• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Question about pins from Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about pins from Japan

Spiffie

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I have had the opportunity to trade for some pins from Tokyo. I love them! In total, I think I have traded for probably 20 pins from Tokyo and only one of those pins came with a black rubber mickey head back. All of the other pins came with the gold butterfly type locking back. Is there a reason why? I know for a fact that these pins came like this and I am not mad or upset. This is just a curiosity of mine.

When I was in Tokyo in September all the pins they sold had the Mickey rubber backs - maybe older pins had the gold backs before they switched as what was done here in the US

hey spiffie,

I believe I can field that , its economics. The metal butterflies are stamp pressed, much cheaper to make, add on that you can buy them in bulk , much much much,cheaper than anything that has a mickey copyrite to pay!!

just my twin pennies worth

This doesn't make sense because these pins are sold by Disney stores and Parks in Japan.

When I was in Tokyo in September all the pins they sold had the Mickey rubber backs - maybe older pins had the gold backs before they switched as what was done here in the US

Some of these are Disney Store pins, but they are all newer (some from just this Christmas).

Still, just a curiosity of mine. Not a deal breaker for the trade or anything.

What is the age of the pins? Just like here, the pins that came out the first couple years of pin trading had metal backs. Then they switched to black rubber, then to the Mickey heads.

It's VERY recently that the Japan pins have switched to the Mickey or any rubber backs. I've traded for pins even a couple of years ago and they had the metal backs. It was just their "thing". Although, when I've put Japan pins in my trader book I've switched them to the rubber backs because the metal ones rip up the plastic of the baseball card pages and scratch other pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back