• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

your thoughts on backer etiquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
your thoughts on backer etiquette?
I personally prefer backer cards but I learned early on, that if I want the backer card I should ask if the pin comes on one.

I traded for a POH back about 2 years ago, when I first started trading, and I "assumed" it would arrive with the backer card. When it did not I was totally disappointed, but did not contact the other person, because I figured I should have asked first.

So NEVER assume your pin will be on a backer card! Even if they have specialty backer cards!

Vicki

I like all my pins on backers unless trading in the parks with cm. I just ask if it has a card and if not if they just have a spare one they could put it on, beacuse im obsessed with having them on the cards haha! but i say if not, it doesnt matter I'll still have it and see if ican get a card from somwhere :)

I agree with the majority. I always assume no backer card and the times I really want a backer card is for pins like POH so I ask before I confirm the trade. If I received a POH without the backer card and didn't ask beforehand, that's my fault. Another trader I traded with does the same. Backer cards are important to her and she makes sure they come with it before confirming.

Helen, don't buy them another pin!

Some people can be real snooty about this type of thing. My attitude is that it's fine if you specify beforehand you want it on the card or I will specify myself, but if you don't say anythign and are "disappointed" then sorry, it's not my responsibility.

":D

Thanks everyone for voicing your opinions. I think in this specific case, I was as I said a little caught off guard. With another exchange or two of email, it was clear to me that he/she wasn't snooty, just clear about his/her wants. Since I have a bunch of San Francisco Disney Store backers, I am going to send one over in an envelope -- that's almost no additional cost to me, and it sounds like it will make the other person very happy. Making someone very happy for almost no cost, now that sounds like a great deal to me. ;)

I appreciate all the thoughts here about backers, I feel like I've learned a lot!

It really depends on the collector. For me, personally, I don't care about the backing cards, I find them annoying, they seem to breed in my pin box!

But I have noticed recently that a lot of people are asking if my traders have original backing cards and if I suggest a trade they mention that it does/does not have a backing card. In the end, I just put my pins in a pin bag and zip it up and keep the backers to put my trading pins on. Although, I have seen some people put their pins in their bags attached to their original backing card, for me that just wastes space, but its everyone's personal opinion :)

Pin Pics is not an online auction site, no one should expect to receive the pin as it appears in the picture on Pin Pics. 95% of my traders will be on backing cards but only because I've bought them especially to trade. I've never had questions or requests for backing cards, but I can understand that it's important to some.

I believe the only time you should have to specify that the pin does or does not come on a backing card is when you're selling, not trading. And if it is an important factor for a trade then the person requesting the pin should let the sender know.

I always display my pins whether in my HM pin bags or in a frame on the wall, with their original cards attached. Especially if the cards have cool artwork like the O-Pin House pins or limited editions. And when I sell or trade a pin, I try to give someone the original cards if I have them. But I agree, it should be up to the buyer to ask first if they care about having the backer card. I've displayed all my new Alice pins on a shelf with other Alice items. I love em'!

Last edited:
I personally have a stack of backer cards of which I don't even know if we have the pins for anymore or not.

Perhaps that person can look into starting "Backercardpics.com" instead of making assumptions about pinpics. I'm sure tons of other people would be glad to get rid of their random backer card pile :)

I personally have a stack of backer cards of which I don't even know if we have the pins for anymore or not.

Perhaps that person can look into starting "Backercardpics.com" instead of making assumptions about pinpics. I'm sure tons of other people would be glad to get rid of their random backer card pile :)

Funny!!!! Everyone tends to give me backer cards, because when I first started collecting (not trading) I threw away all my backer cards. Specialty, whatever. Now I like them, but can't seem to find them.

People have been very kind to send me their backer cards they no longer want.

I am still one of the people who ask's if the pin comes on a card though. I figure if you want it, then you should ask for it. If it is a specialty pin with a specialtl backer card, I try to mention that mine has or does not have the backer card. Of course sometimes I do not even know if the pin is a specialty. :)

Vicki

I have always been crazy about keeping my cards. I don't usually turn down a trade b/c a pin does not have it though. If I am making a trade and I have the card I send it but since some of my pins were either bought from people who did not have the cards any longer or traded for them with no cards I don't always have them. I expect the person to ask if it is on the card if that is something that is a must for them. Unless the card was just really special I can't see turning down a trade b/c of the lack of the card although it might make me want to make the trade a little less than if it did have the card.

I have to admit I was pretty annoyed recently when somebody backed out of a multi trade just b/c one of the pins was not on the black backer card. It was nothing special, just he plain black card and the pin was in perfect shape. I was really excited about the trade and she flat backed out just b/c of the lack and the card and said she would never ever trade a pin without the original card. I had no idea some people were THAT picky! I have been a little frustrated about that ever since then...lol The thing was it was a pin I bought from the parks brand new so I KNOW I had the card but I spent over an hour one night just going through every single black card I had trying to find it for her with no luck so I don't know what I did with it. I hate that I had to loose out on the trade just b/c I was lacking a simple black card. I could have understood if it were a special card. :-S

DO NOT buy a pin for the backer.
I have done literally 1000 trades and unless it is something special and I ask for the backer prior to agreeing, no backer is requires.
For example, when I traded for a few of the POH pins, the backer was important and I asked in advance.
It is their fault not to ask.

When I do include backer cards, rarely are they to the pin I am sending rather just something to pin them too.
Other pins I would want a backer is like POMH (piece of movie history) and certain pins that are specific to the pin.

BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK.

Technically, when using the TA on pinpics it says, this pin for that pin. No mention of a backer.

...BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK.
Communication is key. I used to get offers from someone who was very direct - "Looking for mint on card/original packaging." That sure made it easy to know if it was even an option to start dialog.

I get nauseous every time I think about the *large* box of DA LE backer cards I tossed in, oh, about 2007; thinking, gosh, I'll never use these again. [/insert gagging sounds] Live, learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back