• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Doll Collectors: tired of price gouging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doll Collectors: tired of price gouging?

jrsinger78

jrsinger78
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I know people will always be greedy and try to squeeze as much out of something they're selling as possible, but come on! It's getting sickening. I've asked around and checked on eBay....Designer princess dolls going for $400-$10,000?!?! Seriously? And people actually dish that out for a $99.50 doll...? And forget about the 17"! I love Snow White so much but thinking of paying $1,000+ for one doll makes me nearly sick. I have run across a few generous sellers who are very fair, but for the most part it's really sad to me. At those prices, who can collect? Times are tough - $500 for a doll is a little ridiculous.

I agree as it does make it hard or those who really are collectors, but at the same time people can argue that if you were a real collector you would have known about the dolls during the release and bought one then so it just ends up as a big cycle of who is to blame. When it comes down to it, it really is just supply and demand so I am not surprised that the dolls have appreciated in value and whilst I am amazed at the prices they have reached it also means that the dolls that I have, really are limited and are well worth the money I paid for them.

Yeah that's the worst. I don't like that there are people out there who are willing to spend that much money because they're just feeding into these sellers. When the designer dolls first came out and I saw someone pay $1000 for the D23 exclusive Cinderella one I was like whoa! I do think that the recent dolls like the designer villains and even the Lady Tremaine doll aren't going for as much, which I think is both a lesson to the Disney Store (to stop selling so many dolls at the same time) but also to these sellers who were willing to spend all that money just to not make that much of a profit since the DS made so many of the villain dolls. I feel like I lost my passion to collect more of the limited edition dolls because of the memories I had from 2011 lol. I remember going to class when I could have easily ditched to go to the DS to get my Designer Pocahontas doll but deciding to be a good boy (>.<) and getting her online the next day and failing. I was late for work trying to get Pocahontas. Luckily a friend of mine sold one to me at $115 which is still a lot but better than what ebay sellers sell her or the others for! totally did not reread this message to edit for grammar lol I just get angry when i think about it.

Don't get me wrong i definitely agree with you in that the selling these items for so much more is ludicrous. I really wanted the Limited Edition Rapunzel Gallery print but the person on eBay was selling it at a 700% mark up. I was so shocked and I begged the seller (Who is in the UK to sell it at a reasonable price £100 instead of £300, note that the item was originally £50) but they refused so I never got it. But when I raised a comment about it here on the forum I was told by one forum member that i was being negative for bringing it up so I stopped talking about it but I really was upset about it and thought the seller was being ruthless.

No arguments here. It is an awful and discouraging thing, but it is also not a new trend in the wide world of collectibles. :( Just keep your eye out, because good deals do come along. The Disney Store collectible dolls are a hot ticket now, largely due to the mess of the release of the Designer Princess dolls. Hopefully the 2012 doll overload will help cool that off for future releases. The dolls from 2011 and before, however, may take some time to go down to any sort of "reasonable" price for the most part. But you never know: a fortuitous windfall is always possible!

No arguments here. It is an awful and discouraging thing, but it is also not a new trend in the wide world of collectibles. :( Just keep your eye out, because good deals do come along. The Disney Store collectible dolls are a hot ticket now, largely due to the mess of the release of the Designer Princess dolls. Hopefully the 2012 doll overload will help cool that off for future releases. The dolls from 2011 and before, however, may take some time to go down to any sort of "reasonable" price for the most part. But you never know: a fortuitous windfall is always possible!

I agree there are some good deals when you are patient. I bought LE Designer Rapunzel just before christmas on Ebay for the amount of GBP 70.00 which I'm really chuffed about. It's sad that there are people out there who just buy the dolls to get more money for it. It's not justifyable imo to see a doll go from its initial price GBP 50 to almost 200 and more pounds in just over a year. I'd keep my eyes open on ebay if I were you, and check back regularly and just cross your fingers that Disney is going to re-release the princesses in the near future :).

I'd keep my eyes open on ebay if I were you, and check back regularly and just cross your fingers that Disney is going to re-release the princesses in the near future :).

I highly doubt that they would re-release the princess designer dolls as that would defeat the purpose of them being limited edition and Disney would lose their credibility of the limited edition doll. The way Disney would capitalise on the limited edition dolls would be to continue releasing dolls on other disney characters and continuing the designer line with other characters such as heroines or princes. (But this is limited so I don't see the designer collections continuing too much longer and disney may change it to something different when they run out of ideas for designer characters).

If Disney were to release a second round of princess designer dolls they would have to distinguish it somehow from the first line that has gone through. Be it a different look, or indicate on the COA that it is a 2nd edition or re-run edition.

I agree, I would really love the Snow White doll to go with my Evil Queen but it's just too much for me right now. I sometimes check on other sites to see if people local to me are selling for a more reasonable price but no luck yet :(

I've actually found a few great sellers since I started this post, asking under $200!! Great to see some honest folks out there ;)

I too am really tired of people asking insane prices for these dolls... I am definitely willing to negotiate, but these prices are soooo not feasible for me at all :( I would love to find a Mulan Designer doll in the UK under £150... I know she is one of the cheapest in the US! :lol: Also, 17 inch Snow White... don't even get me started :lol:

If people are willing to pay the asking price, the price will stay insanely high.

However, I'm willing to bet that there will be another round of dolls sometime in the future. They probably will look a little different, but I really don't think Disney wouldn't do designer dolls for the princesses ever again. There's clearly demand for them.

If people are willing to pay the asking price, the price will stay insanely high.
People do, because they want to have it now rather than wait. I waited and got Designer Rapunzel for £30 last year.

I tend to laugh at the absurd prices then ignore it. If you want to pay silly prices then go ahead, these dolls won't even be worth that much in future.

meerkat.jpg

Don't get me wrong i definitely agree with you in that the selling these items for so much more is ludicrous. I really wanted the Limited Edition Rapunzel Gallery print but the person on eBay was selling it at a 700% mark up. I was so shocked and I begged the seller (Who is in the UK to sell it at a reasonable price £100 instead of £300, note that the item was originally £50) but they refused so I never got it. But when I raised a comment about it here on the forum I was told by one forum member that i was being negative for bringing it up so I stopped talking about it but I really was upset about it and thought the seller was being ruthless.

You're entitled to your opinion! :) Ignore the naysayers that say you're being negative about it.

It is discouraging, but always remember to go the extra mile. Message sellers that are selling some dolls, and ask if they have any more for sale. That's how I got my 17" LE Snow White for only $200. Express that you're a collector, and that you'll appreciate and cherish the doll. Sellers may be collectors themselves, and will understand you and sympathize with you. Also, don't be afraid to give them advice on where to sell their items, or how much for (if they're selling too low, or have the listing words mixed up). You can be rewarded for your honesty and helpfulness!
Not all sellers are evil! :wiggle: I promise!! Great deals do come along, if you're patient, polite, and diligent. (I'm not saying those of you who haven't found deals aren't these things, so please don't take me wrong!).

People do, because they want to have it now rather than wait. I waited and got Designer Rapunzel for £30 last year.

I tend to laugh at the absurd prices then ignore it. If you want to pay silly prices then go ahead, these dolls won't even be worth that much in future.

meerkat.jpg

For real. I've seen LE Snow White 17" priced at upwards of $5000. It's a lovely doll, but that just seems ridiculous.

It is discouraging, but always remember to go the extra mile. Message sellers that are selling some dolls, and ask if they have any more for sale. That's how I got my 17" LE Snow White for only $200. Express that you're a collector, and that you'll appreciate and cherish the doll. Sellers may be collectors themselves, and will understand you and sympathize with you. Also, don't be afraid to give them advice on where to sell their items, or how much for (if they're selling too low, or have the listing words mixed up). You can be rewarded for your honesty and helpfulness!
Not all sellers are evil! :wiggle: I promise!! Great deals do come along, if you're patient, polite, and diligent. (I'm not saying those of you who haven't found deals aren't these things, so please don't take me wrong!).

I watch your YouTube channel... Please show us Snow White!!

Lol same here! It's a little frustrating because I would love to know what number mine is but she is sealed :(.

the Buzz and Woody LE doll has seals too.

I honestly don't know how people can even ask for some of these prices, I would be so embarassed. I'd love a LE Snow White but I would never ever pay $1,000 for her, not even if I won the lottery, lol!

The seals on mine had been previously opened on mine, seeing as the original owner's daughter decided to take Snow's bird off of her hand! Luckily the doll, the box, and the bird are all in perfect condition. So seeing as the seals were broken, I decided to take a look at the #! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back