieces of art.

What a fun thread idea, I've really enjoyed reading everyone's stories so far.

Prepare yourselves for the most basic, average story. I was reading through blogs/forums gearing up for my WDW vacation last month in September. Somewhere (couldn't tell you where) the commenters/bloggers were gushing about how much fun pin trading was. I knew Pins existed but I had no idea it was this big of a deal. Darn shame I've been missing out on this awesome vice for this long! I think I have to make up for lost time... :p

I discovered pin trading in 2006 AFTER going to HKDL when I lived in China. At the airport, there was a Disneyland store, and next to a rack of pins was a poster about pin trading. I had noticed the CMs were wearing lanyards, so I bought a couple of pins and traded for some I liked. Then on the back of one of the pins was written Cast Lanyard series. So then I bought more pins and traded for the pins I figured was in the same series. I got so hooked that I went back to HKDL the next month and got to trade in the parks with CMs. I actually didn't know about Pinpics and the online pin trading community until a couple of years later when a CM at DLP told me about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the Parks (Disneyland/DCA) about five ago with my friends Emily and Daphne and noticed some girls trading with cast members. My friends thought it looked like the dorkiest thing ever/ I thought it looked like the most awesome thing ever. I went straight home and bought a lot on eBay (this was before I knew about scrappers, mind you), and started planning a return trip for my birthday. On my birthday, I managed to trade for a few of my favorite characters (Chip, Dale, and Figaro!) and bought a few others in the pin shop. And that was it for me. After that, I started trading online, meeting new people and finding new pins - I fell in love with the hobby and never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back