• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Working on DPP trade comparison feature.... need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on DPP trade comparison feature.... need some advice.

ethanwa

New DPF Member
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
EDIT:

The following features are now LIVE on the site

*** Pin specific comparing (access on a specific pin)
- Who has this and can trade with me?
- Who wants this so I can trade it and get something I need?

*** User to user comparing like the old PinPics with owns, wants, and trades (access on the main page under the import link)

Last edited:
Option #1 sounds best.

We have our list of traders. We click one. Up pops the information page. Somewhere on the page is a button that says, "What can I get for this pin?" We Click it. Through the use of magic and tiny rodents, a list of pins is developed, based on other people's trades and our wants. We can highlight the pins we would be willing to trade for. Either the system sends a message to the owner of the potential trade offering the trade, or give us the contact information of the potential trader.

I hope this made sense and helps.

Of those two, option 1, yes. But in both directions. Sometimes I want to look at a trader of mine and ask, "what can I get for this?" And sometimes I want to look at a pin I want, and ask, "What could I trade for this?" And yeah, that one should only look at traders; otherwise you're proposing trades to someone out of their collection, and there's no way for you to know you're not.

I would ALSO like a user-to-user comparison the way the old pinpics has it: you can choose to compare any one of the three of yours (owns, trades, wants) to any one of the three of theirs.

That is, sometimes I can say "what does ethanwa have in his traders that I want?" and sometimes I can say "what do I have in my traders that ethanwa wants?" and if you have something I REALLY want, that I might be willing to pull from my collection for, I can say "what do I have in my owns that ethanwa wants?"
And if I want to zap someone, I can compare owns to owns and say "what do I have that they have too" so that I don't send them something they already have.

Option #1 - I think that's more clear-cut

and just "traders" for comparison, not all pins. I know some people don't mind trading out of their collection if the "deal is right" but I think that'll make it harder to deal with (for the website). Sometimes people have duplicates (like 1 for their collection and 1 to trade) so that'll be more confusing too (cuz sometimes we don't remember if we already traded the extra away or if that's from our collection).

When I think comparison, I think more the user to user comparison...

For example:

Comparing

(Insert User Name Here) --- Select One of Owns/Trades/Wants

to

(Insert User Name Here) --- Select one of owns/Trades/Wants.

I can match my wants list to what you are trading, and that lets me know what you have available that I want, and vice versa...

Would it be possible to limit the searches? I mean if I want to look at only someone's le traders and not ALL of his/her traders.

When I think comparison, I think more the user to user comparison...

For example:

Comparing

(Insert User Name Here) --- Select One of Owns/Trades/Wants

to

(Insert User Name Here) --- Select one of owns/Trades/Wants.

I can match my wants list to what you are trading, and that lets me know what you have available that I want, and vice versa...

+1

Actually I like the idea of having links to a specific pin (I want to get/trade pin XXX. What can I trade/get to do this?) and having links to a specific person (comparing my own/want/trade to the own/want/trade list of person XXX).

I know this is a lot of work, but it is really appreciated by everyone here on this site!! Keep up the good work!

DPP has to decide how much it wants to facilitate trades. So Ethan, you have to decide that first.

I think mostly what we need is for the links here, like we used to have for Pinpics need to be able to work again. And I would like the username to username features from the old Pinpics My Pinpics page. Where I could enter a username, and mine and search for matches between any combination of owns, wants, trades. I want to be able to do owns to owns, owns to wants, etc because I often compare my lists to my Dad's lists. And the previously mentioned comparing to not duplicate a pin someone already owns as a zap, if I don't have any of their wants. And I had set up a secondary account to store my massive wants list of 9000 pins to my primary account. Periodically, I would go through and compare owns from the primary account, to wants from the secondary and then delete them from the secondary. It was the fastest way to do it.

I don't necessarily need the "what can I trade to get this pin" or "what can I get for trading this pin" links on each pin page. And I certainly don't need option 2. Even option 1 may be more than DPP is wanting to get involved in. Username to username means that traders have had to make contact already, and shared usernames, either through DPF, Facebook, in person, etc. Option 1 allows for complete stranger to complete stranger trading. People can probably complete more trades, but that also increases the possibility of "trades gone wrong" and then expecting DPP to do something about it, because that's where they found the person.

For clarity...

Here is what I am working on

*** Pin specific comparing (DONE... go to any pin and try it out now!)

*** User to user comparing like the old PinPics (owns, wants, and trades) (DONE... go to the main page and try it out now!)

Here is what I am not planning on doing today

*** Trade assistant

Let me know if anyone needs clarity. All pin comparing will be DONE AND LIVE TONIGHT!

Ethan

Last edited:
For clarity...

*** User to user comparing like the old PinPics (owns, wants, and trades) (working on NOW)

*** Trade assistant

Let me know if anyone needs clarity. All pin comparing will be DONE AND LIVE TONIGHT!

Ethan

Sweet!!!! This gives us everything the old pinpics did and makes them irrelevant.

For clarity...

*** User to user comparing like the old PinPics (owns, wants, and trades) (working on NOW)

*** Trade assistant

Ethan

You are AMAZING! Let me throw more money at you.

Yeah comparing my wants or trades with a specific other trader is my favorite way to work. It can be really useful when one person has hundreds, if not thousands, of traders. Sounds like you are working on that now.

DONE! Try it now on the main page under the import link

*** User to user comparing like the old PinPics (owns, wants, and trades)

Last edited:
For clarity...

Ethan

This is fantastic! Great work!

Is there a way that we will be able to search for a specific member? I know we can go to a pin they want/trade and can find them there, but is there an easier way?

No, I just mean in general. You know how pinpics has a page where you can type in a member's name into different boxes that say: OWNS, WANTS, or TRADES ?

That's what I mean. To be able to search for a member someone is looking specifically by typing it into a box.

You can do it by just changing the link address. Go look at your collection, and then look at the URL, you can see which part to change. With the link so straightforward to modify, it seems like it is just as fast to do it that way, than to type something in a box and clicking go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back