• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Pins Fine-Art Museum (any other art-geeks out there?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney Pins Fine-Art Museum (any other art-geeks out there?)
Holy cow! Those SF pins are awesome! They reminded me of some series of pins on my wish list, so I might add/explain their purpose for them in a bit. (I gotta survive this week of exams first.)

Thanks for contributing everyone! Keep it up! :D

Alright, so it's been awhile, but I did remember what I was going to post:

Although they aren't based directly off of "classical" famous artworks, like the Mary Blair pins there are other signature "artists" pins, like this series by Allison Lefcort

PP: 8103, 84936, 9423, 9961, 10715, 11281, 26488
(Sorry for all the Tink. I just love the Tink. Also, there is the color variation.)
pin8103
pin84936
pin9423
pin9961
pin10715
pin11281
pin26488

These came in individual boxes, and she also has pins for Snow White, the Evil Queen, Cinderella, Dumbo, and Eeyore!

What's really neat is how these are so similar to her other pieces, like this awesome painting of Jack Sparrow!

lefc10311.jpg

Well.....still can't let this wonderful thread go to thread heaven yet....here's a new Picasso Pin that we missed from long ago - it was only released for a few hours in 1999!
PP 122, yes that's 122, from the beginning of the beginning...

pin122

Which is a take off of Picasso's Cubism period using our favorite character, Mickey Mouse.
' This pin is limited to an edition size of 300 and was available for only a few hours on November 12, 1999. It was created to celebrate the 24th Annual Festival of the Masters. The artist has the first pin, so there are only 299 in circulation. This pin looks like a Picasso painting of Mickey, the outside of the pin is scalloped. The colors used are orange, blue, red, white and black.'

^wow, that's incredible! An LE 300 from 1999.

The search continues! (Perhaps we have to go into the past to find the newest additions to the thread!)
((I hope to to on a thorough search once Spring break begins))

Alright, I did find some! Although they are not based off of masterpiece works, I found some really cool "watercolor" pins: (And they're Tinks <3 )

Pin 46620 Tinker Bell Watercolor - Flower

pin46620

Pin 38124 Tinker Bell Spring Collection (Tink Mushroom)

pin38124th200

Pin 46618 Tinker Bell Watercolor - Sitting

pin46618th200

Pin 46619 Tinker Bell Watercolor - Flying
pin46619th200

Also, some of the "Hundred Days of Mickey" pins have some really interesting art on them as well!

Pin 12403 DLR - One Hundred Mickeys Pin Series (MM 026) - Baby Mickey

pin12403

Pin 12137 DLR - One Hundred Mickeys Pin Series (MM 023) - Big Game

pin12137

Pin 15406 DLR - One Hundred Mickeys Pin Series (MM 097) - Running Underwater

pin15406

And last but not least, a pin from an Art Expo!

Pin 36729 NYC Art Expo 2005 (Tinker Bell)

pin36729

The pin was apparently only given to art galleries and dealers, so I thought that was pretty neat!

Wow, I am new to this board and I totally enjoyed this thread. The only one I could think of was Minnie Mouse
as the Mona Lisa.

Alright, so bumping this thread up since it looks like we have a few new members on the site who might have a keen eye for art, and also because I found this cool set while browsing pinpics!

Although they aren't based off of any particular piece of art, the pins in the "Tapestry of Nations" parade pin set certainly look like they belong in a museum. (I mean, look at that detail!)

pin2206th200
pin2222th200
pin2223th200
pin2224th200
pin2225th200
pin2226th200

(pins 2206, 2222, 2223, 2224, 2225, 2226)

Each pin is based off a different character in that parade, and although I can't pin down a certain style for each one, I know that there is at least some aztec influence in the art style for a couple of them. If anyone could help with maybe identifying some other art styles/cultures which were/are represented in the parade/pins that would be awesome!

I keep forgetting to add these to this thread, since they were released after it started:

RS_R4f54f80d46.png
RS_R36ade6e0d3.png
RS_R36d6262be5.png
RS_Ra857bf03d7.png

Pin# 111358 DSSH – Mad Hatter & Alice – Alice in Wonderland Artist
Pin# 111359 DSSH – March Hare & Mad Hatter – Alice in Wonderland Artist
Pin# 111360 DSSH – Cheshire Cat & White Rabbit – Alice in Wonderland Artist
Pin# 111361 DSSH – Walrus & Carpenter – Alice in Wonderland Artist

Love to see these Disney characters getting creative!

Love them all, especially the Walrus and Caterpillar in the style of Mondrian...

The Art History thread is back! Long live the Art History Thread :)

Oh my goodness. I *have* these pins, but I haven't gotten around to putting them in my displays yet, so I hadn't examined them closely. I never noticed their palettes! The March Hare is using a teacup of course, the Walrus is using an oyster shell, and the Hatter... I *think* it's a large and battered pocket watch, because I think I see a minute-hand. Or else it's a battered tea tray. But it's funnier to think it's the White Rabbit's old watch that the Hatter "fixed". :)

Walrus is, yes, painting a Mondrian, Cheshire looks to be doing a Picasso maybe, March Hare could almost be doing Warhol/pop-art style, and Hatter... I dunno. Anime?

Oh my goodness. I *have* these pins, but I haven't gotten around to putting them in my displays yet, so I hadn't examined them closely. I never noticed their palettes! The March Hare is using a teacup of course, the Walrus is using an oyster shell, and the Hatter... I *think* it's a large and battered pocket watch, because I think I see a minute-hand. Or else it's a battered tea tray. But it's funnier to think it's the White Rabbit's old watch that the Hatter "fixed". :)

Walrus is, yes, painting a Mondrian, Cheshire looks to be doing a Picasso maybe, March Hare could almost be doing Warhol/pop-art style, and Hatter... I dunno. Anime?

My first thought on the Hatter's pallet was also the battered tea tray. That handle on the end led me to the conclusion, but I could totally see it if they did a pocket watch. And I agree with Mondrian, Warhol, and Picasso (although that's just because I can't think of any other abstract/modern artists that can fit the style better.) I was thinking that Alice might be in the style of Edvard Munch? He would kinda fit with the theme of these artists (they might all be considered a little mad.) Although Anime is also totally acceptable.

Love them all, especially the Walrus and Caterpillar in the style of Mondrian...

The Art History thread is back! Long live the Art History Thread :)

:D Glad to see you're still enjoying it! I need to do some snooping to see what other goodies I can find once my exams are over.

Last edited:
I thought the hatter was painting one of those creepy girls from the sixties or seventies.
168s.jpg

Oh! I bet it is! Like the artist that there was a movie about not too long ago...

Edit: Oh of course, the movie was called Big Eyes. The artist was Margaret Keane. And just to bring things around full circle, the director was apparently Tim Burton. :)

Last edited:
We also have Edgar Degas' ballerina statue showcased at the St Louis Art Mueseum. Further north, I have seen two paintings at the Chicago Art Instiute, Grant Wood's American Gothic(very small painting) and Georges Seurat's Large Masterpiece: A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.
View attachment 14865

There are at least two pins based on the latter. What I like is that the first pin is that it is essentially a play on the artist's style of pointillism, usage of dots rather than long brush strokes to invoke the image on the canvas; the real work is a massive 2x3 meters so it is like seeing a digital photograph with the pixels up close. The last pin is cool but I wish they would've incorporated the entire painting rather then just the three figures on stage left...

Pin 45984
View attachment 14866

Pin 68518
View attachment 14867

I have been pining over 45984 for YEARS.

Edited to add: I was an art history minor in college, so most of these I want, but the 101 dalmatians pointalism one is a grail.

Last edited:
A wonderful thread I have just found. I'm new to pin collecting, but not to the art world. I worked in an art museum here in Texas for nearly 30 years. The artistic nature of so many of these pins is amazing. The Alice pins are fabulous, and as a Cheshire Cat collector I would love that one. Mickey as a Picasso is on my grail list!

Pengy, that's so awesome that you were an art history minor! And sismelis, I'm glad you like the thread! Your comment about liking the Cheshire Cat prompted a search, which brought up an art nouveau pins which I don't think we've shown here before:

pin30042

Pin 30042: Disney Auctions (P.I.N.S) - Art Nouveau (Cheshire Cat)

and also,

pin30382

Pin 30382: Disney Auctions (P.I.N.S) - Art Nouveau (Cheshire Cat #2)

Resurfacing this older thread because I found two pins of interest!

Pin 57883 WDW - Thomas Kinkade - Morning Star Breakfast - A New Day at the Cinderella Castle
pin57883th200

Pin 43351 DLR - Happiest Homecoming On Earth - Thomas Kinkade - Sleeping Beauty Castle Jumbo/Easel

pin43351th200

For those who aren't familiar with Thomas Kinkade, he is an american artist who does some magnificent Disney-themed paintings! I'd upload some samples but they're very large images, and there are too many to choose from. So I'd really recommend just putting in "Thomas Kinkade Disney" into google images and browsing.

I also found this pin from DCL, and although I don't know if it's based off of any real paintings, it sure is artsy!

Pin 82839 Disney Cruise Line - 'Island Intermission' Pin

pin82839th200

As a huge Sunday/Seurat fan, happily there's another pin of it too from a Japan art series:

pin7113

Pin 7113: Tokyo Disney Sea Framed Art Donald and Daisy in Seurat Painting

This series also includes a pin of the Fragonard Swing:

pin9902

Pin 9902: Tokyo Disney Sea Framed Art Lady & Tramp in Fragonard Painting

As well as these:

This was one of the earliest art series of pins, so a lot of newer collectors are likely unaware of them. One of the sad things about those who remember the earlier pins and have disappeared from the hobby is that older wonderful pins get forgotten about... :(

I'm glad this thread got revitalized, because guess what I found on my trip to Japan, in a little secondhand collectibles shop in Nakano?

Yep, found the whole set, in its original case and everything. :) Since it doesn't really have my favorite characters, I have it for trade. But it's definitely a nice little set!

I couldn't remember if they had been mentioned in this thread, so I was re-reading it when I saw your post. :)

I'm glad this thread got revitalized, because guess what I found on my trip to Japan, in a little secondhand collectibles shop in Nakano?

Yep, found the whole set, in its original case and everything. :) Since it doesn't really have my favorite characters, I have it for trade. But it's definitely a nice little set!

I couldn't remember if they had been mentioned in this thread, so I was re-reading it when I saw your post. :)

Oh wow!! What a great find. I'm glad that people on the forum are finding some great artsy pins!

Holy cow, what a lucky find!!!

So pleased that you found the set; and in Japan no less! What great serendipity! I also have this and they are simply amazing...a core part of my art-related collection.

Happy, happy, happy to see the Art History thread revitalized yet again :) Thanks Purplemandms!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back