• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Alice in Disneyland (Wonderland) event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice in Disneyland (Wonderland) event
The example with the comic book t-shirt is copyright infringement. It's illegal. Hehe. :)

If these people re-appropriated pins to convert them into jewelry, they're probably fine. It may also be possible that they actually have authorization to use the image from Disney (though I doubt it). But if they copied the image off the website, they're wandering pretty deep into illegal territory, and that image there doesn't look like the actual real-world pin (at least in that particular picture).

-JD

LOL then I guess I better go tell the store in town that they are illegally printing tshirts and Im gonna call the police.

Wow! Just a few hours ago, someone contacted me about the rubyslipperedgoddess' seller situation. Having gone through the comments, it WAS funny that she gave her unique perspective. For those that ran to her defense, that is a great testament to friendship and devotion (everyone needs a few great friends). However, with OUTRAGEOUS litigious claims from one and admonishments from others, maybe we forget that the truth is a set of lenses that takes facts and perspectives to view the ENTIRE picture. The 'golly-gee-willikers-kick-the-dirt-with-my-shoe-while-looking-down-at-my-feet' statements, it's hard not to feel for someone, but without any more information on the matter as far as why her payment was returned, it's all her perspective, but not necessarily the WHOLE truth. Before letting loose with the sue-happy hijinks and drama so many are salivating for, it behooves us AS ADULTS, to obtain the parts of the matter to see the truth. Please remember, it takes two to tango, and so far, one person has given a grand example of a 'woe-is-me' story, leading plenty to hate the other without knowing the entire truth. If ruby got her money back and an explanation, she fared better than most. As for pin karma, sometimes it's not about the pin, but about how you act towards others. I may or may not know the parties involved (distinguishing online identities to real faces is difficult enough), but having experienced the manipulative ways of individuals in the past, finding the truth in any matter takes precedent over the automatic response to a person's opinion or statement.

LOL then I guess I better go tell the store in town that they are illegally printing tshirts and Im gonna call the police.

The police probably wouldn't care. But the owners of the infringed licensing companies would, and would likely send a cease and desist order if you were to report the store directly to them (to start). I work in some proximity to the comics industry at times, so I know this stuff really does happen. The reason why these businesses still exist is simply because nobody reports them, and they're too plentiful for a company like DC/Marvel/IDW/Darkhorse to patrol on their own. But yeah, for most of these companies, the licensing of merchandise rights is worth significantly more than their actual sales of print publications and advertising. They take it pretty seriously when put to the test.

From a fandom standpoint, it's a mixed can of worms for comic companies. On one hand, free use of comic iconography breeds fan involvement and self-expression within the brand: it's free advertising, in a sense. On the other, though, it does eat into sales which in turns means less job security for creators who work on the source material powering those licenses as a whole.

With that said though, I should get back on topic, and point out that the existence of a matching "Eat Me" ring and pendant is... kind of hilarious... :3

Last edited:
Wow! Just a few hours ago, someone contacted me about the rubyslipperedgoddess' seller situation. Having gone through the comments, it WAS funny that she gave her unique perspective. For those that ran to her defense, that is a great testament to friendship and devotion (everyone needs a few great friends). However, with OUTRAGEOUS litigious claims from one and admonishments from others, maybe we forget that the truth is a set of lenses that takes facts and perspectives to view the ENTIRE picture. The 'golly-gee-willikers-kick-the-dirt-with-my-shoe-while-looking-down-at-my-feet' statements, it's hard not to feel for someone, but without any more information on the matter as far as why her payment was returned, it's all her perspective, but not necessarily the WHOLE truth. Before letting loose with the sue-happy hijinks and drama so many are salivating for, it behooves us AS ADULTS, to obtain the parts of the matter to see the truth. Please remember, it takes two to tango, and so far, one person has given a grand example of a 'woe-is-me' story, leading plenty to hate the other without knowing the entire truth. If ruby got her money back and an explanation, she fared better than most. As for pin karma, sometimes it's not about the pin, but about how you act towards others. I may or may not know the parties involved (distinguishing online identities to real faces is difficult enough), but having experienced the manipulative ways of individuals in the past, finding the truth in any matter takes precedent over the automatic response to a person's opinion or statement.

THANK YOU!! Well put! I totally agree with what you said!!

So, so, so, so, SO true.

There's two sides to every story, and, frankly, some stories should be kept private.

~

And seriously with the copyright infringement? If Disney hunted down everyone who have used their images and whatnot millions would be in trouble. Go on Youtube, tons of Disney fan workings. Or deviantArt. Or Flickr. If Disney did this it'd tick off a lot of their fans. And by some point they gotta relaize this is all great publicity for the company and one of the main reasons why almost every Disney movie is a household name.

Last edited:
OK, have we had enough kicking dirt and acting up for now. Let's get back to the positive. Now who has to Mystery pins for trade (or sale if just forced to have them)? Come on now, speak up and don't leave all the conversation to the pudding (as the Red Queen says). So who has the pins for trade and what did YOU think about the event. Forget all the past posts and focus on the present. How was the event, was it fun, did you make new friends, how were the pins in person? Inquiring minds want to know.

So, so, so, so, SO true.

There's two sides to every story, and, frankly, some stories should be kept private.

~

And seriously with the copyright infringement? If Disney hunted down everyone who have used their images and whatnot millions would be in trouble. Go on Youtube, tons of Disney fan workings. Or deviantArt. Or Flickr. If Disney did this it'd tick off a lot of their fans. And by some point they gotta relaize this is all great publicity for the company and one of the main reasons why almost every Disney movie is a household name.

As gloomy said it's illegal,and on Devart and others,people do original art,but this seller just copied a pic and printed it out on a piece of jewelery.Copyright laws allow people to do this for themselves,but to produce and sell is illegal.Though I think had they put these up before the pins came out Disney would have been on em,but now that the pins are sold up,Disney won't do anything (though I have reported each one) most likely.

Gloomy also made an interesting point about it actually being the pins sans the posts.It does kinda look like thats what they did,wonder if it'd look nice,and a secondary question is,would anyone ever buy one just to get the pin?? O_O

Yes,pics! I didn't see anyone snapping any photos! We should've setup a DPF group shot at some point :(

The event was fun and very well maintained,there was a little rush when they moved the spot where people were waiting for the 2nd chance,and 1 incident of someone complaining about cutting (wasn't cutting,a lady had a wristband and was being taken to the front,she was 15min or so from being too late)

Me+sun=bad,and this day was tough as hell on me,atop me already feeling sick,and having spent awhile in the ER earlier in the week,and my horrid lower back pain which had me at times unable to walk or even lift my pin bag above my waist,I was pretty beat down by this unevent,But even so it was still a fun day!
Would've been better had my wife been able to come :(

and MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR Thanks to Paula6989,without her there would be no way I'd have been able to last,I doubt I'd even have been able to hang on long enough to redeem my wristband :(
and thank you to RachelTheRabbidRabbits mom for the backpatches! I put one on in the nurses office,it did help quite a bit (though she put it a little ways off from where the pain was,but when I do it myself its going centered on the spot!)

I for one had a blast! Got to the Esplande info booth to get my wristband about 7:30am and there were like 2 people in line! I really like the RSP way! Then proceeded straight to LGMSC and waited in the Black Dungeon about an hr or so to get my goodies. As always, I thought all the pins and especially the framed set looks awesome in person! And it was great to meet Gloomy, Nursek8, and a few others from the board. Anybody know who the girl was wearing the Cheshire Cat hat and decked out with a matching purse and lanyard? I thought she looked great with all the accessories!

Grim you did a great job. I followed you as long as you posted and had a wonderful time seeing what was happening "live". Thanks so much for the great posts. Come on, everyone else, how was your day????

and MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR Thanks to Paula6989,without her there would be no way I'd have been able to last,I doubt I'd even have been able to hang on long enough to redeem my wristband :(
and thank you to RachelTheRabbidRabbits mom for the backpatches! I put one on in the nurses office,it did help quite a bit (though she put it a little ways off from where the pain was,but when I do it myself its going centered on the spot!)

Awwww! Anytime. :)

FYI i am at DL right now and all that is left is three figurines.

I hate to change the subject back to unpleasantness, but I'm gone for a few days and it seems like a few people think it's ok to drag my name through the mud. So I'll speak my peace and then we all can go back to happier things.

When I posted that the person who had offered to buy me the pins and then sent me a refund without an explanation, that was a FACT, not an opinion, and I certainly did nothing to provoke her changing her mind. I received a response several hours later as to why she refunded my money. I did not share her name because it's not anyone's business and it's irrelevant. If she cares to explain herself or even refute my story, than she has that right, but considering some of you are ready to form a lynch mob I wouldn't want to share my side either. My post was about my own feelings about what happened, I never once pointed any fingers and said she was a bad person. Did she change her mind, maybe, did something happen and she couldn't make it, maybe. I was simply writing about how her decision affected me. And when I explained the difference between a seller backing out and a buyer backing out, I was speaking in generalities, not my specific situation.

Since some of you can't see the hypocrisy in your own words, let me explain it to you. When a buyer tells a seller that they are going to take something that seller is counting on that sale and if they take it off the market they could lose out on other potential sales. While that buyer is stalling and looking for a better deal, other potential customers are also making other arrangements.

And since it appears that you received an explanation for why your purchases was reversed I think it would be fair for you to share that so that people know the whole story.

Why is it in the pin community, when something good happens to someone everyone says "oh, you deserve it" and "it's because of your good pin karma!" but when someone doesn't get what they want, why isn't it bad karma? That's the thing about karma if you choose to believe in it...it works both ways too.

And quite frankly, I don't get what the problem is. If you wish you had just shelled out the $600 plus the cost of pins to go to the event then why is buying them such a big deal? Even at marked up prices you could buy everything you want for less than it would have cost you to go there and buy them yourself. You keep making comments about how pin traders are so nasty and how you have had so many negative experiences but it seems to me that the person here being the most negative is you.

Erudolf, since I seem to not understand what hypocrisy means, please explain it to me.

I've never sold a pin so I don't know how that applies and I've never backed out of a trade I've already committed to. And as I said, when you are the seller, you already own the merchandise which means if a buyer backs out you can sell it again and it seems to me that people are still selling the pins so no one is missing out. Even ebay allows you to relist for free if a buyer backs out of a purchase. And as I said it's not my place to tell all of you who the person is. One it's completely inappropriate and two it's no one's business. I will speak to the appropriate people, but I will not share that information with you.

The thing about "karma" since most people have molded the idea to fit their own purposes, if you do something good, something good comes back to you, that's not karma, it doesn't work that way. Karma is a religious belief, found in many Indian religions, Buddhism, Hindi and Sikh and it isn't about what you do in one life and how it comes back to you, it refers to reincarnation and how you live your entire life and how each life affects what kind of life you will have in the next life. So you can believe in "pin karma" or that good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad, but the truth is that it's not karma at all. And some times justice isn't served at all.

As far as me spending the money to go to the event, sure I could have done that, but I moved back to Oregon to help my family in their time of crisis and spending that money on something frivolous, even if it was important to me, was not the right thing for me. Can I just buy the pins? Sure, I never said I wasn't going to. My post was my reaction to a situation in that moment.

As for my comment about having had negative experiences with traders, I have, as have a lot of people. I've also posted on other boards about a few of my positive ones, but I suppose you didn't bother to read those before you commented and I don't see how I've been negative at all, but examples would be more than appreciated. As I said I posted one comment about what happened to me and when people showed me their compassion I thanked them and just explained that I'm not sure if pin trading is for me. And can be very cutthroat, so I should thank you for reminding me of that.

And Mr. Nightmare, as I said, what I told you all was FACT, not my "perspective". The only thing you don't know is who the person is and why they refunded the money. I did post that she offered me an explanation and if she wants to offer one to all of you than that's her choice, but as I said above I wouldn't want to. I appreciate everyone's kind words to me, but I in no way was trying to instigate anything. Was I upset about what happened, yes. Disappointed, yes, but angry, no. I'm not trying to get this person thrown under the bus. She did what was right for her. And I don't appreciate you implying I'm a liar. That it's all my perspective. And if this becomes a bigger issue, I will go to the moderators and share with them my PMs with this person. Hell I'll share them with all of you and just black out this person's name. Whatever this person's reasons are had NOTHING to do with me, and as for you "possibly knowing the parties involved" you might know the other person, I don't know who she shared things with, but I guarantee that you don't know me. I have never met anyone on the board, I've only been to a couple of PTNs and I don't generally socialize with anyone there.

I am sorry to everyone who has had to be an involuntary participant to this, but I do not tolerate anyone questioning my integrity. I appreciate all of the people who showed me compassion over my situation, but I by no means am a part or will be a part of crucifing someone else just to appease the masses. I was very disappointed that I didn't get the pins, but it is not the end of my world, I have so many more important things to worry about and when the time is right I will get the ones that I want. I do feel that everyone has a right to their own opinion, but personal attacks are childish and unnecessary. And I regret I ever said anything. Some of you were very kind and again I thank you, but others took my words and twisted them to fit their own agenda, but if it's possible I'd like this topic to be done with. I didn't get the pins, que sera, sera. It's over with, done moving on, for those that wish to comment, I hope that you will think twice and just move on as well. No one wants to hear anymore negativity. The pin event was a happy day for so many people and I want to focus on that. And while I wasn't there and don't have any of the pins, I am eagerly awaiting 2 beautiful Alice in Wonderland watercolors of the Duchess and of the Cheshire Cat, which I will share with all of you when they arrive to share my happy purchases as you have done for me with your pins.

And now.....on to pleasant things. Everyone has had they unpleasant say so let's get back to the fun. What did you get, did you get it signed, were any characters from Alice on hand for the event? Please give me details so I can pretend I was there.

And now.....on to pleasant things. Everyone has had they unpleasant say so let's get back to the fun. What did you get, did you get it signed, were any characters from Alice on hand for the event? Please give me details so I can pretend I was there.

:O I just realized that they didn't have any characters on hand for the event!

I ended up not getting anything signed,I was too focused on getting out of the store and opening my boxes :lol:
I got everything but the frame,I love the statue,it's the perfect size to display nicely (though I had to go through quite a few to find one that didn't have scratches or chips).I forget there's a pin inside :lol:

:O I just realized that they didn't have any characters on hand for the event!

You thought the least they could do was get Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum to make an appearance!

I don't understand why they don't send the characters out during the events. I am I right in thinking that Duffy didn't even make an apearance at teh Love is Magical event!

Baffling.

Martin :)

I'm so anxious to get my stuff I'm stalking the mailman:) Doug knows I'm waiting and he will deliberately drive really slow down my street just to watch me jumping up and down by the mailbox. Sometimes he says "Nothing today" and then pulls out some stuff. But he is the best mailman in the world. If I'm gone, he leaves my packages on the front porch and makes sure the screen locks as he leaves. He's a Disney person too so he kind of understands my addition, but thinks I'm nuts anyway. I'm glad you got what you wanted.

Anyone else - did you get your stuff signed? What did you get and how do you like it? Let's get posting people.

You thought the least they could do was get Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum to make an appearance!

I don't understand why they don't send the characters out during the events. I am I right in thinking that Duffy didn't even make an apearance at teh Love is Magical event!

Baffling.

Martin :)
Yeah it is pretty weird,maybe they don't want to have extra clutter with the Characters lingering in the store and the extra time for photos and such?

I'm so anxious to get my stuff I'm stalking the mailman:) Doug knows I'm waiting and he will deliberately drive really slow down my street just to watch me jumping up and down by the mailbox. Sometimes he says "Nothing today" and then pulls out some stuff. But he is the best mailman in the world. If I'm gone, he leaves my packages on the front porch and makes sure the screen locks as he leaves. He's a Disney person too so he kind of understands my addition, but thinks I'm nuts anyway. I'm glad you got what you wanted.

Anyone else - did you get your stuff signed? What did you get and how do you like it? Let's get posting people.

Haha our mailman does this too,I sometimes just catch him as he's parked at the end of the street cause I want my packages! :lol:

I bought the Alice litho w/ pin (not from the event) and got that resigned by Alex... I was able to get the jumbo, and two of everything else (4 mystery boxes, happily traded away), no frame and no figurine. Let me scrounge up some pics I took on my phone. :)

I should have taken more. :( But I was so distracted! :)

The sign, hehehe..
5592434382_67b1e6fdbb_z.jpg

The artists...
5592422898_79defc8be0.jpg

Line for the artists:
5592422110_91c7e2995f_z.jpg

Alex signing my litho...
5592423722_118d1b8ac6_z.jpg

This is honestly my first "big" haul of pins... :)

5592444804_789f97305b_z.jpg

WOW - so lucky to get your litho resigned. It sure makes it extra special. Looking forward to more photos and insight. Isn't this fun?

This is mind-numbing....but since you specificly asked, here you go:

Erudolf, since I seem to not understand what hypocrisy means, please explain it to me.

Hypocrisy - an application of a criticism to others that one does not apply to oneself.

And as I said it's not my place to tell all of you who the person is. One it's completely inappropriate and two it's no one's business. I will speak to the appropriate people, but I will not share that information with you.

Actually, you already did. If you refer back to post #476 you had shared who you were buying pins from. If that's not accurate you may want to clear that up because I'm sure that is what people are thinking...

The thing about "karma" since most people have molded the idea to fit their own purposes, if you do something good, something good comes back to you, that's not karma, it doesn't work that way. Karma is a religious belief, found in many Indian religions, Buddhism, Hindi and Sikh and it isn't about what you do in one life and how it comes back to you, it refers to reincarnation and how you live your entire life and how each life affects what kind of life you will have in the next life. So you can believe in "pin karma" or that good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad, but the truth is that it's not karma at all. And some times justice isn't served at all.

This is interesting....I'll get back to that later...

I don't see how I've been negative at all, but examples would be more than appreciated.

Here are a few:

Post #295

It sickens me that some people are going not because they love Alice but because they have no problems taking advantage of others.

Disney once again has put very little thought into making their guests happy

Post #380

I have become so disgusted with the way people conduct themselves in this community, I honestly don't think I want to trade anymore.

It's clear that people are very passionate about these pins, but karma is a b*tch and what goes around comes around. If you choose to profit at someone else's expense, then expect that others will do the same to you. (please see your above karma definition and then refer back to hypocrisy)

Post #382

That obsessiveness for immediate gratification just takes over their souls and they will step over, on or just kick out of the way anyone standing between them and whatever it is they collect, in this case pins.

Post #474

Since I seem to have started this concept about allowing people who cannot make it to still purchase the pins, I'd like to say that anyone who would lie, cheat and steal to appease their own greed is not someone I'd like to know and quite frankly I don't want to be a part of a community that those people would be a part of. I've said several times that I have had more negative experiences with pin traders than positive and clearly if pin trading attracts people that are willing to commit fraud just for a couple of pins than I can see why.

Post #525

As for trading, I just don't know. I've had so many negative experiences that I'm not sure if it's worth it. I might just collect and only trade with CMs, granted you don't very often get much, but at least they can't turn you down, change their mind, ask them to buy you a new pin or counter offer. This hobby might just be a little too cutthroat for me. I started trading because I noticed a particular pin one day on a lanyard and I asked my friend about it and in the beginning it was fun and I just love pretty things, but then it became harder to find the pins I wanted and I started trading with other traders and so many of them are opportunistic.

but others took my words and twisted them to fit their own agenda.

I didn't twist anything you said. Your messages were ringing loud and clear and I'm sorry if you don't see it, but they seemed very negative to me. To your credit, you did have some positive posts and comments, but that does not negated all the negative ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back