• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Mickey’s of Glendale! Dec 6th 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mickey’s of Glendale! Dec 6th 2014
Only about 506 were in line by the 7:30 AM cut-off. So the odds of getting a good voucher for the LE 300 pins being released were way better than I have seen at several of the hot DSSH releases. I had expected at least double this amount for hot DSSH releases have been known to have more than 1000 people show up for what are typically LE 400s.

Didn't you have to be D23 Silver or Gold to go shopping at MoG today? That may be why only 500 people were there.

Didn't you have to be D23 Silver or Gold to go shopping at MoG today? That may be why only 500 people were there.

Yes, unless you were a Disney employee. Disney employees were able to bring in 3 Guests. The D23 members could each bring in 1 guest.

But it seemed to me that the number of people at WDI today were about the same as is normally at D23 Days, despite the fact that the pins being released were by far the most awesome I had ever seen at a D23 Event at WDI. The nine Snowflake ones are heavy, pin-on-pin and the snowflakes themselves have both stained glass and sparkle-glitter elements.

If I were not already a member of D23, I would have purchased a membership this week just so I could go to the Event in hopes of getting the pins because Frozen is one of the themes I collect.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone has an extra Anna and/or Jumbo that they'd be willing to trade or sell? The person who graciously offered to do a pickup for me didn't manage to get a voucher. I was at the D23 Attraction Rewind, and I have some pins from that to trade.

Last edited:
IMO, there were way more people at today's D23 Saturday event than were there last May for the Mine Train pin release. On both Saturdays, I arrived at 6 am. In May, my wristband was #162; today my wristband was #365. It was close to 12 noon before I got into the store. Instead of waiting all that time, I drove to the Grand Californian to pick up the very first holiday gingerbread house pins for DLR, and got them signed. And then returned to MoG.

IMO, there were way more people at today's D23 Saturday event than were there last May for the Mine Train pin release. On both Saturdays, I arrived at 6 am. In May, my wristband was #162; today my wristband was #365. It was close to 12 noon before I got into the store. Instead of waiting all that time, I drove to the Grand Californian to pick up the very first holiday gingerbread house pins for DLR, and got them signed. And then returned to MoG.

<_< I really wish I would have known about that gingerbread thing. What with this being my first time at Disneyland and all.

I think the chaos turned many away and many assumed they would have not chance so they didn't come. Also, there wasn't anything else to do at WDI. Normal D23 releases have some kind of artwork thing, showcases, artist signings, etc. They had nothing. It was pretty much catered to the pin people and that is what they had to deal with. They had no pin boards, no pin prize raffles, no AP framed sets, etc. They didn't even have the usual shirts, keychains, etc. on sale prices on the patio.
In the end, I got the pins, but the event as a whole was a huge let down. I was hoping for some cheap Christmas present deals on sweatshirts or knick-knacks. There was nothing. Just Frozen pins and all the other junk they've always had. The Destination D stuff was all for Florida, that stuff doesn't fly here. The only sale pins were the pressed pennies and the weather vanes. Remember the old grab bags, the ones with the golden tickets. Ok so the tickets are gone, but what about the grab bags?
I know Chris gets all upset and can't handle stress very well, but she was really particularly nasty this time. It's not most of our faults that she was dumb enough to post those pins on the Hub. What did she expect to happen? They should have been surprise or the flyer should have been posted on the gate at midnight or 6am as before and people should have been allowed to camp on the sidewalk as always. Does she even realize she is the manager of a retail store that sells collectible items? Par for the course if you are going to continue to make low editions sizes that slap supply and demand across the face. Take a deep breath or step aside.

I am surprised that not as many people showed up as expected

There were close to 700 wristbands given out. [Yes, they did continue to give the numbered wristbands, after the cutoff point.] MoG stayed open well past 2 pm to allow all attendees time to shop in the store. I don't think that you compare the turnout at DSF with the turnout at MoG where you have to be a cast member to a D23 gold or silver member. IMO, your best comparison is when a pin is only released inside the park versus also at Pin Traders in DTD. The pin crowd really drops off when you have to buy a park admission to go in and buy pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back