• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What does everyone think about the value of the Designer Villain Pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think about the value of the Designer Villain Pins?

dizneyfanaddicts

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
So I was wondering what everyone thinks these Designer Villain pins are really worth? If you take the Designer Princess Set it last sold for $1150.00 as a FULL SET of 10. That makes it $115.00 each pin if you divide it out evenly. I know Rapunzel sells between $250 and $275 by herself, Ariel is around $175-$200. As a set though they are $115.00 each. Now the Designer Villains are selling for $800.00 a set of 6 and moving up daily. If you divide that out as a set thats $133.33 each. Sellers are getting more individually, Mother Gothel went for $245. If you add them up individually they are coming up to $840-$1000.00. If they reach $1000 a set thats $167 each. I know they are new and the Designer Princesses are hard to find but the villains seem to be demanding more than the Designer Princesses. The Designer Princesses have many sets that are broken up and not complete any thoughts? Do you think the release of the Designer Villains will increase the value of the Designer Princesses?

My personal view is that because Princesses did so well and went as high as they did 1 year laterish sellers saw that and figure "If they're willing to pay that much for a princess pin then they'll definitely pay MORE for a new set when it sells out regardless of how many pins since they missed out on those too. I can charge what ever I want!" Sad but true.

Because those sellers resell at almost 5x the actual retail value, the actual traders suffer and have no choice but to pay those prices if the other trader paid that. This resulting in many keeping their sets if they bought it for retail value in shock and disbelief on how high the prices have gotten and aren't sure what to do anymore and if they decided to split their set/sell their set they would do it at the new value prices and thus having someone go "UGH YOU'RE JUST AS BAD AS THOSE ON EVILBAY" when in reality it's not their fault. The value has now increased to supply-demand price.

Unless someone who was lucky enough to get the set at $149.95 and didn't care about the high values they are now, would sell it to you for $25 ea pin.
Hate to say it but it all has to do with greedy evilbay sellers and the first few who caved to the $500-700 prices to ruin it for the rest of us. Had they waited it out and not paid, the sellers would have had no choice but to reduce until they HAD to sell it at retail value to get their money's worth.

We personally think the designer villains are at a fair value. Most of the listings that have sold on eBay have been "true auctions" with 30-40 bids. Of course there are 3 views to it though.

1 view is from those who weren't able to purchase the set and are bitter that the only way to get them is to trade heavy for them or willing to spend quite a bit of money.

2nd view is from the people who actually were able to get the set at retail and are now seeing how much they are going for.

3rd views is from those who are willing to accept what the prices are and just realize its a part of this hobby that we will NEVER get away from.

This is what being in a collectible hobby is all about.

Also, lets remember, while the Edition size may be a bit higher than the princesses..these Pins are just as beautiful! AND, most of us in the pin community had thought Disney Store was done making High End pins. So for them to come out with a brand new set of this magnitude has most definitely added to the price.

The fact that it was a surprise release..which is why a lot of people are sore about not having them has also increased the price.

Do i think this will increase the price of Designer Princess...i doubt it. I think the Designer princesses have hit their plateau at a solid $1000 - $1150.

It is really hard to predict where things will be 1-2-5-10 years from now. It is also in the eye of the beholder: Do people value each pin individually or do they value complete sets ??

As an example while each pin might cost $100 for princess pins, I think a complete set with box & certificate might merit a wee bit more than $1000 for the sake of surviving challenge of time and its rarity. As you mentioned yourself, a lot of sets have been already broken and 1 year after princess release there must be about 30-40% of the initial 150 sets surviving in complete form. At the same time, due the demand in Rapunzel, that pin is going for crazy prices.

Who knows what will be done with the Villains ?? If there will be less co-ops and more complete sets or just the opposite. There were 50 more sets to begin with. I think only time will tell.

For the time being, I can see that Mother Gothel caught up with Rapunzel in no-time :lol:

I think they will hold their value as a set. They are stunning pins, and LE 200 Disney Shopping. If I had a set I'd probably trade it now while there is a lot of hype, but that's just me. Congrats to everyone who has a set! :D

I didn't get one, would like one, but oh well, that's life (next time I expect texts from everyone no matter the time I will get up!) :shock:

I agree supply vs. demand is the key.

It can be upsetting to hear about people buying multiple sets for resale, but whatever. They were in the right place at the right time and if they can make some money, all the more to them Someone making a $2500+ profit - hey, that's enough for rent for a few months, right?! :) Maybe this is the only way that person can make money - just don't judge (and no, I didn't get any at all).

On a side note, how come this and the princesses (both which are Disneyshopping / Disney Store pins) haven't been scrapped? I remember the Happily Ever After series (at least Belle) got scrapped within a few months and a lot of other Disneyshopping / Disneystore pins have been scrapped too....but not these. Thankfully, I was able to trade for it a few weeks after the release at a PTN at DLR. :)

Did Disney wise up and use a different manufacturer for these pins? Was a Disney employee on hand to see the molds be destroyed and all the extra paint/glitter diluted (not sure how one would destroy paint except by possibly burning it)? And if Disney did wise up for these pins, how come they don't wise up for other pins?

I know, sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm curious!

I agree Li . I tried to do a co op and kept getting the runaround, so I gave up . I called The Disney Store and spoke to a manager that said there were no limits placed on how many sets you could purchase . So the ones that are saying, we are not sure if we are getting the sets are blatant liars and holding out to sell there sets at a higher cost . But like you said, its whatever, I'll live without Gothel as I did with Rapunzel . The mangaer however is going to look on ebay at completed listings, print them out, show them to her supervisors and have a change put in place, so that this doesn't happen again and that it is fair for everyone .

I agree Li . I tried to do a co op and kept getting the runaround, so I gave up . I called The Disney Store and spoke to a manager that said there were no limits placed on how many sets you could purchase . So the ones that are saying, we are not sure if we are getting the sets are blatant liars and holding out to sell there sets at a higher cost . But like you said, its whatever, I'll live without Gothel as I did with Rapunzel . The mangaer however is going to look on ebay at completed listings, print them out, show them to her supervisors and have a change put in place, so that this doesn't happen again and that it is fair for everyone .

What change could possibly be put in place?? There will always be hole in the system that people will exploit. my goodness.

True, if someone needs the money that's understandable but the sellers that started the price hike on evilbay are already pin sellers who make loads. But that's for a different time~ :p

And if I were making a $2500+ profit that would be enough for 2 months rent LOL! So expensive to live in certain areas in California @.@ especially in San Francisco.

Kinda am shocked I haven't seen more scrappers for the high demanded pins. I'm glad there isn't! But I'm also curious.

That is a good question! They haven't been scrapping any of the really expensive pins unless they have and we haven't noticed because they're just that good?! o_O!

I didn't get one, would like one, but oh well, that's life (next time I expect texts from everyone no matter the time I will get up!) :shock:

I agree supply vs. demand is the key.

It can be upsetting to hear about people buying multiple sets for resale, but whatever. They were in the right place at the right time and if they can make some money, all the more to them Someone making a $2500+ profit - hey, that's enough for rent for a few months, right?! :) Maybe this is the only way that person can make money - just don't judge (and no, I didn't get any at all).

On a side note, how come this and the princesses (both which are Disneyshopping / Disney Store pins) haven't been scrapped? I remember the Happily Ever After series (at least Belle) got scrapped within a few months and a lot of other Disneyshopping / Disneystore pins have been scrapped too....but not these. Thankfully, I was able to trade for it a few weeks after the release at a PTN at DLR. :)

Did Disney wise up and use a different manufacturer for these pins? Was a Disney employee on hand to see the molds be destroyed and all the extra paint/glitter diluted (not sure how one would destroy paint except by possibly burning it)? And if Disney did wise up for these pins, how come they don't wise up for other pins?

I know, sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm curious!

As I told her I thought they would have learned with the Disney Designer Princess Dolls . Her only suggestion was to stop buying from these profit makers and the price will go down . Ha, like that will ever happen . I'm happy with my Rapunzel Princess Doll and I will be up at 2 AM, logged in to get my Mother Gothel Doll . I don't need the pins that bad . I will live and still have money in my savings account . :lol:

The change would be 2 per email/IP addresses .

Tinker, can we safely assume you're in Point of View #1 in my first comment on this thread? I mean..whats just as worse, or close, are the people who actually called DISNEY STORE to complain...like really??? cmon everyone. Lets grow up! Believe me, if Cat and I didnt get a set we wouldnt be calling or complaning to anyone in disney authority..we'd find a way to get them regardless.

There's still ways for people to avoid that limitation, there's ways to change/fake your IP and it's very easy to create a new email account.

The only way would be to allow 2 per mailing address/payment method. So even if they had a P.O. Box,Office,Home the max they could get is 8 if they had 3 different payment methods. That's how we do it for my job.

The change would be 2 per email/IP addresses .

And if I were making a $2500+ profit that would be enough for 2 months rent LOL! So expensive to live in certain areas in California @.@ especially in San Francisco.

Kinda am shocked I haven't seen more scrappers for the high demanded pins. I'm glad there isn't! But I'm also curious.

That is a good question! They haven't been scrapping any of the really expensive pins unless they have and we haven't noticed because they're just that good?! o_O!

Nekov - I would have said in San Francisco it's good for one month of rent, not two. LOL. But then again, in Riverside, rent is $1400/month

This pin has been scrapped:
Pin 77659: DisneyStore.com - Happily Ever After Series - Belle

Sure, it started out as a $15 pin, but it does go up (if you think about it, the Designer Princesses started out as a $20 pin). So, I'm not sure what a more expensive pin would have been.

Believe me, if Cat and I didnt get a set we wouldnt be calling or complaning to anyone in disney authority..we'd find a way to get them regardless.

The gentlemanly behaviour is exactly that: Congratulate the ones that managed to score a set or two, and then quietly pay the premium and drink a cold glass of water. God knows I have done it few times myself. It stings but it is the only way.

But, the other side of the medallion are the moaners. Just like scalpers are part of the hobby, so are the moaners. You are willing to cut the scalpers some slack calling them "part of a collectible hobby", please also make a little room for moaners ;)

In an ideal world, everyone would get 2 sets: One to collect, one to trade in a fair way. But, it is not so sadly. So, both parties are entitled to their feelings.

This pin has been scrapped:

I suspect all of the pins from that series have been scrappered with the exception of Ariel. For the longest time an Ebay seller sold them directly out of Hong Kong w/o cards even when they were new releases.

Last edited:

This might be an unpopular opinion and I RARELY comment on things of this sensitivity but everyone needs to STOP with the complaints to disney. Everyone has their own opinion on how to make it "fair" for everyone but the reality is that it will never be "fair" to those who didn't get a set. I've missed out on my good share of pins and I am FULLY aware that people resell and trade high for those sets? Is it "fair" that I missed out and someone else got two? YES. Why? Because they were there first. I don't get why people insist on calling Disney as if they know how to make things better when in reality they are just upset that they didn't get pins. When I miss out on pins I don't go running to a manager and say hey did you know that person is buying two sets and is selling them on eBay? and they brought 5 siblings just to make a profit?? No I don't.

This is just the reality of the hobby. It's a competitive one. Complaining to disney will just KILL the hobby. Soon enough they'll get fed up with everyones crying and stick to selling rack pins. THEN people will cry about that.

Trying to change the system, as cat burger so eloquently put it, is useless because you will always find a way to exploit it. Want them to check IPs and credit cards? Easy, I'll call my 3 best friends who aren't pin collectors and say "hey guys buy these pins for me heres the money" and there you have it. Loophole.

Just because some people didn't get a set doesn't make it unfair. it's unlucky. If some of you were in the unlucky category then instead of complaining to disney, complain to your friends for not calling you at 2am or complain to your alarm clock for not going off or complain to yourself for not bothering to check. Complaining to Disney is like my little brother complaining that his teacher gave him a pop quiz. It's not the teacher's fault, he should have been ready...

Last edited:
Personally, I think people have lost their freaking minds. I have no idea who is buying these pins for those prices but it seems absolutely senseless to me. Market manipulation coupled with sheer panic is sending the prices on all new releases through the roof. I never thought the the Designer Princesses were worth what they were bringing (and still don't) but the current pin trading atmosphere is unlike anything I have ever seen. The closest thing I can think of is Disney Auctions but I only caught the tale end of that.

I did want the Designer Villains but don't make it a practice to hang on DPF at 2 a.m. without good reason so I completely missed them. So, I was disappointed when I saw they were release and wanted to try to find a set....that is until I saw the prices.....then I thought, "forget it, they aren't worth that". I'm to the point now where I don't trust any ebay pricing anymore. Just because there are a few people crazy enough to spend that everyone who has a set think they are entitled to that price. I also think the argument that they are at a fair price right now because some were auctions is a load of poohy. How many times do we need to see shill bidding before people stop trying to call that a "fair auction". Also, an opening bid of $500 is not a "fair auction".

There is just no reason why the villains should be worth more than the princesses. First, they are LE 200 and the princesses are LE 150. Second, in general princesses are more popular than villains. Also, not all of the princesses are still commanding high prices. Aurora, Pocahontas, Cinderella, and Tiana have been sitting out on ebay at BIN $110-ish forever with no takers. That tells me that their prices got too inflated and they aren't worth that. Ariel and Rapunzel are the only ones in super high demand and Rapunzel is like that just because so many people have Rabid Rapunzel Syndrome.

I see these pins going the way of some of the older DA pins that were auctioned off for ridiculous amounts. The bubble will burst and the people that paid the super high prices will be the ones left holding the bag. The prices will come down but the pins will still be hard to find because the people that have them won't want to give them up and take the loss but the people that want them won't be willing to pay the price. So everything will go into gridlock until someone caves.

I am not a fan at all of this "instant appreciation" game. I think the hobby is much more sustainable over time when pins are distributed at reasonable markups and then allowed to appreciate naturally by way of supply and demand. As more and more pins work their way into collections, if the pin is popular the price gradually goes up because there are fewer available. That is NOT what is happening now. Right now, it is those with the supply making the demands and that isn't right. I'd say that half of the people that "want" these pins only want them because of their perceived value and not because they actually want them.

I have never been shy about dropping cash for pins I really wanted if I thought they were worth it, but for the first time I can ever recall, I am actually hitting the point where the prices have passed what I am willing to pay. I'll never say "I'm quitting pin trading/collecting" but unless things settle down, I think I'll be winding down my involvement with pins. It just isn't worth it if this is how people are going to play it.

Sometimes I wish people would just take a stand and boycott pins for awhile. Cut off the supply of the cash and those here just to make money off of it will have to move on.

We personally think the designer villains are at a fair value. Most of the listings that have sold on eBay have been "true auctions" with 30-40 bids. Of course there are 3 views to it though.

1 view is from those who weren't able to purchase the set and are bitter that the only way to get them is to trade heavy for them or willing to spend quite a bit of money.

2nd view is from the people who actually were able to get the set at retail and are now seeing how much they are going for.

3rd views is from those who are willing to accept what the prices are and just realize its a part of this hobby that we will NEVER get away from.

This is what being in a collectible hobby is all about.

Also, lets remember, while the Edition size may be a bit higher than the princesses..these Pins are just as beautiful! AND, most of us in the pin community had thought Disney Store was done making High End pins. So for them to come out with a brand new set of this magnitude has most definitely added to the price.

The fact that it was a surprise release..which is why a lot of people are sore about not having them has also increased the price.

Do i think this will increase the price of Designer Princess...i doubt it. I think the Designer princesses have hit their plateau at a solid $1000 - $1150.

4th view- people who don't collect designers or villains. I would like to think us non-DP/DV colletors can look at it more objectively, but maybe it's more indifference. We can look at it a few ways:
  1. more than 115 each is rediculous. Price em the same way the DP's are currently set at. Similar pins, similar value.
  2. even if they are real bid auctions, prices are going to drive higher due to the mad rush panic of everyone who says "OMG I must have them NOW!" I seem te remember a Tangled PODM bid auction going over 400. but the same film cell now sells for around 275-300.

@starry Dang! And I thought $1,225 what I pay was expensive! :eek: But, such is life! Gotta have a roof over our heads! :D Also, That pin is so pretty!

On a general note.
Sure it's a shame the pins had to skyrocket so high, and I'm sure it might increase the value of the princesses, or even decrease since right now the villains are the main priority but supply-demand is sneaky and unpredictable ~! While it hurts to pay so much I haven't complained nor whined about it. Simply gave my opinion on the now expensive prices, supply-demand.

I will be getting Ursula as soon as it arrives so I'm happy! What most don't know is the co-op I started, I wanted to help people out even though $116 is a lot of money, it's still better than the evilbay prices right now, especially for Mother Gothel. And because I sold them for $116, I will be paying $160 for Ursula alone and $130 for Cruella (Unless translation decides to go with that one, then I'd have to do $130 for Maleficent) after I totaled everything.

Which I'm completely fine with even though I could have paid less or equal to that amount in single auctions on evilbay.
The reason is because when I first joined these forums 1 person was kind to me (ejangabang, I <3 you!) and zapped me for the first time (had no idea what that was at the time) for absolutely no reason other than "You're new and I would like you to have something on your most wanted!" from then on I felt I would always do my best to help here if I could.

I suspect all of the pins from that series have been scrappered with the exception of Ariel. For the longest time an Ebay seller sold them directly out of Hong Kong w/o cards even when they were new releases.

I actually never looked at the rest of the pins in the series LOL. But yes, I did see one on the bay from a Hong Kong/China seller without a card. It was a picture of the actual pin (not the pinpics pin) and it looked so off (colors, etc.)

Tinker, can we safely assume you're in Point of View #1 in my first comment on this thread? I mean..whats just as worse, or close, are the people who actually called DISNEY STORE to complain...like really??? cmon everyone. Lets grow up! Believe me, if Cat and I didnt get a set we wouldnt be calling or complaning to anyone in disney authority..we'd find a way to get them regardless.

I don't know how new you are to pin trading but people have called the Disney Store for YEARS complaining about these issues. It is because of pin traders calling an complaining that any limits got put in place at all. You know that little blurb that goes "in response to our loyal guests' requests...".....uh, yeah, that was us, myself included. Many of us "old timers"....many of whom left this place a long time ago....called and complained about the way they were running things. It used to be possible for one person to just order 50 of an LE 100 set in one order leaving nothing for anyone else. After years of complaining they finally put a change in place and people like you should be thankful for that because if we hadn't called and complained that ebay seller would have far more than 6 or however many sets under their control and you would have been SOL like the rest of us.

It would be nice to see a little compassion. Try putting yourself in other people's shoes for a minute. Nobody is saying that people aren't entitled to a little profit for their efforts, but honestly, if you did not have the good fortune to have access to a lot of these releases, how long do you honestly believe you'd be able to hang in this hobby? How discouraged would you be? How taken advantage of would you feel? And how long would it be before you just quit altogether and said it just isn't worth it?

So, before just saying other people are sour grapes perhaps it would be advantageous to take a step back and look at the big picture.

@starry Dang! And I thought $1,225 what I pay was expensive! :eek: But, such is life! Gotta have a roof over our heads! :D Also, That pin is so pretty!

Oh, I don't pay that. Someone I know pays that, but I think that's a 2 bedroom in a nicer area (still an apartment).

On a general note.
Sure it's a shame the pins had to skyrocket so high, and I'm sure it might increase the value of the princesses, or even decrease since right now the villains are the main priority but supply-demand is sneaky and unpredictable ~! While it hurts to pay so much I haven't complained nor whined about it. Simply gave my opinion on the now expensive prices, supply-demand.

Yup, a darn shame and wow, you really are taking a lot of a hit. Maybe you can sell the box?

Someone did buy the box :p It's fine though, I honestly don't mind. I'm just happy that I can get Ursula mainly and help others too and see them smile. That's worth a hit :D

Yup, a darn shame and wow, you really are taking a lot of a hit. Maybe you can sell the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back