• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Dolls Appreciation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney Dolls Appreciation Discussion
Fabulous collection and display, Polaris! I totally need to find a good way of displaying all of my stuff. Space is so limited, not that it stops me from buying all of these lovely items! I am now reaching the point where things do have to be stashed away for lack of display space.

Thanks Shiva, I know what you mean, I am almost reaching the maximum space in that room haha. I may have to move the other things in that room out and make that a dedicated Disney room to fit in any future dolls haha.

DS Disney Fairies Doll Set by Shivatopia, on Flickr

It's retro-review time! :) I was photographing some new items I received from the Disney Store yesterday, and it suddenly dawned on me to finally photograph this Disney Fairies doll set that I bought several years ago from DS.com that has been at my house this whole time, but I never got around to photographing or reviewing it. This particular set was one of the first DS doll purchases I made after many years of not buying anything from the Disney Store (most of the first decade of the 2000s was a Disney blank period for me, until I made a long-overdue return visit to Disneyland in 2007 and then again in 2010. The release of Tangled also rapidly drew me back into the Disney merchandise fold.). Still, I had been keeping up with the new Tinker Bell films that were being released, and when I saw the individual dolls from this set at my local store, I knew that I wanted them. The doll set appeared online and at a much more affordable price than trying to buy the dolls individually. It is a rare series where I actually like all of the featured characters, but with the Disney Fairies franchise, I actually do like them all. :)

These dolls measure about 5" tall, which is the actual size that the fairies are supposed to be, which made them all the more appealing to me. As mini-dolls, the level of detail has been compromised some, but overall, each character still maintains her own spirit and personality.

Our lead fairy, Tinker Bell, is a cute rendering of her character. Her outfit is a very simplified version of her short green leaf dress, and there is an ample amount of glitter on the fabric. Her hair is a bit messy in the front, but again, in mini-doll scale, it's hard to get short hair/bangs to really look very good. I do think that her lipstick color is quite dark for Tinker Bell, but maybe she just wanted to look a bit more glam! :p

Animal-talent fairy Fawn is probably my least favorite doll from the set (though not my least favorite Disney Fairy-I don't have one of those), because her head looks massive compared to all of the other dolls. I have no idea what happened in product development, but her head and face are just so much bigger. Also, her neck looks shorter because her head is bigger. Like Tinker Bell, her bangs are quite wild, but they did put her hair in a braid. Again, with the small doll scale, her braid appears a lot thicker than it ought to be (if you reference the movies, her braid is a thinner, whip-like plait), but what can you do? Her outfit is cute, accurate for Fawn, and glitter-free.

When the first Tinker Bell movie was released, Water-talent fairy Silvermist was my favorite. There was something so calm about her, plus she is voiced by Lucy Liu, and I love the element of water. Her doll is cute, but because she seems to share the same head sculpt as Rosetta (see below), Silvermist loses a bit of her Asian features. Her gown design is accurate, but glitter-bombed, and the green steak on the top of her gown is a bit too strong of a contrast. It would have been nicer if the colors blended a bit more .

Dust-keeper talent Terrence's doll turned out quite well, in my opinion. Sure, he has hard plastic sculpted hair, but as such, he does not have the wild-hair look that Tinker Bell and Fawn have. His outfit turned out nice and accurate, and his tiny boots are excellent! He is definitely one of my favorite dolls from this set.

Light-talent fairy Iridessa looks awesome from head-to-toe. I think she may share the same head sculpt as Tinker bell, but it looks a lot better on Iridessa, because her expression seems so much softer. I think it may be the lack of the wild-hair bangs. Certainly, her neatly swept back updo looks great. I like how the glittery portions of her skirt look like transparent insect wings over the orange fabric of her underskirt. The bead representing her sunflower seed button is a cute detail.

Garden-talent Rosetta is one of my favorite characters from the Disney Fairies franchise, and her doll is very cute. Her gown is a bit lacking, especially her skirt, which is a bit odd considering that looks are very important to her. If I were to debox this set, I would have to restyle her hair to have the proper pulled-back waves around her face, which are reminiscent of Scarlett O'Hara from Gone With the Wind. Not surprising, as there must be some southern-belle connection.

Most surprising of all, Fast-flying talent Vidia has become my favorite Disney Fairy. I did not care much for her in the first couple of films, but she really opened up in Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue. Sure, she has a very snarky personality, but I like that. She is also my favorite doll from this set. The gorgeous purples (my favorite color) of her outfit contrast nicely against her fair skin. She may have suffered from the Fawn-big-head problem, except that her hairstyle saves her from that with her side-sweeping bangs and longer hair that frames her face. I think that she is just gorgeous! I wish I had bought an extra of the individually sold dolls for her.

"I will face the world/Fearless, proud, and strong!"

This photo project has been almost 16 years in the making. I bought my Mattel Fashion Secrets Megara doll back in 1997 when the film was released in theaters, and thankfully she has stood up very strong against the test of time. :) I never did run across any of the Hercules dolls, and for whatever reason, it never occurred to me to try to get one until now, even though I knew they existed. However, with all of the discussions surrounding the DFDC dolls and the ever-present fan hopes that someday the Disney Store will make dolls for more of their often-neglected characters, it dawned on me to complete my own top-wanted fantasy DFDC. So, of course I turned to our favorite auction site and found a Mattel Legend of Love Hercules doll that was in good condition. As soon as I received him in the mail, it was time for a photo shoot!

I have done a review of Fashion Secrets Megara far earlier in this thread, but I never get tired of singing the praises of this doll. Megara has always been one of my favorite Disney characters, so her doll ranks quite high in my entire doll collection and she always will. I still feel that she can stand beside the original 2011 Designer Princess dolls and blend in perfectly, even without the sparkly glue-on gems. If the Disney Store's play dolls were as well-made as Fashion Secrets Megara, there would actually be no need for the DS Designer dolls. :p Mattel has made three different Megara dolls: Fashion Secrets, Legend of Love, and a basic Megara doll. In my opinion, Fashion Secrets Megara is the best doll of the three for a couple of reasons. First, she is in her iconic gown from the film, which as an added bonus can be modified into several variations of different lengths and styling. Although all the gowns from the Megara dolls (and the additional fashion packs that they released for her) are gorgeous Greek-inspired gowns that I would grab in a heartbeat, nothing beats her original violet gown. Second, Fashion Secrets Megara is the only Mattel Megara doll that has her classic closed-mouth smile. The Legend of Love and basic Megara dolls have a pretty open-mouthed smile, but there is nothing so true to her character than that slightly crooked closed-mouth smile.

So why did I chose to get a Legend of Love Hercules over Golden Glow Hercules? After all, Golden Glow Hercules is dressed in his more iconic battle armor, including his breast plate. Well, the answer is simple: it all came down to what I could find at the best price. A boxed Golden Glow Hercules doll sells for at least $50 or more with shipping, and I ran across a good second-hand Legend of Love Hercules for less than that, even though he is missing his wrist cuffs, his headband, and his sword. Luckily, the rest of his clothes are intact, including his cloak, and most importantly, he still had his sandals. Also, all of his articulated joints are still very tight, which is great for a doll that has been around for more than 15 years.

Mattel did a great job with their Hercules doll. This is an example of them really going the distance to make a doll to match the character, as opposed to making the best with a generic doll form to sort of resemble a character (re: DS Classic Gaston) or not going far enough and falling short of making a great doll for a particular character (re: DFDC Beast). Hercules has a very special head sculpt that was designed to look like the character, exactly as they did with Megara. Hercules is a very stylized movie and these dolls were made in the exact same style as the film. The shape of his face, eyes, nose, hair, chin--and everything--looks perfect. His body is appropriately very athletic with a broad torso and shoulders, muscular arms, slender waist, and powerful legs; all perfectly Hercules. Even his unnaturally long neck is consistent with the film's art style. Perhaps my only complaint is that his head looks a bit small in proportion to hs body, but again, that is consistent with the character design.

Legend of Love Hercules' clothes are definitely more "Grecian party" than "Grecian warrior." The fabrics are in gold, silver, sky blue, and a dark teal. The gold and silver fabric portions seem to be intended to mimic the look of armor, but in a softer, more fashionable way. It fits well on his body, as there is some stretch to the material, but the sectioned "skirt" has a tendency to fold and fray. The more impressive portions of his outfit are the blue portions (pleated sky blue kilt and sleeves as well as the dark teal cloak) and his sandals. He does have a belt with the medallion with the symbol of Zeus at the center (unfortunately, it is mostly hidden in the photographs behind where Megara and Hercules' hands meet).

So until the Disney Store decides to heed the request of us fans and make dolls for films like Hercules, and make them at least as good (if not better) than the original Mattel dolls, these two will be my perfect personal DFDC Hercules dolls. :)

Fashion Secrets Megara & Legend of Love Hercules
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Fashion Secrets Megara & Legend of Love Hercules by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Fashion Secrets Megara & Legend of Love Hercules
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

I love Fashion Secrets Megara, had her as a child and just got her again in box this last year. I really like your photos, if by any chance you are a de-boxer would you consider snapping a pick of Herc and Meg inside a Designer case? Because that would be AMAZING. Regardless, great write-up thank you for your lovely retro reviews!

So these lovelies came in today!!!! I took advantage of the %40 off last weekend as well as my gift card I received for the damaged Ursula and got them for a great price!!!! They are wonderful and I'm so happy!

IMG_3340 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

Way to go Guppy! This set is amazing! I love how it has Vanessa! I really hope they do a LE doll of her in the future.

Thanks Shiva, I know what you mean, I am almost reaching the maximum space in that room haha. I may have to move the other things in that room out and make that a dedicated Disney room to fit in any future dolls haha.

Your display looks amazing Polaris! I can't wait to be able to display my dolls like that. I only have a very small area where I can place them and I am running out of space. I would buy actual displays like the ones in Ikea, but I dont even have the space to put those. Maybe if I take all of my furniture out of the house?? Hahaha

I love Fashion Secrets Megara, had her as a child and just got her again in box this last year. I really like your photos, if by any chance you are a de-boxer would you consider snapping a pick of Herc and Meg inside a Designer case? Because that would be AMAZING. Regardless, great write-up thank you for your lovely retro reviews!

Thank you! :) And great idea about putting them in a Designer case! I have not deboxed any of my DFDC dolls yet, but I have deboxed all of the Designer Villains and they are all displayed out of the box, so here you go! I chose Designer Maleficent's case, because I like the green color, and none of the other DFDC dolls have a green background. It looks very woodsy, as in where Hercules and Megara first met. I need to make a label to cover up Maleficent's name, so for these pictures, I used some white fabric to look like mist or clouds. Thank you for the suggestion!

Fashion Secrets Megara & Legend of Love Hercules - DFDC style
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Fashion Secrets Megara & Legend of Love Hercules - DFDC style by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Thank you! :) And great idea about putting them in a Designer case! I have not deboxed any of my DFDC dolls yet, but I have deboxed all of the Designer Villains and they are all displayed out of the box, so here you go! I chose Designer Maleficent's case, because I like the green color, and none of the other DFDC dolls have a green background. It looks very woodsy, as in where Hercules and Megara first met. I need to make a label to cover up Maleficent's name, so for these pictures, I used some white fabric to look like mist or clouds. Thank you for the suggestion!

Oh my goodness! They look amazing :) Thank you for sharing the photos. I really want a couple Meg and Herc now. I'm sure they would sell like hotcakes. Fantastic job!

Your display looks amazing Polaris! I can't wait to be able to display my dolls like that. I only have a very small area where I can place them and I am running out of space. I would buy actual displays like the ones in Ikea, but I dont even have the space to put those. Maybe if I take all of my furniture out of the house?? Hahaha

Thank you! I was thinking of getting display cases for them but then just figured that when I get my own place I would just make a dedicated room for all of my Disney merchandise and would sort out what sort of shelving I would use then. Was thinking I could just get built in shelves or display cases.

Wow I love your OOAK Hercules and Meg Shiva, it def shows Disney that they can do more than just Designer Princesses and Villains.

Way to go Guppy! This set is amazing! I love how it has Vanessa! I really hope they do a LE doll of her in the future.

Thanks!! I love this set too its so nice!!! and it was great to get it for a good price!

And Im with you on the no space thing! Its ridiculous! I don't even have room for what I have now let alone displays!!! I can't wait till i can display them nicely

I'm so desperate for a Maid Marian, I'm right now modelling a head for her in 3D, and when it's finished I'm going to get it 3D printed! Then, I will airbrush and root teeny tiny eyelashes into it, and put her head on a disney doll (or possibly some other doll, whatever gives her the right stature). I might need to model her some hands too, (monsters high ones dont look like they would be right for her) Then I'll air-brush the body. and I want the tail to be 'plush' with wire inside :) And I will sew her an outfit and a veil (no way is that going to be moulded to the head) aaah, and little purple slippers on her feet
*end result may look like poo, but for now I will enjoy the image in my head*

Also, I love everyones collections!!! Gorgeous! Meg is so amazing, she looks great with hercules in that box!

So I got another shelf to display my dolls, so I did some rearranging and took more pics and just had to share!

DSC_6680 by Cobalt Avenger, on Flickr

DSC_6679 by Cobalt Avenger, on Flickr

DSC_6676 by Cobalt Avenger, on Flickr

DSC_6675 by Cobalt Avenger, on Flickr

DSC_6623 by Cobalt Avenger, on Flickr

DSC_6631 by Cobalt Avenger, on Flickr

DSC_6672 by Cobalt Avenger, on Flickr

DSC_6636 by Cobalt Avenger, on Flickr

DSC_6643 by Cobalt Avenger, on Flickr

DSC_6640 by Cobalt Avenger, on Flickr

DSC_6669 by Cobalt Avenger, on Flickr

DSC_6682 by Cobalt Avenger, on Flickr

Mike I am soooooo jealous of your collection! I'm sure I read on your other thread that you only started collecting doll side of things July last year?! If so you have done very very well, I'm still trying to pick my mouth up off the floor!

Shiva - I've never really been a huge fan of Hercules, however your OOAK is just magical :)

"Halloween: lot's of fun, lots of screamin'.
Come and join the party,
That's just why you're here!
Halloween! Look around, you're not dreamin'.
Come to the party,
It's a spooky villain Halloween!"

There was no way I could pass
up Halloween and a Disney Villains-related post! :) So, I think now would be a great time to do a short revisit to my Designer Villains Dolls.

Disney Designer Villains Collection: One Year Later
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

In general, I really like the Designer Villains collection a lot, and as time goes on, I like them even more and more. The things I mentioned in their original reviews that I would have changed for them are still the same:
-I wish that Maleficent's hair horns were styled more like the design sketch rather than bunny ears and that they did not have those sloppy ties in the back.
-I wish that Cruella de Vil had a chic bob or pageboy hairdo in her proper half-and-half color blocking.
-I wish that the Queen of Hearts did not have such sleepy-looking eyes and the heart-shaped lipstick that references the 2010 Alice in Wonderland film.
-I wish that Queen Grimhilde's gown had a Mandarin collar (no plunging neckline) and that her jawline were not so hard-looking.
-I wish that they had given Mother Gothel a different hairdo.
-I wish that Ursula had a more voluptuous figure, even if they did not want to make her fat.

But despite all of these "wishes," I have learned to appreciate them all as they actually are, with only some minor accessory adjustments made to some of them. :) Cruella's new red shoes, Mother Gothel's black opera gloves, and the Queen of Hearts' red & white rose bush and red hair ribbon were all the right touches that brought them up to a whole new level for me.

At this point, I am not sure if I can rank them exactly from most favorite to least favorite in a clear, numeric system of 1 through 6 anymore. Designer Cruella de Vil is still my most favorite in the collection, but the rest of them stand out in many good ways individually and as a collection, so perhaps I have come to like the other five about the same?
:hatbox: Happy Halloween, everybody! :phineas:

Designer Cruella de Vil
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Designer Maleficent by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Designer Queen of Hearts
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Designer Queen Grimhilde
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Designer Ursula
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Designer Mother Gothel by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Last edited:
Mike I am soooooo jealous of your collection! I'm sure I read on your other thread that you only started collecting doll side of things July last year?! If so you have done very very well, I'm still trying to pick my mouth up off the floor!

Thanks so much Sian, yes from around August last year I started my collection, after I hear about Merida. As you can see I can get a little out of hand....I spent a loooot of money completing my collection haha, especially with the additional shipping costs it was a lot of work and I think that is sort of what makes me love my collection more. Other than the Cinderella, TLM dolls, Brave dolls, DFDC and Designer Villains everything else was bought from the second hand market. I also have China Doll and Sgt Calhoun but didn't have anywhere to put them. Also its hard to display China Doll unless you take her out of her box. They definitely were not as popular as the dolls this year, I remember I didnt know about Lady Tremaine and by the time I found out about it online she had sold out in the US. So I had to buy her from the UK Disney Store because she was still on sale there so I sort of lucked out with that one.

Another from my collection that I feel I was really lucky to own is my Rapunzel Gallery Print, I dont know if you remember these but they were released around this time last year in the UK only. Rapunzel was by far the most popular one and I was umming and ahhing over whether or not to get her when I finally decided to get her she sold out online. But lucky for me she appeared back on the site one day so I bought her straight away. No hesitation and I dont regret it, as she really is amazing.

Shiva I absolutely love what you did with your villains, the "added extras" that you do not only make your dolls quirky but also unique. My favorite is Cruella, love how you added the red shoes as it really seems to fit. I have no idea how you managed getting shoes that would fit but they sure due suit. Do you mind if I ask what Cruella originally had on her feet? Seeing your pictures always makes me want to debox my dolls but I just couldn't haha. I am still tempted to break the seals on my Snow LE just to see what number I got and take better pictures of her and maybe fix up her frazzled hair.

I agree as well with some of your comments re the dolls, and I love Cruella I thought that she is probably one of the best in terms of Disney transposing her look to fir the designer line. Also her outfit just looks stunning, you cannot help but admire it because it really was detailed and exemplifies Cruella's look. I found Gothel was my least favorite too. Maybe because of the fact that she was too simple? So really the complete opposite of Cruella. Sort of like they ran out of ideas for Gothel so just put her in that which looks very streamlined and whilst there is some great detailing there it just felt lacking compared to all the others. I mean she doesn't even have an accessory. It's just such a shame since they had so much potential for her.

Last edited:
Thanks, Polaris! :) My deboxed Designer Villains dolls have been a real joy for me. Prior to their release, I very seldom deboxed any of my dolls, and almost never with limited edition dolls. But almost all of the Designer Villains really need to be freed from the packaging to really appreciate the details and the work that went into them. Only Designer Ursula looks practically perfect in the original packaging. But for me, one of the best things about deboxing them is customizing and posing them in ways that do make them more unique and even better than the way the Disney Store designed them. Even though your LE Snow White is fully sealed with the side stickers, I do recommend opening the box to check your CoA and also to fix her hair. The way I see it is that if you do not intend on selling your doll, you may as well have free access to her, even if you don't fully debox her. I have yet to debox one of the 17" LE dolls, and I am very happy just to be able to open up the boxes and re-adjust things and then close the box again to display them.

Designer Cruella de Vil was originally given black shoes, which blended too much with her black dress, making her feet disappear in all of that darkness. In the actual film 101 Dalmatians, Cruella de Vil has red shoes, and even the design sketch for Designer Cruella de Vil has red shoes, but somehow her doll was given black shoes... Her red shoes really pop with color, and changing her shoes was the absolute "must do" thing I had to do for her. Cruella de Vil is the favorite villain for both me and my mom, so I even changed the shoes on the doll I got for my mom, which is still in the original packaging but now with red shoes.

Of the Designer Villains, Cruella de Vil's nature and original outfit from the film are the most modern couture, which translates very well with the Designer concept. The other five Designer Villains are all set in a historical, fantasy settings, so their outfits even in high-fashion translations do end up appearing more like costumes by comparison. I am incredibly tempted to take down Designer Cruella's hair to see what it looks like out of the updo, but I also have a feeling that her hair is actually rooted in a specific way to support that updo, and so her hair may look terrible if one tries to restyle it (there may be "bald spots). I certainly don't think I have the skills to restyle her hair back to its original style if I were to try to unbind her hair.

In defense of Designer Mother Gothel, the only thing that I would have changed is her hairdo, but in the past year I have become very used to it now. I actually like her gown very much. From the front, it does appear a lot simpler than the other Designer Villain gowns as it is made of plain burgundy satin in a basic fitted silhouette with gold satin trim at the hem. I think that the gloves I added to my doll make her look more elegant from a full front view of her gown. Otherwise, she does look like she is missing something. The elaborate embroidered train is the star element of her gown, and it is fun to drape it about her in fun, artistic ways. Designer Mother Gothel's gown is second to Designer Cruella de Vil's gown when it comes to looking like a modern high fashion gown.

Really nice Shivatopia :D I remember last year when you posted the Villains pictures and I loved your idea to add black gloves to Mother Gothel. Sooo... I also added some to my Mother Gothel ^^ plus she was missing more for me so I also added some jewelry and changed her hair a bit.

I only own Maleficent, Evil Queen and Mother Gothel though when the collection came out the only one that I originally wanted was Cruella de Vil lol. Then just ended up buying Mother Gothel but the more I kept seeing pictures of Maleficent and Evil Queen I was like darn I should have bought them. Was lucky to buy each when they showed up again in the Disney website. Later bought another Mother Gothel when she went on sale to have her as she originally came out. :) Here's some pics ^^ of my beloved Mother Gothel.

IMG_7680.jpg
IMG_7681.jpg
IMG_7686.jpg
IMG_7678.jpg

Shiva I love your pics of the villains! Cruella looks amazing and gives me the creeps! I tend to agree with Mike when it comes to Gothel she looks so plain when you compare her to Cruella. I love the extras you and doll enchanted have given her she looks much better.

Mike I don't even want to think about how you've spent on your collection but its definitely something to be proud of! I do remember those prints they were amazing. I actually posted about them on here when they were half price. Looking back I really wish id have bought them but they never seemed to have them all at the same time and that's one thing is want the complete as I probably would hung them in my daughters room. I can't remember now were they a 250 LE?

Last edited:
LOVE the Villians pics. I only have Urusla and Mother Goethel at the moment. Trying to get a reasonably priced Maleficent off of ebay.

As much as I love the Designer Villains Line the way it is, it would have probably been longer-lived having included the other 5 male villains. Considering couples are being done, it would be nice to have the male villain for the couple with one so that way it doesn't feel imcomplete. BTW, I love what you did with Gothels hair! The pearls were a cute touch too as a whiteness in all the dark burgundy macabre. But back to the matter I came, I think Jafar and Gaston classic dolls are good steps towards something. Just a thought but here's hoping! Also Shivatopia, I like the Red Shoes Cruella thing. Something to match those gloves and satin liner LOL.

Went to the Disney Store today cuz I finally had a chance to get to my closest one (an hour away) to pick up my in store Ariel pre-order!!! SOoo happy with her! She's gorgeous as always and with this one I was comfortable removing her from packaging because I had one that I'll keep in the box!! Her full beauty is kinda hidden in that packaging and its solo nice to see her fins fan out!!! Love her!!! And the way I repositioned her in her box lets her fit in with the rest of my princesses better I believe!! My other one is with my TLM 17" looking beautiful as ever!!

While I was there I kinda went on a spree what with all the Frozen stuff I just had to get some!!! So here is today's hual and some pics of my ever growing collection!! Incredibly happy at the moment!

IMG_3364 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

IMG_3383 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

IMG_3385 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

IMG_3388 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

IMG_3359 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

P.S. Because of a lovely member on here and my mom I have a very good feeling that the DFDC set I really wanted but missed will be under the Christmas Tree this year!!!!!! (cough* ARIEL AND ERIC*) AHHHHHHHH

Last edited:
I love your modified Designer Mother Gothel, Doll_Enchanted! I am so glad that my original modification of giving her black opera gloves inspired you to get some for your doll, too! She really needs them. I also love the pearls you gave her. They do add an extra touch of elegance. :) I also like how you took the sides of her train and turned them into an elegant and fashionable stole. Very clever! And best of all, I am so glad you found a great solution to her hairdo! That is absolutely fantastic! Instead of a Marge Simpson curly beehive, she now has a very afro-chic updo! I love it! This is totally even more proof that they could have done so much more with Designer Mother Gothel!

Well, since we're talking about modifying Disney Villainess dolls, yesterday I finally went to work on my Lady Tremaine doll from the 2012 Cinderella Deluxe Doll Gift Set. I have not made her a petticoat yet, but I did something I never thought I would build up the nerve to do: I restyled her hair.

I actually took apart Lady Tremaine's hair in order to tighten up her hairdo. The factory styling had her hair puff out way too much around her ears, making her head look even more massive than it already is. Please reference DRJ1828's great personal flickr photos of Lady Tremaine as she is styled by the factory
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/68105287@N03/7476521172/). It was a real labor of love, and I was not sure if I could reconstruct her hairdo once I had taken it apart. In fact, there were times that I thought I had royally messed up her hair and would never be able to get it back together! I have very little experience with restyling doll hair.

Her hair is basically tied off in several sections and pulled together toward the top of her head. The front portion actually pulls over these two coiled buns on top of her head in order to make the height and volume. The back is pulled up and then tucked in upon itself. The factory also uses black thread to tie all of the sections together.

My main goals were: 1) to tighten and pull her updo more upward than outward and 2) to give her updo more of that heart-shape that it appears to have in the film. The white center stripe is what can be used to cleave her hair down the center to make the heart-shape, but if you pull it too tightly, it looks downright weird. I did succeed in streamlining her hairdo, but the heart-shape... not quite so much as I wish I had. Still, I think it is a huge improvement on the way the factory sloppily handled her hair. I wish I had taken pictures of her hair deconstructed, but I was so caught up in trying to reassemble her hair and hit my goals that I forgot to...

After this, I have absolutely no intention of ever taking down Designer Cruella de Vil's hair, which is styled in a similar fashion. It is a real mess under there in order to make these updo shapes!

2012 Lady Tremaine doll
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

2012 Lady Tremaine doll
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

2012 Lady Tremaine doll by Shivatopia, on Flickr

2012 Lady Tremaine doll by Shivatopia, on Flickr

2012 Lady Tremaine doll
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Last edited:
"The Pear-shaped Toad!"

"Oooooooh,
Sing sweet nightingale,
Sing sweet nightingale,
hiiiiiiiiigh above me."

So along with redoing Lady Tremaine's hairdo to tighten it up, I also went out in search for good props for at least one of the Tremaines. I have no interest in getting a grand piano for Lady Tremaine (I already have no display space), there are no 12" doll scale Lucifer figures that I know of, Drizella really does not have any accessories (except her discarded turquoise bead necklace?), and so... it came down to Anastasia's flute, and it's just perfect!

The scene of Anastasia and Drizella's music lesson before the lovely scene of Cinderella's "Sing Sweet Nightingale" is certainly one of the many memorable scenes in the film, as it highlights the strong differences between the untalented awkwardness of the stepsisters as opposed to Cinderella. Drizella cannot sing on key if her life depended on it, and Anastasia clearly struggles with being even a half-way decent flautist. Add that to the fact that Lady Tremaine sets them up with the bizarre phrase "The Pear-shaped Toad," and you have a couple of very humorous scenes before and after Cinderella's main portion of the song!

The Tremaines perform "The Pear-shaped Toad"
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

The Tremaines perform "The Pear-shaped Toad"
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

The Tremaines perform "The Pear-shaped Toad" by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back