• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

VINYL A Vinylmation Holiday Celebration

VINYL A Vinylmation Holiday Celebration

thejessta

You guys are the best!
Staff member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
From the Disney Parks Blog:

A Vinylmation Holiday Celebration

posted on November 2nd, 2010 by Steven Miller, Project Manager, Disney Trading

Is it already time for me to make the treacherous journey into my attic to retrieve holiday decorations? Typically, I set things the day after Thanksgiving (while everyone is out shopping). At Disney Parks, we, of course, have to set things a little earlier as there are so many places to decorate. Aren’t those decorations beautiful? One simpler way to add some cheer is with our holiday inspired Vinylmation figures (pictured above). These commemorative figures feature festive designs for celebrations like Holidays Around the World at Epcot or the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. I spoke with Thomas Scott, the lead designer for Vinylmation, about this year’s holiday collection.

“We released three figures last year which were well received by guests,†explained Thomas. “This year, we made some changes and enhancements that we think our fans will like.â€

One of those enhancements is packaging. Last year, everything was presented in metal tins with figures wrapped in foil bags (why I am not sure). Thomas created new functional packaging that allows guests to display their figures.

“When I visited Epcot last year, I had a difficult time finding the holiday figure as the tin got lost among other merchandise items,†continued Thomas. “Eventually I located it and realized that there wasn’t a need for the tin. Guests already knew what was inside. So, we dropped the tin in favor of an open window box to better showcase the figure. The other change which I like is the base of the box can now be used as a stage for the figure.â€

Also new this year is the removable hat on the toy soldier figure designed by Adrianne Draude. I would love to have an entire army of those toy soldiers lined up on a shelf. The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights figure was designed by Susana Gay, and as Thomas put it, “The execution is superb.â€

Thomas designed the Holidays Around the World figure that looks like a singing Christmas tree.

“The Cast Choir tree at the Candlelight Processional was one image that really stuck with me last year,†said Thomas. “It takes about a year to develop figures, so I am already thinking about next year even though the holidays aren’t over.â€

If you didn’t get enough holidays with these figures, we have Vinylmation – Holiday #2 coming in December. The Holiday #1 series was first introduced at the D23 Expo in September 2009. This year, we are introducing some new holidays and keeping some classics. I think my favorite is the corn figure designed by Monty Maldovan. Is that for National Corn Day?

There will also be several limited edition 9-inch figures that will be released during a particular holiday season (Christmas figures during Christmas, Cupid in February, etc). The 9-inch and 3-inch set pictured above will be a Disney Parks on-line store exclusive. Keep watching http://www.Vinylmation.com for updated release dates. And, Happy Holiday-mation!

I really thought the 9" Reindeer was cute - now praying that there is only one version, since I think that
one has a name tag of Prancer on it (LOL) :) Or they might release a different reindeer each year :)
Just a crazy thought :)

Dana
dizneyusa

Ohhhhhhh, these are nice!

And PLEASE don't say that, Dana ... it's bad enough completing a vinyl set that's released all at once. I don't even want to think about completing a set that would be released one per year. :anxious:

Steph, it is ok, on the Disney Blog - Steven Miller said it is only Prancer :) (LOL) But I did
have to ask :) You never know with Disney :)

But I am going to miss the tins for the 3" - I really liked the concept :)

Dana
dizneyusa

Thank goodness there only will be one reindeer released. I know only too well how it is with Disney, Dana, which is *exactly* why you have to ask - and thank you for asking, by the way. Just because they aren't planning to come out with it *this* year doesn't mean it won't be planned for the future. :)

And I completely agree with you about the tins for the 3" vinyls. I understand why they're changing the packaging, but I still liked the original concept.

So far, I have the Osborne Spectacle of Lights vinyl. He is so adorable. I've also got the Holidays Around the World and Prancer coming from a fellow member of Vinylnation.net.

The Holiday 2 series looks really great. Can't wait til these come out to add to my ever growing vinylmation collection. This is great I already have a huge pin collection and now my vinyl collection is also becoming huge. Guess I'll have to get a bigger house. :lol:

November 16, 2010
We just received word that the on-line exclusive figure from Holiday #2 will be released tomorrow, Wednesday, November 17. This is a 9-inch plus 3-inch figure inspired by a snowman. It was designed by David Mitchell who also designed the upcoming Prancer figure being released on Friday.

CLICK HERE to visit the on-line store.

VMBlog_20101116_H2Snowman.jpg
In other news, a fan recently asked on our Facebook</STRONG> page if the Passholder Exclusive figure featuring Mr. Toad was still available at D-Street. The answer .... as of today, yes.

My favorite is the MVMCP Toy Soldier. I also am going to miss the tins, I thought they were a nice collector piece to have.

Back