• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

2014 Designer Dolls - Fairytale Collection Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Designer Dolls - Fairytale Collection Part II
I don't know where else to post.

Designer Belle shirt is on Disney Store:

http://www.disneystore.com/belle-fashion-tee-for-women/mp/1344404/1000228/

I wish the UK got stuff like this :(

I cannot wait for the rest of the Disney Fairytale Designer Collection. Personally, I would be devastated if Pocahontas was swapped out or not included in the second part of the set. I can see the point of "she's not a real princess" but I was raised with her being a princess, so in my mind, she is, and she's always been my favorite. I hate to say it, as an 18 year old adult, but there would be tears if Pocahontas was snubbed with DFDC.

However, I am also rooting for a heroines set! That seems like it might actually happen! And I would love a male villains set, but that's that's unlikely.

The only couples set that would interest me would be Aurora and Phillip... I do not think it exists yet??

Male villains would be very cool. I like the designer style of dolls, they are more 'grown up' collectables than the other ones.

How do we know when something will be released?

I really, really, really, really, hope that they do something different for Aurora in the designer collection. She and Rapunzel are my favorites after Ariel and I really hope they do something special for her design especially since her movie is being re-released next year. A briar rose outfit is long overdue! I am hoping and wishing ♥

I was thinking this too. They can make another two doll set not romantic couple related, and it can include:
Anna and Elsa
Merida and Queen Elinor

But I'm not sure who could be in the other sets though:
Cinderella and Termaine?
Aurora and Maleficent?
Ariel and Vanessa?
Rapunzel and Mother Gothel?
Snow White and Evil Queen?

I'd still like to see them go back to the original concept again once more with the other characters, Esmerelda, Wendy, Alice, Sally, Jessica, Meg.
LOL Ariel with Vanessa. I remember someone here wanted an LE 3-pack of Rapunzel with her parents. The original concept would have worked better for the villains if they had expanded and added the male ones as well. 10 set of villains to match the 10 set of princesses as well for the princes without straying. I think couples would have work as well for the other characters. Wouldn't it be cool to have an Esme and Phoebus or Meg and Herc or Jane and Tarzan? I can only imagine Tarzan with that long rooted hair. I also think the OC would work on the heroes and heroines whom I call the gals and galans because they have more abstract fashions and unrealistically perfect hair.

I am one of the ones who has been very vocal of having Rapunzel and her parents, I think that would look great, but I would love an actual doll collection/line of the princesses with their parents or parent, I think that would be amazing!! Please Disney, make this happen!

I cannot wait for the rest of the Disney Fairytale Designer Collection. Personally, I would be devastated if Pocahontas was swapped out or not included in the second part of the set. I can see the point of "she's not a real princess" but I was raised with her being a princess, so in my mind, she is, and she's always been my favorite. I hate to say it, as an 18 year old adult, but there would be tears if Pocahontas was snubbed with DFDC.

However, I am also rooting for a heroines set! That seems like it might actually happen! And I would love a male villains set, but that's that's unlikely.

i would be upset if she wasnt included too, her and belle are all I want from the set haha! If anything Mulan isnt a princess as she doesnt marry a prince, Pocahontas is the daughter of the chief so technically a princess!! But I see mulan as a princess too because she is part of the line up :)

I also hope that Pocahontas isn't given the shaft if they do a part 2 in the DDFTC. She is one of my top favorites and I think could look quit stunning if done right. I really hope they do a heroine line down the road. I would love to see Alice, Tinkerbell, Esmeralda and Megara. As mentioned they could include Elsa, Anna and Merida to help sales a bit. Tink and Alice are both popular, iconic characters for Disney and I am actually surprised at the lack of Alice merchandise considering how popular she is. Esmeralda and Meg seem to be the most popular of the "forgotten" Disney leading ladies. Jane could be a possible inclusion but as mentioned Tarzan has a weird reputation. It was pretty popular and did well when it was initially released but seems to be kinda forgotten now. I think it may be a combination of it coming at the very end of the renaissance when Disney had more competition n the animation department and it isn't a traditional musical like the rest of the renaissance films. Kida has even less of a chance although she would make a cool looking doll with her dark skin/light eyes/white hair combo.

They could do the different edition sizes like the did for the original designer line. 10,000 for Elsa, Anna and Merida, 8,000 for Alice and Tink, 6,000 for Meg and Esmeralda and if they include Kida and Jane 4,000 for them. I agree that limited edition dolls for characters like Esmeralda, Meg and Jane would sell well because those characters get no merchandise anymore and a lot of people buying these dolls have grown up with these characters and remember seeing their films. Plus being that there is so little merch for them out there it makes the even more coveted and rare.

A male villain line would be cool to. They could include Jafar, Captain Hook, Hades, Dr. Facilier, Gaston and SPOILER.......................................................................................................................................................................................................hans.........................

But
they have a lot of cool options to choose from.

That sounds cool, but I don't think Merida could move 10,000 units, and I'm sure Tinkerbell and Alice could ;) To be honest I'm wondering if they are just going to slip Merida under the rug, her classic dolls are going on sale, stuff that was planned in advance is being sold, but not replenished. She may disappear completely 0_o

i would be upset if she wasnt included too, her and belle are all I want from the set haha! If anything Mulan isnt a princess as she doesnt marry a prince, Pocahontas is the daughter of the chief so technically a princess!! But I see mulan as a princess too because she is part of the line up :)

Pocahontas has always been technically a princess to me too; I never understood when people said she wasn't. Mulan isn't a princess, but I never understood why some people wanted her kicked out due to this technicality either. To me, Mulan trumps all the other 'true' princesses. Brave and heroic and humble and the smartest- much smarter than Belle who for some reason is always considered the 'intelligent' one just because she reads and has brown hair or whatever (and I love Belle). Yet just because Mulan isn't technically royalty she should not be part of the princess line and never be promoted or have merchandise? It's as if royalty was more important than character. I never took the 'Princess' part so literally. To me, they are simply the most popular Disney heroines. I also have no problem with having buttloads of Disney heroines in the princess line, whether they are technically royalty or not. The more the merrier. If heroines like Alice, Esmeralda, Jane, or Meg were in the princess line, we may get dolls of them once in a while, which would be nice.

Last edited:
Pocahontas has always been technically a princess to me too; I never understood when people said she wasn't. Mulan isn't a princess, but I never understood why some people wanted her kicked out due to this technicality either. To me, Mulan trumps all the other 'true' princesses. Brave and heroic and humble and the smartest- much smarter than Belle who for some reason is always considered the 'intelligent' one just because she reads and has brown hair or whatever (and I love Belle). Yet just because Mulan isn't technically royalty she should not be part of the princess line and never be promoted or have merchandise? It's as if royalty was more important than character. I never took the 'Princess' part so literally. To me, they are simply the most popular Disney heroines. I also have no problem with having buttloads of Disney heroines in the princess line, whether they are technically royalty or not. The more the merrier. If heroines like Alice, Esmeralda, Jane, or Meg were in the princess line, we may get dolls of them once in a while, which would be nice.

I am really hoping that we do get a designer heroines line eventually as I think it would be an awesome idea. Also if we got a LE Alice then I cannot see why we can't get a LE Meg, Esmerelda or Jane. Maybe during an anniversary year for them? I know Hercules would be nearing a 20th anniversary soon. Would be nice to see some more LE merchandise of other characters other than the princesses. I love the princesses and think they are amazing but I would hate to own 5 different versions of the same princesses...that would just be silly and make the designer line boring and less special. So I am hoping disney does put a lot of thought into where they are taking these dolls.

like I said before they already have 23 of these designer dolls out there and if they keep releasing 5 or 6 dolls a year it can start becoming excessive and impractical for people to collect the entire "designer" series.

Esmerelda would be a beautiful doll... I would also love to see Aurora in the peasant outfit.

but it is still all about villains for me! ;)

I am really hoping that we do get a designer heroines line eventually as I think it would be an awesome idea. Also if we got a LE Alice then I cannot see why we can't get a LE Meg, Esmerelda or Jane. Maybe during an anniversary year for them? I know Hercules would be nearing a 20th anniversary soon. Would be nice to see some more LE merchandise of other characters other than the princesses. I love the princesses and think they are amazing but I would hate to own 5 different versions of the same princesses...that would just be silly and make the designer line boring and less special. So I am hoping disney does put a lot of thought into where they are taking these dolls.

like I said before they already have 23 of these designer dolls out there and if they keep releasing 5 or 6 dolls a year it can start becoming excessive and impractical for people to collect the entire "designer" series.

I'm not a completist when it comes to collecting dolls, so I personally wouldn't mind multiple designer dolls of each character, as long as they are significantly different from each other. I don't think it would make the previous dolls any less special as long as they are unique from each other. It would make possible for me to choose and buy which designer or LE version I like. For example, Belle and Mulan are my favorite characters. However, I hated LE Belle, didn't like Designer Belle, and while I did think Fairytale Belle was quite lovely, I didn't want to spend $130 on 2 dolls when I just wanted one. I also did not like Designer Mulan and probably won't be getting Fairytale Mulan either no matter how stunning she is for the same reason I didn't get Fairytale Belle.

So I have no special limited designer dolls of either of my favorite characters. But I do want them, a lot. If they do make more special limited dolls of Belle or Mulan, I would be thrilled because they might finally be the dolls I want and love of them. I would love to see them in different outfits than their usual. Belle and Mulan both had 3 other outfits in the movie, all of which could be worked into something beautiful on a doll, but all we ever see are Belle's yellow ballgown and Mulan's reflection depression dress. I can kind of understand the playlines having the same outfits all the time, but adult collectors I think would welcome the variety. And the people who buy these limited edition dolls are adults.

I'm not a completist when it comes to collecting dolls, so I personally wouldn't mind multiple designer dolls of each character, as long as they are significantly different from each other. I don't think it would make the previous dolls any less special as long as they are unique from each other. It would make possible for me to choose and buy which designer or LE version I like. For example, Belle and Mulan are my favorite characters. However, I hated LE Belle, didn't like Designer Belle, and while I did think Fairytale Belle was quite lovely, I didn't want to spend $130 on 2 dolls when I just wanted one. I also did not like Designer Mulan and probably won't be getting Fairytale Mulan either no matter how stunning she is for the same reason I didn't get Fairytale Belle.

So I have no special limited designer dolls of either of my favorite characters. But I do want them, a lot. If they do make more special limited dolls of Belle or Mulan, I would be thrilled because they might finally be the dolls I want and love of them. I would love to see them in different outfits than their usual. Belle and Mulan both had 3 other outfits in the movie, all of which could be worked into something beautiful on a doll, but all we ever see are Belle's yellow ballgown and Mulan's reflection depression dress. I can kind of understand the playlines having the same outfits all the time, but adult collectors I think would welcome the variety. And the people who buy these limited edition dolls are adults.

I didn't say they should stop making LE dolls of the princesses but change things up so that they don't just keep doing designer dolls of the princesses as they are only limited in terms of what designer looks they can do before they all start looking the same. As suggest by others in the past they can just move away from the designer line and start something like the "historical look line" where the dolls are dressed to match the era they were released in or the less favorable "wedding" line.

Either way the point I was trying to make was that redoing the princesses over and over again whilst may appeal to some that are waiting out for a designer doll that they love will in general reduce the spark of these designer dolls as it will feel like they will over saturate the market with dolls based on the same characters with the same look. So whilst I agree that Disney will probably keep basing these LE lines on Princesses I think they will need to start changing up the "designer" look if they want to make the dolls worthwhile getting in the future.

dont forget if your favorite characters are Mulan and Belle then other than some changes to the hair and probably slight changes to the face and dress the dolls will have that same look within the designer line as that is supposed to be their designer look. If Disney were to drastically change a characters look within the designer line it would just look inconsistent and would make the series looked messed up and confused. I for one think they Disney is going down the line of just adding the word designer in front to show the consistency in the series but really I think they should have just called the 2013 series fairytale series rather than designer fairytale because really there wasn't really much designer about them.

I agree with Dollover, there are just too many instances in the line so far where a character is not to me taste. If they just kept doing the line I'd still buy the new princesses I like each year and enjoy them. .... I'd totally be in for a wedding line :hsugh:

I think my main argument is being misconstrued it is not that I don't want any more princesses I just don't want disney to keep using the princesses in a designer line as that will be overkill and not make it worth continuing with the collection. Also there will always be something that people don't like about the dolls. One person may love it but another may not. At the end of the day you have two types of collectors, completists and those that only buy the dolls that they really love which is very much touch and go. I just don't think disney should continue with a designer line after the DFDC part 2 unless they release a heroines line after because doing another princess designer line would be silly. Instead what I suggest is that they release a different line such as a wedding or a historic line of LE dolls and just drop the designer tag. I mean let's face it the recent DFDC line did not look designer at all.

ultimately as a collector I just want disney to keep the line interesting and unique which is what the main appeal was for the line in the first place and I fear that if they keep doing the "designer" line one if two things will happen either they will stay true to the designer look and it will just all start to look the same if they keep using the same characters and will not look as creative and unique. Or they will just start adding the designer tag to everything even if it does not even look designer at all which would just be silly. I think these dolls are great but the one thing I love about them most was their uniqueness and how they were designer renditions of my favorite Disney characters, not just more expensive looking dolls which is where in fear the line may be heading.

Last edited:
Just my thoughts on the Designer lines... I still feel like the 2011 Designer Princesses were the new original concept, the 2012 Designer Villains were in response to the call for Designer versions for the villains, and the 2013 DFDC (and maybe 2014 DFDC) line was in response to the call for Designer Princes. I think we can all agree that there is no way that The Disney Store would seriously consider a collection based only on the princes, even though I would be all over that!

That said, I totally get what Dollover and ladyroselie feel about their favorite characters' Designer or DFDC looks failing to impress. That totally happened to me with the 2011 Designer Aurora. I have high hopes that the future DFDC Aurora will make up for that. Luckily, my OOAK Designer Aurora totally erased whatever I feel for the official Designer Aurora doll, but I also understand that making OOAK dolls is not for everybody. At least the DFDC dolls do present a second option and a second chance. I love the DFDC Belle way more than the 2011 Designer Belle doll, but I certainly understand that there are a lot of people who would be hesitant to drop well over $100 for a pair of dolls, in which that person really only wants one of the two dolls in the pair. Sadly it just comes down to that someone will always be disappointed with some aspect of any given product.

But I also agree with Polaris. Personally, I am (not so secretly) praying that the DFDC will be the last of the Princess designer dolls, or at least that whatever they produce in the future won't appeal to me. Because not only does my wallet take a hit year after year, and I have long since run out of space, but Polaris is right that every new "designer" princess collection does dilute the overall uniqueness of each line and really makes the whole thing looks plainly like a commercial venture (which, yes, it ultimately is, but that very fact does not have to be so obvious).

Right!? A high fashion Designer TinkerBell would be really something. A 17" LE could risk looking odd if they don't get the proportions right...but making her that big could allow for some great detail work.
I'm sure it was posted and reposted in quote-replies a million times last speculation season, but some non-Disney company made a Tink figurine where her dress was elongated in to a gown with a high slit. Even though it looked like she was wearing a Christmas tree, it looked really nice. If Disney took more artistic risks and liberties like that, Tink could be a show stopper.

Also...Jessica Rabbit. Glamazon. That is all. :D

Hey Shiva, I thought your OOAK was stunning. Had I been wanting an Aurora, I'd have gladly paid more for yours than an origional. I mean, yours actually reflected the concept art, made sense, and looked expensive.

I love it when these things look expensive and have all those little details.

I think my main argument is being misconstrued it is not that I don't want any more princesses I just don't want disney to keep using the princesses in a designer line as that will be overkill and not make it worth continuing with the collection. Also there will always be something that people don't like about the dolls. One person may love it but another may not. At the end of the day you have two types of collectors, completists and those that only buy the dolls that they really love which is very much touch and go. I just don't think disney should continue with a designer line after the DFDC part 2 unless they release a heroines line after because doing another princess designer line would be silly. Instead what I suggest is that they release a different line such as a wedding or a historic line of LE dolls and just drop the designer tag. I mean let's face it the recent DFDC line did not look designer at all.

ultimately as a collector I just want disney to keep the line interesting and unique which is what the main appeal was for the line in the first place and I fear that if they keep doing the "designer" line one if two things will happen either they will stay true to the designer look and it will just all start to look the same if they keep using the same characters and will not look as creative and unique. Or they will just start adding the designer tag to everything even if it does not even look designer at all which would just be silly. I think these dolls are great but the one thing I love about them most was their uniqueness and how they were designer renditions of my favorite Disney characters, not just more expensive looking dolls which is where in fear the line may be heading.

Oh, I completely agree with you. I've been using 'designer' and 'limited edition' and 'special edition' interchangeably when I perhaps shouldn't since I guess they are different things. What I really meant was that I would love for the Disney Store to do what Mattel used to do, and have different special collections of the Disney princesses and heroines. Like how there was a 'seasons' collection with Belle, Mulan, Aurora, and Ariel, or the Signature dolls and Anniversary editions. They definitely do not all have to be in the 'designer' style or have the designer name. A historic line would be awesome. And I really want to see some different outfits. There's only so many ways to do Belle's yellow ballgown before it becomes monotonous and boring, which I think it already has.

I understand the reason behind Disney's marketing and making dolls have the iconic look, but I wish they could be slightly original with it too. Arguably, people don't buy the dolls for the kind of clothes they are wearing, just for the quality and the character that is wearing it. They do alternative designs and clothes all the time when they create children's books/sequels/broadway shows/animation shorts/etc. so why couldn't they do it for dolls?

It is particularly annoying with Belle, as many have mentioned. Belle is my favorite (tied with Ariel) but I always liked when she was wearing her blue dress with the apron more, even if it is only a peasant's dress. It is for that reason that I only collect her with that dress on (I have the Forbidden Discovery WDCC and it is probably my favorite collectible that isn't a doll) with exception of dolls. I have never truly liked her ball-gown because it is always made with such harsh yellow fabrics and her hair is never executed properly (it can't be THAT hard to make a widow's peak, for crying out loud!) I wonder what she would look like if they toned down the yellow hue and made it more like the D23 Golden Snow White instead of the awful color they always deck her out in? It is particularly annoying because I'm pretty sure she has the most outfit changes out of any of the other princesses (blue peasant dress, peasant dress with cloak, pink dress with the winter cloak from Something There, green dress when he gives her the library, the golden ball gown, and then of course her holiday dress from Enchanted Christmas, if you count that) although I get that most of them are seen for a very short time. I wish we could see just a little something different for her every now and then!

I know there is only so much you can do with a character design, but originality and uniqueness drove the original designer set through the roof and is the reason they still make them today. I wish Disney would remember that.

Aurora and Phillip would be great.

I like Elsa better than Anna, so if they do any further dolls of them, I would prefer seperates.

I'd love to see alternate dresses used in future lines. That is one reason this year's Ariel is so great. But can you imagine a Jasmine in purple or...RED?! Most characters have at least one other outfit, so I think Disney should use them ^^

I understand the reason behind Disney's marketing and making dolls have the iconic look, but I wish they could be slightly original with it too. Arguably, people don't buy the dolls for the kind of clothes they are wearing, just for the quality and the character that is wearing it. They do alternative designs and clothes all the time when they create children's books/sequels/broadway shows/animation shorts/etc. so why couldn't they do it for dolls?

It is particularly annoying with Belle, as many have mentioned. Belle is my favorite (tied with Ariel) but I always liked when she was wearing her blue dress with the apron more, even if it is only a peasant's dress. It is for that reason that I only collect her with that dress on (I have the Forbidden Discovery WDCC and it is probably my favorite collectible that isn't a doll) with exception of dolls. I have never truly liked her ball-gown because it is always made with such harsh yellow fabrics and her hair is never executed properly (it can't be THAT hard to make a widow's peak, for crying out loud!) I wonder what she would look like if they toned down the yellow hue and made it more like the D23 Golden Snow White instead of the awful color they always deck her out in? It is particularly annoying because I'm pretty sure she has the most outfit changes out of any of the other princesses (blue peasant dress, peasant dress with cloak, pink dress with the winter cloak from Something There, green dress when he gives her the library, the golden ball gown, and then of course her holiday dress from Enchanted Christmas, if you count that) although I get that most of them are seen for a very short time. I wish we could see just a little something different for her every now and then!

I know there is only so much you can do with a character design, but originality and uniqueness drove the original designer set through the roof and is the reason they still make them today. I wish Disney would remember that.

OMG I totally agree with you. Belle is my favorite and main collection and every single darn doll is in that darn yellow ball gown. Enough already. She only wore it briefly in the movie.

I want a beautiful LE doll of her in the pink and burgundy outfit that she wore when having a snowball fight with the Beast. And I too prefer in her the blue dress with the apron.

I almost didnt buy the DFDC Belle/Beast because I didnt need another one of her in the yellow dress. I broke down and got her because I knew eventually Id regret not having that set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back