• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What's your pin trading pet peeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your pin trading pet peeve?
I'll chime in. Everyone pretty much covered the things that bug me. But the main thing is smugness. People who, when you walk up with them, they give you the *shifty eye*. Rather than talk to you like a normal person, they treat you like you're in a store and respond to you in short sentences. Now I'll admit I've never had the best traders but I usually have a few le's on me and I try to be very flexible and willing to make any trade. When they see you don't have anything they want or not good enough pins, they give you the cold shoulder, ignore you, or lecture you on your lackluster collection, and how they're not worth as much as theirs, and thus you're an ignorant little child. It's happened to me a few times at Disneyland. AAgh!

People with books and books full on nice pins who won't trade you anything but your first born for what you want. These people make me cry. Repeatedly. What's the point in pin trading if you WILL NOT TRADE? When I'm at the park I keep a lanyard of pretty nice pins on, but pins I don't care about, so I can trade without saying no. So I make someone happy, you know!

I was probably guilty of this, but never intentionally. I've only been doing this for a few months, and so while still building up my collection, would always carry all my pins with me, since I didn't have many. I was lucky enough to get a grail and a few HTF pins in the beginning, and since they were just a few pins, would have them with me. Of course, those were the ones ppl always wanted, and always felt bad saying no, but wanted to keep my pins all together.

Now I've got more pins, so have finally separated out my keepers, but still have them w me when i go to the park, because you never know, there might be that ONE pin that only one of your keepers will get you.

But I hope that anyone that I've met/traded with hasn't gotten upset w me because of this!

This has happened to me a few times, when I make a trade I get so excited to see a pin that I really would like, so I don't inspect it thoroughly (my fault), so I go ahead with the trade, but later upon inspecting it that it is damaged. :/ Ie stones have fallen out, it's really dirty, etc. And the trader fails to mention it during the trade. I often feel too embarrassed to go back so I just keep the pin. But I wish the trader would have informed me if they knew.

I tend to get this as soon as they see the UK address
Some of my best trades have been from the UK. I will admit that I always try to do MULTI trades to help with the postage.
But regardless, I always respond to anyone and everyone who takes time to make me an offer or ask a question.

I have not yet ended up turning down a UK trade. I always explain that I like to do multi trades when shipping over seas and ask them to see if they may fina a couple more pins thay might like.

I've got two.

One is the trader whose pins are each worth $50 on ebay.

Two is the adult who uses their kids to dump off scrappers or counterfeits for something better. (I have a kids lanyard that kids can trade any pin for pin--I keep it filled with a lot of different rack and hidden mickey pins that kids enjoy). I sometimes see adults send their kids over to dump off junk for something better. I actually had someone have their kid trade for something off the kid lanyard that they then tried to trade to me for something out of my book. I took the trade just to get rid of them and then I put their trade back on my kid's lanyard.

... Two is the adult who uses their kids to dump off scrappers or counterfeits for something better. (I have a kids lanyard that kids can trade any pin for pin--I keep it filled with a lot of different rack and hidden mickey pins that kids enjoy).

Hi Charles, hope you are well:) Wow, that's low, that's never happened to me personally but it would certainly peeve the heck out of me!!!!

I'll start it off.

I receive a pinpics trade request in the a.m., later that afternoon I send an email accepting the trade. Now i'm all excited about the trade !!! Ok, so then I get an email saying, sorry but that pin has been traded already?!? :rolleyes:

Now I realize that you can send out many requests in exchange for one pin, but nevertheless, it NEVER fails to bum me out when this happens:(

I'm guilty of this one. I got fed up of sending one trade request at a time and getting no answer that I sent out a whole bunch. And ended up with a whole lot of accepting in return. Oy.

But I am trying to work out different trades with them all.

I agree, most of these I have unaccounted and hope to never do!!!

I try to be a fair trader, but there are times, especially at the parks, where you will meet that one person who makes you steam!

Their child is new to trading and they can not understand the value of different pins.

There are people who travel, spend hours in line and then pay more for a pin that should be legal (lol), and yet mom or dad walk up and think you should trade it away for what appears to be a very bad scrapper.

I also love when I am at the park and the cast members have their books out and the crowd starts coming to see what you have after reviewing the books. There is always that one parent/grandparent who says, oh don;t look at them, they don't HAVE to trade with you. ARGH. I purposely put on my nicey nicey face and go into the whole reason behind pin trading the different value that people put on trades. I also ask me to show me their favorite pin and ask if they would trade it to me for one of my Hidden Mickey's. You should see their face. It's like I asked them for their first born. I then explain that the value they have on that pin, is worth more to them, then what I am offering, hence the whole idea of not everyone wanting to trade away just any pin for any pin.

They look like they get it after I do this. The whole time though I am sweet as sugar and not condescending. I want them to understand and gain some knowledge at that same time. :)

I try to be a fair and easy trader. I have made hundreds of trades, and made so many wonderful pin trading friends via this hobby! I love to trade with those "overseas" and repeat folks. I can not say enough positive things about pin trading and the pleasure it has brought to our family.
but......
What I am tired of are the few traders out there that I have labelled "sharks". What I have is not of equal measure to them, (I have over 1,000 pins with many really good LE pins) and their pins are the "rarest of the rare"! So I make (what I think is reasonable) an offer via TA. I get a response from them- they are not interested in what I have offered, but they would like (oh, lets say 6) of some of my best LE older pins LE 100, 125, 250. They want them all and they offer me an assortment of their pins that I will admit is less than stellar (le 3600, le 1800, you get it), maybe, just maybe they have included the original pin I asked for as "hostage"... Of course, I counter back with a polite "no thanks" how about even 1 of the pins that I requested for one of these that you want? Guess what- I never hear a word back! These are not newbies, but folks who I wonder do this repeatedly to obtain pins to sell on ebay? What is the deal here? How many folks get taken advantage of here?

Another pet peeve is the trader that accepts and makes trades for pins that she does not have! Come to find out, many on her list are not nor have ever been in her possession. So I wait and wait for my pin to arrive. Guess what? I never get it, nor can I get back the pin I traded for it, as she has traded that away in a trade made to obtain a pin to trade... Get it? I never did get my pin, nor did I get a pin equal in value to the one I sent her! Am I crazy, or is this done all the time?

I try to be a fair and easy trader. I have made hundreds of trades, and made so many wonderful pin trading friends via this hobby! I love to trade with those "overseas" and repeat folks. I can not say enough positive things about pin trading and the pleasure it has brought to our family.
but......
What I am tired of are the few traders out there that I have labelled "sharks". What I have is not of equal measure to them, (I have over 1,000 pins with many really good LE pins) and their pins are the "rarest of the rare"! So I make (what I think is reasonable) an offer via TA. I get a response from them- they are not interested in what I have offered, but they would like (oh, lets say 6) of some of my best LE older pins LE 100, 125, 250. They want them all and they offer me an assortment of their pins that I will admit is less than stellar (le 3600, le 1800, you get it), maybe, just maybe they have included the original pin I asked for as "hostage"... Of course, I counter back with a polite "no thanks" how about even 1 of the pins that I requested for one of these that you want? Guess what- I never hear a word back! These are not newbies, but folks who I wonder do this repeatedly to obtain pins to sell on ebay? What is the deal here? How many folks get taken advantage of here?

Another pet peeve is the trader that accepts and makes trades for pins that she does not have! Come to find out, many on her list are not nor have ever been in her possession. So I wait and wait for my pin to arrive. Guess what? I never get it, nor can I get back the pin I traded for it, as she has traded that away in a trade made to obtain a pin to trade... Get it? I never did get my pin, nor did I get a pin equal in value to the one I sent her! Am I crazy, or is this done all the time?

This happened to my friend, the part about never even getting the pin because they traded it. How do you trade away a pin that you just received, without knowing that you are doing so without sending one out? Just can't be done.

I will admit, geez I'm doing that a lot lately, that I have accepted trades and then found out I did not have the pin anymore. :-( I am a little ditsy sometimes.

I recently made a trade for a rare vinylmation and looked everywhere for it. I knew I took it out of my book, because I was in the middle of trading it away, but could not find it!! Finally I decided that if I did not find it before Monday, I would have to spend extra money to buy one, and they are not cheap. I would rather do that then to say I did not have it. I was glad to finally find it. I guess I had put it back in my book. Oiy Vey....ditsy I tell you!

I will admit, geez I'm doing that a lot lately, that I have accepted trades and then found out I did not have the pin anymore. :-( I am a little ditsy sometimes.

That's been happening to me too lately. :( I'm usually really good about keeping my Pinpics lists up do date but apparently I've been slacking a bit. I need to go through and do an "audit".

I think the one thing that really grinds my gears is when someone OFFERS a trade, talks to you about it, then tries to get you to get pins from somebody else just because they won't trade with that person for some unknown reason. THEN!!!! After basically agreeing to the trade, you let them know if they are still a go and they come back with: oh..i dont know..I have to see..someone else wants the pin im offering YOU as well and they also have some pins I want. Please don't accept a trade or lead someone on, then go and make the same/almost the same trade offer with other people. Just to see which one is the best. I know it's different through pinpics, since you sent out an array of trade offerings. But when you go and directly message someone about it and initiate the trade. ARGH!

I can't stand it when someone says "make me an offer" and so you do and then they just come back with a "no thank you".

Well, that's why it's called an "offer" and not a "set deal." For example: I have a low LE pin and another trader has low LEs that I would consider equal trades, maybe not anything I need, but I try to work out a trade so he/she could get the pin you want. Then the person coming back with the offer is offering a rack pin (seriously, it's happened to me). Am I going to accept it? HECK NO. And I'm not obligated (no one is). I've made offers and gotten a "no thank you." I'm fine with that--that's the fun of trading, trying to get something you want, sometimes it takes a while (online OR in person).

And I feel d--ed if I do, d--ed if I don't in responding with a "no thank you" to trade requests. Some people are annoyed to get a response, some people are annoyed if they don't get one. I don't care either way. I send a response. If I send out a trade request and don't get any responses, I think it's fair to assume the person(s) isn't interested.

Okay, my pet peeve? Someone looks at my collection (on Pinpics) and wants to trade for something from there. NO. It's my COLLECTION, look at my traders. I'm not parting with anything in my collection, because...IT'S MY COLLECTION. That's why they call it a COLLECTION. :rant:

Other peeves: People who (in my opinion) don't know the definitions and differences between "shark" and "hard trader." Some people are hard or difficult traders because they don't have the money to buy many pins, and they have to be careful of how they trade (I know some). To me, a shark is someone who tries to cheat you out of your pins for whatever you want of theirs. They belittle your pin(s) in comparison to theirs, try to get you to buy several *good* pins in exchange for whichever *one* you want of theirs. I don't bother with those people.

The other...people who discuss scrappers, counterfeit and fantasy pins and don't know what they are--they are three different things.

Hannette

That's been happening to me too lately. :( I'm usually really good about keeping my Pinpics lists up do date but apparently I've been slacking a bit. I need to go through and do an "audit".

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to. My traders are shared with my cousin so we both try to keep up with what has been traded but we're both incredibly forgetful. I always feel really bad when you accept an offer, only to realize you traded it away already. It happens but I couldn't imagine just being like, "oh well, I don't have it so I wont tell the other person and not send anything in return." Who does that?!
I had to go one by one to make sure our trades list was accurate.

I'm afraid I have to go with the guys who don't get responses to PinPics requests.

Example here is I sent out seven requests over this past weekend for various pins, I've had one response from a trader in Japan that was polite and courteous and ahs resulted in a trade for me:)

This, however, des not excuse in my opinion the 'manners' of people who cannot be bothered to even acknowledge the request.

All it needs is a polite 'no thanks' reply, courtesy costs nothing.

And I also agree with my fellow UK pin traders with regard to the UK store cast lanyards....it would be nice to see them worn more often and for the CM's to be more involved, but I also think it's upto us to educate them as well.......:)

Kev.

Ok, now that it seems some people get upset when no one responds to the Pinpics requests, I will start sending back "no thank you" from now on.

I avoided it because, most of the time someone would ask me to review their trades and see what else they would have to trade for it.

If you sent me a request for a LE of mine and you are offering an easy to find Hidden Mickey, then I am not going to bother looking at your trades, because, truthfully, I don't trust you.

I know I know, you are all going to scream at me. Not everyone is the same, I get that, but let's be honest and say that most of these kinds of trades come from people we like to call SHARKS. Why do I say this? Because for the last 1 1/2 years I have been trading, I get the same trade requests from the same people. Thier easy and possibly scrapped Hidden Mickey for my LE125, hard to find.

I'm getting off my soap box now, and will start responding to all Pinpics requests. Oiy. :)

Vicki

I have no problem with your reasons, Vicki :)

It would just be nice to get an acknowledgement and we all know, that, because of how the trade assistant currently works, it values all pins the same, which is not unfortunatley the case on most occasions and this would also be extremly difficult to factor in to the system.

But thanks for the consideration :)

Kev.

I have no problem with your reasons, Vicki :)

It would just be nice to get an acknowledgement and we all know, that, because of how the trade assistant currently works, it values all pins the same, which is not unfortunatley the case on most occasions and this would also be extremly difficult to factor in to the system.

But thanks for the consideration :)

Kev.

Sure enough!!! :)

One of the big ones for me is when I try to understand how a person values their pins so that I can make a reasonable offer. When I make an offer that is reasonable (based on that person's values) they tell me that it is rediculous because of another set of values.

Case in point: I made an offer through PinPics and got a response (I thought tis was a great sign) saying that it was an unfair trade because of the original cost of the pins i was offering (not the current value, ebay value, etc.). So I put together another offer based on the original cost of the pins (though I knew that ther person was going to say no because one of the pins I wanted from them was an LE 100 that was worth much more than the original DA selling price). As expected, the person came back saying that that was rediculous because the LE 100 pin of theirs was worth way more than what I was offering. I pointed out that they had said that they went off of original selling price. I was told that I was being unreasonable because the pins I was asking for were exceptions.

Isn't that always the case: My pins are the exception because they are worth so much more than your pins.

I may be one of the guilty offenders of bad Pinpics offers. Sometimes, when I'm offering up a pin, I'll just start clicking, and when I have an LE want that's intermingled with some non-LE wants, then oops. When someone responds with a challenge to this request, I always apologize and make a reasonable counter-offer, if possible.

But, you wouldn't believe how many "no thanks" I've turned into trades after comparing want/trade lists! So, if your goal is to trade, even a simple response to the request might result in something good!

I'm afraid I have to go with the guys who don't get responses to PinPics requests.

Example here is I sent out seven requests over this past weekend for various pins, I've had one response from a trader in Japan that was polite and courteous and ahs resulted in a trade for me:)

This, however, des not excuse in my opinion the 'manners' of people who cannot be bothered to even acknowledge the request.

All it needs is a polite 'no thanks' reply, courtesy costs nothing.

And I also agree with my fellow UK pin traders with regard to the UK store cast lanyards....it would be nice to see them worn more often and for the CM's to be more involved, but I also think it's upto us to educate them as well.......:)

Kev.

I dont think they should be that involved with trading, yeah fair enough get trained on the lanyard and the general rules etc for trading with the customers but not for us to go in and overwhelm them with terms and meanings.

One example I will mention is after the Manchester pin meet about 6 of us went into the Disney store and we all had a look at the lanyard and one of us went 'thats a scrapper and thats one' to the CM and I saw the look of 'huh??' on his face which I think we as UK traders shouldnt do as yes they work there but its not a vital part for them really.

I know if I didnt know about pins etc and I worked in the disney store and got traders talking fakes, scrappers, unofficial etc then Id not like that..so I think we should respect them for at least having trading lanyards and making the effort.

Okay, my pet peeve? Someone looks at my collection (on Pinpics) and wants to trade for something from there. NO. It's my COLLECTION, look at my traders. I'm not parting with anything in my collection, because...IT'S MY COLLECTION. That's why they call it a COLLECTION. :rant:

I just did this last night, oops! I've seen a ton of people on the boards say stuff like 'hey, if you don't find what you want on my traders, I'd consider a trade from my owns.' So in the particular trade I was asked for an LE100 and I didn't see much that interested me, so I checked out her owns, found a couple, and asked if she'd be willing to trade any from the list I'd made (which I mentioned were all on her owns list).

I guess it's all a matter of knowing your trade partner. Slowly and steadily, I'm getting there. :)

I would definilty have to agree with most of these pet peeves...So along with the many GREAT ones that have already been said!....One thing I hate is traders (probably more of the sharks and stuck up traders) making me feel small and stupid. I'm probably a bit younger then a lot of the traders (esp the ones that stand at the Dland tables) and my collection is THAT big, but I think I have some decent pins. And I'm pretty small too so I probably look a lot younger then I am and I feel like those traders mentioned above really try to take advantage of me or just dont take me seriously. I mean I am no expert but I know a thing or two about values of pins and what not. But when you go look at their pins then send out that vibe that just makes you feel like you are annoying them cuz obviously a person like me wont have any pins of value....And I hate when their answers are "I'm sorry, you dont have anything I NEED." Well really none of us NEED these pins....we WANT them. I would rather them say something like, you don't have anything I would trade them for. Because that is another annoyance I have. Just because a person doesnt have something I "want" I will still try to trade for another tradable pin....because the pins your are saving for pins you "want...NEED" might not be the pins the people who have your wants are looking for, they might have wanted that pin the person had that you just sent away. Thats the fun of trading, well thats what I like about trading :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back