• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney store lanyards - what a joke!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney store lanyards - what a joke!!

moo_moo_uk

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
So i went back to my local disney store in york today and told them they had some fake Vinylmation pins on there lanyard as i traded for one on Saturday, hoping they would take them off the lanyard. The manager that was in looked at the pin and compaired it to an authentic pin and said the line on the out side if there because the older pins are like this!! i did not say anything as i could not believe what she had just said. i also found out that the manager is off to Disney next month so bought a bulk lot and of eBay!!! and has now put these pins on the lanyard!! I accualy want to email disney and see if they believe its real or fake so they can inform there staff!! any way here are the pictures i would love to know what you guys think......

This is the pin in question
pin71995

this is the back of the pin
image2.jpg
the fake pin is on the left and the authentic is on the right
image1.jpg

P.S the pin is also quite light in weight and no delves in the enamal.

Last edited:
I got a similar reply at DLR this past weekend. I was pointing out to a CM that the border around the "Metal Mickey Heads" indicated they were stamped on the pin after the pin was stamped out of the base metal, indicating a fake/copied pin. The CM was huffy and said "Well we got those from our leads, and those are new pins"...I tried, but it seemed to be a lost cause on that CM. Sigh...

See, I would e-mail Disney, just on the grounds that a CM is in fact buying lots off of EBay which might have fakes and using those as pins that are being traded in store/park.

See, I would e-mail Disney, just on the grounds that a CM is in fact buying lots off of EBay which might have fakes and using those as pins that are being traded in store/park.

oh i will be mentioning this as well lol i just need to know were to send this wonderful email as the last one i sent did not get a response.

Please feel free to use our email address tips@disneyantipiracy.com or our Antipiracy voice mail hotline, 818-560-3300, if you want to provide more information about the suspected infringement or to report a suspected infringement in the future.

Very truly yours,

Antipiracy Group, Corporate Legal

The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-0527

Send it there

Hi moo!

I think this is just an error by the CM. I also believe that some of the CMs in my local stores are guilty of the same thing.. Who does it and wether they know if it is wrong are hard questions to answer.

Did they return a pin to you for the Dalmation one? Or did you keep it to prohibit it from re-entering circulation?

Martin :)

I kept the pin, why make up lies though about it being an older viynalmation and unfortunatly there is still a fake one on there :(

OK, When it comes to Vinylmations I can say I am a self proclaimed expert and that pin is a total counterfeit.
NOT A SCRAPPER, a counterfeit. Absolutely no doubt.
BOTTOM LINE!

(wow, a short bottom line post from Dan)

Seriously this happens all the time. I went up to a cast member over the Holiday of Christmas time and asked to trade for a Vinylmation.

The cast member then told me, it was more than likely a fake but would trade it. She even showed me why she thought it was a fake, which was the border, as shown on the Dalmatian one on this thread.

Then when I recently went back two weeks ago, I was trading in the CM books in Frontierland and the CM took my pin, turned it over and reviewed it before taking it. (Not the one I got over Christmas time) I asked if there was a problem. She said no but wanted to make sure they were getting a "good" pin for one of theirs. I then said, well I just got that off another cast member so I am sure it is fine.

Wow! is all I can say.

I asked if there was a problem. She said no but wanted to make sure they were getting a "good" pin for one of theirs. I then said, well I just got that off another cast member so I am sure it is fine.

Wow! is all I can say.
That is a FABULOUS response and quite whitty too :) I was QUITE surprised of the "lack" of quality pins on the lanyards over my QUICK visit to DLR this weekend. It is quite disheartening to know and see how many "non-official" (using that as all inclusive word) on the lanyards.

I was glad to not see many scrapper pins while at DLRP, as it was mainly store bought pins on most of the CM's lanyards..there were a small few on the pin board and that was down to some of the french traders but there really wasnt that many which was a good thing.

I have stopped trading with the cast members at UK stores, as most of what they have does seem to be scrapped/fake. On one of my visits a UK cast member told me that they have a lady that comes round to the stores on a regular basis with an enormous bag of pins, to replenish the lanyards for them. I was also told that the cast members have to pay for the pins themselves, one cast member told me she didnt buy or trade pins because they were just too expensive. So the first thing that went through my mind was that the cast members could be responsible for the fakes/scrappers.

I was glad to not see many scrapper pins while at DLRP, as it was mainly store bought pins on most of the CM's lanyards..there were a small few on the pin board and that was down to some of the french traders but there really wasnt that many which was a good thing.

Thats good to hear Danny as my 15 year old daughter is in DLRP as we speak with some of my traders. I was seriously worried she was going to come home with a pocket full of scrappers- I will have to wait until Friday to see how she gets on :x:

I have stopped trading with the cast members at UK stores, as most of what they have does seem to be scrapped/fake. On one of my visits a UK cast member told me that they have a lady that comes round to the stores on a regular basis with an enormous bag of pins, to replenish the lanyards for them. I was also told that the cast members have to pay for the pins themselves, one cast member told me she didnt buy or trade pins because they were just too expensive. So the first thing that went through my mind was that the cast members could be responsible for the fakes/scrappers.

The lanyards are the stores we don't have our own lanyards and we can't wear our own. The lanyard all started with cast lanyard exclusives. No body comes round with a bag to replenish them. Accepting scrappers is a difficult thing for one not everyone is up on their pins and it's hard to say no to
some because without another to compare to you can't proove it's fake even if your really doubting it. The rule here is if it says copyright Disney we have to accept it, even the old kodak euro ones and even then old home video ones. Some people don't even know their trading scrappers and they could get upset if we say no because they don't understand what the difference is, and the guest alwaysss comes first. Its really tricky. I've stood and explained the differnces to people before with the outline etc. But like I said without knowing exactly where the pins from eg bought in store we can't be 100% sure what's real and not. I think we need images of backs of pins to show people what's real and not then everyone will know :) even if cm don't collect pins they'll have images to look at. I mean cm can't know everything they do hve their weaker points, like the little cars loads of people collect I'm so bad with them! I don't hardly know anything I can only remember a few names :)

Originally posted by Fly_with_me_dumbo
The lanyards are the stores we don't have our own lanyards and we can't wear our own. The lanyard all started with cast lanyard exclusives. No body comes round with a bag to replenish them.

I have only repeated what a cast member told me in store.

Originally posted by Fly_with_me_dumbo
Accepting scrappers is a difficult thing for one not everyone is up on their pins and it's hard to say no to some because without another to compare to you can't proove it's fake even if your really doubting it. The rule here is if it says copyright Disney we have to accept it, even the old kodak euro ones and even then old home video ones. Some people don't even know their trading scrappers and they could get upset if we say no because they don't understand what the difference is, and the guest alwaysss comes first. Its really tricky. I've stood and explained the differnces to people before with the outline etc. But like I said without knowing exactly where the pins from eg bought in store we can't be 100% sure what's real and not

I totally understand and appreciate your situation, its difficult for everyone to be sure, even for seasoned traders. Unfortunately, with the system as it is, it drives away serious traders.

Thats good to hear Danny as my 15 year old daughter is in DLRP as we speak with some of my traders. I was seriously worried she was going to come home with a pocket full of scrappers- I will have to wait until Friday to see how she gets on :x:

Ditto that Donna - there were a "limited" amount of scrappers but with the expert knowledge of fellow DPF'ers etc these were easily avoided by yours truly!

The lanyards are the stores we don't have our own lanyards and we can't wear our own. The lanyard all started with cast lanyard exclusives. No body comes round with a bag to replenish them. Accepting scrappers is a difficult thing for one not everyone is up on their pins and it's hard to say no to
some because without another to compare to you can't proove it's fake even if your really doubting it. The rule here is if it says copyright Disney we have to accept it, even the old kodak euro ones and even then old home video ones. Some people don't even know their trading scrappers and they could get upset if we say no because they don't understand what the difference is, and the guest alwaysss comes first. Its really tricky. I've stood and explained the differnces to people before with the outline etc. But like I said without knowing exactly where the pins from eg bought in store we can't be 100% sure what's real and not. I think we need images of backs of pins to show people what's real and not then everyone will know :) even if cm don't collect pins they'll have images to look at. I mean cm can't know everything they do hve their weaker points, like the little cars loads of people collect I'm so bad with them! I don't hardly know anything I can only remember a few names :)

And that goes for all CM's regardless - they have to accept the trade - unless CM's walk around with a laptop & check each pin at each trade then they are not going to know!

Maybe Dan & others will agree that any pin with a border on the back is counterfeit (suggestion before you shoot me down!) - how about a "Counterfeit" reference list - DLP CM's have a card they look at before trading so how about UK CM's???

Maybe Dan & others will agree that any pin with a border on the back is counterfeit (suggestion before you shoot me down!) - how about a "Counterfeit" reference list - DLP CM's have a card they look at before trading so how about UK CM's???

Sadly we're now seeing totally authentic DSF pins having outlines on the back at times. ;_; Who knows which authentic pins will have borders in the future. So annoying...

Sadly we're now seeing totally authentic DSF pins having outlines on the back at times. ;_; Who knows which authentic pins will have borders in the future. So annoying...

Yeah exactly it's very difficult it's just a risk when trading :( maybe we should just all check the back ask to look before we decide to
trade it's easier :) if we say no we'll only upset people and get complaints and then we'll just be told to have done it because no one wants a sad guest. It's very difficult imean really stupid obvious ones I will say no because we'll never get rid of them. I have a few scrappers myself in my collection I've swapped for but
I like them and won't trade them back lol.
I've had some verrry dodgy trades in dlrp because I haven't
looked properly some unbelivabley bad ancient pins lol
and what's more annyoing is when they turn me down because they don't like the character I have or that silly size for size thing they say in the parks!! Just made up rules!! Greer

Last edited:
I think disney should have someone go through the pins at the end of the day or something and get rid of the scappers/counterfits from the CM lanyards. I know they couldnt get them all but the real obvious ones at least. That way their pin traders dont have to worry as much about fakes and it would get a lot out of circulation. Idk maybe it wouldnt be as easy as it sounds....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back