• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What are your LEAST favorite pin features

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your LEAST favorite pin features

unibear

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Hey all,

I read the post on the most favorite pin features, but what kept popping into my mind were the features I DIDN'T like. So, I thought I'd start a thread on them. Here goes...

Characters with no pupils--they look freaky to me!

Dangle pins--they always seem to be getting caught on things!

Pin-on-pin--I know I'm in the minority here, but I just think the 3D pins look cheaper than the 2D pins.

Well, that's a start. What are your least favorite pin features?

I agree that some pupil-less characters look freaky, but sometimes it's not a bad thing. One of my favorite themes is Halloween, so that effect can look cool sometimes.

I totally agree with you on the dangles! My least favorite feature for sure.

And I disagree with you on pin-on-pin. I like them myself.

Hi,

I cannot stand dangles either, because they also tend to break easier, and the dangle part will get lost some place without you even knowing it.

I have not seen these for a few years now, but they used to have the glitter elements just plain glued on the pins, and the glitter would fall off little by little. Pin 40114 is an example of one of these.

I hate it when a large pin only has one post, and it swings all over, ruining anything next to it.

Lastly, I do not like pins where the characters are so little that you have to use a magnigying glass to see what it is about.

Who's next?

OK, one more for now.

I hate it when you get the same character pose on "new" pins. How many times do I have to have a pin where Stitch is snarling the same snarl? (also seen for Jessicas and Tinks).

I agree about the dangle pins. They are too fragile.

And I agree about pins with tiny little characters against backgrounds that overwhelm them: not good.

I'm not a fan of rubber elements in a pin. The use of rubber on an otherwise metal pin seems random and (usually) jarring.

No pupils drives me nuts too. Way creepy! The other thing that I don't care for, with some exceptions, is photo pins. There's very little creativity involved.

Top of my list is pupil-less characters, i hate it!! Or just as bad, if the pupils are in 2 different directions! I like dangles, never had 1 break on me yet. Free-D is okay, it just depends on the pins. I have another one to add to the pile, thick outlines, instead of the thin ones, to me this can ruin a pin!

I'm not a big fan of sliders. Once they're on my board, they're either cumbersome to slide, or they slide too easily and make it hard to get the pin in just the right position.

I pretty much agree with most everyone here but here are a couple of pin features that I had misfortune with.

1) Dioramas: I have an HM Opin House Organist diorama pin, but the connections are very loose to the point of almost breaking apart.
2) Snow Globes: All the one's I've seen had glitter just clumped inside it.
3) Year Pins: They're the same pin design with a different year.

I had totally forgotten about Dioramas, Snow Globes, and Year pins. It seems like a lot of the bubbled pins with fake snow or glitter open up some, and the stuff inside them falls out. An example would be the celebration pins they had last year.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of cool pin-on-pin elements, but when they're lame and tagging three bucks onto a pin that could've looked just as good (or better) without a pin-on-pin feature at a lower price point, it kind of drives me nuts. I do alot of my shopping at the DSF, so I see alot of unnecessary pin-on-pin designs that unfortunately jack up the price of pins that would've been fine as $10 2D designs.

-JD

OK, one more for now.

I hate it when you get the same character pose on "new" pins. How many times do I have to have a pin where Stitch is snarling the same snarl? (also seen for Jessicas and Tinks).

I know exactly what you mean. I posted a thread about this with Jack Skellington pins. Take a look!
http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?984-Re-using-pin-artwork

I don't mind a good dangle pin, but the free-D pins are kind of *meh*. They look too cheap. Also, the free-D element grabs hold of grime and turns a nice dark poop color over time.
But the one thing that bugs me is when they over saturate the pin universe with a million pins of one character and forget all the other good characters that are in the Disney Universe. I know they do it because Disney knows that they are popular characters (stitch, jessica) and they will sell, but I think that there are so many characters/scenes that deserve pins but are ignored.

The features that make a pin stick up too much. Springs, dioramas, really big free-D. They make the pin hard to store, hard to frame, and super easy to damage.

Sliders and Dangles are fine with me. But I hate front to back spinners! I understand why they are made, for example the recent Then-Now series, but they can't spin once I put them in my book or on my board. Seems like a waste.

And i second the large pin with one post peeve. I've got small pins with 2 posts and large pins with one post. Just don't get it.

1. Hinged pins leave me flat - just my personal preference.
2. Using clear color enamel for the background; looks cheap - DS is really big into that right now.
3. Going nuts - no, make that - completely overboard with the glitter elements - again, cheap, and again DS is guilty.
4. I agree about the large pins with the single post - ugh!

I would rather Disney slow down of their production of pins and let their artist have time to truly produce quality pin designs.

No pupils to me is a design issue and not a pin feature. As far as pin features go, not in any particular order.... Diorama, Springs, Light Up, Musical

Dangles I can live with.....

agree with SO many on here:

large pins w 1 post and tiny pins w 2 posts
no pupils
snowglobe/glitter type pins (think they look way cheap)
dangles (some are cute, but the dangle is susceptible to breaking off all the time)

and some new ones:

hate when there is writing on a pin most of the time (holiday, date, when a DA pin says DisneyAuctions.com)
poor quality control on pins just to push out quantity

It's gotta be the rubbery 3-D add-ons! They either come unglued or get black from rubbing on the inside of our pin books! And I must agree on the single-post issue on big pins! And with that, small and mini-pins have two posts! That's gotta go!

I hate writing on pins that has nothing to do with the character or movie it represents. I also generally (with a few exceptions) don't like when they take characters and put them in situations or outfits that are completely different from the movie/place they came from.

As others have mentioned:

dioramas (too fragile and can't be worn as actual pins)
snow globes and springs (also too easily damaged)
free-d (hate the rubbery stuff and it will be destroyed over time much easier than metal elements)
dangles (too easily broken)

also:
glitter-underfill (makes a pin look concave and not properly filled)

I hate writing on pins that has nothing to do with the character or movie it represents. I also generally (with a few exceptions) don't like when they take characters and put them in situations or outfits that are completely different from the movie/place they came from.

Actually, my most favorite Stitch pins (and what really got me into the trading craze) was the Stitch Invades pins, where Stitch invaded another Disney movie dressed as another character. I love those!! Then again I seem to be in the minority about not liking pin-on-pin (but I already knew that!).

Probably equally I dislike dioramas and dangles.

Then would be snowglobes and Free-D.

I don't mind spinners if they are normal sized pins but I don't like jumbo pin spinners because most of the time they are on 2 pinbacks and they bend and break off and yada, yada, yada..

Oh, I almost forgot, I can't stand double sided pins! I never know which side to put them on and some don't have that option and you like the other side better. Grrr...

I don't like hinged pins. I won't buy them. If you try to wear one, it flops open all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back