• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DPF 10th Anniversary - Bonus Giveaway #3 - WINNERS POSTED ON #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
DPF 10th Anniversary - Bonus Giveaway #3 - WINNERS POSTED ON #4

Booger1964

Super Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
330   0   0
Time for another BONUS giveaway to say Happy 10th anniversary DPF!

The Rules to enter are simple:

1. Must be a member of the DPF; and
2. Must be willing to send me your address so I may ship a prize to you.

How to enter:

Tell us what got you started with Disney pin collecting.

I started in 2003 when taking my first trip to Walt Disney World with my family where we saw other people trading with cast members and decided to try it ourselves. After a stay at the park, the trading continued on a Disney cruise and my kids each received a best pin trader award button from the crew. They really opened up to the guests and cast members through the trading experience! After that we were all hooked and began going to group trading meets in New Jersey and then expanded from there. It has been a great hobby in which we have met so many great people (with many being on this forum). So, thank you all and happy 10th anniversary fellow forum members!

Prizes:

There will be three GRAND PLACE PRIZE winners (#1 through #3), two SECOND PLACE winners (#4 and #5), two THIRD PLACE winners (#6 and #7) and three CONSOLATION PRIZE winners (#8 through #10).

A moderator will run a random generator to select the winners. #1 through #3
are grand prize winners and may make their selection of one pin from the grand prize choices in the order they were chosen, #4 and #5 are the 2nd place winners and may make their choice of one pin from the 2nd place prize choices, #6 and #7 are the 3rd place winners and may make their choice of one pin from the 3rd place prize choices, and #8 through #10 are consolation prize winners and may make their choice of one pin from the consolation pin prizes in the order they were chosen.

GRAND PRIZE CHOICES

l11mLek.jpg

2cFiIDF.jpg

YCtc6Z6.jpg

Pinpics numbers:
Prize one choice: #82040 Deluxe Lanyard Starter Set (chosen by stitchismyspiritanimal); or
Prize two choice: #130603, #132291, #133706, #135055 - all 4 Marvel 10th Anniversary set (pincrazy prize by what is left:); or
Prize three choice: Artland Princess & Friends Pocahontas LE 150 pin (not on pinpics yet)(chosen by Gelatoni)

SECOND PLACE CHOICES

rHYF6LA.jpg

Pinpics numbers:
#139875 Stitch National Space Day;
Guardians of the Galaxy Monsters after Dark (not on pinpics yet);
#139811 Tangled 10th Anniversary;
#140046 Pin of the Month Scents Fozzi Bear (chosen by mybabykelly);
#139957 Lady & Tramp 65th (chosen by Randakinskywalker)
;
Lamplight Lounge Miguel (not on pinpics yet);
#139797 Rise of the Resistance Chewbacca; or
#139842 Little Mermaid Cereal Box

THIRD PLACE CHOICES

kHBfOAT.jpg

Pinpics numbers: #131854 DLP Mulan Parasol;
#130988 DLP Pascal;
#122223 DLP Alice Emoji Set;
DLP Slinky (not on pinpics yet);
#132986 DLP Vanellope;
#133378 DLP Stitch Ice Cream;
#133760 DLP Ratatouille (chosen by Pibbma); or
#134867 DLP Simba Silly Face (chosen by CanaDaLe)

CONSOLATION PRIZES

KvvpIh7.jpg

HP3zDIR.jpg

Pinpics numbers:
#76194 Chip & Dale 10 Year Pin Trading Anniversary Chaser (chosen by Rick195275);
#79196 Pluto 10 Year Chaser;
#76200 Donald 10 Year Chaser;
#76193 Tinker Bell 10 Year Chaser; or
#78692 Minnie 10 Year Pin (non chaser).

The game will end at 3PM PST/6PM EST on Friday, August 21st.

Good luck to all and may the stories begin!

Last edited:
Entry list:

1) Starry-Solo
2) Bcol
3) Mcgilligan
4) Rick195275
5) mybabykelly
6) pincrazy
7) stratasfan
8) Gelatoni
9) bingandnelsonfan
10) brattyjedi
11) stitchismyspiritanimal
12) curiousdinah
13) theoucharis
14) MischiefMade
15) CanaDaLe
16) akarih
17) Tonka Toy
18) Summerskin
19) Pibbman
20) Pecosace
21) sbmpins
22) Connies_Hobby
23) fuzzybunny
24) nateeter
25) EvilSleep
26) wonderbywonder
27) Randakinskywalker

Last edited:
Tell us what got you started with Disney pin collecting.

I started in 2008, after I had my annual pass to DLR for the past year (this go around). I saw cast members trading with guests and guests trading with other guests. I hurried up and bought a lot off ebay....back when I didn't know about scrappers, but I was getting pins back then for $2-2.50 each and the seller said that after 10 pins, there would be duplicates.

Back then, scrappers were very very good quality. They were glossy like regular pins, not matted and not overly glossy (this is me remembering how they were). I didn't learn about scrappers for a year or two, when I started researching trading online. I just figured the sellers had overstock!

So, back in 2008, there would be monthly hidden mickey releases (as well as the gift with purchase releases). We would go around trading our pins for the new hidden mickeys, stand in line at Westward Ho to trade with the cast members at the barrels, and also trade with guests at the barrels. Guests wanted the new hidden mickeys and were willing to trade rack pins for them, it was like, AMAZING!

Some pins must have been clearanced out or just cheap, cuz I remember picking up the Great Movie Moments pins off cast member lanyard and the Mickey and Minnie dressed as Disney couples off lanyards too. Those were the days. I think my first foray into trading online was through PinPics and then Dizpins. I joined Dizpins months before they closed :(

Here's my story, and it's not a good start. (you know it had to be a story, right?) My first experience was at Disneyland in 1976 after a harrowing day going to Mexico by mistake and trying to get back into the US and stopped at the border -*"Son, why did you just cross and come back so soon? Was there something you had to pick up? Why don't you stay over here in this building and we're just gonna have to check every inch of your car out"* After several hours of questioning they let me go. That was the day of my first trip to Disney. I finally got back to Anaheim, paid, went in and was told they were closing in an hour and a half. Not my best first impression of the place. I don't think they had pins back then, let alone metal:p. I later made one trip to Disneyworld as it was still under construction, but what really hooked me was my girls. Many of you know they were both adopted from China several years apart. But everybody know every toddler wants to be a princess and mine picked Mulan. That was it. My fate was sealed. The first pin was bought at WDW was this -
Pin 22739 WDW - Princess Premiere Birthstone (Mulan/July)
Now I know sisters never fight but I decided to have a double collection just in case it had to get divided up. I tried for years but I finally gave up on that idea last December because of the flood of pins. They still fight, and I still collect. I like the pins but I love (most of) the people I have met through trading. I also made some friends through CJDPT but DPF'ers are a wonderful breed entirely. What was this post about again?

067aac5301a06775173c15c52bc2b375.jpg

It was 2004 and I went to Disneyland with a group of friends during president’s day weekend. Most of us live around San Francisco. I had not been to Disneyland since I was a teenager. My friends asked me “what do you want to do?” My response was that “I have not been here in 10 years, show me what I need to see.” I was in my mid-20s at the time.

We each received a complimentary lanyard and two identical pins. I kept one and traded the other for a Black Cauldron pin, which I still have. I was hooked! I went to Disneyland once or twice a year until 2010. Late 2007/early 2008 I start buying pins through disneyshopping.com. I LOVED the semi-annual sale they had on pins (August and February if memory serves me correct), I still have traders left over from these days.

I was able to get my wife to start pin trading. Now with young ones that we have adopted we are saving for our first trip to Disneyland as a bigger family (which is at times easier and harder during the pandemic). I hope that they enjoy pin trading as much as their parents.

Great idea for a game! Love hearing how everyone started.
We became collectors in April of 2017 on our trip to Disney world. We wanted souvenirs and decided on a couple pins. My daughter 6 at the time was hooked after her first purchase. Oddly enough it was a Marie pin, a movie she hasn’t seen and she’s a dog kid not a cat kid ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We didn’t really learn about the trading part until we returned in April 2018. Once my daughter realized she could trade with cast members that was it for us. We spent more time pin trading than anything else that trip. We have been pin traders ever since :)

Oooh fun stories all around! Fun reading everyone’s “origin story” per say. I actually started pin trading because my little sister started pin trading. We became annual passholders for the first time in 2008 when my little sister was 8. My dad bought her a princess pin lanyard set and she was hooked. To be quite honest, I eyerolled at the thought of spending 30 bucks on pieces of metal. Haha now I don’t even blink when I buy a $100 grail. Oh how the addiction progresses :p

And as much as I despised the price of these shiny pieces of metal, my little sister is a princess to me and I’d do anything for her. So anytime we went to the parks I’d try to buy her a new pin or trade for one she really wanted. It was definitely our bonding activity and we have many fun memories together because of it. Obviously throughout our adventures I started collecting too and got more comfortable spending money on metal. Very. Expensive. Metal.

My little sister doesn’t collect anymore, but I always get a kick when she enjoys seeing my collection/traders and she’ll ask if she can keep one. Makes me miss all the fun times we had.

Thank you for this fun, nostalgic bonus game. Made me a lil teary-eyed thinking back that far!

Great Bonus Game, Great memoeies, makes Good Times!
Thank you Booger 1964:stitch:

I'm guessing my habit(oops hobby) started in 1985 during Disneyland's anniversary giveaway! Each time you entered they gave you a pin! Since we had an AP, that accounted for the collecting to complete the set. After that I mostly found buttons that were sold, and only found pins for major events/holidays.
Unfortunately I didn't get into trading till 2009 with CMs which really changed my perspective on pins! That's when I found out what I had been missing over the years, and all the wonderful pins I didn't Get!:stitch:

Our entrance into pin trading started about two and half years ago now. However, since 2000, friends and family had been giving us pins as presents for one holiday or event or another thing! So we had a variety of Disney pins, but didn't know about trading or ever had traded. We haven't been to a Disney park in about 20 years ago. However, about 2 1/2 years ago, our Gramma took us to Disney Springs while we were down there visiting her (she described it so that we envisioned a strip mall of Disney-themed stores ---- were we shocked when we arrived and were told that from where we entered, it would be a 7 minute solid walk to the World of Disney store! Well, we saw pins during that afternoon, and Sis and I saw the super cute reversible Chip and Dale lanyards. We went back to gramma's and ordered them so that they'd be home by the time we flew back. Then we bought a lot of C&D pins to start . . . and when we went back to visit Gramma months later . . . we were armed with all our pins! Now, whenever we visit Gramma, we go with every pin we have, other than the absolute keepers (which are growing more and more these days!).

I started around a month or so after getting my Hong Kong Disneyland Magic Access pass. Given how small the park is and how frequently I went, it didn't take long till I was searching for something new to do. So I bought a bunch of mystery pins and starter sets to trade in the parks. After another month or so, I began to line up for LEs on release day and stumbled my way into the forum to get more connected to the pin trading community on the other side of the Pacific.

Our entrance into pin trading started about two and half years ago now. However, since 2000, friends and family had been giving us pins as presents for one holiday or event or another thing! So we had a variety of Disney pins, but didn't know about trading or ever had traded. We haven't been to a Disney park in about 20 years ago. However, about 2 1/2 years ago, our Gramma took us to Disney Springs while we were down there visiting her (she described it so that we envisioned a strip mall of Disney-themed stores ---- were we shocked when we arrived and were told that from where we entered, it would be a 7 minute solid walk to the World of Disney store! Well, we saw pins during that afternoon, and Sis and I saw the super cute reversible Chip and Dale lanyards. We went back to gramma's and ordered them so that they'd be home by the time we flew back. Then we bought a lot of C&D pins to start . . . and when we went back to visit Gramma months later . . . we were armed with all our pins! Now, whenever we visit Gramma, we go with every pin we have, other than the absolute keepers (which are growing more and more these days!).

Obviously, my start is the same as this . . . but a little extra info. After spotting those Chip & Dale lanyards that were so cute, we talked to our cousin (Kelly). She's like "you didn't know all those Disney pins are good for trading??" We were up WAY late that night talking to her about pin trading, and she brought up her container of pins and we all sorted through them. Since then, we all go pin trading when we go down there. She and our Aunt had not been really serious about pin trading 'til then, and now they are totally crazy about it. In fact, they go to Disney Springs to trade and look at available pins, and they send us photos while they're there. It's a fun thing to do as a group, and it's been fun getting to do something like this with our aunt and cousin. Kelly is into drama, and her grail pin is the comedy mask from the set of comedy tragedy masks with Mickey ears, so we're always all on the lookout when together. It's all this fun that inspired the big doll pin-trading set up and photos that we did earlier this Summer.

My family used to have a bunch of pins in sets in cases that I think came when you bought special movie releases at the local Disney Store back in the mid 90s before pin trading in the parks was really a thing (I think). Sadly my parents house has flooded twice (they have since moved) and those pins were rusted and destroyed beyond hope of recovery in one of the floods.

Then there were a few trips to Disney World that included picking up the random pin here or there. I can't remember for sure which pin was bought first - it was either a Figment pin or three Mr. Potatohead pins as Star Wars characters (Artoo, Vader, and Stormtrooper) and my sister picked me up a Donald Duck as a candy apple Halloween pin on her honeymoon. I didn't really know what to do with these few random pins though. I didn't see the point in wearing a lanyard around the park and the whole trading thing and I hadn't figured out any good display method for at home.

In Summer 2018 my then boyfriend now husband and I went on a 9-night Disney Cruise to Alaska with lots of my family. You basically need to wear a lanyard on the ships to keep track of your key so we suddenly had someplace to display pins and on such a long cruise we had a few days at sea without getting off ship. While there is TONS to do on the ship, as long as you are moving around from place to place, you might as well keep your eye out for lanyards or even guests' rooms with unofficial trading boards up outside, or at least it seemed that way to us. We fell into pin trading hard and fast on that cruise and came off that ship with SO MANY PINS and learned so much about the how to trade, about pins with purchases, about Hidden Mickeys, about the special Officers Pin Trading Night on cruises, etc. It was amazing and we already knew that after that summer trip with MY family we were doing a Christmas trip to Disney World with HIS family and couldn't wait to try pin trading in the parks, which turned out to be just as much fun in some of the same ways and some different.

So, two years ago we were at a Disney store and saw an Animator boxed set that was on sale. It looked nice, so we decided to pick it up. I was so curious about the set, that I spent that night doing a ton of research online, and found the Mulan boxed set that had come out previously on shopdisney. I really wanted that Mulan set, so I figured that I might be able to trade an Animator set for it, and the store had an extra one, so we went back the next day, and picked up the second one. Doing that laid the groundwork for buying pins from various sources, and eventually trading online. Unfortunately, I have only traded a few times in person, so I haven't had many of the personal interactions that so many of you have experienced, but maybe one day that will happen. In the meantime, I look forward to future opportunities to create lasting friendships with my DPF family on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Great Bonus Game, Great memoeies, makes Good Times!
Thank you Booger 1964:stitch:

I'm guessing my habit(oops hobby) started in 1985 during Disneyland's anniversary giveaway! Each time you entered they gave you a pin! Since we had an AP, that accounted for the collecting to complete the set. After that I mostly found buttons that were sold, and only found pins for major events/holidays.
Unfortunately I didn't get into trading till 2009 with CMs which really changed my perspective on pins! That's when I found out what I had been missing over the years, and all the wonderful pins I didn't Get!:stitch:
What did that set look like? The one from 1985.

I love hearing everyone’s stories!

In 2013 I was researching WDW as I had not been to WDW since 1992 and my last Disney trip was to
Disneyland was around 1997. We had moved from the west coast to the east coast and I talked my sister into a WDW trip. I was doing research when I came across the idea of pin trading and found this sight. I am notoriously introverted but from my reading it sounded like pin trading with cast members was easy for everyone so I decided to give it a try. Well, we got WDW and it was even more fun than I imagined. I loved the thrill of the hunt and found the cast members to be super friendly. I also had good luck, coming home with several pins for my newly forming Alice and Stitch collections and a short lived Mickey Heads Collection. This site has allowed me to continue trading and keep up with pins when not In the parks. I love having something to keep me connected to Disney year round.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories.

I don't know how many times I have been to WDW and DLR, but the first trip we took to WDW after my daughter was born, my brother and nieces also came. They collect and trade, so they had lanyards, and explained to me how you can trade with CMs. So we bought some "souvenir" pins to set up for my daughter to trade when she got older. We did also order some from eBay, which I later learned would have been scrappers. But about 3 years or so ago, we went to a CJDPT weekend trading event, and we saw what serious collections and trading was like. We marveled at how nicely most people (unfortunately not all people) treated my daughter in her attempts at trading the small number of pins we had brought with us. We both loved it, and I came home to learn more and to be better prepared with LEs and other traders, not just OEs. We have since grown our collection and have enjoyed our interactions with members here. And now my nieces marvel at our collection.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

What did that set look like? The one from 1985.
Sorry for the late response. The pins were of each land/theme area, some had duplicate designs, Frontierland had 2 due to the 1st had a pointed end so it needed a redesign for protection.
The PP#s
569 Main Street, 1362/1191 Frontierland, 1363 Tomorrowland,
1190/2395 New Orleans, 1188 Bear Country, 1187 Adventureland, 1189 Fantasyland, 1279 Mickey (not handed out as often, it was every 300th guest(I think)) The prize tickets were handed out at the turnstile as you entered, with a special ticket for every 30th guest, but everyone got something for entering, most were awarded the pins.:stitch:
Hope this helps

My story starts in the distant past of 2018. It had been my ambition for a long time to experience the magic that is called the Haunted Mansion Holiday, ever since the ultimate collectors edition of Nightmare Before Christmas contained a documentary on the making of the overlay and a ride through, but I hadn't quite gotten there yet. My mother and I started planning our trip for 2018 and we decided that the best place to go at that time was Las Vegas (not that we are gamblers, but it's safe enough for two women to travel alone, and has a variety of restaurants, shopping malls, and entertainment) in early October. Knowing that it was my dream to see the overlay, and knowing that the Haunted Mansion would be transformed by that point, my dear, sweet, amazing mother insisted on taking me to Disneyland for just one day, to see the attraction of my dreams.

We won't talk about most of this, other than the fact that the Haunted Mansion Holiday was AMAZING and I can't wait to see it again (Fingers Crossed for November of 2021), but we walked in to Adventureland and noticed racks and racks full of pins. We had no idea what it even was, but as the day wore on we started to notice people wearing lanyards with their pins proudly displayed. I also asked a Cast Member how this whole "Pin Trading" thing worked, and though they acted very annoyed that I would ask about such a thing, they still explained to me exactly how trading with Cast Members and store pin boards worked. I started to scour the racks for Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier pins (which they don't actually have any OE pins of Bucky which is disappointing, but I ended up getting one of those leather bracelets with "Bucky" carved on it and a star charm so I did eventually get my Bucky Souvenir which I had been searching for since the Avenger's Station at the Treasure Island Hotel in Vegas), but I did find one Haunted Mansion pin on the racks that I ended up buying. Then all the way across the park I noticed the 25th Anniversary Nightmare Before Christmas Limited Edition pins in Tomorrowland and picked up one of Zero....and then we came home. By March I had joined this forum, and started down a very slippery slope.

And that's the end of my story that comes up to today. It's hard to believe that even though I am so new to this I've made some amazing friends and had the opportunity to be involved with the truly kind, generous, and awe inspiring people that make up this forum. I want to take this chance to thank not only you @Booger1964, but also all the other people who have been running these games for us!

Last edited:
Our family started pin trading/collecting in 2004, not heavily only when we were at Disneyland. It was something we could do together while at the parks and at home, trying to find a gem on ebay. My husbands first pin was 26376 and my sons was Max (not listed on pinpics) - Goofy's son, which he promptly lost while either waiting in line or on King Triton's Carousel - to be honest I can't remember mine I was more about the hidden mickeys back then. My best memories are of watching my son and husband spotting a cast member wearing a lanyard and trying to be beat each other to be the first to trade with them.

My husband and I still enjoy collecting and can't wait to bring our grandson (due in September) to Disney and start him collecting these amazing little pieces of metal.

Alrighty! In June of 2018 I picked up the Kingdom Keepers series in a Barnes and Noble which got me completely obsessed with the Disney parks. None of my family are huge Disney fans but I managed to convince them to let me plan us a trip to WDW in June of 2019. I did waaaaaay too much research and while watching a Disney Food Blog video on Youtube, discovered pin trading when the video narrator passively mentioned it. So naturally, I did an obsessive amount of research into Disney pins. I started off on Ebay, got a fair amount of scrappers before I discovered the Pinpics site and forum, and was recommended DPF by a friend on there. And so I came here to this wonderful community! In June 2019 I did my first official pin trading with a Cast Member in the Disney Parks and after a lot of changing collections it's all history from there!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late response. The pins were of each land/theme area, some had duplicate designs, Frontierland had 2 due to the 1st had a pointed end so it needed a redesign for protection.
The PP#s
569 Main Street, 1362/1191 Frontierland, 1363 Tomorrowland,
1190/2395 New Orleans, 1188 Bear Country, 1187 Adventureland, 1189 Fantasyland, 1279 Mickey (not handed out as often, it was every 300th guest(I think)) The prize tickets were handed out at the turnstile as you entered, with a special ticket for every 30th guest, but everyone got something for entering, most were awarded the pins.:stitch:
Hope this helps
Thank you. Those are really interesting.

I began pin trading by accident!

On our last day in the parks, in 2006 my brother-in-law found a pin on the ground at Epcot, and he gave it to me. It was a Minnie Mouse ballerina. It had no back, probably fell off someone's lanyard.

I knew nothing about pins except you could buy them in the shops.

When I got back to our resort, Pop Century, I saw a big board in the lobby and people were trading pins! I walked up and asked how it worked. A cast member explained. I took out the Minnie pin, which had been in my bag all day and traded it for this awesome 50 Years pin. The cast member was even nice enough to give me a pin back for it too!

And so, I caught the trading bug on my last night of our holiday! When I went back in 2007, I was more than ready to trade. Ever since, I have been hooked.

My 50 Years pin is still in the collection and will probably never be traded away!
b6a0097c2e6a18b7b2f5435dfd1a813a.jpg

Last edited:
I started pin trading when I was at the parks in 2000 and pin trading was still in it's first year or so. I was about 10 years old and at the time was obsessed with the Little Mermaid and Small World(I still love the ocean and It's A Small World so not much has changed). A women noticed me staring at the lanyards and pins and gave me a few pins to start trading with. My mom bought me a lanyard and I traded my little heart out that whole trip. I will say that adults were very generous with me when trading and many just gifted me the pin I wanted. That always stood out to me and makes me want to spread the magic they shared with me with the Disney pin community.

I traded pins on and off until I was in late high school every year or so when we made it down to Disneyland. I put my pins away and picked the hobby back up about four or five years ago when my husband and I got married and were planning our first trip together to Disneyland. I rediscovered the super fun hobby and the incredible community that goes along with it. Now, my husband, my daughter, and I all have our own collections and I am excited for our family to have a great way to share a hobby and for us to help be able to hopefully spread Disney magic.

I started pin trading in 2015 on my first trip to Disney with my husband. We wandered into the Trading Post and were amazed by the assortment of pins. We picked up a few pins thinking they would be a nice, cheap souvenir. Boy, was I wrong!
We were active for a while but life got busy and pins took a back seat. It wasn’t until our first trip with our son that I really became hooked. I wasn’t able to do many rides with the little one, so I found myself trading more. It was such a blast! The hunt of finding those new Hidden Mickeys really got me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back