• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

TRADING Swap Box #2 around the USA

This one needed replacing. Added a re-enforcing ring of tape around the box before shipping to @Pinfun

Well it looked WAY better than that when it showed up today - both inside and out. :)

I admit it took some time to get through enjoying all the contents, but I think I've settled on what I want. Now I need to spend some time tomorrow to make sure I have adequate choices to replenish the box before I post pictures of what I'm keeping (just in case I'm short on any accounts). But man is this fun. And yea - I think I could definitely do this again.

It arrived like that from me?!? What did they do to it? The box was in great condition when it left here and I made sure to pack it the same way that it arrived. :(

I think USPS can be pretty rough. I’ve def received a box that got wrecked during transit and the pin inside ended up getting very damaged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think USPS can be pretty rough. I’ve def received a box that got wrecked during transit and the pin inside ended up getting very damaged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree boxes from USPS and UPS can arrive very damaged. Just curious, is this box being insured each time it is mailed? I am not in this swap but would like to do a future one. I would think with the amount of pins and especially with the WDI, DSSH, DEC and DA pins included in this box, might be worth quite a bit.

If its shipped priority mail then it would be insured automatically i think. Not sure about the other methods. I would imagine that the value in the box would need to be declared at time of shipping for it to be claimed if there was damage though, and for good measure i would photograph the way it was properly packed and then sealed before shipping so that you can prove to USPS that it was their fault, should something happen.

I've had alot of damaged packages lately too. :eeyore:

If its shipped priority mail then it would be insured automatically i think. Not sure about the other methods. I would imagine that the value in the box would need to be declared at time of shipping for it to be claimed if there was damage though, and for good measure i would photograph the way it was properly packed and then sealed before shipping so that you can prove to USPS that it was their fault, should something happen.

I've had alot of damaged packages lately too. :eeyore:
Priority mail only covers $50 without paying for additional coverage. If there are 200 pins in the package I would think they would be valued at several hundreds of dollars?

I mailed a small flat rate box with 50 pins and when it arrived at its destination there was a hole in the box and no pins.

If you ship via PirateShip.com, then Priority is automatically insured for $100.00. I think insuring for the full amount of these boxes would be prohibitive. It's important to pack items very securely with a lot of tape ALL the way around a box when you mail it. Also, with multi-items like this, it's best to encase the whole thing in a bag or taped up bubble wrap -- and always include the address of the person receiving the goods in the bag or taped onto the bubbles.

Priority mail only covers $50 without paying for additional coverage. If there are 200 pins in the package I would think they would be valued at several hundreds of dollars?

I mailed a small flat rate box with 50 pins and when it arrived at its destination there was a hole in the box and no pins.

I would think it would be difficult to get paid for the full value of the pins since this is a trade and no money is exchanging hands. Maybe the original sender of the pins has all the receipts for the pins he or she sent out and could send them to claim full value, but it would add a lot of cost to the shipping.

Priority flat rate is $18-ish? So, adding $500-1000 of insurance to the cost would be another $10-20?

I would think it would be difficult to get paid for the full value of the pins since this is a trade and no money is exchanging hands. Maybe the original sender of the pins has all the receipts for the pins he or she sent out and could send them to claim full value, but it would add a lot of cost to the shipping.

Priority flat rate is $18-ish? So, adding $500-1000 of insurance to the cost would be another $10-20?

You'll never receive that kind of money from the PO without original receipts/documentation. Since the pins in the box are changing every time, and everyone trading pins doesn't have receipts for every pin (and every receipt was not paid by each sender anyway), you'll never win with the PO. It's more important to make sure that you pack the box well, contain the pins in a closed bag of some sort with the address of the person receiving them and use a LOT of Heavy-Duty tape on the box around all openings, corners and stressed areas.

Wow, priority used to automatically cover $100. I didn't realize that it has changed:(. I agree using a sealed bag of somesort inside can be helpful especially if the box ends up being exposed to water somewhere along the line. I've also used cardboard folded into long taped triangle shapes to reinforce the strength of boxes sometimes. To help them resist collapsing when the PO puts a box with something heavy right on top of the box in the truck. They also can be cut to length and width that you need to fill any gaps in space.

Wow, priority used to automatically cover $100. I didn't realize that it has changed:(. I agree using a sealed bag of somesort inside can be helpful especially if the box ends up being exposed to water somewhere along the line. I've also used cardboard folded into long taped triangle shapes to reinforce the strength of boxes sometimes. To help them resist collapsing when the PO puts a box with something heavy right on top of the box in the truck. They also can be cut to length and width that you need to fill any gaps in space.

I am thinking that the priority Tyvek envelopes might be good reinforcement.
I don't recall USPS ever including $100 worth of insurance for regular priority unless you are a commercial customer

I tried to be patient. I really did. But this has been the longest "tomorrow" ever and the curiosity is just driving me crazy. So.... @Pinfun How's it going?
Did I use the word tomorrow? I’m so sorry - I shouldn’t have. I’ve had side hiccups of pre-surgical scheduling stuff and broken wheelchair wheels in between trying to get assistance on valuation. As those who’ve traded with me know (inc you) I don’t really worry about the “cost” of low LEs when I trade as long as both sides are happy. So this whole valuation of low LE pins when I have pins that have zero sales and often even zero listings has made it challenging to make sure I have adequate matches for one last pin I would like to pull. I’m trying to wrap up today I promise.

Did I use the word tomorrow? I’m so sorry - I shouldn’t have. I’ve had side hiccups of pre-surgical scheduling stuff and broken wheelchair wheels in between trying to get assistance on valuation. As those who’ve traded with me know (inc you) I don’t really worry about the “cost” of low LEs when I trade as long as both sides are happy. So this whole valuation of low LE pins when I have pins that have zero sales and often even zero listings has made it challenging to make sure I have adequate matches for one last pin I would like to pull. I’m trying to wrap up today I promise.
Yeah, it’s definitely tricky when you’re not trading with a person who can say “sounds great!” Sale values are a nice objective measure but that’s tricky too if there aren’t any. Hopefully the folks who had the box before you were able to provide good guidance. I don’t think anyone else has traded a low LE yet so all the ones in there are ones I put in so I would also be glad to provide my thoughts if desired and if that’s within the rules.

Sorry to hear about the wheelchair and surgery. I hope it goes smoothly!!

Yeah, it’s definitely tricky when you’re not trading with a person who can say “sounds great!” Sale values are a nice objective measure but that’s tricky too if there aren’t any. Hopefully the folks who had the box before you were able to provide good guidance. I don’t think anyone else has traded a low LE yet so all the ones in there are ones I put in so I would also be glad to provide my thoughts if desired and if that’s within the rules.

Sorry to hear about the wheelchair and surgery. I hope it goes smoothly!!
Re Personal issues: this isn’t the place to bore you with details but suffice to say I wasted all my free daylight hours yesterday explaining to repair people that when you replace front casters, you have to really, really tighten the bolts or the wheels don’t stay on. Everything is good now.

As for the box, I did check with the folks in front of me and they both thought my choice would be fine but something in my gut still said I might be off slightly. I didn’t want them feeling responsible for my screwup if you aren’t happy in the end result. So I’m just trying to do due diligence.

I appreciate the patience of those in line past me - I tried last night to make sure I threw something back in that you might like. Not sure if I can get it to the post office today but I can definitely on Monday.

Re Personal issues: this isn’t the place to bore you with details but suffice to say I wasted all my free daylight hours yesterday explaining to repair people that when you replace front casters, you have to really, really tighten the bolts or the wheels don’t stay on. Everything is good now.

As for the box, I did check with the folks in front of me and they both thought my choice would be fine but something in my gut still said I might be off slightly. I didn’t want them feeling responsible for my screwup if you aren’t happy in the end result. So I’m just trying to do due diligence.

I appreciate the patience of those in line past me - I tried last night to make sure I threw something back in that you might like. Not sure if I can get it to the post office today but I can definitely on Monday.

It might not make it back to him @Pinfun since there are 6 more people to go before it goes back to him!

I. Had. Loads. Of. Fun. I picked some, changed my mind, picked some more, changed my mind, picked some to put in, changed my mind, picked some more to put in, changed my mind…. It was an endless loop but in the end it was time.

So I took the advice, let go of the anxiety of making sure it was all perfect, reloaded the boxes (included a few extras too just because), boxed it all up and taped it up… and as I reinforced the last corner of the box I see, wait, is that a crease? Oh crap…. It’s a 3-4” slit in the side…. Does it go through? Yep - 3 fingers slide right into it.

I’m beginning to think the USPS cut back on the quality of their boxes since this is the 3rd box for this swap. Reprint the postage, grab more tape and scissors, run off to the post office, grab a new box, take it all with us to an appointment (didn’t allot time to wrap again), repackage it all inside a reusable grocery bag (just in case the new box gets a tear), back into the box, seal the box during the appointment, and dropped it off at the main post office last night (thankfully it’s close and open late). It’s en route now.

I do believe a few of you weren’t sure of my humor and worried I might not send the box on, but I did - it just took me the whole week (I appreciate firm deadlines). So, I will not be offended in the least if I’m kicked to the end of the line next time because I caused too much anxiety for those waiting after me. :). But really what I’ve come to realize is I should probably volunteer to host the next one. That way I don’t have to stress about whether and which older pins to include; I’ll just put them all in and let you lovely pin-friends sort it out. :) And I’m done.

Oh wait… you just started reading my post to see what I picked.

I love my new treasures. Thank you to all those before me. I have something for possibly every collection I’ve got going. Which undoubtedly means I have too many collections, to which I say again: I should probably host the next one.

I. Had. Loads. Of. Fun. I picked some, changed my mind, picked some more, changed my mind, picked some to put in, changed my mind, picked some more to put in, changed my mind…. It was an endless loop but in the end it was time.

So I took the advice, let go of the anxiety of making sure it was all perfect, reloaded the boxes (included a few extras too just because), boxed it all up and taped it up… and as I reinforced the last corner of the box I see, wait, is that a crease? Oh crap…. It’s a 3-4” slit in the side…. Does it go through? Yep - 3 fingers slide right into it.

I’m beginning to think the USPS cut back on the quality of their boxes since this is the 3rd box for this swap. Reprint the postage, grab more tape and scissors, run off to the post office, grab a new box, take it all with us to an appointment (didn’t allot time to wrap again), repackage it all inside a reusable grocery bag (just in case the new box gets a tear), back into the box, seal the box during the appointment, and dropped it off at the main post office last night (thankfully it’s close and open late). It’s en route now.

I do believe a few of you weren’t sure of my humor and worried I might not send the box on, but I did - it just took me the whole week (I appreciate firm deadlines). So, I will not be offended in the least if I’m kicked to the end of the line next time because I caused too much anxiety for those waiting after me. :). But really what I’ve come to realize is I should probably volunteer to host the next one. That way I don’t have to stress about whether and which older pins to include; I’ll just put them all in and let you lovely pin-friends sort it out. :) And I’m done.

I love my new treasures. Thank you to all those before me. I have something for possibly every collection I’ve got going. Which undoubtedly means I have too many collections, to which I say again: I should probably host the next one.

Fun stuff! That's a lovely Minnie in. Cool! Glad you had such a great time.

Nice Choices!

Glad I reinforced the sides of the box. Tried to match as many of your want list from my traders.

I’m beginning to think the USPS cut back on the quality of their boxes since this is the 3rd box for this swap.

Glad I reinforced the sides of the box. Tried to match as many of your want list from my traders.
Yeah, it's sounding like taping up the sides is a must for these.

Back