• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What does everyone think about the value of the Designer Villain Pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think about the value of the Designer Villain Pins?
Very, very well said!

This might be an unpopular opinion and I RARELY comment on things of this sensitivity but everyone needs to STOP with the complaints to disney. Everyone has their own opinion on how to make it "fair" for everyone but the reality is that it will never be "fair" to those who didn't get a set. I've missed out on my good share of pins and I am FULLY aware that people resell and trade high for those sets? Is it "fair" that I missed out and someone else got two? YES. Why? Because they were there first. I don't get why people insist on calling Disney as if they know how to make things better when in reality they are just upset that they didn't get pins. When I miss out on pins I don't go running to a manager and say hey did you know that person is buying two sets and is selling them on eBay? and they brought 5 siblings just to make a profit?? No I don't.

This is just the reality of the hobby. It's a competitive one. Complaining to disney will just KILL the hobby. Soon enough they'll get fed up with everyones crying and stick to selling rack pins. THEN people will cry about that.

Trying to change the system, as cat burger so eloquently put it, is useless because you will always find a way to exploit it. Want them to check IPs and credit cards? Easy, I'll call my 3 best friends who aren't pin collectors and say "hey guys buy these pins for me heres the money" and there you have it. Loophole.

Just because some people didn't get a set doesn't make it unfair. it's unlucky. If some of you were in the unlucky category then instead of complaining to disney, complain to your friends for not calling you at 2am or complain to your alarm clock for not going off or complain to yourself for not bothering to check. Complaining to Disney is like my little brother complaining that his teacher gave him a pop quiz. It's not the teacher's fault, he should have been ready...

That's what I was going to say. So are the Designer Princess and Designer Villains comparable in straight across trade value 6 pins selling at $1025 ($170.83 each) now and 10 pins selling for $1150. ($115.00 each). These prices are as sets only of course. Individually certain one's are more valuable.

Right now I believe it would. If you wanna base it on recent sales wise. But the Princesses have stood the test of time so far and are still valued pretty high. The villains could just be crazy right now...but once all the sellers sell their extras..it might go down. Only time will tell i suppose?

I personally wouldnt trade 10 designer princesses straight across for 6 designer villains. But I mean if someone first hand bought the princesses, I'm sure they would do it. but the villains are up there. I would trade a designer princess for a designer villain but not all 10 for 6.

Right now I believe it would. If you wanna base it on recent sales wise. But the Princesses have stood the test of time so far and are still valued pretty high. The villains could just be crazy right now...but once all the sellers sell their extras..it might go down. Only time will tell i suppose?

I agree. it could go eityher way. you never know!

Really hard to say if it is a straight up trade until a healthy and true market can be established - which I believe that it is not (yet) We have seen sales from only 5-6 sellers and only one set at a time. 2 of those sellers did not offer any auction form, but BIN/OBO type auctions.

I remember when Up Beloved Tales was released there were few initial sales that were in the $180-$200 range. The lowest pin I have seen sold for $76 auction style. It is rather hard to decide a fair value when you have your sales all over the place.

Similarly, these sales for designer villains we see may be compared to those inital hyped UP BT sales. As more people get their sets in their hands, there will be more listings. Then we will have a better range maybe.

I am not an economist or anything, but it seems that it is tooooo early to decide.

My main concern, as Li stated earlier, is always scrappers. You get these pins with high hopes and then someone floods the market with scrappers and all of a sudden the pins lose their value. was one of my most wanted pins. Now, I would not take it even if someone gives it free :lol: I hope these 2 sets will escape that fate.

Also, another factor is how the pins look in person. I doubt that anyone got their pins in their hands yet. When designer princesses finally made their ways to their new homes, there were complaints about the holes and imperfections due to the glitter in the enamel. That seemed to put a temporary damper. I hope Disney learnt its lesson for qualty control this time.

I personally would not trade princesses for villains simply because I am not a villain collector and I tend to believe that princesses are a bit more popular than villains.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;wcLNteez3c4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcLNteez3c4&feature=related[/video]

I watch a few youtube videos and see this many posts! Talk about a hot thread :)

I think the Disney Designer Princesses will always be more popular in wants than the Designer Villians . I like Mother Gothel, but in all honesty, you can barely see her face . Only by the pictures before the criticism begins . It could be better in person .

Hum... I saw the Designer Mother Gothel pin on ebay, it was an auction and it went for about $125? I just saw another one buy now for $250. *sigh*

I personally think that the craze will die down some. I think it's crazy (the sales prices on EBay) but at the same time... if you have the money to spend and it is something you really, really want, well... that's up to those with the money to decide if it's money well spent. If they think it is, then I'm happy for them. Yes, ideally it would be great if people refrained from buying pins at the over inflated prices for the rest of us, but that's in a perfect world. Me? I'm not paying those prices for those pins - I can't, I can't afford that. However, if I had the money, I surely would and I might even buy a second set to sell at a lesser price here (if we're pretending money isn't an issue) but that's the kind of person I am. I don't know, everyone has a different outlook. I sure would love to get Maleficent and Evil Queen somewhere down the line but for right now, I'm cool. My whole plan is to wait and see. As for how I feel about the people scalping them (those who bought 5 or 6 sets) ... that sucks. No, it isn't right because those were sets someone else could've had at retail cost. I can maybe understand buying one extra to sell or two extra to help with bills and such (if money is tight) but buying 5 or 6 solely to gouge people is just lame. I understand it happens in any collecting hobby but I'll never see it as right.

Not everyone who purchased multiple sets turned around and sold them at a higher price - there are really nice people on the board who help out others. A DPF member knew I was traveling and purchased an extra set just in case I couldn't get to a computer - but I was able to get a set for me so she offered the set to another DPF member who missed out (at cost) and she was not the only one...there are lots of generous people on the boards - all you have to do is look at the zap threads. Asking Disney to apply severe limits on purchases may slow down purchases by re-sellers, but it also makes it much more difficult for collectors and traders who really do step up to help out others.

Yea... Pretty much... Soo.... What is everyone's thoughts on this cause I am actually now wanting to know lol. I want my Designer Princess pins! lol.

Right now I don't think someone will do that trade because as it stands, roughly 200 designer pins are in the mail right now (I don't know if everyone's has been confirmed), and as soon as they land, a bunch will flood Ebay (not a bunch, but a decent number), which will no doubt be the prime time to bid on the ones that do go on, so those who want the Villains and have the Princesses are waiting for that time. Once that passes and the pins dwindle on Ebay, I'm sure you might find someone who would be willing to trade most of the princess pins for the villains (I don't say all because the princesses are more limited, more exclusive since they were only D23, I would think more popular, and obviously a whole year older).

[video=youtube;wcLNteez3c4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcLNteez3c4&feature=related[/video]

I watch a few youtube videos and see this many posts! Talk about a hot thread :)

yeah....not a fan of that song...at all lol xP Just saying ^__^

Not everyone who purchased multiple sets turned around and sold them at a higher price - there are really nice people on the board who help out others. A DPF member knew I was traveling and purchased an extra set just in case I couldn't get to a computer - but I was able to get a set for me so she offered the set to another DPF member who missed out (at cost) and she was not the only one...there are lots of generous people on the boards - all you have to do is look at the zap threads. Asking Disney to apply severe limits on purchases may slow down purchases by re-sellers, but it also makes it much more difficult for collectors and traders who really do step up to help out others.

Omg that's me! I still can't believe it's happening. There are really nice people in the world and if you can't get the set now don't give into the super high prices. It just makes it super hard for others to get them. I honestly believe the villains will go down in price a little but time will tell for sure.

I'll give it a try and ask, is there anyone nice enough on the forum that got more than one set that is willing to help me to get one at cost ? If so, I will help others at cost get the villian that they truly want.
That's just it Steve and you know that I think you are super sweet, but for the few helpful members, there are many others that are out to turn profit . And when it comes to these exclusive pins, it's just the way it is .

Last edited:
I'll give it a try and ask, is there anyone nice enough on the forum that got more than one set that is willing to help me to get one at cost ? If so, I will help others at cost get the villian that they truly want.
That's just it Steve and you know that I think you are super sweet, but for the few helpful members, there are many others that are out to turn profit . And when it comes to these exclusive pins, it's just the way it is .

Truer words were never spoken lol xP When it comes to these things, it'll never be fair, but that isn't up to our discretion. The most we can do is hope that within these forums, someone is nice enough to help others out (which clearly is the case which those in the "Zap" section as Steve mentioned). If it was fair in every aspect and every way (impossible in other words), I know right now I'd sure have a definite Ursula and maybe Maleficent pin (god knows how much I want Ursula lol xP) coming from somewhere. I'm not saying that those of you who got extra sets aren't nice for not selling them to others for no profit or barely any at all, I just wanted to make that clear lol xP Didn't want to start something out of nothing.

Last edited:
This is the last thing I needed. This is the last thing anyone needed.

I was sitting outside by the street corner at the local café; hat tipped over one eye. Who says a sleuth like me can’t enjoy a cup of joe while doing some detective work? Word on the street is that there are six new babes in town. Normally, I would be eyeing gals like these, but darkness got to them before I could. They even have nicknames…“Villains” they call them.

Out of the corner of my eye I see her. With gams like those, you stick out like a sore thumb. It was Cruella. Her name literally meant “Devil” and she certainly lived up to the name. She wasn’t a cheap gal, and enjoyed the fine aspects in life. But, with high fashion comes high crime in this town. Good thing this town has me….

She was smoking her signature cig when her driver pulled up. It was time to act, and act fast before she got away. Damn, I hope my flask is full.

This is the last thing I needed. This is the last thing anyone needed.

I was sitting outside by the street corner at the local café; hat tipped over one eye. Who says a sleuth like me can’t enjoy a cup of joe while doing some detective work? Word on the street is that there are six new babes in town. Normally, I would be eyeing gals like these, but darkness got to them before I could. They even have nicknames…“Villains” they call them.

Out of the corner of my eye I see her. With gams like those, you stick out like a sore thumb. It was Cruella. Her name literally meant “Devil” and she certainly lived up to the name. She wasn’t a cheap gal, and enjoyed the fine aspects in life. But, with high fashion comes high crime in this town. Good thing this town has me….

She was smoking her signature cig when her driver pulled up. It was time to act, and act fast before she got away. Damn, I hope my flask is full.

marry me?! hahahaha
jk

really loving your work here!

Just so you know they are on the forum. There are a few that are selling them that are on here. So everytime a person refers to the ebay scalpers or the person on ebay they are seeing these comments and reacting by selling at higher prices and cancelling orders on ebay. Some of the cancellations might be legit but some aren't im sure. But in their defense they got the pins and can ask whatever they want it's up to the individual buyer to make that choice. If someone is willing to pay their asking price then so be it. Congratulations to everyone that got these and good luck to everyone that is still looking. :)

Truer words were never spoken lol xP When it comes to these things, it'll never be fair, but that isn't up to our discretion. The person on Ebay who scalped all those sets may not even be on these forums (at least as far as I know), the most we can do is hope that within these forums, some people are nice enough to help others out (which clearly is the case which those in the "Zap" section as Steve mentioned). If it was fair, I know right now I'd sure have a definite Ursula and maybe Maleficent pin (god knows how much I want Ursula lol xP) coming from somewhere. I'm not saying that those of you who got extra sets aren't nice for not selling them to others for no profit or barely any at all, I just wanted to make that clear lol xP Didn't want to start something out of nothing.

Last edited:
Just so you know they are on the forum. There are a few that are selling them that are on here. So everytime a person refers to the ebay scalpers or the person on ebay they are seeing these comments and reacting by selling at higher prices and cancelling orders on ebay. Some of the cancellations might be legit but some aren't im sure. But in their defense they got the pins and can ask whatever they want it's up to the individual buyer to make that choice. If someone is willing to pay their asking price then so be it. Congratulations to everyone that got these and good luck to everyone that is still looking. :)

Okay, I edited it in case some people might have taken offense to it, the last thing I want to do is become the instigator in preventing someone from getting these pins :)

I have been pin trading since the summer of 2009. I have spent a considerable amount of money on pins...like, a lot. And this is the first time since I started collecting that I have been truly sad over a release...not because I super want these pins, but because of the prices they are commanding.

Back when DS.com was doing their weekly releases, I was fortunate enough to grab a few nice sets and individual pins at cost, which over time have helped me obtain some great pins for my collection, so I understand that these pins will have nice trading power. I think this is good for the newer collectors...so they can "compete" with the traders that have "big-time" pins (and thus, the pin trading cycle can continue :)). But the prices these Designer Villains are commanding are (in my opinion) borderline ridiculous. Never have I seen a pin set that originally sold for $150 instantly fetch over $700 (and up) a week after the release...not to mention no one has even SEEN these pins in person yet! Disney is horrible at quality control...so it's not out of the question that many of these pins could potentially have flaws.

I think in two years time these pins will not reach nearly the prices they are going for now. With the exception of Maleficent (who has always been fairly popular), and the Rapunzel completists that need Mother Gothel, the other villains featured are not extremely popular...not to mention villains as a whole is not nearly the powerhouse that is "Disney Princess". I just cant comprehend the prices people are paying for these pins...I really can't...

The people that were fortunate enough to purchase these pins from DS.com are obviously entitled to do whatever they want with them, but this particular release has me worried for future releases. If we see this happening with Villains, what would happen if DS.com decides to release another really awesome Princess set in the future...are we just supposed to accept that if we aren't one of the lucky few that purchase at cost...we have to pay almost $1000 for it instead or miss out?

One of the more memorable highly-wanted sets DS.com released before they stopped doing their weekly releases was the Screen Legends Jessica set. This set retailed for $140 and featured six LE 100 pins. I would argue that Jessica is more popular than Villains in the collecting world, yet the highest I have ever seen this set sell for is around $500. I just really can't wrap my head around these newly accepted price hikes, and makes me wonder how much longer I can keep up in this hobby...and this is the first time I have ever felt like that.

And a random side note: Why can't DS.com start releasing things at 9 PST and 12 EST so us East coasters at least have a shot? When things are "surprise released" at 3 AM for us...it definitely puts us at a disadvantage. It is much more do-able to stay up until Midnight as opposed to 3 in the morning. :)

I'm anxious to see how these end up doing in the long run. I think they are over inflated because people missed out on them and the princess set goes for big bucks, plus everyone wants them. It seems that whenever there is a surprise release or a really wanted pin, the price is through the roof until the next hot item is released & then its the same thing with that one-over inflated prices, people's cries of "it's not fair" & calling Disney/DSF to complain, yet when they DO get one of these releases, they are here bragging about how they got a set but that they'd never sell it for more than its worth like "those" people or how they are for trying to get one for thier "friend" that really deserves it, but no one will sell them one at cost those evil people that have the pin they want! Funny how Disney's policies are only bad when they dont get what they want. Also, I think the constant complaints may be why DS stopped doing pins which is a shame because a lot of the DS pins are my favorites in my collection & I really miss the Halloween pins they put out every year. People's complaints about the PODM pins probably made them decide to end that at the end of the year, and Im waiting to see what DSF ends up doing regarding pins with all the complaints they get there.

I dont see the villain pins going for much higher than they are now, but we'll see. When I woke up that morning & saw they were sold out, it was "I want them!!!" but after a day or two of seeing how high they were going for, they didnt look as appealing to me. It will be interesting to see what happens with these & how they look in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back