• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Would you be OK with a scrapper in your "keep" collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you be OK with a scrapper in your "keep" collection?
I have a few scrappers and fantasy pins in my collection. When I trade for a pin I thought was real and it was for my collection I put it on my cork board upside down as a place holder until I get the real one. When and if I do get the real one I turn that one into a magnet, use it as a thumbtack, pushpin etc.

I try not to worry too much about it. I bought the whole set of Princess Gem Hidden Mickeys and a Christmas set of Hidden Mickeys off ebay and they look good to me, so whatever. I'm moving more into a collecting phase rather than trading so if I was getting pins with the intention of trading I might be a little more vigilant.

I have one fake pin that I know about, and although I certainly don't count it in my collection, I don't feel any particular venom towards it as it was only 99p anyway XD. I think it's currently on my noticeboard holding up my ticket from when I saw Tangled on the day it came out.

I don't mind having scrappers in my collection at all, as long as I haven't traded for it off another pin trader, or paid a lot of money for it. If I have just traded it off a lanyard, then what's the problem? When it comes to CM lanyards, I only trade for pins that I like. :p The way I see it, I'm doing everyone a favor by keeping a scrapper that I've traded off a lanyard. There's probably people out there who would just trade it straight back, although I'm sure that's not something that anyone's going to admit to doing.

I admit, I am shocked that many people are ok with having scrappers in their collections! With all the fuss about them I would think there would be a ton of people on this thread saying no way! I just could not enjoy my boards if I looked at them and saw scrapper pins on them no matter how nicely made they might have been. They would be trashed very very fast! :(

Let me clarify in my case.....I fuss about tradeing a scrapper. I won't trade one away knowingly, nor will I accept one, knowingly. If I get one traded to me and it's good enough quality for me to miss the fact its scrap, I keep it. I don't own 1000's of pins. I own about 200-300 (at most). I know what ones in my collection are questionable and keep an eye out for the real deal to replace it. When I do replace it... I will not put the scrapper back into circulation, unlike many traders I know. Hense the thread I posted a week or 2 ago asking what people do with scrap.

I collect because I like the art work, and the "oh shiney" factor. I am as likey to put an open rack pin in my private collection as I am an LE100 DA. It's a question of asthetics, not how rare or expensive it is.

Let me clarify in my case.....I fuss about tradeing a scrapper. I won't trade one away knowingly, nor will I accept one, knowingly. If I get one traded to me and it's good enough quality for me to miss the fact its scrap, I keep it. I don't own 1000's of pins. I own about 200-300 (at most). I know what ones in my collection are questionable and keep an eye out for the real deal to replace it. When I do replace it... I will not put the scrapper back into circulation, unlike many traders I know. Hense the thread I posted a week or 2 ago asking what people do with scrap.

I collect because I like the art work, and the "oh shiney" factor. I am as likey to put an open rack pin in my private collection as I am an LE100 DA. It's a question of asthetics, not how rare or expensive it is.
:bigthumb: Totally agree.

My resolve on this very question is being tested tonight. I finally got around to something I've been meaning to do, going through all the pins I got from cast lanyards and the small lot on ebay, armed with my new knowledge from DPF... and lo and behold, a LOT of them are scrappers. There are still a few I'm keeping for the sentimental value, but some others I'm not sure if I want to keep now that I know. :( For now I'm keeping most of them, but putting them back into my wants list to remind me that I'm on the lookout for the real thing.

Sadly the majority of the scrappers were ones I had listed for trade, which of course I removed, so now my already small traders list is considerably smaller. (Luckily none of the pins I bid in the auction I won or in my one pending trade appear to be scrappers. Dodged that bullet at least!)

The really frustrating thing is that for every indicator in the guidelines in the sticky threads here (which have been very helpful), I have at least one exception. I have pins I bought in the Disney Stores at WDW and DLR (so I know they're real) with no nubs, or where the waffle print is REALLY faint, or where there's a slight border in the waffle print... *tears hair* Gods help me if I ever want to trade one of those; I didn't save the cards.

What I don't get is why! I get why they counterfeit Hidden Mickeys... but why would anyone go to the trouble of counterfeiting, say, cheap starter sets that hardly anyone wants? I have a number of those that I didn't think to check before because I simply didn't think anyone would bother.

I had so much fun trading pins with cast members in the parks, and now it looks like I'll need to be examining every pin closely before I make a trade. :( *shakes fist*

If a scrapper came into my possession and it was something I really liked, I probably wouldn't mind it being in my collection. Who knows I could get the real one in the future! But I'm not going to trade a scrapper to someone, and I like it so whats the harm of keeping it :)

I've only just recently become aware of scrappers (AFTER my last trip to DL, where I did some trading, of course) and had to go back over the ones I didn't buy at a park or store. Thankfully I dodged the bullet so far. Unfortunately I still have to resort to Ebay for a lot of my collection because I just don't have the volume necessary to trade for what I want (seriously, I have, like, 6 traders and a collection of 13). Now I am going to scrutinize every one that comes in and won't settle for a scrapper if I can detect it.

I hear what the person was saying above about buying flawed pins. I didn't look closely enough when I bought my 50th anniversary pin at Disneyland in 2005, and it has a bit of a paint smear across the numbers. That's fine for me since it's in my "memento collection" and won't be traded off, but jeez (my mementos are the souvenirs of events, tours, places, etc... my gratuitous collection is of pins based on Jules Verne attractions and films, but only the ones with Disney characters on them). This site has helped me become more aware of the quality of the ones I plan to buy in the shoppes too.

Hey NChouser, I meant to ask you this about your original post, but forgot. Are you certain that Dale pin actually *is* a scrapper?

I ask because I actually bought that starter set earlier this year (though I've traded them all away now), and the colors in the packaged ones aren't all the same as the Pinpics photos. If you look at the Pinpics page for the Minnie from that same set ([pinpics]55783[/pinpics]), you'll see a commenter mentioning that the color palette on the one they bought are noticeably darker. Minnie's jacket is brown and her boots are grey, etc.

So unless you have another reason to think it's a scrapper, like rough edges or dips in the paint or other flaws, it might actually be a real one.

absolutely fine with me. its mine and not to be traded, just because disney didnt get a cut means nothing to me. Of course i dont own any scrappers so i cant be 100% sure i wouldnt care
Happy trades
Kirk

I would not be ok with scrappers that I purchased and paid what I thought the original was worth! I would be disappointed with a scrapper I traded off a cast lanyard or the boards. But if I liked it, I'd probably keep it in the collection. I'd never knowingly sell or trade one, so keeping it beats throwing it in the trash.

The only reason why there are scrappers in my collection is because for me collecting pins is sometimes not about the pin itself, but the adventure that I went on to get it. Though I'm at Disney World most of the time, I've actually probably gotten most of my scrappers while at Disneyland, but that is where I got married and spent my honeymoon, so the pins that I collected on that trip (cast lanyard hidden mickeys) are extremely special to me and I wouldn't get rid of them for the world. So anytime that I discover that I have gotten a scrapper, I just mark the back of it so I'll remember that it's a scrapper and I move on. I collect pins because I'm a Disney Nerd and I enjoy the adventure of finding that perfect treasure that comes with a Mickey pin back. So I guess I fall into the "I'm Okay" with scrappers in my collection category.

Last edited:
Oh! Marking the back is a great idea! I have a few scrappers I'm keeping similarly because of the memories and the adventure. Marking them is a great way to make sure I never forget and trade them to someone by mistake. Thanks for the tip!

There are few pins that get through QC with some paint dips, chips, and some rough edges that still get released for sale. Recently I've gotten a few bad paint jobs but the pins were recently released and I have not heard of a "fake" warning for these pins. I just figure I got one that QC let go by or was not part of the sample set they inspected.

I'm fine with scrappers in my collection since it's still a real Disney produced pin. Fakes on the other hand, I'm not happy about and my first pins were poorly made and I got rid of them.

When I find out one of my HM pins are scrappers I will keep it until I can replace it. Right now I know that 5 or 6 of my alphabet pins from DLR are scrappers but I will keep them until I get the real ones. I like seeing the full set there verses one with holes reminding me I am missing them. I do not plan to sell them so it really doesn't matter. I know the earlier years of HM pins I have are all real so I decided to sell the first and second year of WDW HM off as I am a DLR person. I am still keeping all the DLR ones from the very first year to present I have all but about 7 from last year and the new ones of course. It just gives me something to look for when I am at the park. I enjoy taking the time to look at the lanyards and talking to the people. I just love to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back