• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

*FREE GAME!!!* Come Help Me Celebrate, Win A Pin and More!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
*FREE GAME!!!* Come Help Me Celebrate, Win A Pin and More!!

Dalamara

DPF Nut
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
So, I have a few things to celebrate right now... My birthday is next week, I will be in WDW in less than 2 weeks, AND I just passed my 2,000th post :eek2:... First, I want to thank you all... I have received so much kindness and friendship on this forum, in so little time, that it sometimes literally brings tears to my eyes. You have all also been helping me through some very rough times right now, whether you realize it or not, just by being your wonderful welcoming selves. So, what I would like to do, is offer a little free game, to everyone who would like to play. The winner will receive a pin, as well as some other Disney goodies. :D

Now for the rules... EVERYONE is welcome to play!!! I would like you to post what your favorite Disney movie is, and why... I want to hear/read your stories! What does your favorite Disney movie mean to you? You may post your stories up until Friday, May 17th, at midnight EST. At that point, I will post MY story, as well as the winner of this game. I will be picking the person who's story touches me the most. My Mom will also be reading the stories, and giving me her input... My Mom has a part in my Disney story ;).

Hope some of you will be interested, because I can't wait to start reading!!! :D

Ooh I think this is a wonderful idea for a contest. Thank you for having it.

There is a lot of Disney movies to choose from that I love but the one that I could say that is my favorite would have to be UP. I love the storyline and the personalities of all the different characters. The characters Carl and Ellie remind me of me and my husband and our relationship. My husband has been pretty much there for me whenever I need him and he comforts me when I have bad times. We both are young and have made a list like the adventure book on the places we would like to go and the things we would want to do and even though Carl does it by himself and carries on Ellie's wishes of finding Paradise Falls, we both know that we will stay forever devoted to one another. Another reason I like the movie is the fact that it is based on family too. Family is very important and even though Kevin has babies or Carl is grumpy we all stay and love together. I will always love this movie and it will always have a forever place in my heart.

this is super awesome!

My story kind of has sucky timing but it happens. So May is a hard month for me. My mother passed away on May 18, 2005, 2 days before her 42nd birthday on May 20th, and as you know mothers day is tomorrow. My twin sister and I were in 7th grade, and my little sister was in 2nd grade. She passed away from lung cancer. So it's like a lot of sadness packed into a few weeks. Well it kind of crept up on us with out much warning and a ton of Disney movies have the whole parent passing away aspect. One that is my favorite and in a way helps me feel better about everything is the lion king. Simba loses Mufasa, he's obviously upset about it, but eventually he is able to move on with his life and do some great things. This relates to my life a lot. Simba becomes king and after my mom died I kind of took it upon myself to take care of my sisters while my dad was trying to cope. I was the worry wart trying to make sure everyone had everything when we went on vacation or left for school and simba had to take over Mufasa's kingdom. I know thats kind of a stretch, but it helps me out and makes me feel good.

My mom was also a huge Disney fan. My parents went to Disney for their honeymoon back in 1990 and they loved it so much. We went for our first family trip in 2001 and were supposed to go in the summer of 2005, but my mother passed away sooner than expected. She would have loved to go again I'm sure. So it's hard for us to go back. I've gone 2 times since, but my dad wont go. It's too hard for him with all the memories of his honeymoon and our one family trip. But I hope that some day I can take my kids their and teach them the magic of Disney like my mom did to me. Her favorite character was Figment. She loved him and Pooh. I have her old Pooh sweatshirt that I wear sometimes.
She also gave me a stuffed pooh for my 1st bday and I still sleep with him every night.

Also recently it's gained a little more meaning. My boyfriends adoptive mom passed away unexpectedly the year before we met, September 1, 2009. She had a heart attack. So we both have lost parents. Tomorrow is a hard day for us and it's nice to have someone who is going through the same thing. he is also adopted, and in a way Simba is adopted by Timon and Pumba, at least for a little while. And he's the Simba to my Nala. haha corny I know, but it works! Can you feel the love tonight is one of our favorite songs as well and we try to live our lives with the motto Hakuna Matata, because we both have been through so much, that we need to try to forget about things and try to have fun sometimes.

so really any Disney movie is special to me and we've seen pretty much everyone thanks to my parents, but the Lion King holds a special place in my heart because of it's parallels to my life. And it's just a freaking great movie! But, like u my mother plays a role in my Disney story even if the story ended too soon.

Sorry this was a little rantish

Last edited:
Ooh, I love reading people’s stories!
Mine has got everything to do with Lion King.
I already knew some of the previous movies like “Beauty and the Beast”, “The Little Mermaid”, “Aladdin”, “The great mouse detective”, etc …

Somewhere in 1994, I think it was in May, our local TV station aired a “making of The Lion King”.
I was 10 at the time.
Something inside of me just told my dad he HAD to tape this. I never really knew why I wanted it so bad.
I didn’t watch it while it was on, but watched it from the VHS later, and suddenly a very young Jonathan Taylor Thomas appears, and I just fell in love with him *sigh* haha!
(for those who shouldn’t know: yes, he’s one of the “Home Improvement” kids, and young Simba’s voice)

The thing that also got my attention was the songs/music, even though they only showed a few seconds of each song, the African style and such was very much appealing to me.
I’ve been busy with music myself ever since I was 8, only instruments though, can’t carry a tune if I wanted too, lol.

Then finally in June 1994 when it was released in cinemas I got to see the Dutch version.
I think the Dutch Lion King version is one of the best Dutch dubs there is. The voices are all just perfect for each character.
At the end of 1994 I saw it again, with my parents in English. And it was still playing in 1995, and while my parents went to see The Mask, I wanted to see Lion King again, and saw it again in Dutch.

My childhood was a disaster. So were my teens, and well, right now, things aren’t so great eather (yet).
I remember being bullied in kindergarden, when I was only 4-5 years old. While at home I had quite a big mouth, in school I was very shy and quiet, I didn’t like many people around me, so I guess they thought because of that I made a good target.
I started my school (age 6-11) in an all boys-school. My parents were convinced it was the best choice for me, as my brother (3 years older) was also there, and could look out for me, which obviously, he didn’t.
Very hard for me, because the all girls-school was across the road, and I begged them to let me go there, but no.

That school was hell. I started in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] year there, in a class with 22 boys and me.
The leader of the pack was huge, older and taller then all the other kids, so most of them feared him and did whatever he did to not get bullied.
2 weeks things went perfectly fine, but then, for some reason this kid starts hating me, making fun of me for being a girl really.
Half of the class joined him, because they were scared probably he’d pick on them too if they didn’t join him.
I was 6 at the time … what was I supposed to do against so many boys?
I kept telling my teacher and my parents, nothing was done. The boys didn’t get a speech, neither were their parents ever informed that they made my life a living hell.

The next year 2 other girls came into my class, but I was already so scarred, that I was basicly the freak, and they were the cool ones!
Lion King came into my life when I was in my 6[SUP]th[/SUP] year (last year of junior high I think you can call it).
Thank God it did!
It did something to me, I can’t explain. I had no friends, and suddenly this movie was “my friend”.

Also, I thought myself English when I was 11, just by watching the movie over and over again (how bored can you be right? lol)

Then high school came (age 12-18/19), finally a class full of girls!
But again, I was already damaged so much from the previous years, it didn’t really matter anymore.
I was still the freak, the loner, didn’t have cable (well yeah, back in those days, if you didn’t had cable, you couldn’t discuss all the “cool” programs, yeah right …), and still no friends.
So again: Lion King
It’s then the collecting got serious, a year after the movie got released, I was 12.
I had a few CD’s already, about 6 (soundtracks and singles from the movie), and thank God they were CD’s, so they wouldn’t wear out like a cassette would, haha.

Keeping myself busy with Lion King, was like, being in another world, and it still feels like that sometimes.
Even though everything is stacked away in boxes, I have about 700 items, and sometimes I get all the boxes (I think I have about 20 boxes that contain 45L, so it’s quite a lot), put them around me, and I start looking in all the boxes, to see what stuff I got.
I just love looking at everything, and just being away from the real world for a little bit.

I always thought I would grow out of it, but when getting internet in 2003 it only became worse, lolz.
My first ex was like: more Lion King crap ??????? -_-
My 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] ex was very understanding, and even made sure he would find me stuff.
My boyfriend now, isn’t that happy about it, but that’s more because of the size of my collection now, haha, but he understands what it means to me.

I still have a very long way to go, I’m in therapy *again*, but the best therapy for me still is, being busy with Lion King.

If it wasn’t Lion King in 1994, would it have been another movie maybe? I’m not sure, there is no other movie I’m this obsessed about.
I am glad it happened though, because looking back on my life, I don’t think I would have made it through all those years if I didn’t have Lion King, and I do think it’s 1 of the reasons I’m still sitting here and typing this.

I did get to meet some great people because of it (online later on), which I can really call my friends, finally!

Disneyland Resort Paris didn’t came into the picture until 2004.
I’ve always wanted to visit the park, not to meet Mickey, I was never the person who would wanna have my picture taken with a person in a suite.

Me and my first ex went for an anniversary of ours, and man, it was BORING!
Mainly because of my ex, he suddenly didn’t wanna do any rides (while we went to a Belgian funpark a lot, and he would do all the rides).
Luckily I joined a Lion King forum in 2003, and one of the members was also there at the park on the day we were there, so we arranged to meet up.
If it wasn’t for that meeting, I think I would have just gone straight back home, it was such a bad experience with my first ex *sigh*.
I remember texting my mom: DLRP is boring.
Which it really wasn’t, it was just because of him.

In 2006, I finally managed to make some friends through the Lion King forum, and through other things (like a certain music band that came along in 1998), and I went back there, to have a Lion King forum meeting, which I made happen.
And I loved the place! Haha!
So much better then the first time, obviously, we did all the rides and such, and I got hooked.

I don’t go for the characters, I never did.
I can just walk around there, even though it’s so crowded these past few years, it just gives me some kind of peace walking around there.
However, I did notice that last year October, I got the hang of it, taking pictures with characters, hehe.
(also, I had very bad teeth, I had the bad ones pulled and have dentures since I was 25 so there’s another reason why I never wanted to have my picture taken before).

I was in the hospital last year during summer, because of a severe panic attack.
We didn’t really knew what it was, until I went to my doctor a few days later, and explained everything.
He then told me I have anxiety & panic disorder.
(anxiety I actually already had for all my life, but we just never called it that, I always just blamed it on me being nervous)

Last year October I went to DLRP after being diagnosed with it, and even though I had to stuff myself with medication to actually get there, once I was there, I was fine, perfectly fine!
I didn’t even have to take all my medication every day, because just being there was enough for me to forget about my disorders, and be calm and relaxed.

Last edited:
My favorite is Marry Poppins.

When I was a child you could only see the Disney movies at the theaters. Mary Poppins would come around it seemed every year and my Mother would take us kids to see it. I loved the magic of it all. The way she could get the kids to clean their room by just snapping their fingers. I loved the Carousel horses that broke away from the carousel and went "cross country" so to speak. I like the uncle that floated from too much laughter. I thought all those things would be so great to be able to do. But all in all I think I just always wanted to be "practically perfect in every way!"

Now a days it is still one of my favorites but now what I love most is the little old lady feeding the birds, the song she sings that puts the children to sleep but is all about staying awake. The family going kiting together at the end. To me Mary Poppins is a movie for all ages. There is something that will appeal to everyone at any time in their life. I became a HUGE Julie Andrews fan because of this movie and had to see every movie she was in because of it. It is simply one of Disney's best!

These are sweet stories! Can't wait to read more! :)

There are so many Disney movies that are special to me, but if I had to pick 1 current favorite it would have to be Wreck It Ralph that just has my heart. <3 (If you haven't seen it my story may contain spoilers) I knew we would love it because my whole family is made up of video game nerds. :) I didn't expect it to be as meaningful as it was. We saw it in theaters about a month after we found out that my little girl would be on the Autism Spectrum. I was so heartbroken and scared about what that would mean for her. I had no experience with Autism at all and I had no idea what to expect. The worst part was that no one else could tell me what to expect either because every person with Autism is different. All we could do was begin therapy and wait. When saw the trailer for Wreck It Ralph I immediately thought Vanellope looked a lot like my daughter, whose name is Penelope! Their names even rhyme! Watching the movie I bawled my eyes out watching Vanellope show everyone that what they thought was a glitch actually made her even more awesome. At that moment I felt like God was telling me everything would be okay. After months of therapy and hard work my sweet girl has already mastered one of her learning readiness programs and she's starting to imitate some sounds. She has learned to communicate by signing and she will say "up" when she wants to be held. I pray every day that she will be able to talk to me. We have a long road ahead but her progress so far is amazing. And just like Ralph, the best part of my day is watching my girl just be her awesome self.

Last edited:
My favorite disney movie is actually my 27 year old daughters. Tara was born with the right leg 5 inches shorter than her left. By the time she was 10 she had over 32 surgeries. On the day THE LITTLE MERMAID came out we took her i. A wheel chair. Now tara is a red head so we thought she might like this movie so we un officially checked her out of the hospital for the day and took her to see the movie. Tara was 6 when this movie came out when we were leaving the theater she was singing at the top of her lungs (which was quite horrible the child couldnt sing) when we got back to the hospital Tara asked us if ariel is a mermaid and has red hair like me do you think i could trade me legs for a tail like enrs then i wouldnt need anymor surgeries. Needless to say it about broke our heart. Today tara is a beautiful 27 year old woman who still when she gets upset puts on the little mermaid movie she says it reminds her to never give up. Only a disney movie could bring hope and happiness for over 20 years to a little girl.

My would be Winnie the Pooh. When I was five or six I had a severe asthma attack and had to stay in the hospital overnight... My hospital had a VCR attached to the TV so you could watch something that you brought from hom.. My dad had grabbed Winnie the Pooh for me to watch, and I watched it. As soon as it finished, I started it over. I'd watch it 10-15 times the first day because of that... After I left the hospital I went to the store and got a little Winnie the Pooh baby blanket. I took that blanket around everywhere with me... I turned into Linus for peanuts with my Winnie the Pooh blanket. I went to WDW three years ago and went to the Character breakfast at the crystal palace, when Winnie came by I actually stood up gave him a hug a cried a little...

Corvyn

Happy early birthday! what a fun idea for a contest. i don't really have any deep, emotional story to share, but i'll share my reasons for my fave movie. it's fun to talk about, even if it's unlikely to win ^^

It's hard for me to choose a favorite from what i consider the "old, Disney classics" (the ones i grew up on) but after thinking about it, Lion King is the answer for me. It's for a lot of different little reasons, which i'll try to explain.

Let's start with the music. There are few Disney musical moments as iconic as the first notes of 'The Circle of Life', a shocking, rousing note to start the film off. And who can forget one of the most beautiful love songs in Disney history, 'Can You Feel the Love Tonight'? Couple that with the other great songs of "Can't Wait to be King" and "Be prepared", and it's not hard to see why the Lion King soundtrack is my favorite of any Disney film to date.

Next, there's the animation. Now, of course, all the old Disney films are beautifully animated. But the Lion King is special in its depiction of the lions. Lions are such amazing animals, with elegant design already built in. It was a brilliant idea to make these wonderful creatures the main characters for a Disney film, and the animators did a wonderful job of bringing across the beauty and majesty of the animals.

Now we can talk about the characters themselves. What more could a little kid, or an adult fan, ask for? We have Simba, our brave hero burdened by guilt. Nala, his childhood friend, great love, and an immensely strong female character. And of course, there's Scar, one of the most despicable and yet sympathetic villains in Disney history. I mean, he LITERALLY throws his own brother to a violent death WHILE HIS NEPHEW WATCHES, and yet he has such a valid motivation. Having to live in someone else's shadow is something everyone can relate to. And to have to deal with that for your entire life... Scar's plight is not an unfamiliar one. The point, i guess, is that these are realistic characters. They're not princesses up in a tower, waiting for their prince to save them. Aside from being lions, they're very very human. and those are the types of characters that resonate with us the most. Those are the ones that follow us through the years.

And finally, the issue of family. It's not common for the Hero and the Villain to be part of the same family, but Lion King also throws in Mufasa and Sarabi, not to mention Simba's fiance. Most of the conflict in the film takes place within this one family, with all the emotions that implies. There is the blind faith of a nephew in his uncle; the loving disapproval of a father; the betrayal of a brother; the despair of a mother losing her son and the joy of his return; and, of course, the new love between long lost friends. Family is central to the story, with the idea of loyalty to one's family and heritage being the thing that finally triumphs in the end.

So what I'm saying, with all these seemingly random facts, is that my reason for choosing Lion King is simply..everything. Lion King, from the first note of the opening song until the final shot of the presentation of Simba's child, is a story about life. It's about love and hate, guilt and forgiveness, running away and returning, death and birth. When I look at everything Lion King is about, all the things it teaches, and the inspiration it provides, I can't really see my favorite Disney movie being anything else ^^

Hm, well I don't think my story will pull your heart strings or anything like that. It's more of a story about the appreciation of what went into one of my favorite, if not favorite Disney films. That would be 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I think a lot of people forget the older live action Disney films, like Old Yeller, Pollyanna, Swiss Family Robinson, and Treasure Island. It was one of the first Disney movies I saw, and it stuck with me. I've always been a fan of science fiction, which mostly takes place in the future. 20,000 Leagues takes place in the past, yet the technology shown in the film might even be more advanced than what we have today! I was (and still am) very interested in the deep sea, and this movie gave me a glimpse into that world. Watching the crew walk at the bottom of the ocean in those incredible suits still amazes me. And to think, this movie was done in a time without crazy CGI effects! They built whole sections of the submarine! Those were real people under water! They fought a giant rubber squid! I mean c'mon, who doesn't find that scene impressive!? It's not every day that you get to watch a giant squid attack a submarine (unless you have the DVD like me). Did you know that the organ that Capt. Nemo plays in the film is now in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion? Yep, it's true. (Look at that, I somehow brought the Haunted Mansion up in this thread. Woot!) It's an impressive movie, especially when you think about when it was made and the technology they had at their disposal. There is a certain kind of science fiction romance portrayed in the movie. Some would even say very Steampunk. Which, by the way, Steampunk rocks.

Because it is an old movie, many of the props and costumes are hard to find and no longer exist. A few years ago, I took a visit to the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francico. There they have one of the original diver's helmets and under water cameras on display. It was really cool to see them up close.

And then a few months ago, I saw it in person.

I had no idea that it would be on display!!! I stood there for quite a while, staring at all the tiny details. Right there in front of me was the Nautilus, something I never thought I'd ever see in person.

Now its time for me to find this poster!

So that's my story. Not very touching, but being able to see props from my favorite Disney film was a special moment for me.

First I would like to say congrats on the achievement, have a BLAST on your trip and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :D And also, thank you for the great game! I have enjoyed what I have read thus far!

Now, for me it definitely is hard to say, I love most Disney movies for desperate and unique reasons! Disney just has a way of connecting to people and making it personal in SOME way! ALSO...:lol: my FAVORITE is not fully Disney, so may be disqualified! ;) Ha ha!

Since the day I saw it in the theatre, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? has been one of my ALL time favorite movies in general! I fell head-over-heals in love with the sultry Mrs. Jessica Rabbit!!! :drool: I mean, come one, who wouldn't with that exquisitely drawn figure and the lusty voice of Kathleen Turner! Even a gay eight year old boy just COULD NOT resist falling deeply in love!!! ;) After that it was WFRR? and Jessica Rabbit everything (OBVIOUSLY following me into adulthood)!!! :rofl: My parents (basically my mom, dad just liked to take credit) went above and beyond that year to deck my room out...you would think you were living in the movie!!! My bunkbeds had WFRR? sheets and comforters, all the little toys and stuffed animals, posters AND a custom made lamp that was AMAZING!!! I kick myself for wearing out or not holding on to many of these things when I hit adolescent years!!! That year for Christmas was also the year my uncle made me the lifesize Jessica and Roger wall hangings (pictures in previous thread)! I am not sure what all (other than Jessica) made me love this movie so much??? The era it was set in, the 1/2 animated 1/2 real life aspect or just that it is an extraordinary movie (IMO), but I will ALWAYS hold this as a top 3 movie to me!

So, hmmm, full out Disney tho....

Possibly The Little Mermaid! :) I guess I just adore Disney's redheads!!! :lol: Really tho, I could have a list a mile long on this one! :)

I think this is a great idea. My favorite Disney movie is Pinocchio. My story.

I was 8 and my mother had just passed a couple of weeks ago before we were going to Disney. When we were down there even then it was really still hard to get around and do everything and then we saw the movie Pinocchio. I was hooked by this movie right off the bat. I though it was pretty nice to see a movie with a boy who would grow up only around his father and that was what had happened to me. After the end of the movie both my father and I were in tears. Now being 15 I can really understand why my father was really touched by this movie. Each week for years I have watched this movie and I LOVE it. Having a movie that is almost just like that growing up with only a father and seeing that was amazing. I will continue to watch this movie each week because it is so near and dear to my heart and my father as well.That is my story

My favorite Disney movie is Mulan. Mulan is sacrificing herself in order to help her father and her people. I sometimes feel like I sacrifice for others and put others before myself. There are times I feel the need to do this, because is the the right thing. Other times I just feel like I do this in order to be 'liked.' But the acts of kindness I do always comes from my heart. It is my identity that I proudly share. It always feels amazing when I am acknowledged for positive things that I do. Mulan is such a selfless person, and she is one of the Disney characters I respect the most.

Reading everyone's stories is so touching... There are so many memories and emotions tied up in a lot of Disney movies!!

I think my all-time favorite has to be Fantasia. I grew up with a lot of classical music (some Chinese opera, too, but in the early 90's I think it was harder to come by...) and Fantasia really drew me in with all of the beautiful art that matched up perfectly with the sound... The story lines and humor and the delicate detail in every snippet really drew me in. I think part of it was also that my dad tried to make me interested in art at a young age, but it was just so boring unless it was moving! So Fantasia got me to appreciate Monet, in the end :) :)

It also confused me for ages, as a result of Fantasia I thought rainbows ended in pools and dinosaurs got swallowed by the earth until 7th grade or something... But I don't mind the carry over :) Watching it now is just as stunning, and now that I'm learning how to draw and learning how to relax and have some art time, having it in the background is absolutely perfect - it's visually inspiring, there's virtually no distracting dialogue, and Chernabog doesn't scare me as badly as before (he's actually one of my favorite "villains" now) so I can finally finish the movie, and get to my favorite part - Ave Maria.

A very neat idea! I have to say that I love a great number of Disney movies and collect ALL of them, in some way, but my favorite has always been, and still is, 101 Dalmatians. This is probably because it is the first Disney movie that I can recall actually going to see when it was in theatres and I loved all the little puppies, spots and all. I don't think I actually saw it in its original run in 1961 but it could have been, which would explain why my memory of it is a little fuzzy, lol. It just made love the idea of going to movies and seeing loveable characters while being entertained and kept glued to the screen to see what was going to happen next. Some of the happiest memories of childhood are from things like this, coming out, grinning from ear to ear, because you just saw another AWESOME movie! I suppose that part is still true to this day, but the thrill isn't as big as it was then, lol. I wanted a dalmatian after seeing the movie, but all we had was a german shepherd, which filled the bill as he was a great family dog, as was the corgi I had in teen years as well. Never did get that dalmatian, but when I started collecting Disney pins, one of my original goals was to get 101 different dalmatian pins.
Well, that goal was passed long ago, then passed again, and I think maybe even a third time by now, lol. It's been fun and it's still the mainstay of my collection, no matter how big it gets.
Still love those spotty pups, and love to hate Cruella. She is an almost loveable villain in her ineptitude and quirky looks and her desire for a dalmatian coat (NOT HAPPENING!!) and Glenn Close made the character even more intriguing in the live action version. She's the female counterpart of Dick Dastardly and all she needed was her own Muttley to complete that image. I admit to being a bit of a Disney dog fan (some cats too) but the spotted ones will always be my faves, now and forever. Everybody may want to "be a cat" but only the privileged get to live on a dalmatian plantation, and constantly see spots before their eyes! LMAO!

My favourite Disney movie is UP ( no surprises there!!) I like this film sooo much, no infact, I love it!! I can relate to sooo many characters and reactions in this movie. Carl and Ellie clearly love each other and were childhood sweethearts, as my husband and I were <3 Their love for each other is very apparent and true. My husband is my best friend, and i think this is true of carl and ellie! They are an ordinary Couple in everyday life facing life's troubles and unexpected expenses which is something not only I, but all of us can relate to!!! I think the part that always gets me on this movie is the part where Ellie miscarries her baby....I get such a lump in my throat every time when I see this,my eyes well up....as I too can sadly relate to that...and feel her pain and heartache.

On a brighter note, I find the humour in this movie very good, it's a dry sense of humour and not blatantly funny like a lot of films...Russell reminds me of my 8year old son jack, my son is in cubs and also has badges just like Russell and goes on camps etc...it's uncanny heheh! The love shown in this Film by all it's characters...the loyal ness and trusting nature of Dug, who is somewhat naive....the dedication of Carl to fulfil his promise to Ellie to reach paradise falls ....the temperament of Russell and his typical attitude of a boy that age, even Kevin and her maternal approach with Russell!! It makes it soo special to me and makes my heart warm up..all the characters are so different but compliment each other so well....Carl reminds me of my late grandfather...such a typical grumpy old man on the outside but underneath there was a fun adventurous side waiting...hiding!...

i hope this small snippet has enlightened some of you as to why this film is so incredibly special to me...there are endless reasons but I have listed a few...I hope you have enjoyed reading...

remember this film has taught us all an important message in life....you are never too old to achieve what you want, and anything is possible...

"ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!!"

Charlotte xx

my parents were SUPER strict when I was young. we didnt have a TV for the longest time. I rarely was able to see any cartoons. I can clearly remember watching Sleeping Beauty, and being terrified of Maleficent, that is probably my earliest memory of a cartoon. But my very favorite cartoon that means soooo much to me, is Dumbo. As a kid, I loved the songs and the silly crows, and it helped my dislike for clowns, I'm sure. I loved the train that sang. I remember watching the Reluctant Dragon, when the live action man goes to the Disney Studio to see Walt Disney and he wanders through where the lady is the voice of Casey Junior, and I loved seeing her make the train talk.

I always understood that Mrs. Jumbo was defending Dumbo from those mean kids, and I didn't know why she got locked away for it. As a mother now, it utterly breaks my heart to think of Mrs. Jumbo being pulled from her baby. I cannot listen to Baby Mine without crying. It means so much more to me now that I have a child. Just last week, I was talking to a Disney animator about Dumbo, telling him how the movie touches my heart in an amazing way. He just redid the Baby Mine scene in his own way, and he said that this simple, low budget movie is heartfelt and entertaining, and proves that you dont need big and flashy when youve got characters that people care about. Dumbo pulls on my heart strings.

Hi! This is my first post on the forums so you'll have to forgive me if I make any mistakes, and I hope I'm allowed to post here... It just seemed a nice idea and I wanted to join in :).

I've been a fan of Disney films for as long as I can remember, even though I haven't seen the majority of what most fans would call the 'Classics', although I am working to remedy that (watching Peter Pan this weekend, and Hercules too if I have time!). My favourite two movies are Oliver and Company, which I just love because of the storyline and the amazing songs, and The Emperor's New Groove. The reasons I love TENG are a little more emotional than why I love O&Co though...

The whole time whilst I was growing up, my Dad was never really in to animated films. Even when I was a kid, he didn't really want to watch them with me, and now he always complains when I talk about those "silly cartoons". The only film this has never applied to, though, is The Emperor's New Groove. It's the only Disney film I've seen my Dad be happy to watch, and actually seen him enjoy watching even though it's a "kid's film". Whenever I mention it, he immediately says "Bad llama!" and we start bantering quotes. If ever there were a Disney film that enabled me to spend quality time with my dad, it's this one. In fact, it's so ingrained in our relationship that when he gets home from work, or when we first see each other at breakfast (yes, I still live at home), we don't say hello. He says "Squeak!" and I reply "Squeak squeak", because we both love the squirrel language Kronk speaks. I couldn't count the number of times Dad and I have exchanged conversation consisting of "Squeak squeaken, squeak squeak" and so on. It may sound odd to strangers, and perhaps our squeaky greeting is weirding you out, but to me it's a bond with my dad thanks to Disney.

So I guess that's my Disney story. I know it's not hugely interesting but I hope you might enjoy reading it :).
M x

My favorite Disney movie are at a tie. A tie between Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid. So I will tell a story for both if that is okay.

1st is Beauty and the Beast. It was the very first movie that I ever saw in the movie theater. I was only 5 years old and my dad took me for my birthday. Ever since then I have loved Belle. I feel so much like her. I dream of adventure wanting so much more. Just waiting for the day when it will come.

The other movie is Little Mermaid. I remember seeing this movie when I was really little as well. My mom says that when I was little I loved playing with her hair. Holding her hair was like a comfort thing for me. Because of this my mom gave me my first barbie doll which was Ariel. I played with that doll so much that they had to buy me 3 more of the same one. I still have all 4 of my Ariel dolls and they have been through so much with me. I had back and heart surgery when I was 5 and 7 and she was with me through it all. Even though one of the dolls hair is a mess and another doll has her legs broken off I would never give them up. I love Ariel and she will always have a special place in my heart. :)

My favourite disney movie is the lion king.
It all started when we used to stay at my aunties house, it was the only place I could watch it because my parents thought disney videos were expensive and that I'd get bored of them. Until one day I was taken to a play area in a shop in town kinda like a crèche (I was only like 6) and they had the video playing there and while all the other kids were playing I just sat and watched. I have a visual memory of it.
Then the time came when we got our first ever computer and my dad let me choose a game for it. With no hesitation I chose the lion king! You know the floppy disc version, the proper and best ever version! This sparked an amazing father daughter relationship, as we would spend hours, when he was home from being at sea. (he was in the navy for over 30 years and used to be away sometimes for 8 months of the year) trying (and quite a bit of) failing! It took a long time to complete and to this day those memories to me are still fresh. Sadly we misplaced the discs, so I repurchased them so I always have a copy.
So, the lion king bought my dad and I closer together and it holds a special place in my heart that nobody can take away from me.

I hope that's readable, it's really hard to write down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back