• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Heroes & villains collection first look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heroes & villains collection first look
Did anyone else who ordered the Elsa/Hans set from Disney Store find the outer sleeve damaged at all? I ordered one from a reseller who got the complete set of six at D23 and while the shipping box and outer box came in perfect shape, there is a portion of the sleeve, the part that goes over the name plate, that is completely damaged. It looks like it was shoved forcefully behind the nameplate. I want to know if that's a defect from the shipping department or if the seller might've accidentally damaged it before sending it to me.

Last edited:
Did anyone else who ordered the Elsa/Hans set from Disney Store find the outer sleeve damaged at all? I ordered one from a reseller who got the complete set of six at D23 and while the shipping box and outer box came in perfect shape, there is a portion of the sleeve, the part that goes over the name plate, that is completely damaged. It looks like it was shoved forcefully behind the nameplate. I want to know if that's a defect from the shipping department or if the seller might've damaged it before sending it to me.
I received my Elsa/Hans via ups from Disney store today. The shipper and inside box were perfect but the slip cover that goes over the set had a smooshed corner. Since both outside boxes had no damage or smooshed areas it happened prior to packaging. =|

My Elsa and Hans set area scheduled to arrive tomorrow!! I hope they show up on time and with out any major defects. If Disney continues the hero's vs Villians series next year i would love to see a belle and Gaston set

OMG, that would be an awesome set! He could be trying to get her attention and Bell would just continue ignoring him! Good luck getting your dolls, hope they arrive safely!

I received my Elsa/Hans via ups from Disney store today. The shipper and inside box were perfect but the slip cover that goes over the set had a smooshed corner. Since both outside boxes had no damage or smooshed areas it happened prior to packaging. =|

I was so upset when I saw it. I don't know what to do because I really want a pristine slip cover like my D23 set has, but I don't want to pay for another set just to get the slip cover and I'm not sure what else I can do about it. It looks really awful!

I was so upset when I saw it. I don't know what to do because I really want a pristine slip cover like my D23 set has, but I don't want to pay for another set just to get the slip cover and I'm not sure what else I can do about it. It looks really awful!
Maybe contact the seller and let them know? I know it probably doesn't help much but I'd still tell them. I'm sorry that happened to you. That really stinks

Did anyone else who ordered the Elsa/Hans set from Disney Store find the outer sleeve damaged at all? I ordered one from a reseller who got the complete set of six at D23 and while the shipping box and outer box came in perfect shape, there is a portion of the sleeve, the part that goes over the name plate, that is completely damaged. It looks like it was shoved forcefully behind the nameplate. I want to know if that's a defect from the shipping department or if the seller might've accidentally damaged it before sending it to me.

Mine was damaged like that as well. As were my Ariel/Ursula I ordered and the Anna/Kristoff set I picked up from Disney store (they didn't let me check it). I've also had the name plates arrive slightly damaged. I've had really bad luck with QC on these sets. Still, yours could have been damaged by the seller. They should have inspected and noted the damage before shipping it to you. I just tried to push mine down as much as I could, but I'm going to display at a angle so it doesn't show too much. Honestly, after seeing how damaged some of these sets have been, I'm not letting it get to me too much. At least the heads aren't on backwards.

Mine was damaged like that as well. As were my Ariel/Ursula I ordered and the Anna/Kristoff set I picked up from Disney store (they didn't let me check it). I've also had the name plates arrive slightly damaged. I've had really bad luck with QC on these sets. Still, yours could have been damaged by the seller. They should have inspected and noted the damage before shipping it to you. I just tried to push mine down as much as I could, but I'm going to display at a angle so it doesn't show too much. Honestly, after seeing how damaged some of these sets have been, I'm not letting it get to me too much. At least the heads aren't on backwards.

Yeah, I've thought about taking the sleeves off both sets so that I don't see it. Out of sight, out of mind. I try to remind myself that it's the dolls that count, but I'm such a stickler for the quality of the box that it's hard to overlook it. Glad to know I'm not alone, but I'm also sorry that others have the same issue. Not cool that something so beautiful isn't handled better before leaving the warehouse.

Maybe contact the seller and let them know? I know it probably doesn't help much but I'd still tell them. I'm sorry that happened to you. That really stinks

I'm thinking about it. I didn't want to write without knowing whether this was a common problem or not just because I didn't want to stir up trouble.

Yeah, I've thought about taking the sleeves off both sets so that I don't see it. Out of sight, out of mind. I try to remind myself that it's the dolls that count, but I'm such a stickler for the quality of the box that it's hard to overlook it. Glad to know I'm not alone, but I'm also sorry that others have the same issue. Not cool that something so beautiful isn't handled better before leaving the warehouse.

Yeah, the artwork on the sleeves is so beautiful and a big part of the whole thing. It is a shame, but QC has been so bad I feel it could be worse. I have a designer princess Cinderella I ordered from Ebay without the sleeve and I kind of regret keeping it. The seller didn't normally sell dolls and was selling it for someone else. It seems he just copy/pasted the description from another listing and specifically stated the slipcover was included. We went back and forth on it and he ended up refunding 25% and giving me my shipping back. I thought it was worth it to take the deal and be done with it as I thought the doll was more important and on the bright side I wouldn't have the slipcover taking up more space when not on the box. Sadly, I love the artwork and do miss it. I just try not to think about it too much. So, yeah, I understand the slipcovers do matter.

I've also moved around a bit in 20+ years of doll collecting and know how hard it is to keep these things pristine, so I just try to enjoy them however they are. I used to torture myself over my gold label Barbies getting boxes dented when I first moved out on my own eons ago, long before these Disney LE dolls existed. Those dolls that used to be worth something before Ebay exploded are worth very little now, so I stressed over nothing. I still have the dolls, but it doesn't bother me that they aren't in mint boxes, even if they would be worth something now. It's just too hard to keep something like that pristine over decades, and something like doll collecting should make the collector happy, not stressed. As someone who has long suffered with various forms of anxiety and stress, I really try not to stress about my dolls. I'll probably damage them more in the coming years. So, I just try to be a bit Buddhist about the whole thing... the glass is already broken...

Yeah, the artwork on the sleeves is so beautiful and a big part of the whole thing. It is a shame, but QC has been so bad I feel it could be worse. I have a designer princess Cinderella I ordered from Ebay without the sleeve and I kind of regret keeping it. The seller didn't normally sell dolls and was selling it for someone else. It seems he just copy/pasted the description from another listing and specifically stated the slipcover was included. We went back and forth on it and he ended up refunding 25% and giving me my shipping back. I thought it was worth it to take the deal and be done with it as I thought the doll was more important and on the bright side I wouldn't have the slipcover taking up more space when not on the box. Sadly, I love the artwork and do miss it. I just try not to think about it too much. So, yeah, I understand the slipcovers do matter.

I've also moved around a bit in 20+ years of doll collecting and know how hard it is to keep these things pristine, so I just try to enjoy them however they are. I used to torture myself over my gold label Barbies getting boxes dented when I first moved out on my own eons ago, long before these Disney LE dolls existed. Those dolls that used to be worth something before Ebay exploded are worth very little now, so I stressed over nothing. I still have the dolls, but it doesn't bother me that they aren't in mint boxes, even if they would be worth something now. It's just too hard to keep something like that pristine over decades, and something like doll collecting should make the collector happy, not stressed. As someone who has long suffered with various forms of anxiety and stress, I really try not to stress about my dolls. I'll probably damage them more in the coming years. So, I just try to be a bit Buddhist about the whole thing... the glass is already broken...

You're right. I hate feeling stressed/angry about something that is supposed to be joyful. I'm sure that I'll probably care less the more that time goes by. Right now, it's just become a little bit of an obsession, lol. I've always liked to get stuff in perfect condition, but yeah, moving it and keeping it that way is definitely something I'm dreading when I move next year. I think I have to just "let it go" ;)

You're right. I hate feeling stressed/angry about something that is supposed to be joyful. I'm sure that I'll probably care less the more that time goes by. Right now, it's just become a little bit of an obsession, lol. I've always liked to get stuff in perfect condition, but yeah, moving it and keeping it that way is definitely something I'm dreading when I move next year. I think I have to just "let it go" ;)

I totally get that. I think of myself as a recovering perfectionist. There is something about the Disney dolls that kind of brings out the obsessive part of me as well and I really have to fight it. I don't get like that with other dolls. I bought a couple of dolls from Wilde Imagination last week and it was such a wonderful experience from the customer service interaction to displaying the dolls. I always debox my Tonner dolls and display them without any thought of decreasing value. They come in solid cardboard boxes, so I can't enjoy them in box. I never stress about it even though they retail for more than the Disney LE. There's just something about Disney dolls that is hard to figure out. I guess it has to do with the emotional attachment to the characters, the possible increase in value, and the fact they are designed more as collectibles than most dolls since they are packaged so well for display. I don't know...

I do hope it works out for you whatever you decide. I think you'd have cause to contact the seller, but I know that's a hassle. It probably did come like that from Disney. Still, they should have disclosed it if they listed it as new since that means undamaged. Good luck.

I totally get that. I think of myself as a recovering perfectionist. There is something about the Disney dolls that kind of brings out the obsessive part of me as well and I really have to fight it. I don't get like that with other dolls. I bought a couple of dolls from Wilde Imagination last week and it was such a wonderful experience from the customer service interaction to displaying the dolls. I always debox my Tonner dolls and display them without any thought of decreasing value. They come in solid cardboard boxes, so I can't enjoy them in box. I never stress about it even though they retail for more than the Disney LE. There's just something about Disney dolls that is hard to figure out. I guess it has to do with the emotional attachment to the characters, the possible increase in value, and the fact they are designed more as collectibles than most dolls since they are packaged so well for display. I don't know...

I do hope it works out for you whatever you decide. I think you'd have cause to contact the seller, but I know that's a hassle. It probably did come like that from Disney. Still, they should have disclosed it if they listed it as new since that means undamaged. Good luck.

Haha! A recovering perfectionist, I can relate to this so much with my Disney dolls but I am also getting better and not letting small flaws bother me like they used to.

Haha! A recovering perfectionist, I can relate to this so much with my Disney dolls but I am also getting better and not letting small flaws bother me like they used to.

Yeah, it's hard to do that sometimes. I think that's one good thing about getting old. :) About 10 years ago I really would have pitched a fit and let the the flaws (i.e. QC issues) totally ruin my enjoyment of the dolls. I think collecting more types of dolls that I happily debox, and appreciating the customization of a really flawed doll, helps me get over it. I also try not to think of the monetary value of the doll beyond what I paid and how much I can enjoy it for that with no consideration of possible increase and resell. That's one thing that can really ruin it for me. The dolls can't represent money for me. They are what they are and the money spent is gone. They aren't financial investments for me. There are better financial investments out there. Otherwise, every imperfection looks like a dollar sign. I used to make myself so miserable over dents and things and think of perfectly good dolls as being "ruined."

Yeah, it's hard to do that sometimes. I think that's one good thing about getting old. :) About 10 years ago I really would have pitched a fit and let the the flaws (i.e. QC issues) totally ruin my enjoyment of the dolls. I think collecting more types of dolls that I happily debox, and appreciating the customization of a really flawed doll, helps me get over it. I also try not to think of the monetary value of the doll beyond what I paid and how much I can enjoy it for that with no consideration of possible increase and resell. That's one thing that can really ruin it for me. The dolls can't represent money for me. They are what they are and the money spent is gone. They aren't financial investments for me. There are better financial investments out there. Otherwise, every imperfection looks like a dollar sign. I used to make myself so miserable over dents and things and think of perfectly good dolls as being "ruined."

I agree with everything you've said, now when I get a doll with QC Issues I just look to see if I can fix it, I also don't worry about small issues with the box or casing as the dolls are the most important thing to me. It's actually freeing to not worry about dents or scratches as I too used to make myself miserable studying the flaws over and over. It also isn't about money for me either, I agree it's money gone and not an investment, maybe it is down to getting older which I can unfortunately relate to as well haha!

Tinktig, that's a good way to phrase it... "freeing to not worry about dents or scratches..." Freeing is the perfect word for it.

Hello, I've been lurking in these threads for a while now, and just wanted to share my experience with my very first doll order from the online Disney Store!

First of all, lets get the bad out of the way - I would like to know who packages these things for shipping? UPS dropped the box off this morning (Elsa & Hans), and it was almost wide open! There was only a tiny bit of tape holding the ends of the top down and the flaps were widely separated, meaning almost the entire top was open in the middle! I could literally reach my hand into it without any trouble! One corner of the box was ripped to shreds and the other side was severely crushed and dented! Now, I know UPS is likely to blame for the rough handling, but the missing tape?! How did that happen?! I don't see any evidence of tape being ripped off, so it looks like they simply didn't put a full strip down at all?!

Suffice it to say, I was terrified that the actual doll box, and worse - the dolls themselves, would be damaged before I even looked inside. Thankfully though, they weren't. Unlike some people, I did get a bit of air packets (not nearly enough imo), but wow, virtually no protection in there! For a rather expensive collector item, I think this is outrageous!

Anyway, on to the dolls...

I'm not experienced in this hobby, as I am mostly a pin collector, but these dolls are beautiful! Color me impressed! I've seen and admired photos before, but never knew how good they looked in person until now! The size is nice to me, and the box is lovely too! My cover art sleeve has no damage either, surprisingly! I feel extremely lucky after reading about all of the horror stories on here the past couple of weeks!

I can see why people get obsessed over these! I decided to buy this set for trading (I am actually looking for a Calhoun doll), but now I am having a hard time with the idea of giving this set up!

Oh yeah, as I am a total newbie to this, does anyone have any tips for what to look out for as far as common errors/damage on the dolls themselves? I mean, these look good to me, but I don't have any previous experience to go on, so I could be missing something that others find a major issue.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello, I've been lurking in these threads for a while now, and just wanted to share my experience with my very first doll order from the online Disney Store!

First of all, lets get the bad out of the way - I would like to know who packages these things for shipping? UPS dropped the box off this morning (Elsa & Hans), and it was almost wide open! There was only a tiny bit of tape holding the ends of the top down and the flaps were widely separated, meaning almost the entire top was open in the middle! I could literally reach my hand into it without any trouble! One corner of the box was ripped to shreds and the other side was severely crushed and dented! Now, I know UPS is likely to blame for the rough handling, but the missing tape?! How did that happen?! I don't see any evidence of tape being ripped off, so it looks like they simply didn't put a full strip down at all?!

Suffice it to say, I was terrified that the actual doll box, and worse - the dolls themselves, would be damaged before I even looked inside. Thankfully though, they weren't. Unlike some people, I did get a bit of air packets (not nearly enough imo), but wow, virtually no protection in there! For a rather expensive collector item, I think this is outrageous!

Anyway, on to the dolls...

I'm not experienced in this hobby, as I am mostly a pin collector, but these dolls are beautiful! Color me impressed! I've seen and admired photos before, but never knew how good they looked in person until now! The size is nice to me, and the box is lovely too! My cover art sleeve has no damage either, surprisingly! I feel extremely lucky after reading about all of the horror stories on here the past couple of weeks!

I can see why people get obsessed over these! I decided to buy this set for trading (I am actually looking for a Calhoun doll), but now I am having a hard time with the idea of giving this set up!

Oh yeah, as I am a total newbie to this, does anyone have any tips for what to look out for as far as common errors/damage on the dolls themselves? I mean, these look good to me, but I don't have any previous experience to go on, so I could be missing something that others find a major issue.

Thanks!

Well, I know for the 17in dolls, some collectors really stress out about the boxes, like if they're bent or warped in some way, though as long as mine have no holes or any other noticeable flaw it usually doesn't matter too much to me. For the designer dolls, it's usually rips and tears in the slip covers and sometimes the condition of the cardboard that's under and behind the dolls that some may stress over. The dolls themselves sometimes could have varying degrees of imperfections like maybe a chip of paint missing in one of their eyes or maybe messed up hair or clothing. I believe I even heard that a Rapunzel doll on display at one of the Disney Store's this year had her foot broken off. Most imperfections I've heard of tend to come from less noticeable places on the dolls though, something only a deboxer might notice. For instance, some Elsa's apparently have their knees attached backwards in this set, other dolls might have stains on them from their clothing-the designer Brier Rose has on a purple shall that can bleed through and stain her arms, I've even heard about an LE Tiana doll that had white arms when someone removed her gloves. It really just depends on the doll. If you upload a picture or two I'm sure someone could provide you with some more insightful information. Also, if you check out the 17in doll forum, which is typically more active than this one, people might be able to give you better ideas on what to look out for, especially if you reask your question and include pictures of your set. Hope this helps you out a bit! :)

Last edited:

I can see why people get obsessed over these!

It's funny. I recently crossed over to pin collecting and thought the same thing after getting the Art of Jasmine set. I started getting into pin trading for my nieces and nephew, and just got a few Maleficent pins for fun as she's my favorite character, but when I got the Art of Jasmine set is when it all clicked for me. I had no idea pins could be be so beautiful and certainly gained an appreciation for how obsessed people can get over them.

It sounds like you got a good set. I've been buying the LE dolls since last year and these sets are the worst packed that I've ever seen. They used to have a little more care. My boxes have all arrived in about the same condition as yours did, partially crushed shippers. Thankfully they are packed in another protective box. The 17" LE are just packed in an outer shipper that fits perfectly over the tissue wrapped LE box, but I haven't had any problems them (others have).

If you don't pop open the box (opening is not recommended as it will lower value) then some of the flaws are going to be hard to find. You may have noticed the backwards leg a few pages back. I'm noticing with mine the cardboard bottoms are all coming up. That'll hurt value if it's compared to one with the bottom in place. Most "flaws" are minor complaints, like hair or head position. It can hurt if you trade or sell to someone who is very picky, or if it bothers you. I haven't noticed any paint quality issues on these, but that can sometimes be an issue. Example: My 17" Maleficent from last year has a small paint bubble on her chest. That'll decrease value. Face ups can be wonky too, but you should be able to notice pretty easily if that's flawed. The face plates on the front can be slightly damaged and that'll lower value. Any damage to the slipcover and scratches on the plastic isn't good. Stuff like that. If the dolls look good to you, and similar to stock photos, then they are likely good. Doll collectors can be pretty picky and many want mint boxes with mint, never removed from box dolls in them. You can also get a collector that likes to debox and fiddle with them. They won't be as picky. If you can, maybe post some pics of the set you have and see if people here can see anything wrong with it.

Doll trading isn't something I've had much experience with, so I won't advise on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back