• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

GUIDE PIN BACK's (Dont lose your Lanyard Pins Ever Again)

Hey guys and girls.
I just thought I would share this with you because someone had just told me about losing a really valuable pin from their lanyard. While It may sound like I am endorsing a particular pin back (well I am) I dont even know the person I buy them from other than their screen name on EBay.

Anyways, here we go.

The rubber Mickey Backs work ok but if you ever snag a pin or you are on a ride and getting shook around, or even in normal walking, they can come loose. I am sure you haveall had ones that go on really tight and other times really loose and look for a tighter one.

Didneyland sells a binding post system to keep pins on. BAD IDEA. The small allen scres that tightens to the post puts a small dent in the post. The post is actually pretty soft and once it get this dent, it is not as strong and can bend and break. It creats a weak point.

Most of you may be familiar with the everyday tie tack bak with the little ears on both sides that you squeez to get off. These work really well and the more you pull on the pin, the tighter it gets.

Someone has taken tie tacks to the next level and made a really nice Chrome one that has a spring mechanism and it totally awesome. I also like it because it does not snag on anything like the conventional tie back's (even though they do work well)

I have a pic below of all 3 styles but I highly recomend NOT using the Binding post system. Whenever I trade with people who have them (and I always carry the wrench) I look at the pin back because most people WAY overtighten them so they wont loose their pin and you can se the big dent in the post. Pushing that into your book one time may work but when you try to remove it, the post will break.

Anyways, A picture tells a thousand words so here it is. Dont be afraid to wear your nice pins anymore. There is a solution but also dont damage your pin back.
(AS MENTIONED, THE CHROME ONES IN THE MIDDLE ARE THE BEST)

pin backs 003.jpg

GUIDE PIN BACK's (Dont lose your Lanyard Pins Ever Again)
My 1st post! At D23 this year, someone was selling these pin backs in the Marketplace. I listened to the pitch but skipped buying them and proceeded to go through their large quantity of pins. I almost lost a pin on the lanyard I was wearing the next day. The pin was crooked, and as I adjusted, it came off. I use the allen screw locks so I was in total shock! The lock looked fine, but it was just loose. Now they're on probably way too tight since I was paranoid the rest of the day. Regrets on not purchasing them! At least I can get them on eBay.

How much were they going for? I'm trying to find the best price for these online.

Thanks,

James G

I'm totally new to pin trading, but I am getting a few pins and lanyards for my daughters for their first WDW visit. I definitely want some safe pin backs, since they will be worn by little kids (who will probably be attached to the pins, whether or not they are "valuable"), and will be getting some of these from ebay. My question is this: I was thinking of putting these nicer pin backs on all of my daughter's pins, so that she doesn't have to worry about them falling off. Will that make it too hard for her to trade them? If you trade a pin with this kind of back, do you keep the back and supply a mickey back when you pass it to a cast member? I'm just trying to sort out the logistics of it- thanks!

I'm totally new to pin trading, but I am getting a few pins and lanyards for my daughters for their first WDW visit. I definitely want some safe pin backs, since they will be worn by little kids (who will probably be attached to the pins, whether or not they are "valuable"), and will be getting some of these from ebay. My question is this: I was thinking of putting these nicer pin backs on all of my daughter's pins, so that she doesn't have to worry about them falling off. Will that make it too hard for her to trade them? If you trade a pin with this kind of back, do you keep the back and supply a mickey back when you pass it to a cast member? I'm just trying to sort out the logistics of it- thanks!
It doesn't make it difficult to trade at all, just don't remove the pins from the lanyard until the other person is ready to trade or asks to see it up close, and then have a Mickey back ready to give them. Since you get a Mickey back with all the pins you'd buy or trade with another person, you're gonna have a bunch of them piled up after switching your daughters' pins over to the locking backs. I would recommend bringing 2 of those mini ziplock bags along, one filled with your Mickey backs and one to keep a stash of these locking backs for any new pins your daughters get. :) Have fun.

It doesn't make it difficult to trade at all, just don't remove the pins from the lanyard until the other person is ready to trade or asks to see it up close, and then have a Mickey back ready to give them. Since you get a Mickey back with all the pins you'd buy or trade with another person, you're gonna have a bunch of them piled up after switching your daughters' pins over to the locking backs. I would recommend bringing 2 of those mini ziplock bags along, one filled with your Mickey backs and one to keep a stash of these locking backs for any new pins your daughters get. :) Have fun.

Thanks for the recommendation; that's exactly what I'll do!

another option is to just give the person back their own pin backs from the pin they traded you since you will not use the locking backs on it you won't need them. I would still take a small bag of extras just in case you encounter a trade where yours has two backs and their pin only has one.

I defiantly have the allen key ones and never though they would dent the posts. Going to try out the others you suggested.

Question, If you are at the parks trading??? Can I tell the cast member t keep there back since I ill have a chrome one????

I know I have lost pins before because the backs are not great.

Thanks for the tip on these backs. I've been using the allen key ones sold at the parks, and over-tightened the one on the top post of my villains unleashed 2014 pin, and it caused the post to snap off. I was able to super-glue the post back on (which is fine for me, as I'll never trade it), but I want locking backs that don't require the allen key, so I don't risk damaging any other posts. These look like they'll work nicely, and I'll be ordering a set of them next week (as we're going away for the weekend for our anniversary, and I don't want them possibly sitting in my mailbox until we return.)

UPDATE: So I decided not to wait until after my wife and I return home to order these, and I'm glad I didn't wait, as they arrived today! I've removed all my allen key locking pin backs and replaced them with the chrome version of the ones this thread is about (I bought the 50 pack). I've got to say that I'm impressed. They went on easily, and seem very secure, and best of all, I don't need to worry about over-tightening them and/or damaging any other pin posts. So I just wanted to say "Thank you" again, as I'll be sticking with these locking backs from this point on!

Last edited:
Question, If you are at the parks trading??? Can I tell the cast member t keep there back since I ill have a chrome one????

I know I have lost pins before because the backs are not great.

You can always request to keep your backs. They should offer them to you if they notice they are locking ones. I have had Cast Members ask to keep their backs with me before too. some like the metal ones verses the Mickey Ears ones.

I've got to get some of these. It's not even as much losing them (I normally hear them hit the ground), as it is them being damaged from the fall.

I use the Chrome self-locking ones you have in the middle for my $100+ pins, haven't lost one since. Though because most locking pins are so difficult to get off (they would have to be or there would be no purpose to having them of course) i do not use them for my tradable or cast members would be sitting there for 10 minutes at a time while i struggled to get a pin off my lanyard ;)

These are called military pin keepers in my experience. I've never used them for Disney pins, as I am new to collecting, and wish I would have thought of them before I lost a special pin at Disney World that I bought especially for my first trip. I used the other type of brass clips, and bought the locking backs sold at Disney but hate them, and am glad to know they ruin my pins before I do any more damage! I'm not sure if they are cheaper via ebay, which you mentioned, but they look like this from a seller on amazon...if another visual is helpful.

51P0CIt4x2L.jpg

Thx, this has been super helpful I wanted to put pins on the lining of a capelet but wanted to make sure they would definitely stay there - i'll most definitely be making use of ebay to get some decent pin backs. With the gunmetal butterfly ones I they really strong but the only problem is there difficult to grip. They might be better for me. I'll look into it thanks a lot :D

These are great and I've used them on tons of pins!! I buy them directly from a supplier in China and they always arrive sooner than the estimated time and come at a reasonable price.

14a8rk0.jpg

Wow. Love this thread still. Over 29k views. Good job Dan. You rock buddy. Hope all is well with you and your family. Hope to see you around the park soon.

WWWDD

Back