• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Alice: Through the Looking Glass (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice: Through the Looking Glass (2016)
I can't wait to hear what you think of them. I love my set more and more every day (my most faves always continue to grow on me). I played with them a bit to get them posed the way I like, but I'm going to think about adding Swarovski crystals to Alice some more before I decide (I don't care about the value, because my dolls are in their forever home... and even if they're not I'd rather enjoy them the way I want).

O.M.G. I love them! I didn't have a chance to post anything last night, and I haven't even taken any pix (not that mine will add much to what other collectors have already shown) but ohhhhhhh I am SO SO SO glad I broke down and got them! (Even if it takes a while to pay for them, ha.) First, I gotta give big props to Harrods for the quick shipping and good packaging. I ordered the set on Thursday, when it was already afternoon in the UK, and they arrived on my doorstep yesterday (Wednesday). The set was still sealed in its shipper box, bubblewrapped, and in a larger Harrods box. Perfect. And you are totally right, Blaine--the dolls were, like, picture-perfect when I finally opened the inner box. I've picked up dolls in store and still had to go in and tuck a piece of hair here or remove a stray thread there, whatever, but these were just like, "Hi, we're here! Aren't we gorgeous?" Yes, dollies, yes you are!

I totally see/agree with what you said about these not being the typical "platinum" set. Wedding Cinderella is stunning because of her fancy dress and bits of jewelry--she just has an amazing outfit. These dolls are not like that, but they are still worthy of the platinum designation for me because of the quality and the details. They're not going to be everyone's cup of tea (ha), but if you are an Alice fan in particular, they are breathtaking. I don't even know how to explain it, except what looks kinda boring or standard in stock photos is just gorgeous in person. The materials in Alice's outfit just look absolutely high-quality, and the Hatter's details are very faithfully depicted. I do have the film collection dolls for this movie (aside from Time), and those are incredibly detailed and great value for the price--but you can clearly see a difference in the standards between those and the platinum set. I do not regret buying this set at all.

The other thing that I think needs to be taken into consideration is the royalties. Like, I fully understand people's gripes about the prices on the platinum sets. But at least for Wedding Cindy and this set, you know the actors had to be compensated for use of their likenesses. And you KNOW Johnny Depp's agent wasn't like, "My client will take 10 cents from each doll sale." HA. I think that's another factor with some of the recent LE 17" dolls. Disney is paying the actors whatever Disney is paying the actors ... you can bet your hiking boots that the cost is being factored into the pricing, and if Johnny's cut is substantial, Disney is going to spend less on production to make up the difference. I still think we who wanted them got incredibly beautiful, detailed dolls for our money. And people who didn't want them have a head start on saving up for the Beauty and the Beast dolls this fall. No harm, no foul.

Conclusion: I think these dolls are gorgeous and I'm supremely happy that I let Blaine indirectly peer-pressure me into getting them! ;-)

So I finally lost the battle against myself and ordered the Platinum set from Harrod's when I finally figured out how to call the U.K. People there are so nice!! I've also decided that I would be going to visit England for my next trip. Ok I am rambling still on a high from ordering the dolls. For those who might me interested they have 5 sets left and costs 772$ including shipping! My very own platinum set at retail price purchased. Soooo happy!

You'll love them Pxv703!! I think most of these will end up with collectors who'll be very happy with them. I agree with literally everything you said, Addicted. I don't know if pix really capture how cool Hatter's hands are or his accessories. And somehow Alice just looks more beautiful (than the LE4000 despite having the same face). I opened my set to play with them a bit, so I can say the materials on her shirt are even nicer than they look. Love them so much <3

Should have waited another day...Brexit is happening so the British pound has dropped. For those who are still looking to buy the Platinum set now is probably the time to do it. You can probably get it for cheaper than it was (including shipping) on the US online store...

Alice and the Red Queen are still on sale and if you use the code extra25 the dolls now retail for 75$.

Now that's enough to knock things down. Shipping plus sales tax is still a factor. But it's enough of a savings. Thanks for the information.

Forget what I said. It's 74.99$ when the code is applied so yeah shipping would be added.

Last edited:
The Red Queen is sold out online. As is most of the movie merch. Minus the tea set,compact mirror, Alice logo tank top, and kids costumes. Plus the related books.

It makes me sad that we will probably not get any more LA Alice merch, at least directly from Disney. Alice In Wonderland is one of my collections, especially the LA versions. May have to switch over to collecting from the animated version.

What I have ordered on sale I have been impressed with. Should post pictures, maybe on this thread. I've been waiting to order Alice, hoping for a gift card and another sale. My main collection is BATB but there will be plenty more of that stuff. Both animated and next spring the LA film. Hopefully Alice sticks around till tonight, once I get paid. If I am able to get here, I'll post photos of her (she would stay MIB).

What I have ordered on sale I have been impressed with. Should post pictures, maybe on this thread. I've been waiting to order Alice, hoping for a gift card and another sale. My main collection is BATB but there will be plenty more of that stuff. Both animated and next spring the LA film. Hopefully Alice sticks around till tonight, once I get paid. If I am able to get here, I'll post photos of her (she would stay MIB).

Id say she will be online till later tonight. Please do post pictures! I always love seeing people's hauls and collections.

I keep checking the site, just need her to stick around a few more hours. Of course I will. Seeing people's photos last year of Aladdin, helped sway me into buying him (the LE doll).

I purchased the Alice and Hatter Platinum set from Disneystore Japan yesterday. I couldn't resist, the total came out to around $400 plus what I will have to pay shipping to the USA from my shopping service. Assuming my order doesn't get cancelled (the set has already been removed from the site, so I'm a little nervous), I look forward to getting it in. :) It's a set I really wanted after seeing the photos posted here. It's amazing how much nicer the LE dolls can look in person as opposed to the stock photos. I personally love seeing owner photos!

I have to say, as someone who paid full price for all three Alice LEs, plus currency conversion, plus customs..... I'm kind of dying inside right now :p

Alice and the BATB school supplies set have been purchased. Got the confirmation email. Now to wait for the blast off email and wait again for them to be delivered.

Honestly I thought I'd lost my chance at buying her, since I'm relatively new to Disney doll collecting (started last year with Aladdin). And didn't know they sometimes go on sale. Thanks to this board, I've learned a lot.

Whoa - Alice is still available after being reduced + 40% off. Wonder if they'll reduce her again?

Alice has shipped, she should be here by this Friday. Now comes the wait and hope she makes it here in one piece. Once I debox her from the shipping box.There will be photos.

I have to say, as someone who paid full price for all three Alice LEs, plus currency conversion, plus customs..... I'm kind of dying inside right now :p

Sometimes I've paid more than most people for certain dolls/things as well. Many times I also buy things I like on super-clearance. The difference is, the first category, I felt I did NOT want to miss out on. You never really know for sure how easy something will be to get, and if you really want it (and can afford to), IMO it's worth paying a premium to know you'll have it. So, even if it ends up going for far cheaper later, it was that "insurance" that I paid for - and I only do it for certain items I love, so no regrets!

One thing that annoyed me very much was when I paid almost double the retail price so that I could secure a doll I really wanted with a third party who supposedly had a good reputation for providing those dolls, and in advance of the usual release. They never shipped me anything, even months after people already got their dolls at retail from the usual places! I had to contest the charge through my credit card. That put a very sour taste in my mouth.

I hope your dolls are lovely. I'm sure they mean a lot to you, so try not to focus on what other people paid. They were worth it, to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back