• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PIN PICS (Wants / Trades Accuracy) Case Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
PIN PICS (Wants / Trades Accuracy) Case Study

iamdisneydan

The Bald Guy In The Back
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Hello Pin Friends.

Anything that has any value these days has to have some sort of history of sales to determine what it is worth. For Cars, it's the Kelly Blue Book. For Sports Cards it's the Beckette and for pins it's pinpics. But just how accurate is the information?

I have done a personal case study (someone needed to take the time) and have come to some interesting conclusions, not opinions, conclusions and I think you will find it very interesting.

When most people who know what pinpics is trade, they take into account the wants / trade ratio. if the trades are high and the wants are low, that would indicate the pin is not very desirable and does not hold a great value while if ite pin has few trading and hundreds wanting, this is a highly demanded pin with a short supply so it wil bring a premium.

But is the pin really as elusive as it may seem. Here is an actual example and my synopsis of what is happening and why pinpics should only be used as a general reference if even that. Sometimes even if we dont like it, you have to go by what pins are actually selling for, not want trade ratios and here is why.

I looked at mostly DA100 pins for this study. Many had only 3 - 8 people trading and 100's wanting. First lets look at the pin (I did this with over 50 pins from Jessica to stitch). So we have an LE100. Not everyone buys a pin to trade. Many of the people who buy these pins have them for their personal collection so lets say 10 of 100 or 10% of the people will be trading the pin. Still a very low amount.

But here is where the problem comes in and this is not only with LE100 pins but many pins that hold a greater vale than $100.00.

People who could never afford or who have nothing to trade for these pins have them on their wants list. Some of these people have less than 25 pins for trade and all are lanyard pins. In most cases it's wishful thinking and just a cool pin. Typically they may cruise pinpics and see cool pins that they like paying no attention to edition size and I have found this true in most cases and you can see for yourself.

Just because I want a rolls Royce bently and it's on my most wanted cars list does not mean when one comes up for sale that I can afford it. Sure I would love to have it and a ferarri too but you have to be realistic. Now here is where the proof from my study comes in.

I looked at over 50 pins that fall into this catagory and there is no need to look at the people trading, more so the people wanting. I clicked on the wanting and then went to each member to see their entire wants list.

First thing I found is that there were about 10 traders who had DA100 Jessicas on their wants but also every other Jessica you could imagine. Now I looked at their traders and also their collection.

Their collections had NO DA100 pins or for that matter many pins of much value, mostly cast lanyard and HM's and their trades were in the same field. So basically they could never trade for the pins they want. It;s just in their catagory and they in many cases dont know if it's a $5.00 pin or a $500.00 pin.

This held true for 96% of the people I checked. (yes I have time on my hands and wanted to prove this to someone else so i thought I would share with all of you)

On a particular Jessica DA100 pin there are 3 people trading and 265 wanting. Of course i did not check all 265 but based on averages of the sample 50 accounts, maybe 15 - 20 people can actually afford or trade for this pin.

I think you can see the point I am trying to make. PinPics is just a guide and I dont feel the wants trade ratios are very accurate. Evenpinpics every 6 months removes the inactive people and the ratios go crazy. Thats because some novice collectors who mark every pin in a catagory they like mark them but they are not really traders and have not been online in 6 months so they remove the information. So how accurate is that?

No matter how much you hate it, you need to go by ebay and what pins really sell for. Look at sale boards and see what people are asking and more important are they getting it.

I mentioned in a previous post that just because I list a HM or cutie for $100.00 on eBay it does not mean it is a $100.00 pin. IT HAS TO SELL. And even if 1 pin sells for that amount, that is not much history.

Like houses on the same block, if 25 houses sell for half a million dollars and one sells for a million, the one house will not greatly affect the track record of the other houses. now if 2,3,4 or more start to sell for that price, the prices will go up but it must have some consistancy.

Yes, it's all about supply and demand but is pinpics accurate enough to determine that?
I think based on my studt that the information is not really that accurate. Yes, pin information and pin numbers are great so we know what we are trading for but when someone tells me there are 500 people wanting a pin, how many of those are legitimate?

I think regardless of how many people are wanting, you can pretty much base your figure on a few things. How many were made, what percentage of those are being traded and when looking at the wants, recalculate based on the statistical information I have supplied which would be 10% of the number listed, so if their are 265 wanting, that number in reality is probably closer to 26. Still a desirable pin but if value is based on demand, it is more accvurate to figure 26 wants versus 265 wants.

See for yourself. Try it with one high end pin. Remember a lot of people do not look at value of a pin when adding it to their wants. If you collect Stitch, you add stitch pins, if its C&D you add those pins. Most people dont know or look or have any idea of the cost of the pin, just that they would like it, and dont forget, I would like the silver shadow and a Bently too.........

Whats your opinion to this study and why not try it before posting.

Pic a pin, look at the wants and see what the people who want it have in their collection, number of pins in that collection, trades available and what they are, etc...

I look forward to seeing how many of you agree with this proven fact.

Last edited:
Now, first of all I don't think you can say it is a proven fact because the nature of a case study is that it only focuses on a small amount of the population. This one time it may be true for what you have done, but that does not mean it will be true for other pins. However, I realize the point of the case study is to focus in so that bigger assumptions can be made, so I would agree with you about your findings, but I would not go as far to say that it has been "proven."

Anyways, I think this is a valid point I think I agree with your findings, but still think we are stuck with the trade/want ratio. Even with this information it would be hard for someone to trade a pin with a trade/want ratio of 12/99 for a pin with a 55/67, you know? I guess the majority of the pin community adheres to this and unless we can get everyone to do this and see what we see, we are stuck with the trade/want ratio for now.

Hello Pin Friends.

Anything that has any value these days has to have some sort of history of sales to determine what it is worth. For Cars, it's the Kelly Blue Book. For Sports Cards it's the Beckette and for pins it's pinpics. But just how accurate is the information?

Woah, woah, woah, WOAH! I must have skipped a chapter in the Pin Encyclopedia's answer to Trading, Selling, and Everything (I think it might've been chapter 42). PinPics lays no claim to determining values, and anything derived from that idea is rather droll. The very beginning of your entire tirade compares PP to Kelly Blue Book and Beckett (not Beckette), both of which are known for providing VALUES. Simply values. Not how many people want a Rolls Royce, just simple dollar amounts. So to ask how PP's information as to terms of a value is accurate, is simply preposterous.

I have done a personal case study (someone needed to take the time)

Really? I wasn't aware that there was such a huge demand for any of this.

and have come to some interesting conclusions, not opinions, conclusions

? ... !? ... ?!?!? ... BAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Here is an actual example and my synopsis of what is happening

Wait, what? Where? I'm still looking for an actual example. Don't see any.

even if we dont like it

Speak for yourself bub. I love pin pics because I use it for it's intended purpose... to find people that have pins to TRADE.

(I did this with over 50 pins from Jessica to stitch)

Wow, your search was so extensive! And the parameters so broad!! I am astonished by the results you found. I mean, looking at 0.0006% of all pins (yes, that is six ten-thousandths of one percent) really must have gotten you a great conclusion.

so lets say 10 of 100 or 10% of the people will be trading the pin. Still a very low amount.

Where'd this figure come from? I believe you have said you're a magician, so it must have come out of thin air, probably with a flourish... and a top hat.

People who could never afford or who have nothing to trade for these pins have them on their wants list.

That's a rather large presumption.

Some of these people have less than 25 pins for trade and all are lanyard pins

OOOhhh!!!! My time for made up statistics!!!! I bet 1000000% of traders at one point had a trades list that looked like this.

Now here is where the proof from my study comes in.

FINALLY! Proof! ::sits on the edge of his chair::

I looked at over 50 pins that fall into this catagory and there is no need to look at the people trading, more so the people wanting. I clicked on the wanting and then went to each member to see their entire wants list.

First thing I found is that there were about 10 traders who had DA100 Jessicas on their wants but also every other Jessica you could imagine. Now I looked at their traders and also their collection.

Their collections had NO DA100 pins or for that matter many pins of much value, mostly cast lanyard and HM's and their trades were in the same field. So basically they could never trade for the pins they want. It;s just in their catagory and they in many cases dont know if it's a $5.00 pin or a $500.00 pin.

::YAWN!!:: Man, I just read three paragraphs and still failed to see any proof... I guess I'll keep reading, maybe something will pop up.

(yes I have time on my hands and wanted to prove this to someone else so i thought I would share with all of you)

Now... wait a sec... I think a read something this morning....

but I just dont have the time right now

.... Moving on ....

Of course i did not check all 265

what!? WHAT!? You didn't check everything!? But... but... but this is a personal case study!! I can't be left alone to diddle with averages and guesses!! You told me these were FACTS Dan! FACTS!! I don't know what to believe any more. How can you promote such profound findings when you didn't even check all of your mediocre "proofs" as thoroughly as you claim!

I think you can see the point I am trying to make.

Not yet.

PinPics is just a guide

OH-em gee! Roll the press! The first accurate thing I've read yet.

No matter how much you hate it, you need to go by ebay and what pins really sell for. Look at sale boards and see what people are asking and more important are they getting it.

While this isn't even accurate, your reasoning for it is even more terrifying. I'll just leave it out.

but is pinpics accurate enough to determine that?

I'm getting the feeling you REALLY despise pin pics. I challenge you to make a better one ;)

Whats your opinion to this study

Bollox

I look forward to seeing how many of you agree with this proven fact.

Once again... ... .... .... .... BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHHAAAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!11!!1!!!!!!!!11!!

Happy Trading!

-Grim

As an educational researcher who has reviewed papers including case studies for journals, I have to say that this study sounds better than some actual studies I have read! And I have to say (based on my personal experiences) that I agree with the idea that not all of the "wanters" for any pin are real rivals when a particular pin comes up for trade/sale.

However, I would say that a similar argument can be made for lowering the number of actual "traders" as well. I have some really good trader pins, but there are some traders out there who (no matter what I've offered) will not respond back with a trade offer. When I offer 4-6 DA 100 pins for a pin that is LE 250 or 500 and get no bites, it makes me wonder if that trader is actually willing to trade that pin for anything! Now I know that maybe I haven't offered what they want, but if they have unrealistic expectations about what they can get for that particular pin, the net result is that they are NOT going to be trading that pin in the near future.

Anyways, I agree that both the trader and seller numbers can be seriously overestimated. It's just too bad that we don't have another way to evaluate the trades or wants for this pin. Thanks for doing this study; I think it's very helpful.

Pins, like any collectible, are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

I don't care about price value. If it's a pin I have been searching for, for a long time I will do what I can to trade for it. I also see how badly I care about the pin I'm trading away versus the one I will be getting. What matters is what it's WORTH to you and how badly YOU want it.

Last edited:
I didn't used to care about a pin's "price". But since I have had very limited experience actually trading for the pins I want but a whole ton of experience buying them, I actually DO care about the price (until I get it).

I have some really good trader pins, but there are some traders out there who (no matter what I've offered) will not respond back with a trade offer. When I offer 4-6 DA 100 pins for a pin that is LE 250 or 500 and get no bites, it makes me wonder if that trader is actually willing to trade that pin for anything! Now I know that maybe I haven't offered what they want, but if they have unrealistic expectations about what they can get for that particular pin, the net result is that they are NOT going to be trading that pin in the near future.

Interesting! I agree completely. I recently offered one trader two DA LE100s that he was wanting in exchange for one that I wanted. Although he said the trade was tempting, he would not agree because he was particularly fond of his pin and would not trade it unless he was the one initiating the trade. What??? If we all took that approach no one would ever trade.

Question: when you have exhausted all possibilities in trying to get a particular trade (offered equitable or greater trades from their wants, tried to find exactly what they want for the pin, etc.) do you ever wonder if they truly have the pin?

I like the people that list they have a pin for trade when the actual release date is 3 or 4 months down the road. I have many times offered a $200.00 value pin to these type of people waiting for them to reply, when they do I ask if they can ship it out right away, when they say they do not have the pin yet, I ask why in the world they list that they have it for trade if the pin is not to be released for months and they have it listed as a trader on pinpics.

Value on any given pin is what each collector thinks it is worth... case in point AP's or PP's, I could really care less about them when they think they hold the same value as gold.

I will sit back and enjoy reading the responses on this thread :)

Wow....ok....

First off, we all have different opinions but there is no reason to be blatantly rude. We are (mostly) adults here and should be able to have a discussion without insults.

Now, with that being said, my opinion....*crickets crickets*

Pinpics is a tool that can provide valuable information but should not be taken as an absolute because because the information (trades and wants) is flawed. It isn't flawed by any fault of Pinpics, but because the users control the information and there is no regulation on how one must use it.

Now, since the wants and trades is flawed, so is the case study. Just because a person has le 100s on their wants and none in their collection doesn't mean they won't get what they are after. I find that a lot of people don't load their collections. Some may not want to take the time and others may not want you to know what they really have because if you did then they would never get you to do the trade that they want. Others, myself included, have pins on my wants list that I don't really want and would never buy simply because if one came along it might be a good trader for me to get what I really want. I even own several pins already that are still on my wants list. And then, like someone said, trades are also off because there are some people that have no intention of trading and may just be showing off, trying to get a feel for the value people are willing to give because they are a seller, or whatever.

So, while I do for the most part agree with your conclusion, the road you took was a bit rocky. I'm no reseacher, but I did major in mathematics! Lol

Maybe this came across wrong. People seem to use the trades / wants ratio to determine the value of a pin and how in demand it is. I LOVE pinpics GRIMGRINNER and without it we would all be lost. It is positively the best way to know what people have as far as traders, I am just saying the wanters is not accurate.

So I spelled Beckketteettee wrong. So Sorry but people do use this as a means to value their pins based on demands and the demands are not correct. When a case study is done, you dont look at every single thing involved. It is a percentage. I mean even Neilson Ratings have 1 family per 25.000 families and that represents an average nationwide.

Proof? I did not say you had to take my word for it, I CLEARLY stated to check it for your self and you can draw your own conclusion. I figured some people may appreciate my efforts and the 6+ hours I spent doing this for their benefit.

Yes, Pinpics is awesome as a database and to find people trading but you just cant go by the wants based on what I explained.
I know I can't please everyone but I know plenty of people agree with the basic point I am trying to convey and for other people, I hope it helps them. Maybe I am trying to convey it incorrectly but most get the point.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion but try to include some of the stuff that does not make only you look good by choosing specific sentances. What about the part that says Check this for yourself. Sorry if I used terms you dont like.

How about this.

I DID SOME RESEARCH AND HAVE COME TO MY OWN CONCLUSION THAT THE WANTS ON PINPICS ARE NOT ACCURATE AND HERE IS WHY.

Before you try to call foul, why dont you look for yourself. you will see what I have seen. People trading actually have the pin they have listed while people who want Grail pins have no idea what they are asking for nor do they have anything in their collection remotely close nor do they have anything to trade unless you will take 25 HM's for you $350.00 DA100 pin. I understand that I may not be able to go by their collection because as mentioned, not everyone list all their pins, but if you are trying to trade for a pin, you sure need your traders listed because that is what a trader will look at.

Sorry for trying to be helpful and pointing something out to protect people in a trade when more than not people use the wants trade as a form of making a decision. Of course PINPICS does not state a value of any pin other than the original price but it certainly gives people false impressions of the demand which makes them think it is worth more. (This is not pin pics fault anymore than a gun manufacturer being responsible for someone killing with their gun) It's the people who use it but that is the point so maybe I should say THE PEOPLE OF PINPICS.

And finally, when you say WORRYING ABOUT PRICE VALUE IS A BIT SHARKY? How cant you. Just because you have an LE250 does not mean it is more valuable than an LE500. Value absolutely plays a part. So you are telling me if you have an LE500 worth $100.00 and I have an LE250 worth $25.00 you will trade me the LE500 based on edition size and not value BECAUSE YOU ARE SIMPLY GETTING A LOWER EDITION SIZE PIN?

I mean there are older rack pins that are worth more than a lot of LE250's.

And my reference about comparing pinpics to kelly blue book is a reference and like it or not, it may not have prices but it is what people go by to estimate demand and once again, IT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE. Dont read through the lines, we need pinpics, TRADES are real but wants ARE NOT.

Thanks for all the kind words too

Last edited:
Dan, you're taking this all too personal. It's just pin trading! But when you start to claim yourself as the know all, be all OF pin trading, be cautious of the outlandish "factual conclusions" that you make. All I'm saying is....

TRADES are real but wants ARE NOT.

Prove it!

Hey Buddy,

Its all good and I never take it personal. Some like cherry, some like chocolate and some vanilla.
In my last post I tried to re-explain what I was originally trying to convey. i did not think it came across that I hated Pinpics. I like pinpics and could not live without it.

I did what I felt could be called a case study by definition and was only really trying to convey that the numberws are not always correct and you need to go by the actual market value.

And about the pricing, you certainly have to have an estimated price. As mentined, you cant just trade edition size. That would mean you should be able to trade any LE250 for a LE500 or LE500 for an LE1000 even if they are monitarily worth far more.

Everyone has a different sense of humor and personality. I saw what you wroye mostly as humorous while making your points.
I love debates. I have posted plenty of times and disputed what others have said. That is what a forum is all about.

Now for the record, I NEVER CLAIM TO BE THE KNOW ALL of pins. far From it. maybe someone like Figgy could say that. what I do claim is I like to try to help people and typically when someone is saying something about a pin, I will do all the research I can to present what I think is the most accurate information.

I am only trying to help people with my post like about scrappers and stuff. many other post are certainly a matter of opinion, but in this case, I did do a lot of research and certainly there are a lot of areas that can be challenged, but the overall point of Wants not being accurate is mainly what I am trying to convey.

And just because you may not have agreed with my post or how I presented it does not mean I wont try to get you a pin on your wants.
I do take pride in trying to study the facts and get educated in certain areas and once I do, I try to share that with our fellow traders.
A PIN EXPERT KNOW ALL. Positively not. Lots of useful information. Certainly yes.

I try to learn everyday but with 80,000+ pins, I dont expect anytime soon to know everything, you never can because pins are coming out everyday.

And as far as my comment that trades are real and wants are not. Someone made a great point that they have offered fortunes for a pin but the person did not want to trade. Maybe people also list pins just to look cool. So why dont we say that both the trades and wants are both not accurate and you should see what people on the boards sell the pins for and check enough to get an average.

But also as mentioned, I have wanted a pin that may have been worth $50.00 and traded $80.00 of pins because I just wanted it. It's all in the eye of the beholder and everyone will think their pin is worth something different then the next. it is all subjective. But based on my findings and reasoning, I stand behind what I researched and accept there are some flaws but over all the whole purpose is that you cant use it as a rock solid means to trade as the information is not accurate.

And in closing, I will not be paying your token fee because I am not a mortal.

PS where did I say I was the Know All be all of pin trading. I am only giving my opinions

Wow! Your study may be true. But is it your opinion that we should only put pins on our wants "that we can afford"? That is silly.

Aprille

Not that you can afford, again I may have used an incorrect terminology. A pin you intend on trading for and at least know the value.
Some people may add a pin thinking its a cool Jessica pin and have no idea its a $400.00 pin. If they did, they may not list it.
and if its on your wants, do you have anything to trade for it?

Maybe I look at it wrong, Wants are something you hope to have one day even if you have nothing for it today. I want a million dollar house but if offered it today, I have nothing for it. Just to me does not make sense.

What I will say if nothing else is a post like this brings great debate and shows many opinions and gives people plenty to look at and see every side so they can make their own decisions and opinions. In the end, it helps people. Agree or disagree, people get to see various opinions and that helps them in their own decisions.

And I also love a great debate. I mentioned to someone in a PM if i said a pin is a pin and a post is a post there would be no debate. What fun would that be?

A fellow pin trader with me tonight said I should mention this.
When I say people dont have pins to trade that are in the range of pins thay want, how many of you via the trade assistant have had offers for your DA100 or DS pins and are being offered Hidden Mickeys? I know I hear stories all the time from many people on this very forum that thell me how they are tired of people offering $5.00 pins for $200.00 pins. Why do you think this happens?

Hoping they might get lucky? I (PERSONALLY) think I am right about the trades and wants. Not to mention people dont always update their stuff.
The scenerio of people trying to trade HM's for super valuable Grail pins just validates that when they list they want certain pins, it is based only by the fact they like that character and pay no attention to what it is or edition size or understand edition size and how expensive some of these pins are.

Sure, I want all of the high end grail type pins and thousand dollar pins but what do I have to trade for it. It is wishful thinking that throws off the numbers. Do you shop for cars that dont have price tags and just choose the car you want and then deal with the price? and if so, what if the car you pick is out of your range. Same thing with pins.

You need to be realistic and I just think (IN MY OPINION) that there are too many wants that are not realistic.

And anytime you trade a pin, even if you dont look at it as money, you still have a certain value of a pin and want to be in a similiar range.
I will trade this pin for those 2 pins. Why not just one of them. Because your pin is more valuable than just one of the pins and it would take two to be fair. Call it what you will but pins have value and thats how people trade.

but if people dont post it as a want, you also wont know how many people truly want that pin. if its a $200 pin and only 1 person who has valuable pins wants it while 10 are trading it, does it NOT make a $200 pin anymore?

And People like to get each other gifts. I have gotten pins of wants lists of several other traders, that I knew they wanted from it being posted on their wants. I was able to trade for it but it was never on my wants list, but I saw friends wanted it and tried to get them for the, If they didn't list the pin on their wants HOW would I know they wanted it. I have gotten DA LE 100 Jumbos for others, based on their wants. Several months ago I sent out over 2000 requests to over 400 people, sending out requests for EVERY want that a friend had on his PinPics page

Thirdly as someone who has worked at a sports card store for the last 7 years BECKETTs are garbage now. Prices are so wrong its not even funny. Cards will list for $40
sell on ebay for $1 others will book $100 and sell for $300
the ONLY true guides to value are EBAY and well thats about it.

Also their is a disney pin value guide, but it is now almost 2 years since their last release but it was pretty accurate at the time.

I think that we should all remember that everyone values things differently, and therefore it is not right to try and promote a "right" way. I have been trading for about 3 years, and I have gotten lucky many-a-time on some pins that I never thought I would get. The pin in my signature is an DA100, Stitch and Pinoccchio. I thought I would never get this pin. Someone sent me a request, offering me this pin. I traded 2 Beloved Tales DSF pins. I asked if they wanted more, and they did not. This person clearly did not go off of ebay value, but this person did help me get a pin I really love, and helped show me how pin trading should work. People helping others. (If I had not listed this crazy pin on my wants...this awesome person would have never known I was wanting it!)

Pin trading is so much fun when you actually trade. I like trying to help people out. If i'm trading an le300 for an le500...so what?! They're pins. If i'm trading a pin that goes for $50 for one that I saw last night go for $30....SO WHAT?! They're pins.

Everyone does it differently. Edition size, ebay price, how much it's been listed for, how much it sells for, PP #'s. Let people do it how they want to do it, and don't claim you know the right way. It's much more interesting this way, we're people, not drones.

Resist! "Who is your daddy, and what does he do" -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Last edited:
While my intentions were good, I am completly seeing another side to this story. I admit that I may be off track in some of my thoughts as other people have brough some new insights. I never have a problem admitting when I am wrong but to an extent.

I have written other post about how people value their pins and everyone here has pretty much spot on in this area.
I still do feel that it is unfortunate that some people go by the trades wants like a bible and as mentioned on all ends, its just not that accurate. Its best to know on your own what a pins value is or even better, what value it has to you.

I also admit I have had a few pins on my wants (and kids wants) that we really did not have anything to trade for and hoped maybe someone would take multiple pins for it. But even better is we have been gifted with 3 of our grail pins by very nice people so I do see the other side of it.

I may think a pin is $100.00 and you may think the same pin is $40.00. Thats what its all about and finding the right person to trade with.
Points well taken. Again, just trying to get some people back to reality, maybe not you, but others.

And I saw someone agreed that eBay is a good indication of what a pin really sells for. List it for 100 and maybe it never sells, drop it to 60 and maybe it does. I just know many pins have come way down over the last year and I had a personal experience where they were still going by the wants trades ratio and again, its subjective but they felt with so many people wanting and so few trading it was a $125.00 pin.

It was only $50.00 Buy It Now on ebay. I know, why not just buy it? I dont have cash but I have thousands in pins and wanted to trade for it and they would not take a multiple trade, only one pin for one pin and I had no $125.00 traders.

Thank you all for your input. at least one person I know will get something from this post and its me.

First off, kudos to Dan for taking the time to do the study. It seemed logical enough and a lot of it was true.

However, (and I might be in the minority here), I use Pinpics more for personal records. My wants list is composed of pins that I plan to buy on ebay or searching for on this forum/collectible stores. I have a few pins to trade, but nothing I would expect to trade for.

Either way, this thread was completely entertaining. Great points throughout.

1want
verb \ˈwȯnt also ˈwänt & ˈwənt\
Definition of WANT

intransitive verb
1: to be needy or destitute
2: to have or feel need <never wants for friends>
3: to be necessary or needed
4: to desire to come, go, or be <the cat wants in> <wants out of the deal>

transitive verb
1: to fail to possess especially in customary or required amount : lack <the answer wanted courtesy>
2a : to have a strong desire for <wanted a chance to rest> b : to have an inclination to : like <say what you want, he is efficient>
3a : to have need of : require <the motor wants a tune-up> b : to suffer from the lack of <thousands still want food and shelter>
4: ought —used with the infinitive <you want to be very careful what you say — Claudia Cassidy>
5: to wish or demand the presence of
6: to hunt or seek in order to apprehend <wanted for murder>

Examples of WANT

• Do you want more coffee?
  • He wants a bicycle for his birthday.
  • I just wanted a chance to rest.
  • She wanted more time to finish the test.
  • Do you want anything from the store?
  • What do you want for Christmas?
  • You can choose whichever color you want.
  • The motor wants a tune-up.
  • Thousands of poor people still want food and shelter.
  • Tell him that the teacher wants him

2want
noun
Definition of WANT

1a : deficiency, lack <suffers from a want of good sense> b : grave and extreme poverty that deprives one of the necessities of life
2: something wanted : need, desire
3: personal defect : fault

Examples of WANT

• His attitude shows a want of proper respect.
  • He is suffering from want of adequate sleep.
  • people who are living in want

Can someone please point out where in these definitions it says that you have to have money to purchase, or have something in equal value in order to own the item?

I want a Mustang Shelby GT 500 Super Snake. I'm not Bill Gates. I don't have the money to purchase one, and I don't have anything worth making a bargain or a trade for it. That's not going to stop me from wanting it.

If I find a pin I want, I'm going to put it on my wants list. Whether it's a $5 pin, or a $500 pin. The point is, I WANT IT. Maybe I'll never get it, just like the Shelby, but that will never stop me from wanting it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back