• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Auctions???

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of our old-times will need to confirm this -- I believe Disney Auctions transitioned to Disney Shopping, which transitioned to the Disneystore.com. The whys and what-fors need to be supplied by someone else in the know.

That is pretty much the sequence of events... Disney Auctions --> Disney Online Store --> Disney Shopping --> Disneystore.com

The downfall of Disney Auctions came in part as a fallout between Disney and Ebay over who would run the auctions. If I recall correctly Disney thought they could do just as well on their own. Mix in the infameous lost / missing / never released pins such as Jessica Monroe and complaints about people deliberately running up prices and buying bulk of lots to resale on the secondary market for profit, and the end came swiftly. Disney transitioned to fixed price sales. And ultimately evolved into the system we now have today.

Yes, Disney Auctions was run through eBay. Over a short time they did get A LOT of negative feedback from customers for one reason or another, which to eBay standards would have been cause to terminate their relationship, but eBay let it continue. A second part of the site opened if people remember called Disney P.I.N.S. (Purchase It Now Store) where instead of auctions, there were different higher edition pins on there you could just buy. It was never really revealed why Disney Auctions closed, but after that happened the Disney Online store opened and then changed it's name a few times as mentioned above. The Disney Auction pins still seem to be among the best pins Disney has ever done in my opinion.

My theory is that it was all a ploy to skyrocket the value of pins released under the "disney auctions" site. Everyone covets these things like no other...

Only recently though. After DA shut down, they had hundreds upon hundreds of PINS pins that they kept pulling out for the WDW CM pin parties and selling at Cast Connection for $5. And putting them in the $10 grab bags. If I knew what the prices would be now, I'd have stocked up!

I remember poking through Cast Connection one time and discovering a bin of DA pins $5.00 each. Looking back I should've bought them there were some cool pins there but I went for the cheaper $.50 cent traders instead.

I went and took pics of the formerly $5 pins I have. One year, for Christmas, my Mom gave me a box with most of these in it (not the LE100 on the upper left of the Beauty & the Beast lanyard though). Think any of them are worth anything? :D :lol:

IMG_3605.jpg
IMG_3607.jpg
IMG_3608.jpg

Last edited:
Lost/missing and never released pins? What's that about?

There were several pins that were sold, but went missing. People won the auction, but Disney could not locate the pins to send them. Disney did not charge these people. Eventaully the pins did get found and released via disneyshopping. SOme of the pins were ones like the TinkerBell princess pins, the Jessica Marilyn Monroe and there was a Villains set too.

I too was wondering what happened to DA. I had heard some bad things about it, like people not getting what they won. But the designs of their pins were really nice.

WOW! I've never heard about the $5 pins! That's amazing! Disney auction pins were absolutely beautiful!

So when they had the auctions how did the bidding work? Like I've seen some strange prices that those pins sold for, they show it on pinpics.

The LE100s were all sold via Dutch auction. Some LE100's were sold as a set, and the remainder were sold individually. Everyone would enter what they were willing to pay, and how many they wanted and then when the auction closed everyone purchased the pin(s) for the lowest successful bid price. So you would have say someone willing to pay $102, someone else $99, all the way down to say $43.02 for the 50th spot in line (if there were 50 single pins available). Then even though the person in spot #1 was willing to pay $102, he would only have to pay the same $43.02 as everyone else. If that makes any sense. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back